Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Its fine for Conquest type stuff like Planetside and stuff does, but I hate the musical-chairs flow of conquest. the best game mode is BC2 Rush and it's inherently gunna suck to have that many people fighting over a few points, that''s mostly why it worked so well in BC2 and hasn't been as good as any of the subsequent games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reality Sinner posted:

In Alpha protocol all the russian mafia guys are wearing tracksuits and chains lmao this game is racitst as gently caress

Wait to you get to the boss fight, it loving rules

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jazerus posted:

land sea and air motherfucker

bf has consistently made the mistake of abandoning 1942's maximalist approach to what types of vehicles you could drive

the problem with bf3 and bf4 is that it's way, way, way harder to kill a jet or a helicopter than it is for them to kill you, unless you are also a jet or a helicopter

this wasn't a problem in bc2 because there weren't jets and the at4 allowed solo engineers to shoot down helicopters and completely bypass flares

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jazerus posted:

land sea and air motherfucker

bf has consistently made the mistake of abandoning 1942's maximalist approach to what types of vehicles you could drive
planes have only ever been detrimental to bf in 3/4/one/five. helicopters are cool and good because you can also AT4 them and do other things like snipe out pilots, but also they provide actual utility in supressing fire and transporting guys around to flank and break up stalemates with covering attacks. it was super fun crewing them with a full squad and rocking back and forth letting them rack up kills as you deftly dodge people firing rockets at you. there was a pretty good skill balance in both piloting and taking em out with AT4s or even tracer spam and RPGs. you could almost always do something against them if you're good, but also could do a lot with a good crewed blackhawk

planes are bad because their single and only purpose is just strafe bombs, rack up a few kills, and fly away. it never ends up doing anything to help the team win and is purely just padding, and you're pretty much ineffective to do anything even AA guns are usually just trash or quickly sniped off or bombed. they've never made a good balance and never will with planes

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:24 on Sep 23, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I did like that in bf1 you could feasibly shoot down a plane with a LMG

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xaris posted:

planes have only ever been detrimental to bf in 3/4/one/five. helicopters are cool and good because you can also AT4 them and do other things like snipe out pilots, but also they provide actual utility in supressing fire and transporting guys around to flank and break up stalemates with covering attacks. it was super fun crewing them with a full squad and rocking back and forth letting them rack up kills as you deftly dodge people firing rockets at you.

planes are bad because their single and only purpose is just strafe bombs, rack up a few kills, and fly away. it never ends up doing anything to help the team win and is purely just padding, and you're pretty much ineffective to do anything even AA guns are usually just trash or quickly sniped off or bombed. they've never made a good balance and never will with planes

oh ya i could see how jets fundamentally wouldn't work

prop planes were pretty well balanced in bf1942 i felt like but any game set after ww2 is gonna have to grapple with the speed of jets

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I liked how you could tell servers run by dudes who mainly used planes because they always had heat seeking missiles banned.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BbCQv6XaGQ

:sweden:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jazerus posted:

oh ya i could see how jets fundamentally wouldn't work

prop planes were pretty well balanced in bf1942 i felt like but any game set after ww2 is gonna have to grapple with the speed of jets
BF1/5 is technically that but it still didn't really work and they're pretty much jets in all but model. BF5 is abysmally bad because light-arms fire absolutely does 0 damage, can't snipe out pilots, they have an extremely generous self-repair, and all the AA guns are in the worst positions and do very little unless a plane is dumb enough to charge you when they're only at 1/4th life left. if you take enough dangerous damage, just fly away and repair your self and come back in 15 seconds.

The only counter to an enemy bomber was a good fighter-plane on your team, but if the pilot on your team also took a bomber, then its just two bombers waving at each other as they pass and bomb respective teams at random and just hope you weren't randomly somewhere unlucky. actually dice even nerfed fighter-planes pretty badly there for awhile so there was like nothing. their inclusion p much does absolutely nothing to add to the game, and it doesn't help the team win, and is really just a couple of people playing an entirely separate game in making Number go up

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
bf1942 dogfights owned and every plane ever added that was too fast to dogfight with machine guns sucked huge wet rear end

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

favorite bc2 moment was bluffing a tank into driving off a cliff by running at it like I had c4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
new update to cube world at midnight????????????????????

???????????????????

??????

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why should I care about cube world

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i keep wishing someone would make a bc knockoff that let me run people over in a golf cart while listening to surf rock and the sound of distant gunfire but then I realized that a indie multiplayer shooter would be doomed :(

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this battlefield chat has made me reinstall battlefield 4

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Crono Cross is an outstanding game and doesn't deserve the bile a lot of people have for it. Besides the amazing soundtrack, the battle system is really fun and I actually really dug how melancholy and dark the story felt.

