Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I'd try switching in white miso for red miso (it's a bit sweeter and less salty) and dialing back on the amount. I'd also skip the bean sauce because that stuff is pretty drat salty too. I'm guessing a good amount of the thickness you're remembering comes from the gelatin and pork fat in the broth. If you don't have the inclination to do the full on broth process you can always doctor yours up with gelatin, like kirtar said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Helith posted:

I’m on Miyajima island right now watching my Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki being made. Looks good!

eta: it was good, but I think I prefer Osaka-style

I gotta go back and be offended by this post. Hiroshima 4 lyfe also extremely jealous you're there and I'm not

Ninja E: But we can all agree okonomiyaki is holy while monjayaki is haram.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Thoht posted:

I'd try switching in white miso for red miso (it's a bit sweeter and less salty) and dialing back on the amount. I'd also skip the bean sauce because that stuff is pretty drat salty too. I'm guessing a good amount of the thickness you're remembering comes from the gelatin and pork fat in the broth. If you don't have the inclination to do the full on broth process you can always doctor yours up with gelatin, like kirtar said.

My previous round of experiments months ago were really thin and I didn't think about using miso at the time. I had a 1-pound sack of beef gelatin that my wife got for some kind of crazy papier-mâché shenanigans, and I dumped a bunch in to no major effect. I'm trying to go something like Ramen Tatsu-Ya's mi-so-hot: http://ramen-tatsuya.com/menu/

Yes, yes, with a name like "mi-so-hot" you'd think that maybe it had miso in it. Well, they weren't thin so much as "normal." I thought that spicy red bean paste was like a hot miso paste. I mean, I guess they will use soybeans and stuff, but it ain't no miso.

The broth I'm looking for gets to the point of being stew-like. Like, if I had been braising floured meat and the flour mixed in with the liquids. Or hell, maybe even like a roux. If you press a spoon into it, you'll push the broth aside and right around the spoon it'll actually be higher than the level of the broth elsewhere in the bowl. Rather thick for any ramen I've seen there and elsewhere. The miso has been getting me the perfect texture. It coats the noodles and stays. I look at Hokkaido ramen stuff and see some stuff get there and some stuff that's thinner.

Tonight, I replaced the miso with refried beans that got doused in some soy sauce. This would get me that theoretically thickness, although the refried beans were thinner than the miso. I kept the spicy bean paste. I also used broth kept from yesterday. It was fine this way. So it's either the miso in itself or the miso and the spicy bean paste being in cahoots that makes it too salty.

I was surprised with the saltiness of the miso since I thought people ate that straight. I thought I read that somewhere, but it seems impossible now given how it's described pretty universally as salty. If I ate it straight, they wouldn't have the embalm me after it killed me.

It sounds like if I am going for a miso broth that I should use a soup base with very little salt and also use white miso or whatever I can find with reduced salt.

Slight change in strategy: is there a ramen style that's particular vegetable-heavy? I think my wife is looking for that and I would also need a vegetarian option if I roll this out with buddies at some point. Note that I don't need vegan here. Seafood of any kind even for a flavor is also out. Eggs are cool.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My previous round of experiments months ago were really thin and I didn't think about using miso at the time. I had a 1-pound sack of beef gelatin that my wife got for some kind of crazy papier-mâché shenanigans, and I dumped a bunch in to no major effect. I'm trying to go something like Ramen Tatsu-Ya's mi-so-hot: http://ramen-tatsuya.com/menu/

Yes, yes, with a name like "mi-so-hot" you'd think that maybe it had miso in it. Well, they weren't thin so much as "normal." I thought that spicy red bean paste was like a hot miso paste. I mean, I guess they will use soybeans and stuff, but it ain't no miso.

The broth I'm looking for gets to the point of being stew-like. Like, if I had been braising floured meat and the flour mixed in with the liquids. Or hell, maybe even like a roux. If you press a spoon into it, you'll push the broth aside and right around the spoon it'll actually be higher than the level of the broth elsewhere in the bowl. Rather thick for any ramen I've seen there and elsewhere. The miso has been getting me the perfect texture. It coats the noodles and stays. I look at Hokkaido ramen stuff and see some stuff get there and some stuff that's thinner.

