Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When he absorbs the Omega Force he can become ApopLexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Bit scared to ask, but anyone check out Flash Forward? The actual story and stakes at hand are not, like, godawful, but the intro to the actual story -- putting Wally in a fuckin' supermax prison along with the worst of the worst criminals and murderers -- does the thing I hate where there's no way the characters in this universe are this callous but, whoops, they put it in the book while no one was looking and now we're stuck with the fact that Barry, Clark, Bruce, and everyone else in the hero community are just like "eh whatever he'll be fine in there"

Also Lobdell is overwrought here. Purple prose doesn't begin to cover it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Bit scared to ask, but anyone check out Flash Forward? The actual story and stakes at hand are not, like, godawful, but the intro to the actual story -- putting Wally in a fuckin' supermax prison along with the worst of the worst criminals and murderers -- does the thing I hate where there's no way the characters in this universe are this callous but, whoops, they put it in the book while no one was looking and now we're stuck with the fact that Barry, Clark, Bruce, and everyone else in the hero community are just like "eh whatever he'll be fine in there"

Also Lobdell is overwrought here. Purple prose doesn't begin to cover it.

That's just how Lobdell is though. At least in everything I've ever read that he's written. The man loves him some melodrama.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

This is just proper ethical continuation of their characters after Heroes in Crisis. The modern JL members haven't been very good at those ethics for awhile now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No amount of love for Wally is worth subjecting yourself to Lobdell and Booth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve never been real precious about Wally like a lot of people here are, but DC hosed things up with Wally on every level since the New 52.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Justice League broke the Source Wall, which released this cosmic lady who had birthed the universe for evil before her kids, Monitor, Antimonitor and a new guy, shut her away.
Lex has let her turn him into one of the "apex predator" creatures she originally populated her evil universe with. This also involved him absorbing Martian Manhunter.

TwoPair posted:

Luthor blew himself up and then came back in a clone body only genetically redesigned to match Perpetua's* original blueprint for humanity. Supposedly it makes him better in... ways... that we haven't really seen, in practice thus far it's just allowed him to act like even more of a prick.

*Perpetua is the heretofore never mentioned creator/god of the multiverse who was sealed away behind the Source Wall because her plans were some kinda hosed up "only the strong survive" hell earths.

Grey Superman is a weird look I can't lie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC is saying that James Tynion is taking on Batman from #86-100, then a new writer (not Bendis) comes on and Luke Fox becomes the new Batman.

Spoiled in case there's truth to it.

Reminder that Batman will be monthly, so that'll be in 2021.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 20, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

BC is saying that James Tynion is taking on Batman from #86-100, then a new writer (not Bendis) comes on and Luke Fox becomes the new Batman.

Spoiled in case there's truth to it.

Reminder that Batman will be monthly, so that'll be in 2021.

If that rumour is true than I am a bit disappointed. I was never really a fan of that character (or I guess on how he was written. Duke/The Signal should be the next Batman

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Madkal posted:

If that rumour is true than I am a bit disappointed. I was never really a fan of that character (or I guess on how he was written. Duke/The Signal should be the next Batman

At least it's not Rorschach 2.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thranguy posted:

At least it's not Rorschach 2.

That would be amazing.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Cass Cain should be the next Batman, but DC I'd too cowardly to do anything that cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Official
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1175505432418406400
edit: No word yet of his run ending at 100.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I liked Tynion's Detective, so I'm pretty happy about him on Batman. Not a fan of someone else being Batman again, since it's already been done twice in the last decade (three times if you count Incorporated I guess), but presumably it won't last terribly long if it's actually happening at all since there's a new Batman movie franchise starting in 2021.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 23, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm only going to bother with King's 100 issues Rebirth run when it's out on omnibus. I've got enough to read until then and it seems to be real up and down as it is in terms of quality.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I'm only going to bother with King's 100 issues Rebirth run when it's out on omnibus. I've got enough to read until then and it seems to be real up and down as it is in terms of quality.

It's super disconnected from everything else, and reads better in big chunks imo anyway because of how self indulgent it is (even as someone who mostly likes the run), so I think that's the right call.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sinteres posted:

It's super disconnected from everything else, and reads better in big chunks imo anyway because of how self indulgent it is (even as someone who mostly likes the run), so I think that's the right call.

