Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Low Desert Punk posted:

does a good ernest miller match exist?

he was in the rumble one time (it was the one won by one of two superstars to win from #1, the other being Shawn Michaels). That’s probably it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Blast Fantasto posted:

he was in the rumble one time (it was the one won by one of two superstars to win from #1, the other being Shawn Michaels). That’s probably it.

2004. That's his only entry on Cagematch's Match Guide.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
lance storm vs ernest miller on thunder is online so I watched it, i think it might be the closest thing to a good match. Lance about kills himself trying to get him over

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I liked Ernest Miller.

I always liked the thing he did where he would give his opponent 5(?) seconds to leave the ring, and when he turned around he would get clobbered. I also liked his promos.

I guess I have bad wrestling opinions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

You watched SSW weekly? But at what expense?!

I hated it less than NECW.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I liked Ernest Miller.

I always liked the thing he did where he would give his opponent 5(?) seconds to leave the ring, and when he turned around he would get clobbered. I also liked his promos.

I guess I have bad wrestling opinions.

Ernest was a great character, and thankfully thats how he was mostly used

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

I hated it less than NECW.

Is this just because of the strike you got on your youtube.
Because NECW was bad, but SSW was utterly irredeemable.
Satan will have trouble fabricating a shittier wrestling show than that to torment me for all eternity when I inevitably go to hell.
There are backyard feds with better workers than SSW.
In fact I think every backyard fed has better workers than SSW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sionistic posted:

He really wasn't.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

There was a Scott Norton vs Ernest Miller match on Nitro that was surprisingly fun. Then I think they had a rematch not long after and it was dogshit like every other Miller match.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Werent his matches kept short?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

He really wasn't.

:wrong:

The Cat owned :colbert:

edit: somebody call my mama

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Randaconda posted:

:wrong:

The Cat owned :colbert:

edit: somebody call my mama

Gonna have to side with you on this one. the cat wasnt a good wrestler but he was a great character.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

Gonna have to side with you on this one. the cat wasnt a good wrestler but he was a great character.

:hmmyes:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SLUM KING posted:

There was a Scott Norton vs Ernest Miller match on Nitro that was surprisingly fun. Then I think they had a rematch not long after and it was dogshit like every other Miller match.

It was part of a pretty fun angle. Cat's in the ring, cutting a promo on how he can kick anyone's rear end, basically doing an open challenge. Backstage, the nWo's watching this and someone starts going, "Hey, Norton! The Cat's calling you out!" with everyone else going with it. Norton storms out mid-shave and goes ballistic. He runs to the ring and kicks Cat's rear end.

Then for the next couple weeks, Cat would specifically call out Norton and get thrashed. This led to a PPV match where Cat finally got his win and that was it.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sionistic posted:

My good memories of WCW as a kid are, in order of awesomeness:
1. Sting dropping out of the rafters
2. Jericho
3. La Parka
4. The Cat

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ernest Miller was in The Wrestler and damned if he wasn't good in that too.

Probably his best match, even.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

AkumaHokoru posted:

People say this, but when. His three week feud with Norton that was good because of how awesome Norton was? It wasn't because of The Cat's ability to show rear end and take a beating. His face commissioner run where the highlight people point to are super racist skits with the Dragons?

As a heel commissioner he was horrible. He completely stumbled over his promos and made bad Thunders nearly unbearable. As just a heel wrestler his feuds were mostly with people like Jerry Flynn where he did completely boring matches. He wasn't just a character for 90% of his run, he was a terrible wrestler. And during half of his "just a character run" he was one of the lamest heel authority figures of his era.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah but “your name is the Great Muta and I’ma kick yo great rear end” is some all-time poo poo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

His ongoing feud with the Armstrongs was funny. "Somebody call my mama, I just whupped the whole Armstrong family. Where's Bullet Bob?"

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
The Cat was great because he got James Brown to show up on a WCW pay per view in late 2000.

WCW died as it lived: wasting money

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Is there a single The Cat segment or promo that wouldn't have been better if he was replaced by Ernest P. Worrell?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Cat: "I saw yo momma out back, and your rear end is even bigger than hers!"
Bam Bam: >: (
Tony: OH BOY

Is it true that they didn't even advertise the James Brown appearance?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Cat: "I saw yo momma out back, and your rear end is even bigger than hers!"
Bam Bam: >: (
Tony: OH BOY

Is it true that they didn't even advertise the James Brown appearance?

i believe the cat kept making references to how he knew james brown and how james brown was gonna be coming as his guest and it never happened, because that's the bit, and then yeah at a ppv he did the bit and james brown actually came and performed. unannounced and spontaneously. on ppv lol.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Yeah, the Cat rules.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a single The Cat segment or promo that wouldn't have been better if he was replaced by Ernest P. Worrell?