Had it been entirely unconnected with Chrono Trigger I'd be inclined to be more sympathetic, though I'd still not say it was a great game on its own merits. However, it's not, so I'm not. It was attempting to walk in some exceptionally large shoes and not only failed to do so, but pitched face first out of those shoes into an open sewer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Taintrunner posted:

im sorry

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taintrunner posted:

sdmh u should hve reinstalled bad company 2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DICE should do the arma model of air vehicles where they have a basic but functional system damage model so helicopters and occasionally fixed wings can and do take critical damage from small arms fire if they get too close. nothing will beat the rush of getting your rotors shot out and just barely clinching a landing

or playing at night but without NVGs so losing your instruments means you have to fly low and slow with the spotlight or risk hitting a tree at speed

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't know if frostbite could handle that without collapsing

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah people should be playing arma instead honestly, arma is the greatest game franchise of all time

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Doom '16 fukken rules :unsmigghh:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I was terrible at being a fighter pilot in BF1 (I was also playing it on PS4 so that may have been part of it) I did Mitch better with ground attack planes and bombers. God that heavy Russian bomber when equipped with mortars was so heavily broken, even nerfed that thing could rack up an insane amount of kills just flying over and bombing an objective.

Though I think the biggest problem with every BF game is getting people to PTFO

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Upmarket Mango posted:

Doom '16 fukken rules :unsmigghh:

its good but none of the levels were memorable or interesting. serviceable to sometimes bad.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

stompy robots

bullshit guns

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Third World Reagan posted:

stompy robots

bullshit guns

dice said they knew people watned this back but they had no idea how they'd do it

lmao

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

dice said they knew people watned this back but they had no idea how they'd do it

lmao

How do they not know how to do this? Line just take what was before and go bigger, or fucki it's been so long since than you could just redo the whole drat thing as a remaster ans people would eat it up. DICE can't be that stupid, how is EA loving this up?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shooters work so much better when they make zero concessions to realism. See TF2. Hell, even Halo.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
doom '16 ruled but the latter part drags because to scale up in difficulty it becomes more and more arenas with largeass bullet sponge guys linked by hallways. run and gun and shotgun imps in the face give me that poo poo i don't really wanna circle strafe a couple hellchonkers in a room with a railgun for 3 minutes again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

KomradeX posted:

How do they not know how to do this? Line just take what was before and go bigger, or fucki it's been so long since than you could just redo the whole drat thing as a remaster ans people would eat it up. DICE can't be that stupid, how is EA loving this up?

i hear battle royale cover shooters with realistic modern mil not-iraq is all the rage these days. lets do that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Chrono Cross more than Trigger.

I love both games, but there's just something about Cross' setting and music and atmosphere and story and (some of) the characters that grabs me even more than Trigger.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrOIgxQ--Tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOaGhE_sejI

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KomradeX posted:

dice got an ea lobotomy so now all it’s Glassdoor posts talk about how the managers are constantly chasing dumbass trends and spreading the developers thin

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Ayn Randi posted:

doom '16 ruled but the latter part drags because to scale up in difficulty it becomes more and more arenas with largeass bullet sponge guys linked by hallways. run and gun and shotgun imps in the face give me that poo poo i don't really wanna circle strafe a couple hellchonkers in a room with a railgun for 3 minutes again

Bosses worst part. Bfg the rest

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shooters work so much better when they make zero concessions to realism. See TF2. Hell, even Halo.

i really like arma as clunky as it is. imo the thing is you have to go fully one way or the other. either it's entirely unrealistic or ultra realistic and bullet drop and acoustics and poo poo is as realistic as possible. when you make the setting realistic but the way everything works is a concession to game balance it makes it dissonant, imo. stop giving us jets that can turn on a dime in the space of a city block and antimaterial rifle rounds that leave giant star wars tracers that are so slow you could walk in front of them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ayn Randi posted:

it was still hilarious that Betheda's idea of marketing doom 16 was a review embargo and only releasing a few videos wehre you walked really really slow and used trophy kills over and over

it took nvidia releasing a video to make it look actually a fun run n gun game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it turns out that there are two faction mods for starsector that I actually like

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

turn off the TV posted:

it turns out that there are two faction mods for starsector that I actually like

gundams and double gundams

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Xaris posted:

i hear battle royale cover shooters with realistic modern mil not-iraq is all the rage these days. lets do that

You have love just chasing the market I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Third World Reagan posted:

gundams and double gundams

They don't really fit with the rest of the game

I like Blackrock and the Kadur and I'm trying out Underworld because the idea of a bougoise pirate cult is kinda funny