Word. I'm still working through my back catalog of the Morrison and Knightfall arcs. Also reading Gotham by Gaslight for the first time. It's neat, but not super pulling me in.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Word. I'm still working through my back catalog of the Morrison and Knightfall arcs. Also reading Gotham by Gaslight for the first time. It's neat, but not super pulling me in.

Read Batman: The Cult. Do it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr Hootington posted:

Read Batman: The Cult. Do it

That's on my Amazon wish list. Along with about 10 other Bat-books. We'll see which ones my gf picks for xmas/bday coming up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

Also reading Gotham by Gaslight for the first time. It's neat, but not super pulling me in.

I wish Gotham by Gaslight was longer. I loved it, but it really feels like there should be more. 48 pages just wasn't enough.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Tynion's Detective Comics was one of my favorite books of the Rebirth era and I collected all issues, so I'm hoping he'll pick up on some of those threads again (too bad Cassandra is in Outsiders rn)

He's not without his own issues, of course. I'm not looking forward to the seventh or eighth iteration of some villain who wants to bring down Batman 'cuz Batman's methods don't work or whatever. But I'm at least confident that he'll put in a lot of things I like as well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

catlord posted:

I wish Gotham by Gaslight was longer. I loved it, but it really feels like there should be more. 48 pages just wasn't enough.

I just finished the first half of it where the antagonist is apprehended, and it just felt kind of limp. I had guessed who the bad guy was as soon as he appeared on page and he just kinda goes "eh whatever you got me" at the end. Trying to be vague to avoid spoiling it, but it seems like the book is more interested in the gimmick of a Batman in a Victorian era than in actually making the story interesting. I was kind hoping that Jack would be Joker and it would be a twist on the mythos of how Batman meets Joker, only this time in 1800s London.

Granted, I haven't read the second half of the book, and it could turn out to be amazing. We'll see.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

I just finished the first half of it where the antagonist is apprehended, and it just felt kind of limp. I had guessed who the bad guy was as soon as he appeared on page and he just kinda goes "eh whatever you got me" at the end. Trying to be vague to avoid spoiling it, but it seems like the book is more interested in the gimmick of a Batman in a Victorian era than in actually making the story interesting. I was kind hoping that Jack would be Joker and it would be a twist on the mythos of how Batman meets Joker, only this time in 1800s London.

Granted, I haven't read the second half of the book, and it could turn out to be amazing. We'll see.

I assume that limpness is because they were limited to 48 pages. I mean, solving the Ripper Murders in 48 pages? Master of the Future is fun, but it's not deep or anything. Weirdly light though, which I must admit is a nice change.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So there's all kinds of rumors that a new Arkham game will be announced soon, possible today. The rumors also claim that this will be a game that will feature some kind of faction war between League of Assassins, Order of St Dumbass, and the Court of Owls and will be co-written by Snyder. I love Batman, I love the Arkham games, and I love this idea.

And that got me thinking: is No Man's Land the only real Batman story that features multiple "factions" battling for territory and such while the heroes are caught in the middle? I almost always enjoy that premise. And for that matter, is there ever gonna be a No Man's Land Omnibus?

Edit: holy poo poo, no omnibus, but there is a novelization of No Man's Land? That comic was a bit scattershot and hard to follow (for me), has anyone read the novelization of this or any of the other Batman stories? Are they worth picking up?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 24, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As far as turf war stories you could read War Games. Don't read War Games though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Madkal posted:

As far as turf war stories you could read War Games. Don't read War Games though.

I won't read War Games. I might need to give No Man's Land another chance. When I read it the first time, I had ordered all the No Man's Land trade paper-backs as well as the first Morrison-run trade and I think I was just ancy to get through NML so I could read Morrison's work.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: holy poo poo, no omnibus, but there is a novelization of No Man's Land? That comic was a bit scattershot and hard to follow (for me), has anyone read the novelization of this or any of the other Batman stories? Are they worth picking up?

