Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

im still holding out for us getting the dwarf dlc maps back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did I hear that the Drachenfels map was making a comeback?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Basically it sounds like they're replacing paid DLC map packs with a cosmetic store that Lohner will run, in-game. From that point forward, they'll be releasing alot of maps for free, with the Drachenfels maps being the first of those. I kind of expect to see alot of older maps coming back, ala Drachenfels.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 25, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would like to see the objective maps come back to break up the marathon maps. Give me Black Powder, The Docks, hell even Wheat and Chaff.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

Thanks guys! Grabbed the Ubersreik pack.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

In to report that this game is absolutely the same since I last played it. I can see there's been some changes to the talents or w/e but NOPE, game is the same

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Today's patch seems to have broken Quickplay. If you want a game you'll have to join manually.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
man this patch did wonders about making beastmen feel less bullshit to fight. i might give legend another go, haha

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Did they fix bullshit spawns?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

The answer is no, but the game is still really drat fun

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

If anything the spawns on Legend are worse than they ever were

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah I played a few games on Legend last weekend to get back into things but we didn't win a single one. I know I'm rusty, but gently caress.

I can't imagine what Cataclysm must be like

e: alright I'm back in business

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 30, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I played a few games on Legend last weekend to get back into things but we didn't win a single one. I know I'm rusty, but gently caress.

I can't imagine what Cataclysm must be like

e: alright I'm back in business

drat. There are so many more enemy units beyond veteran difficulty. I don't think I've ever seen anyone hit 700 hits on veteran.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A lot depends on the map. If you're playing, say, Into The Nest, the game is going to throw tons of ratmen chaff at you, and it's easy to get a lot of kills.

By the by, Sienna is unjustly maligned, as you can see she can actually be very powerful, you just need to build and play her right. The main challenge is dealing with having to get in close to be effective while also being squishy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So did Winds of Magic end up killing the game or did you all just move to deep rock galactic?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
had my fill of destiny 2 and am just waiting for whatever the halloween thing is to get back into doing dailies for this again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I reinstalled Left 4 Dead 2 the other day. I know the game is ten years old but I forgot how floaty it was and how sketchy hit detection could be, especially with melee weapons. Also having a Valve game without an FOV slider is rough. It's still fun but I feel like a lot of the difficulty comes from fighting the controls more than the zombies. And it made me appreciate how good the melee combat in Vermintide is in comparison.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The FOV thing in L4D makes me sick these days. I'm getting old.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What I remember most about left4dead was waving a firstaid kit around with both hands in front of me and it having enough force to kill dozens of zombies surrounding me or to crunch special infected players to death.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What I remember most about left4dead was waving a firstaid kit around with both hands in front of me and it having enough force to kill dozens of zombies surrounding me or to crunch special infected players to death.

I remember binding mouse 1 to be attack and a voice command, so I'd be running around shooting and screaming "I hate Ayn Rand!"

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So did Winds of Magic end up killing the game or did you all just move to deep rock galactic?

Bit of both for me DRG just seems to get better every patch and they quickly hotfix most issues. Winds while a great idea the separation from the base game, all the bugs, and the bullshittiness of beastmen just drove me to stop playing again. I really want to like Vermintide 2, but it follows the Blizzard design scheme where they just keep randomly throwing new things at it hoping that will fix it instead of iterating on their current systems like DRG or PoE.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, the beastmen are a bit bullshit. They're not a bad idea, but they never fixed the enemy ice skating issue, and combined with the deceptively long range that the grunts have, it's led to a lot of cursing on my part. If you're playing as Sienna and you get hit by even the weakest type of beastman, that's usually at least half of your health gone.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Did they fix the issue with enemies spawning behind you or on top of you? That bug combined with beast men not being very fun made me stop playing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The last few patches sorted out a bunch of Beastman related issues, rebalanced them and changed up some of their tactics. Try it and see.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Thought about getting into this game again with some friends. How necessary is the DLC, it seems to have terrible reviews... what happened?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Skyarb posted:

Thought about getting into this game again with some friends. How necessary is the DLC, it seems to have terrible reviews... what happened?

You'll get a mixed response on that.

Short version: they are almost entirely unnecessary and the Winds of Magic stuff is mostly unusued. The really important updates were free and the new maps are accessible when you group with DLC-havers.

