Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Did anyone else ever post on FF:WA?

http://www.ffwa.eu/

I did decades ago and remember some mod was kind of a dick. For me the place was notable for sending a birthday email every year for over 10 years. But they stopped around 2 years ago and despite the fact that I hadn't been there in forever. I was still sad to see it go,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Catching butterflies in FFX is annoying and dumb holy poo poo.

Why?

it sucks big time but just wait till you have to try to get a time of 0.0 in the chocobo races

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Crisis Core is weird because it wants to be a prequel to FF7 but also doesn't want to touch anything that was actually important in FF7 (because of continuity issues I guess) so it makes up its own off-brand Sephiroth and off-brand Hojo who are dealt with and apparently completely forgotten by the time FF7 rolls around. And then Zack goes to Nibelheim and the FF7 flashback stuff happens and the game ends with something completely unconnected to the main plot of Crisis Core itself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I dunno if I got lucky RNG or something but I literally don't understand what people complain about with the butterfly catching

butterflies isn't RNG. it's just a set, nearly pixel-perfect route. there are also two different sets of butterflies, and the first one is waaaaay easier

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I fully completed the FF8 remaster last night. :) The only trophy I needed to grind for was the 1,000 kills one, which didn't take that long sped up. I used Holy Wars on Omega Weapon because I have no scruples about playing this broken game "properly".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What do you all think about the rating system in XIII/XIII-2?

I always stress about it but everyone said back when I played XIII that it doesn't mater, just have fun, etc..

I just got my first low ranking in a XIII-2 boss fight and it really is frustrating. I retried several times but no luck and also it's a boss I don't care about(Zenobia in Academia 400 AF).

I have tons of CP but grinding isn't the answer, at least not always.I'm pretty sure I'm leveled appropriately. I just had the wrong technique. Maybe I need to find a better monster. I love my Gremlin, he's been with me since the start and has 600+ Magic and 2000+ HP but maybe it's time I start looking for a replacement.

If I ever get around to playing XV I might actually get good scores in that game. Which is ironic since it's a pure action RPG but seems more forgiving than XIII.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like getting 5 stars in XIII but its completely meaningless so if I got like 3 or 4 on a boss Im not gonna redo it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does getting a good ranking even get you anything?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It was probably a good idea in XIII because if someone was getting 0 stars in every single battle you'd think it would help them take a step back and figure out what they're doing wrong

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does getting a good ranking even get you anything?

On bosses no but it boosts drop rates for stuff. Its also a good indicator if you are playing the game correctly, for whats it worth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The amount it boosts drop rates is pretty low and the only two enemies you want a boosted drop rate on you're either going to 5 star the fight or not finish at all so its meaningless there.

Annoyingly doing really badly, like 0-1 star boosts the game giving you veils.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The optimal way to play is to intentionally suck so you can skip random encounters and buff yourself before bosses.

I mean that's probably not true but let's pretend I'm right for the sake of humor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah I try to get 5 Stars for random encounters all the time for items but on bosses it's just kind of a pride thing. I ended up getting 2 stars against Zenobia as I overshot target time by about a minute.

WaltherFeng posted:

Its also a good indicator if you are playing the game correctly, for whats it worth.

I always found that an interesting question, though. Is there a wrong way to play a video game? Were we all wrong for spamming GFs in FFVIII and would the game have been better for giving us poo poo ranks for that?

I swear some game dev actually commented on how, given the choice, gamers will always pick the most tedious and unfun way possible to complete a game. That's kinda me. FFXIII meanwhile punches you in the face and tells you to stop doing that. But most JRPGs aren't like that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 22, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

The optimal way to play is to intentionally suck so you can skip random encounters and buff yourself before bosses.

I mean that's probably not true but let's pretend I'm right for the sake of humor.

That's basically how speedrunners do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The wrong way to play a game is whatever prevents you from progressing. An unenjoyable way is many times more myriad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

I swear some game dev actually commented on how, given the choice, gamers will always pick the most tedious and unfun way possible to complete a game. That's kinda me. FFXIII meanwhile punches you in the face and tells you to stop doing that. But most JRPGs aren't like that.

People will grind if that's what the conventions of the genre have accustomed them to, but I think FFXIII is pretty good at preventing people from grinding.