Tonight, I replaced the miso with refried beans that got doused in some soy sauce. This would get me that theoretically thickness, although the refried beans were thinner than the miso. I kept the spicy bean paste. I also used broth kept from yesterday. It was fine this way. So it's either the miso in itself or the miso and the spicy bean paste being in cahoots that makes it too salty.

I was surprised with the saltiness of the miso since I thought people ate that straight. I thought I read that somewhere, but it seems impossible now given how it's described pretty universally as salty. If I ate it straight, they wouldn't have the embalm me after it killed me.

It sounds like if I am going for a miso broth that I should use a soup base with very little salt and also use white miso or whatever I can find with reduced salt.

Slight change in strategy: is there a ramen style that's particular vegetable-heavy? I think my wife is looking for that and I would also need a vegetarian option if I roll this out with buddies at some point. Note that I don't need vegan here. Seafood of any kind even for a flavor is also out. Eggs are cool.

Miso is pretty salty yeah, all the saltiness in miso soup is just from the miso.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations on spice blends for Japanese curry?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I use the blend from this recipe, which is 2 tbsp. curry powder, 2 tbsp. garam masala, 1/2 tsp. white pepper. If you want to get super-fancy you can make your own spice blends, but I'm trash so I just use pre-made blends. I like a Japanese curry powder like this one but McCormick's is fine in a pinch.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

captkirk posted:

Recommendations on spice blends for Japanese curry?

Find a premade one you like and adjust it to suit your specific tastes. Seriously, I don't think it tastes "right" from scratch! (I am a poor currysmith, however.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've never gone through with trying homemade Japanese curry spices since at that point I'd rather just make something properly Indian. Curry blocks for life.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I mean, basically, curry + garam masala + whatever into your roux is Japanese curry. It's so dead simple.. why bother paying so much for curry blocks?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

totalnewbie posted:

I mean, basically, curry + garam masala + whatever into your roux is Japanese curry. It's so dead simple.. why bother paying so much for curry blocks?

Because they're less effort and I like them

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

im on the net me boys posted:

Because they're less effort and I like them

This. Japanese curry is a low effort dinner.

And I don't consider $5 every couple of months a serious expense I need to avoid.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Grand Fromage posted:

This.

And I don't consider $5 every couple of months a serious expense I need to avoid.

I guess you're not eating enough curry.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

totalnewbie posted:

I guess you're not eating enough curry.

I make curry weekly and order roux in bulk and I find that it's not so expensive and certainly worth the cost for me. That and I'm absolutely in love with the roux I buy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
What's y'all's preferred roux blocks anyway? I usually go for Vermont Curry, Hot. (Because it's the best one I've found locally here.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like the max hot java curry with modifications.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Golden Curry extra hot is my favorite but Vermont is definitely a close second

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I also do some modifications but I think that's a given for most people cooking with bricks

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
For sure. I know Vermont Curry has honey and apple in it already but I like a little more honey and I throw in a bit of sambal oelek as well for an extra kick. Sweet and spicy is probably my favorite flavor combo.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 13, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've only had Golden - I figure it's the most popular brand in Japan for a reason. I'll have to try those other brands.

Since I don't live near an Asian grocer and hate waiting for deliveries, I usually find it easier and less stressful to make my own curry roux. It's not that hard to make roux once you get the hang of it - just tedious. I want to try Alton Brown's roux-making method at some point, but it requires more time.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Of the three that I've tried I prefer S&B Tasty (Torokeru) Curry the most as a standalone. I'm probably going to start doing the roux with S&B curry powder or something so I can use a more unsaturated oil rather than like palm or coconut oil.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

S&B curry powder is also great for tuna and egg sandwiches

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Slight change in strategy: is there a ramen style that's particular vegetable-heavy? I think my wife is looking for that and I would also need a vegetarian option if I roll this out with buddies at some point. Eggs are cool.