I remember enjoying the No Man's Land novelization as a kid. If I remember correctly, it was written by Greg Rucka. I also remember reading a Knightfall novelization a bunch of times

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Yeah, I think I still own the NML novelization and got about halfway through it before questioning what I was doing with my life that had led me to reading a Batman novel. It's not bad and does away with some of the extraneous plotlines (ask me my feelings about the Nick Scratch storyline), but it is ultimately a novel about Batman. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're just really into the idea of reading a book without pictures about Batman instead of the comics.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Parallax posted:

I remember enjoying the No Man's Land novelization as a kid. If I remember correctly, it was written by Greg Rucka. I also remember reading a Knightfall novelization a bunch of times

I had the Knightfall novel too-- it gave me the very false impression that Abattoir and Cornelius Stirk were big deals, as well as Bane's crew of awful nobodies who I can probably still list off the top of my head thanks to that book (um, let's see-- Trogg, Zombie, and Bird or Byrd or Byrde, and you know what, all these years later I finally get the joke).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any good Batman novels, whether cribbing from comics or not? My gut tells me “no, and why would there be” but I kinda want to be wrong.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Forensic Files of Batman wasn’t bad. It’s a series of short stories written by Doug Moench about Batman using real forensic techniques.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven't watched the show or even really followed up on it since the first preview looked corny, but why in the gently caress is Jorah Mormont Bruce Wayne? He has a straight up English accent and he's blonde. How does that work? He should be Alfred.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduchess posted:

I had the Knightfall novel too-- it gave me the very false impression that Abattoir and Cornelius Stirk were big deals, as well as Bane's crew of awful nobodies who I can probably still list off the top of my head thanks to that book (um, let's see-- Trogg, Zombie, and Bird or Byrd or Byrde, and you know what, all these years later I finally get the joke).

Hey now, Abattoir was a big deal. Well the greatest thing he did was get killed by Batman but that still counts. I don't remember what he looked like or did or anything but being on a Batman body count means something.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't watched the show or even really followed up on it since the first preview looked corny, but why in the gently caress is Jorah Mormont Bruce Wayne? He has a straight up English accent and he's blonde. How does that work? He should be Alfred.

Wigs and dialogue coaches exist. This is going to blow your mind but did you know Tom Holland also has a British accent but Spider-Man in the movies is still from New York?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wigs and dialogue coaches exist. This is going to blow your mind but did you know Tom Holland also has a British accent but Spider-Man in the movies is still from New York?

Right, but I've seen clips of the show. He still has his accent and everything else. He looks and sounds exactly like Jorah Mormont.

Edit: to reduce confusion, I didn't follow the show until I heard Jorah was in it, then Youtubed some clips.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Right, but I've seen clips of the show. He still has his accent and everything else. He looks and sounds exactly like Jorah Mormont.

Edit: to reduce confusion, I didn't follow the show until I heard Jorah was in it, then Youtubed some clips.

Well then you're right and that's stupid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So apparently DC will be doing some kind of partnership with All Elite Wrestling, the so-far-so-good new wrestling promotion. I don't know if they're doing an AEW comic, but that might prove challenging considering their TV show starts next week and all they have so far is four PPVs and YouTube videos of the wrestlers chilling out at hotels and airports.

Looking forward to Jericho drunkenly losing the championship belt again and having to get Batman's help in tracking it down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That is a very flattering rendition of noted dad-bod-haver Chris Jericho. (No shame, I'd be very happy to have his physique.)

Can't wait for the show next week!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gavok posted:

So apparently DC will be doing some kind of partnership with All Elite Wrestling, the so-far-so-good new wrestling promotion. I don't know if they're doing an AEW comic, but that might prove challenging considering their TV show starts next week and all they have so far is four PPVs and YouTube videos of the wrestlers chilling out at hotels and airports.

Looking forward to Jericho drunkenly losing the championship belt again and having to get Batman's help in tracking it down.

I love how someone just decided to draw Moxley like The Goon. Or in more DC terms Bibbo, Superman's other pal.

Holy poo poo why does Jericho have telekinesis? Lol he looks like a mid boss you'd encounter in an SNK game. If he's levitating anything it should be "a lil bit of the bubbleh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gavok posted:

The first one's definitely Howard Porter. I'm trying to place #2. Maybe Ramon Villalobos trying extra hard not to be cartoony?