A game designer's job is to arrange things so that the most effective way to play is also the most fun way to play. Placing time pressure on the player through the use of stagger while also keeping the party members very fragile is a good way to accomplish that, since you're forced to continually re-prioritize on a turn-by-turn basis instead of mindlessly trading blows and occasionally casting a healing spell like you would with typical RPG's combat mechanics.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Fister Roboto posted:

That's basically how speedrunners do it.

They do it for a bit in Chapter 2, yeah. I still don't get why Chapter 2 of all chapters has a bigger shroud drop rate than others but w/e

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Eschenique posted:

Did anyone else ever post on FF:WA?

http://www.ffwa.eu/

I did decades ago and remember some mod was kind of a dick. For me the place was notable for sending a birthday email every year for over 10 years. But they stopped around 2 years ago and despite the fact that I hadn't been there in forever. I was still sad to see it go,

I used to. I did a couple musical quizzes on there that took the recurring themes from multiple FF games, stitched them all together, then challenged people to figure out what order they were playing in.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

romanowski posted:

the layout of the ragnarok doesn’t make any sense!!!! i’m having an existential crisis over here

I still cant figure out the layout of Deling City no matter how many times I go through that place.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I still cant figure out the layout of Deling City no matter how many times I go through that place.

that's why everyone just takes the bus

I mean it comes like every fifteen seconds. it's like a transit paradise

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its a circle with a line through it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry to go back to my previous topic but doesn't FFXIII have a mechanic you can turn on but it always guarantees you poo poo ranking? Is it like a Wait Mode? I just remember I turned it on when I first played the game years ago and was always getting no stars so I turned it off.

That seems like a huge oversight on the dev's part if I'm remembering right. An option provided by the game results in the game saying you are playing wrong.

The dangerous thing about XIII-2 is it makes me want to replay XIII. No such thing as a bad FF game, XIII has a lot I liked about it. But I know I'm being nostalgic now and overlooking everything I hated about it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sapozhnik posted:

A game designer's job is to arrange things so that the most effective way to play is also the most fun way to play.

Yep. But many aren't great at it or don't consider it enough.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Deling City and Esthar are confusing but I mean the Ragnarok has a set of stairs that you can walk down over and over again forever without ever going back upstairs. it's like an mc escher painting

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry to go back to my previous topic but doesn't FFXIII have a mechanic you can turn on but it always guarantees you poo poo ranking? Is it like a Wait Mode? I just remember I turned it on when I first played the game years ago and was always getting no stars so I turned it off.

That seems like a huge oversight on the dev's part if I'm remembering right. An option provided by the game results in the game saying you are playing wrong.

The dangerous thing about XIII-2 is it makes me want to replay XIII. No such thing as a bad FF game, XIII has a lot I liked about it. But I know I'm being nostalgic now and overlooking everything I hated about it.

This was not a thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This was not a thing.

I think you're wrong. Looking jt up via Google, if you set Battle Speed to Slow, it doesn't effect target time but it does makes all your actions take longer so you are far more likely to get a poo poo ranking.

0 stars might have been me being bad but it still seems like you're more likely to get 3 stars instead of the 5 you would have gotten normally. Similarly if you would have gotten 3 stars normally you might get 1 star on Slow.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i can't imagine why you would ever put it on slow

honestly feels like a gameplay option that was added in by someone other than the people responsible for actually designing the battle system, who refused to accommodate it because it sucks

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

i can't imagine why you would ever put it on slow

honestly feels like a gameplay option that was added in by someone other than the people responsible for actually designing the battle system, who refused to accommodate it because it sucks

That would be fitting as FFXIII is full of things that are actively antagonistic to one another and feel like they came from various people with their own ideas and no care at all for overall cohesion.

Like the theory that the cutscenes came first and the plot just bends over backwards to accommodate them which is why Cid and Rosh are dead and then alive again with barely any justification.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Wrapping up FFVIII remastered in the next day or so. It's been fun to revisit after so long. Couple of trip report thoughts:

*I never would have made it through this game without the X3 speed toggle. Holy poo poo everything is so slow. Menus. Combat. The world map. Even dialogue. And what's up with certain Triple Triad players taking an eternity to play a card? Especially you, Martine.

*Junctioning 100 drain to status attack is fun but even more fun with the Darkside command and I wish I had figured that out sooner than disc 3.

* My partner is sick of the Triple Triad theme. Triple Triad is still great but I'm so glad there are nerds out there with uploaded videos to show how to manipulate the RNG to ditch Random, saved me a lot of back and forth in Trabia, Centra and spaaaaaace. Speaking of which...

