Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Got some one-hit wonders I might think about doing deeper dives on.

The Darkness (Hit: I Believe In A Thing Called Love)
The Divinyls (Hit: I Touch Myself)
Deee-Lite (Hit: Groove Is In The Heart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Junpei posted:

That whole album (Permission to Land) is just wall to wall bangers, and very much work checking out in full.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

That whole album (Permission to Land) is just wall to wall bangers, and very much work checking out in full.

Agreed. I'm always a little frustrated that everyone cites "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", when the next track, "Love Is Only A Feeling" is the superior track. It feels like a cover of a lost Queen song.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Franchescanado posted:

Agreed. I'm always a little frustrated that everyone cites "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", when the next track, "Love Is Only A Feeling" is the superior track. It feels like a cover of a lost Queen song.

While it's just a Hawkins solo, I am a big fan of his cover of a great Sparks song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5r78caUcE

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I also really liked their Street Spirit cover.

Tripplejol
Jan 1, 2006

The Power and The Ballin'

Junpei posted:

I think it's very easy to write off The Darkness as just a daft, spoof hair-metal band - and yes, they are but they've also put out some really well crafted albums over the decades they've been kicking around.

The aforementioned 'Permission to Land' is a top album as is 'One Way Ticket To Hell... And Back' which is great from start to finish.

'Hot Cakes' has a few strong songs like 'Nothin's Gonna Stop Us', 'With A Woman', & 'Living Each Day Blind'

I never really took the time to listen to 'Last of Our Kind' but the single 'Barbarian' was pretty special if you'd like to hear an alternate universe version of Led Zepplin's 'Immigrant Song'

Their latest studio album 'Pinewood Smile' however was a massive surprise. 'Buccaneers of Hispaniola', 'Southern Trains', 'Why Don't The Beautiful Cry?' 'Japanese Prisioner of Love', 'Lay Down With Me, Barbara' & 'I Wish I Was in Heaven' are all really strong.

Enjoy.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Xiu Xiu? I've heard Girl With Basket of Fruit but I know they have a lot of range in their sound. What's something in their discography that's a bit more accessible?

Lahar
Sep 14, 2014

internet celebrity posted:

Xiu Xiu? I've heard Girl With Basket of Fruit but I know they have a lot of range in their sound. What's something in their discography that's a bit more accessible?

Fabulous Muscles is pretty accessible and fun.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Give their Twin Peaks album a shot, too.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Junpei posted:

I just noticed I've been listening to a lot of rock/metal JRPG soundtracks, so that made me think: Are there any Japanese rock/metal bands I can listen too?

This is a couple of months old and not exactly "rock" (more J-Goth) but Malice Mizer was basically a J-Goth/Darkpop supergroup that got mega famous in the mid-late 1990s that is worth looping back on. It's insanely theatrical so watching the performances is an important chunk of the experience but it's enjoyable just to listen to as well. Merveilles is a good album to start with because it was really "peak" Malice Mizer.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hey goons, can anyone recommend any rock bands from the island of Great Britain?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

A human heart posted:

Hey goons, can anyone recommend any rock bands from the island of Great Britain?

The Heads. Not the Talking Heads spinoff but the band from Bristol.

Hey Colossus
Mclusky
Black Time (recently recording as Midnight Mines)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A human heart posted:

You like old music so check out The Yardbirds, it's where all the famous British rock guitarists played before making it big.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Dear God I Hate Myself and Always might be good starting points. Both have some good pop songs with the Xiu Xiu experimental noise added to them. Dear God was the first album with Angela Seo as a member and I think he has a big part in shaping their sound in that direction. Production is a little more polished overall but still noisey.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did Cee Lo Green do anything besides gently caress You that's solid?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
he's half of gnarls barkley so that's some discography to explore as well

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

Did Cee Lo Green do anything besides gently caress You that's solid?

Gnarls Barkely's "St. Elsewhere" and "The Odd Couple"
First two Goodie Mob albums
His first solo album "Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections" is pretty cool. A lot of people prefer the follow-up, "Cee-Lo Green Is The Soul Machine".

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Junpei posted:

Got some one-hit wonders I might think about doing deeper dives on.

Deee-Lite (Hit: Groove Is In The Heart)

First two albums are okay and have some fun songs but don't expect anything like Groove. Second has a little better production overall and closer to the sound on Groove. Some repetitive dance tracks on World Clique (their first) that probably sounded fresh in the early 90s but pretty dated now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

PJ Harvey?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

PJ Harvey?

Dry , Rid of Me , To Bring You My Love for the 90's rock. Then I'd jump forward to Let England Shake, which is less rock-oriented, but with more interesting production, and stronger lyrics and more haunting imagery.