Seems unfair to compare since Jim Varney was classically trained and did Shakespeare regularly between Ernest stuff

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

i mean of all the money wcw wasted at least they got james brown out of it that time, y'know?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So was Paul Roma really as bad people claim? I know a lot of it stems from not fitting in with the Horsemen, but putting Sid in there was loving stupid, too (in the sense that he didn't need them).

Incidentally the story of what happened with Roma on the Horsemen DVD WWE made is pretty funny, in an insanely petty sort of way: apparently, The Horsemen actually were complimentary initially, then were told Roma poo poo talked them, and they re-filmed the scenes with AA and Flair burying him.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

So was Paul Roma really as bad people claim? I know a lot of it stems from not fitting in with the Horsemen, but putting Sid in there was loving stupid, too (in the sense that he didn't need them).

Incidentally the story of what happened with Roma on the Horsemen DVD WWE made is pretty funny, in an insanely petty sort of way: apparently, The Horsemen actually were complimentary initially, then were told Roma poo poo talked them, and they re-filmed the scenes with AA and Flair burying him.

Paul was a terrible Horseman, but he was an alright low midcarder, I guess.

I wish Austin had found his way into the Horsemen somehow. :smith:

Stunning Steve would have been perfect fit

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

paul roma today would be pretty much the same as MJF

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wrestling is not much more than school drama but featuring adults.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roma was gifted athletically (he was the first guy I ever saw do a hands free leap from the mat to the top rope), and had a good look, but he been portrayed as a jobber for so long that he couldn't shake that stigma. Even when the WWF turned him heel and teamed him with Hercules and Slick, he was still thought of as a jobber. For him to have been taken seriously, the WWF would've had to do a lot more to make him credible than simply turn him heel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Paul was a terrible Horseman, but he was an alright low midcarder, I guess.

I wish Austin had found his way into the Horsemen somehow. :smith:

Stunning Steve would have been perfect fit

Grain of salt because I don't remember the source, but there was supposedly an angle in the works shortly before Austin got buried after Hogan showed up, where Steve was supposed to be Flair's illegitimate son.

I think it was supposed to be a Flair vs Austin feud beginning, though, not with Steve joining the crew.

Greg Valentine also claims he was offered to be a Horseman, which actually sorta makes sense considering how close Flair and him are and how close Flair was to Greg's dad Johnny.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's realistic for Flair to be a dad at 16 but I doubt they were going to try that at any point

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Grain of salt because I don't remember the source, but there was supposedly an angle in the works shortly before Austin got buried after Hogan showed up, where Steve was supposed to be Flair's illegitimate son.

I think it was supposed to be a Flair vs Austin feud beginning, though, not with Steve joining the crew.

Greg Valentine also claims he was offered to be a Horseman, which actually sorta makes sense considering how close Flair and him are and how close Flair was to Greg's dad Johnny.

You can almost physically see the brakes being put on Austin as soon as Hogan, et all comes in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

It's realistic for Flair to be a dad at 16 but I doubt they were going to try that at any point

gently caress realism, give me mid-90s Flair and Austin in his prime.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

You can almost physically see the brakes being put on Austin as soon as Hogan, et all comes in.
Hogan constantly pushing his buddies wouldn't have been so bad if his buddies were actual good wrestlers or performers in any way whatsoever, but the people who get de-pushed in favor of them were mostly all time greats, which makes it that much worse.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Hogan constantly pushing his buddies wouldn't have been so bad if his buddies were actual good wrestlers or performers in any way whatsoever, but the people who get de-pushed in favor of them were mostly all time greats, which makes it that much worse.

I don't hate Jim Duggan but Austin jobbing a belt to him is a loving crime, especially since Duggan was loving cooked at that point

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Hollywood Blonds becoming part of the Horsemen would've been a really smart way to keep the group relevant in the mid-90s and could've been used to springboard Austin and Pillman up the card... if Hogan, Dusty et al actually wanted to push new talent.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Steve was so entertaining during his WCW run, except for the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

The Hollywood Blonds becoming part of the Horsemen would've been a really smart way to keep the group relevant in the mid-90s and could've been used to springboard Austin and Pillman up the card... if Hogan, Dusty et al actually wanted to push new talent.

Flair was trying, until Hogan came in.