*PRETTY SURE YOU'RE USING YOUR BULLSHIT POWERS TO CHEAT AT TRIPLE TRIAD ELLONE! Took me a solid hour to get Laguna's card. I got random abolished from space but I had a screaming headache most of the day so had trouble spying her setups and understanding Same/Plus/Same Wall rules.

*How Degenerator made it to live in its borderline seizure-enducing state is beyond me. I forgot how much of a visual assault this game can be.

*The only useful GF to ever summon is Cerberus don't @ me he's the best boy. I ended up going for a level 100 team anyway because of Odin. He killed so many enemies and levelled me up that by the time I got Ragnarok, Squall/Quistis/Selphie were about lv70 anyway.

*The mechanics of the game absolutely scratch the same itch I get for playing MMOs. Although horribly explained junctioning is interesting and deep, and refining is absurdly sprawling. I love them.

Very enjoyable trip down memory lane. I still prefer VII's story and think the cast there are better developed overall (although individually Squall is way up there despite his infatuation for Rinoa seemingly coming out of left field. Teenagers eh?) But it's definitely a lot better than I remember it being.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c

boingy boingy boingy

clap-clap clap

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

(although individually Squall is way up there despite his infatuation for Rinoa seemingly coming out of left field. Teenagers eh?)

it's not so much that it comes out of nowhere as much as the scenes where it develops most are often optional and hidden, like how you have to choose the jig at the concert to get the more emotional conversation

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The bit that sticks out to me is right at the end of Disc 2 after saving Rinoa where Squall's internal monologue reflects on everyone trying to push the two of them together, and he still seems kind of lukewarm towards her.

Then Disc 3 has Squall going off the walls in a short space of time because of Rinoa's predicament. THEN he goes back to acting lukewarm on the Ragnarok until he goes to rescue her again at the memorial.

Like, I get it, Squall has a very difficult time expressing his emotions outside of his inner monologue and deliberately puts up a cold front to shut people out and protect himself. I think it's done really well, he just seems to go from 0-100 regarding his feelings for Rinoa and I just feel like there's only so much his characterisation can cover up where I feel the writing missed the mark. To me it feels less organic than say, Zidane and Garnet. I still dig it, though.

E: yeah I got the jig music conversation (always have, somehow) and for the record I got to play matchmaker with Zell and library girl. That was super adorable :3:

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 23, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

it's not so much that it comes out of nowhere as much as the scenes where it develops most are often optional and hidden, like how you have to choose the jig at the concert to get the more emotional conversation

I like sending her to the missile base because the reunion between her and Squall is the first real warm moment they can have. Assuming you pick the nice response anyway.

Quistis has some stealth character development, too. You have to have her in your party at points to see it, like taking her to space or bringing her to the orphanage when you go to meet Rinoa.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Wrapping up FFVIII remastered in the next day or so. It's been fun to revisit after so long. Couple of trip report thoughts:

*I never would have made it through this game without the X3 speed toggle. Holy poo poo everything is so slow. Menus. Combat. The world map. Even dialogue. And what's up with certain Triple Triad players taking an eternity to play a card? Especially you, Martine.

Yep. I dunno why FFIX has the reputation as the slow FF when VIII is so much more agonizingly tedious in every regard. Every single battle animation takes far too long.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 23, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think always having access to the speed toggle makes normal speed seem super slow when it's honestly fine. Like in XII I was eventually turning on x4 just to walk around town or w/e which is a little silly

But I guess drawing in VIII can take forever

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I passionately dislike TT but this fuckin' slaps

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I think always having access to the speed toggle makes normal speed seem super slow when it's honestly fine. Like in XII I was eventually turning on x4 just to walk around town or w/e which is a little silly

But I guess drawing in VIII can take forever

Why would you draw when card mod exists?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Refine those wizard stones you have cluttering your inventory!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just meant with specific magic like triple or w/e because I'm not refining my character cards

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Meanwhile i got FF7 on steam only to find out it does not have a speed up function unlike the PS4 release. What the gently caress, Square?

Apparently the reunion mod gives you the ability to speed up the game, but gently caress i could figure out what part of it does that and i certainly don't want the full thing (eww the new character models and scottish Cait Sith)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Squall turning Balamb Garden from crashing into Balamb gives strong Homer Simpson preventing a Merton at the Shelbyville power plant.