The only real reason to grab the DLC is if you are the only person who hosts in your group of friends or if you want the extra weapons that are part of the DLC, which are nice, but I wouldn't call them "nessecary".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I just realized I've literally never finished Fortunes of War on Legend. It might be a little overtuned

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
further elaborating on mendrian's answer, the beastmen faction were added in the free patch, and were rather overtuned at release. coupled with the new stagger system they added, it was a big change to the pace of combat, and beastmen hordes (and dark omens, the beastmen map) would be really tough or just plain bullshit encounters in a lot of spots. to vent, people downvoted the accompanying DLC, much like what happens when a particularly unpopular patch would come out for a paradox game or whatever

doubt many people do the weaves anymore, though imo the weapons are real good and add a lot of options in particular to ranger and slayer bardin (throwing axe power build for ranger, actually having a ranged attack as slayer). if you have a crew with the scratch, you might like the weaves, i dunno

also skating enemies only feel unfair under heavy lag now, only the quicker swings (not stabs like stormvermin do) need to be blocked or dodged on reaction and they're pretty much the realm of chaos warriors and marauders only

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've got some bad muscle memory from Vermintide throwing me off in Left 4 Dead 2. I keep wanting to do a backwards dodge only to jump when I press S and Spacebar together. No side dodges either.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Did they nerf Zealot or what? I'm getting completely destroyed. I've noticed there's no more temp health on hit, which is brutal. Why was it necessary to change this? It's not like Zealot was so overpowered.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Phlegmish posted:

Did they nerf Zealot or what? I'm getting completely destroyed. I've noticed there's no more temp health on hit, which is brutal. Why was it necessary to change this? It's not like Zealot was so overpowered.

Zealot's gotten hit with some serious nerfs, yes. And very recently, some people were "exploiting" a combination of Zealot and THP talents to always run with full THP and be basically unkillable. Fatshark patched it a week or two and broke literally all the THP item traits doing so :shrug:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is this game as good as the first one yet

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
no

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Zealot's gotten hit with some serious nerfs, yes. And very recently, some people were "exploiting" a combination of Zealot and THP talents to always run with full THP and be basically unkillable. Fatshark patched it a week or two and broke literally all the THP item traits doing so :shrug:

Didn't Zealot have a trait that capped incoming damage per hit? I think that's the biggest change, I go down so easily now, especially combined with the temp health nerf.

I don't understand what his niche is supposed to be now. I might as well go back to playing pyro with mace, she's actually better at taking out elites.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
zealot had 150hp, a damage halver/capper talent, power (and others from talents) boosts from low HP that procced from grims, an ult that boosted attack speed and can be talented into topping THP, and mercy invincibility

some of these had to go, a half-decent zealot would be near impossible to down before 2.0 and would also be killing everything at the same time

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

zealot had 150hp, a damage halver/capper talent, power (and others from talents) boosts from low HP that procced from grims, an ult that boosted attack speed and can be talented into topping THP, and mercy invincibility

some of these had to go, a half-decent zealot would be near impossible to down before 2.0 and would also be killing everything at the same time

Yeah it owned whyd they have to nerf it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
gotta Earn Your Wins

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
you'd have the sienna blasting the zealot down to one pixel of green health at the start of the map, thereafter he'd be at max temp health for the rest of the run. it was a bit ridiculous tbh

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can agree that he needed a nerf, but he's useless now. He doesn't really have a role anymore. They should have gone after either temp health generation rate or the damage cap, but not both.

e: alright, getting back into the groove a bit.

I think leveling from 30 to 35 is making a difference, too.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I think leveling from 30 to 35 is making a difference, too.

yeah apart from pre-patched beastmen being fuckers, i felt like legend was tuned for 650 power as the new max

also i thought i was hearing things but nah, there's new/old but unnoticed until now voicelines between lohner and your active hero when idling in the keep. for kruber, there's one where lohner challenges him to a card game and kruber declines, and another where lohner is talking about a proposition he made all hush-hush and kruber says he'll think about it since he's busy atm

add: another, lohner asking kruber to see if the keep's defences are alright, and kruber says they'll be fine as long as they don't attract too much attention

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 6, 2019