Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've found the lure we all need to add to our tackle boxes. A block of wood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlKFMwplHGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Suspect Bucket posted:

9:00 is the start of action

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

y'all got no excuse now

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ghostnuke posted:

y'all got no excuse now

I only got oak and the bass only bite on pine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
god i've wasted a lot of money

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Now I just need to decide what to try to learn first so I can pick up some flocking and thread in the proper colors. I got a shoe box full of someone else's random stuff to go through and inventory; won it on Ebay.

I'm definitely open to any general advice, or suggestions on baby's first fly!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

would chicken feathers be useful to anyone making lures? I have tons of those.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Gooch181 posted:

Now I just need to decide what to try to learn first so I can pick up some flocking and thread in the proper colors. I got a shoe box full of someone else's random stuff to go through and inventory; won it on Ebay.

I'm definitely open to any general advice, or suggestions on baby's first fly!

Nice! Do a woolly bugger

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Nice! Do a woolly bugger

Best advice ever. Perfect start.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Works for me; I've had the most luck with those so far anyway, and I have a few examples to work from. Thank you!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I finally made a thread for fly tying and tacklecraft in TaH if anyone is interested. It's pretty sparse right now, but this weekend I'm going to make some stuff and document it for thread content. Please feel free to contribute in the meantime!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Dink bass are dumb as gently caress and eat literally anything. Easiest fish I've ever caught.

I want to see him try that with some picky saltwater fish.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Try this for some picky saltwater fish. The weather hasn't exactly been conducive to yak fishing so I did a bit of prep for the warmer weather

That's an unfolded paperclip holding the chin weight in place. It also serves as a tow point for the leader, which is just tied in a half hitch around the beak and the wire. This means the gar is towed from the nose otherwise the hook will pull it's butt hole, which would result in it having gaping arse (or even getting torn a new one)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Have you heard of a cut plug mooching rig? You should check em out if that doesn't work as well as it could, you can get ones that don't slip if that is your preference. Its pretty common for salmon out here. With herring we use as bait you can just put the front hook through the bone in their "nose" and it doesn't rip out

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah your rig reminds me of old timey sardine rigs for salmon. I still have a a few roto killers lying around. Our favorite was a clear plastic cup you placed over the head and then kept in place with half a toothpick. A dental rubber band or thread would keep the trailing hook over the tail.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah your rig reminds me of old timey sardine rigs for salmon. I still have a a few roto killers lying around. Our favorite was a clear plastic cup you placed over the head and then kept in place with half a toothpick. A dental rubber band or thread would keep the trailing hook over the tail.

Lmao thats awesome. People seem pretty split on the trailing hook or not; if you put it in right you get this big looping circles with the bait which really mimics injured baitfish well buttttt yea I dunno. I change it up based on my mood

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lmao thats awesome. People seem pretty split on the trailing hook or not; if you put it in right you get this big looping circles with the bait which really mimics injured baitfish well buttttt yea I dunno. I change it up based on my mood

gently caress bait it’s messy. Plug, hootchie and spoons 4 lyfe

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Have you heard of a cut plug mooching rig? You should check em out if that doesn't work as well as it could, you can get ones that don't slip if that is your preference. Its pretty common for salmon out here. With herring we use as bait you can just put the front hook through the bone in their "nose" and it doesn't rip out

I just googled that, I don’t know how that will go for trolling. The reason I put a chin weight on those was to keep them swimming properly, without that they’ll either spin or lay on their side.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Take a look at this.

Lighthouse Lures Rigged Anchovy Teaser Head (Glow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8BK4RV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NgSHDbN4PJ3DM

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

I just googled that, I don’t know how that will go for trolling. The reason I put a chin weight on those was to keep them swimming properly, without that they’ll either spin or lay on their side.

They're great for that, the roll is the entire reason you hook it that way. Slow rolls for kings

LingcodKilla posted:

Take a look at this.

Lighthouse Lures Rigged Anchovy Teaser Head (Glow) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8BK4RV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NgSHDbN4PJ3DM

Now those are very interesting

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Suspect Bucket posted:

Am I the only one annoyed with how he just chucks the fish back into the water?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

hagie posted:

No.

I am also annoyed at one of the recent tactical bassin' videos. "this lure is great, you can even using it on a spinning rod!" Well yeah, thanks.

Can anyone explain what's so great about baitcasters other than ruining your line? They cast farther or something? I just can't think of any reason I'd use one over a spinner, so I must be missing something.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Supposedly they cast further and more accurately, but they're pretty tricky to use properly. Mine also doesn't make that sweet zzzzzzzz sound when a fish is pulling drag out.