I'd say whatever commonly goes on vegetarian pho would work well crossing over.
Tofu cubes, mung bean sprouts, thinly sliced onion and carrots? All of those can be easily found at a normal grocer too, except beans sprouts are hit or miss for me and worth a trip to an asian grocery for me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Japan is to boxes of curry as America is to boxes of Mac and Cheese.

Noslo posted:

I'd say whatever commonly goes on vegetarian pho would work well crossing over.
Tofu cubes, mung bean sprouts, thinly sliced onion and carrots? All of those can be easily found at a normal grocer too, except beans sprouts are hit or miss for me and worth a trip to an asian grocery for me.

Aw man--I don't think we've ever gone for pho is I don't have a reference. We got a good showing for bean sprouts and it looks like my wife does actually like them. I thought she didn't. Cabbage was a no-go though. I'll just skim the Internet based on pho.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

totalnewbie posted:

THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Most curry blocks are not vegan and have ungodly amounts of salt in them. That being said, just do the above spices, grate an onion into the roux and add some apple sauce to taste and you've got a reasonable approximation!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yakitori and yakiton today.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

I usually use a mix of Java med-hot and Kokumaro hot, with a block of semisweet Baker's chocolate, a 1/4 cup of ketchup, a cup of cold instant coffee and when completed, a handful of peas and a blast of sharp cheddar.
Tastes pretty good, though I'd you're going to use Vermont you should drop the ketchup and put a spoon of tomato paste instead as Vermont is already sweet enough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

PsyClops posted:

I usually use a mix of Java med-hot and Kokumaro hot, with a block of semisweet Baker's chocolate, a 1/4 cup of ketchup, a cup of cold instant coffee and when completed, a handful of peas and a blast of sharp cheddar.

...is this real?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

It's certainly the most unusual preparation I've heard of, but maybe it's good?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Every time I cook curry it is different depending what I have on hand. Generally I use medium golden curry, add a table spoon of Clive of India curry powder, a tablespoon of Mrs ball hot chutney, some worcestershire sauce, a grated apple and a tablespoon cocoa powder.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

...is this real?

Sounds weird but not weird in a sense that I don't believe it. I've heard some crazy poo poo for curry secret ingredients in Japan. All of those separately have come up, though not together.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I mean, I can understand that the secret of Boston Baked Beans is to dump all your old condiments into it, and the best baked macaroni and cheese needs to be fed the random cheese that's becoming sentient in your fridge, but y'all are halfway to some bizarro-mole-thing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to Japan in October and I have heard many good things about the zoirijushi (spelling?) cookers.

If I wanted to bring one home to Europe, how complicated would that be?
By complicated I mean are there cookers with English labels, do they work at 220V and where would I best buy one? (Flying home from Haneda airport).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You can just buy one on Amazon

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, they have 220v versions at Yodobashi:
https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003421474/

This has the list of branches that stock them:
https://www.yodobashi.com/ec/store/...I4zcOvF0vTtc8g-

edit: or just get it on Amazon

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you're in Europe, you can use https://www.yumasia.co.uk/
They're selling a bunch of compatible Zojirushi models. Might want to hurry, depending on which side of the Brexit you're on, because who knows what that's going to do to shipping costs / times / taxes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I figured Amazon may be the most convenient. Unfortunately International models are so much more expensive it is ridiculous.

As for Brexit, I live in Germany and have friends UK side. So I probably won't be affected. Either I buy tax free or I have it shipped to them and pick it up when I visit, whatever is cheaper.

Also, Brexit ain't happening any time soon of you ask me.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Yeah I figured Amazon may be the most convenient. Unfortunately International models are so much more expensive it is ridiculous.

As for Brexit, I live in Germany and have friends UK side. So I probably won't be affected. Either I buy tax free or I have it shipped to them and pick it up when I visit, whatever is cheaper.

Also, Brexit ain't happening any time soon of you ask me.

not sure about differences in models, but note if for any reason there’s one available in Japan that’s not on your local amazon, it’s very simple to set up an account on amazon Japan, which has international shipping

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I work near Akihabara, I'll try to remember to check the prices on the international models this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Here's what they had at Yodobashi in Akihabara.