I sent you a few songs from Dry and Rid of Me back when we were CineD horror discord regulars, so those may seem familiar.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Dry , Rid of Me , To Bring You My Love for the 90's rock. Then I'd jump forward to Let England Shake, which is less rock-oriented, but with more interesting production, and stronger lyrics and more haunting imagery.

I sent you a few songs from Dry and Rid of Me back when we were CineD horror discord regulars, so those may seem familiar.

Thanks! I recognized some of the songs from dry. LOVE the rock stuff and have yet to dive into Let England Shake but am looking forward to it!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My knowledge of Usher starts with that lyric from Eminem's "My Name Is" and ends with DJ Got Us Falling In Love, any tips?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Boris? I’ve seen them live a couple times and I love Pink, but any recs on where to go from there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

Boris? I’ve seen them live a couple times and I love Pink, but any recs on where to go from there?

If you loved Pink I would suggest Heavy Rocks (the orange one from 2002) and Akuma no Uta next. If you want to explore the many different sides of Boris it gets more complicated.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Voodoofly posted:

Amplifier Worship is their best album, the perfect balance between sludge and soundscapes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

All of these are really good records. I also rather like Attention Please.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Agree with the Boris suggestions so far but I'd like to add that Feedbacker and Flood are legitimate masterpieces. Maybe save them until after you've run through their more conventional material though, they're both a bit more on the experimental side. Also Rock Dream is one of the greatest live albums ever imo.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Killing Joke?

I am likely not seeing TOOL on this recent tour, but seeing the opener made me realize I not super familiar with these guys other than the association with Martin Atkins and hearing "Love Like Blood" a few times in my blurry college days.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Can't go wrong with either self-titled imo. Work chronologically from whichever one you liked more.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

hatelull posted:

Killing Joke?

I am likely not seeing TOOL on this recent tour, but seeing the opener made me realize I not super familiar with these guys other than the association with Martin Atkins and hearing "Love Like Blood" a few times in my blurry college days.

Night Time, their self titled debut, and a later gem is Hosannas from the Basement of Hell

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

PJ Harvey?

I also really like Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea. Rid of Me is great, but hard work - it was produced by Steve Albini and you can tell. I prefer Dry, which is an amazing album.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

This may be a tricky question, but is there a "best" place to start with King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

I know that part of their Thing is that each album has a different genre and vibe, so should I just go with "what genre do I wanna start with" and do that?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

SgtScruffy posted:

This may be a tricky question, but is there a "best" place to start with King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

I know that part of their Thing is that each album has a different genre and vibe, so should I just go with "what genre do I wanna start with" and do that?

Really it's just throw a dart and like it. I'm partial to 12 Bar Bruise and Polygondwanaland. I like the new one, Infest the Rat's Nest as well. It's a nice ode to Doom Metal.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

I like Gumboot Soup a lot, along with Flying Microtonal Banana. Nonagon Infinity is also great, and so is Paper Mache Dream Balloon (that was my introduction)

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
If I love Amoreena and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, what other Elton John poo poo should I give a chance?

Also I love the beginning of Monkey Man by Rolling Stones while hating most everything else by the stones, including Monkey Man after the vocals start.

While I'm posting here I want to say that Strangers by The Kinks sure is a real good song.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fart store posted:

If I love Amoreena and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, what other Elton John poo poo should I give a chance?

Specific songs? "Levon", for sure. "Daniel", "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and "Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me".

Albums? Either Madman Across The Sea, or a greatest hits compilation (Greatest Hits 1970-2002 seems perfect).

fart store posted:

Also I love the beginning of Monkey Man by Rolling Stones while hating most everything else by the stones, including Monkey Man after the vocals start.

You might like their album Tattoo You.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

fart store posted:

While I'm posting here I want to say that Strangers by The Kinks sure is a real good song.

The album that Amoreena is from (Tumbleweed Junction) is really good. Also Madman Across the Water is both an excellent song, and a great album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWrzhWnzhAs

A few random cool unusual Stones songs :

Heaven, off Tattoo You:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxVSsjGitg

Coming Down Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxVSsjGitg

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Elton John's work between 1970 and roughly 1975 is pretty solid all around, and you could do worse than to just grab one of the albums from that period. That corresponds roughly to the first disc of the greatest hits collection that Franchescanado mentioned, so you could also give that a listen and explore based on the songs in there you like.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

fart store posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/13/elton-johns-50-greatest-songs-ranked
Not necessarily the ranking itself, but it's a good list of his strongest songs.

fart store posted:

Check out CCR's Ramble Tamble, wait for the middle part.

The Kinks own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The best 2 Elton John records are Tumbleweed Connection and 11-17-70.