Went creek fishing for salmon on Saturday, we saw a ton of them but they wouldn't bite anything, even when I put it right in front of their faces. Very cool to see them doing their thing even if they weren't biting but I would've loved to land one of those monsters.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Bait casters look absolutely awful.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

hagie posted:

It's just largemouths, yeet them into the sun

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

I'm going river salmon fishing next weekend, thinking about getting a rod and reel for it because my only spinning setup is ultralight. Anyone have any recommendations? If it's something that could do double duty for pike or lake trout or just as an extra bass rig too that'd be great.

I use a Penn Fierce II, 7', Medium Light for steelhead and jack salmon. You could go up a notch to a medium if you want a bit more stiffness. I'm also a big UglyStik fan for cheap and tough. Penn combo is like $75, UglyStik combo is $50. I've used that Penn for pike and lake trout in minnesota with good luck.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

Supposedly they cast further and more accurately, but they're pretty tricky to use properly. Mine also doesn't make that sweet zzzzzzzz sound when a fish is pulling drag out.

Went creek fishing for salmon on Saturday, we saw a ton of them but they wouldn't bite anything, even when I put it right in front of their faces. Very cool to see them doing their thing even if they weren't biting but I would've loved to land one of those monsters.

It’s not you they simply shut down eating and only strike out of annoyance.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yooper posted:

I use a Penn Fierce II, 7', Medium Light for steelhead and jack salmon. You could go up a notch to a medium if you want a bit more stiffness. I'm also a big UglyStik fan for cheap and tough. Penn combo is like $75, UglyStik combo is $50. I've used that Penn for pike and lake trout in minnesota with good luck.

Sending these recommendations. I've got a couple $400+ setups and still keep my penn II rigged up for those times when you just want an extra spinning setup. And the first combo I set up upon moving to florida and taking up fishing again, I paired an ugly stick with a cheapo quantum reel.

Also, while baitcasters can get better distance, its all about the control. Being able to stop your cast or fine tune your braking to get the perfect cast is absolutely amazing once you get the hang of it. I will admit to backlashing like a mofo on occasion still after 6+ years of using baitcasters. This is one of the reasons I use braid on 3 out of my 4 current baitcasting setups. I can pick out a braid backlash without worrying about kinked line and the like. But seriously, once you get into a situation where you can use that control to get back in the nasty stuff without getting hung up, it really clicks and you don't wanna go back. However spinning reels still very much have a place and I've found i use a spinning reel more often when I'm fishing from the bank. But from a boat? Gimmie dat fukkin baitbaster. I'm gonna throw it in the gnarliest cover I can find looking for that one big fish hiding there.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I was trying to get some spoons and spinners going but they'd just move out of the way. It was tricky fishing too because in a lot of spots it was about a foot of water. Still an interesting change from my usual smallie fishing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ghostnuke posted:

Can anyone explain what's so great about baitcasters other than ruining your line? They cast farther or something? I just can't think of any reason I'd use one over a spinner, so I must be missing something.

I use my sole baitcaster for one thing only: bottom fishing a carolina/fishfinder rig. I can heave it way the gently caress out when fishing big saltwater or rivers, and it seems to do better at winching out big/heavy fish

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

would chicken feathers be useful to anyone making lures? I have tons of those.

Yes. I will take them if they're available. I would also love it if they were cleaned as well. Just fire over some pictures of what they look like so I know what I'm getting into here. If they're rooster saddle/cape hackle, I definitely want them. All of them.

gamera009 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 24, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'll see what's floating around the coop tonight. I'm not going to pluck anyone, so I'm kind of limited to what's fallen out lately.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What about squirrel tails, I seem to remember reading somewhere that fur is good fly material.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Squirrel tails, buck tail, turkey tail, hares ear, cul de canard is especially coveted, peacock hurl, all sorts of cool poo poo.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Well squirrel and rabbit season is about to open, if I end up with any tails or ears kicking around I’ll post here

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

the yeti posted:

What about squirrel tails, I seem to remember reading somewhere that fur is good fly material.

The fur is nice. Definitely good tying materials but for now I tend to gravitate to UV ice dub for a lot. Squirrel is good for collars, but I usually end up defaulting to CDC.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

King of Bees posted:

That's dope as hell. As soon as some things fall off the to-do list I'm going to get into gigging as well. Keep us posted!

So I went out tonight and speared nine of these derpy looking motherfuckers

I also got a squid. I wasn't sure how much force I needed to pin one to the bottom and first one I spotted got loving pile driven into the sand. I also saw heaps of rays and banjo sharks, and I nearly speared a big flathead but I'm clearly still figuring out this refractive index poo poo because I missed even though it gave me three chances.

They weren't very big and I'm not even sure if the smaller ones will be worth filleting, if I should bake them whole or just use the little ones for bait. I've got another spot I want to try which is a bit more out of the way and will hopefully have some bigger ones.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
:drat:
Are you spearing sitting in the kayak? Can you show a pic of your flounder light set up?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Steam or bake the little ones sounds like it’d work just fine? :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I remember one thing from reading Hatchet in 4th grade, it's that you have to aim below what you're trying to spear :science: