Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really recommend having some cavalry. Cavalry is so great in terms of chasing off archers and artillery, applying the charged in the rear leadership penalty, and slaughtering the gently caress out of routed units so you don't have to fight them again. The cost of having to build a building that you might want to tear down at some point is really small relative to all the benefits you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
but i can just make 2 lines of lothern sea guard and go to sleep

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so do you non cav users just not chase fleeing units and cut them down so you don't have the deal with them in a follow up battle or nah

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fangz posted:

I really recommend having some cavalry. Cavalry is so great in terms of chasing off archers and artillery, applying the charged in the rear leadership penalty, and slaughtering the gently caress out of routed units so you don't have to fight them again. The cost of having to build a building that you might want to tear down at some point is really small relative to all the benefits you get.

Light cav is so essential for having an efficient campaign I can't imagine not having at least one unit per army.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Agean90 posted:

so do you non cav users just not chase fleeing units and cut them down so you don't have the deal with them in a follow up battle or nah

Does chasing them with cannonballs count?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't be arsed chasing down the enemies even if I have cavalry. Plus they're crap at actually killing fleeing units anyway, they just run around in circles inside the enemy unit.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Enigma posted:

Does chasing them with cannonballs count?

My light cav get hundreds and hundreds of kills running down routing units. It's historically accurate and a great way to get them leveled up. Artillery just doesn't have the same effect.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm pretty big on infantry lines and artillery/ranged doing the heavy lifting but I still usually have 2-3 units of cavalry in my armies. They are absolutely killer. I also tend to pick lords that start with heavy cavalry since you can get them to gold chevrons extremely fast in the early part of the campaign as they'll rack up hundreds and hundreds of kills every battle against baby level armies. Then you can just throw them face first at whatever problems you have. Good stuff.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Rear charging inf and net of amyntok (srsly get a light mage already holy gently caress) does the same things as cav
But cav or chariots are really strong and can help with soldiers being tough/not breaking when you want them to
Only thing i hate is That cav suck against monsters, and high elves/lizard men are always really strong and need beating up and they keep fielding crazy poo poo that requires me to dip heavily into bone giants/carronades and whatnot

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 25, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I usually will not bother with early stables because lol Empire Knights; I'd rather wait for T3 for a Reiksguard Fort since those dudes are legit heavy cavalry.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Empire Knights are in a really awkward spot because if you just need early flank/harass/run dudes down cavalry pistoliers are cheap as dirt and buildable anywhere from a tier 2 and do the job fine, and if you want legit strong heavy cav Reiksguard are available very close to when Empire Knights are and are way better in every way.

If Empire Knights were a 1 turn recruit they might be more attractive in campaign as an emergency "man i need to bulk out another stack quickly" option, but instead they're not cheap enough to be used for scratch forces and they're not good enough to be used for strong forces.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 25, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Empire Knights look way cooler than they have any right to be based on performance. Reiksguard are the poo poo though.

I wish stacks were 24 units, but you had to choose 20 of them to field for any given battle. I'd love to bring more cavalry for field battles but not have to just hide them in trees for sieges.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
“Medium” cavalry like Empire Knights, Knights-Errant, Black Knights and Silver Helms - armored but not great stats — are great mostly for keeping dogs and monsters away from your lines, in addition to running down fleeing units and cycle charging light infantry. It’s a little harder in campaign since the AI will probably either have fifteen varghulfs or none, not just one or two. But they are good to wrap up chariots and especially dogs, without getting mauled as quickly as skirmisher or light cav would.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Has anyone had problems with loyalty, where some lords' loyalty keep falling no matter what?

I had a Skaven lord that would drop 1 point every 1 - 3 turns, while all my other lords were happily staying at 8+ loyalty. Giving him items and units didn't help. Winning battles and completing missions would maybe get him one loyalty point that was lost again the next turn. I eventually got tired of the ungrateful little poo poo and gave him an army of skavenslave trash and sent him to die against Karl Franz just to soften up his army before my good units attacked. But it was pretty annoying that the game seemed to bug out with his particular loyalty points, if it was a bug?

Did you outlevel the faction leader? Iirc lords who are higher level than the faction leader have a percent chance each turn to lose loyalty, and I think this also blocks them from gaining any either.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dartonus posted:

Did you outlevel the faction leader? Iirc lords who are higher level than the faction leader have a percent chance each turn to lose loyalty, and I think this also blocks them from gaining any either.

That’s listed as a specific faction trait of Malekith though

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s listed as a specific faction trait of Malekith though

I looked into this before, as a friend of mine had also had a similar problem - Malekith's trait is actually listed as "increased chance of loyalty loss for lords of a higher rank than Malekith", and the "how they play" blurb that pops up at the start of the game for Dark Elves says “The loyalty of a lord is also increased ... by ensuring that the faction leader is of higher rank than them” and “a lord’s loyalty is decreased by the opposite actions”. Not at my computer to check if a similar line is there for Skaven loyalty.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Also never saw the point of empire knights. Reiksguard do the job so much better and if im just looking for a harasser/ flanker pistoliers and outriders do the job better, especially since running down fleeing units will level them up enough to where they punch harder than you'd think.

The trick with running units down with ranged cav is to just let them shoot things and only close to melee when they're out of ammo in my experience. Also aim for units that are still mostly intact. A unit of like 10/100 dudes is loving nothing and will take a lot longer to whittle down to half compared to a unit that's at 70/100

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

queef anxiety posted:

but i can just make 2 lines of lothern sea guard and go to sleep

you're weirdly angry that i don't like silver helms

it works for me okay, i don't hate cavalry, i still use dragon princes once i get them. i've played close to the entire series of total war, and used cavalry lots in all of them. i like cavalry. i'm not telling anyone not to use them, i was just commiserating with another poster who had a bad time with them. jeez

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Agean90 posted:

Also never saw the point of empire knights. Reiksguard do the job so much better and if im just looking for a harasser/ flanker pistoliers and outriders do the job better, especially since running down fleeing units will level them up enough to where they punch harder than you'd think.

The trick with running units down with ranged cav is to just let them shoot things and only close to melee when they're out of ammo in my experience. Also aim for units that are still mostly intact. A unit of like 10/100 dudes is loving nothing and will take a lot longer to whittle down to half compared to a unit that's at 70/100

The point of empire knights is that you get them for free out of the same building that you get your pistoliers and outriders from, whereas Reiksguard you need a separate building.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Dartonus posted:

It's this. Happened in my Morathi campaign and had to bench my best Lord for a dozen turns until Mom caught up.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Dartonus posted:

Oh poo poo this is happening to me and I didn't realize it, on an Ikit Claw campaign.

Also can anyone recommend any workshop mods to consider for warp fuel that helps but isn't game-breaking? I've been spamming warlock engineer agent actions but it's so drat tedious.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'll also have to recommend people to start bringing a numerous speedy unit like wardogs or cavalry to their army, it's a bit extra micro and I understand if some people just want to sit in a box with their artillery and infantry and let the battle win itself in the campaign, but it's hugely beneficial to have a speedy unit for causing the final morale penalty needed to break a unit and then have them shatter the elite infantry or monster that just broke so that you aren't just fighting that same group of black orcs or regenerating super monster 20 seconds after they broke off.

They won't win any headup fight with any real fighting unit but they pay for themselves ten times over by not letting the real powerful units come back again and again.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Imo grenade horsey boys are a good unit chaser they can hang out and chunk their bombs and then throw them at fleeing units and the morale loss really makes them skull and flag scared not just flag scared

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress. Empire campaign; somehow, the Border Princes took Averland. Well, that can't stand, so I'm going to go gently caress them up. Except...they're military allies with the Dwarfs, who are by far the number 1 power in the world right now. They're also weak enough that they won't declare war on me despite multiple raiding parties, and prior to that, the Dwarfs refused to NAP or ally with me in any way, so I can't even drive a wedge between them.

And Chaos just showed up, and I'll be damned if I let my Empire fall to some Border Princes and stunties. Maybe I can wipe out the Border Princes fast enough that the world-ally effect lets me declare peace quickly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really hope Ham 3 steals region trading from 3K. It's a lot more balanced there than the old days of Prussia selling Prussia to the Marathas.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really hope Ham 3 steals region trading from 3K. It's a lot more balanced there than the old days of Prussia selling Prussia to the Marathas.

There's currently a mod that lets you trade regions too

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

gently caress. Empire campaign; somehow, the Border Princes took Averland. Well, that can't stand, so I'm going to go gently caress them up. Except...they're military allies with the Dwarfs, who are by far the number 1 power in the world right now. They're also weak enough that they won't declare war on me despite multiple raiding parties, and prior to that, the Dwarfs refused to NAP or ally with me in any way, so I can't even drive a wedge between them.

And Chaos just showed up, and I'll be damned if I let my Empire fall to some Border Princes and stunties. Maybe I can wipe out the Border Princes fast enough that the world-ally effect lets me declare peace quickly.

The global corruption from the Chaos invasion might make raiding them in to a rebellion possible, maybe?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Silver Helms feel like White Lions to me where I'm pretty sure they used to be quite a bit more elite/punchy in TT/lore but in the game they are very middling. Lions at least have the benefit of armor and ap over spear/lothern sea guard, while for early cavalry I'd much rather just have Ellyrion Archers to do what Silver Helms do because they also have bows. Because of their middling stats they just utterly lack a niche.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Eimi posted:

Silver Helms feel like White Lions to me where I'm pretty sure they used to be quite a bit more elite/punchy in TT/lore but in the game they are very middling. Lions at least have the benefit of armor and ap over spear/lothern sea guard, while for early cavalry I'd much rather just have Ellyrion Archers to do what Silver Helms do because they also have bows. Because of their middling stats they just utterly lack a niche.

I'm pretty sure they were "core" in TT and fairly mundane as far as armoured cav went, but hugely, the lances gave them what amounts to AP on the charge and for most of the game's existence, killing dudes on the charge meant not taking return blows. It wasn't the Helms themselves so much as the way cavalry worked.

AP, normal weapon damage, and anti-infantry or -large was basically all just "Strength" in TT which made elite things and especially lances and great weapons a lot more versatile. Speaking of, I'd really prefer Lions come in a different building and be offensive anti-large, kinda halfway between swordmasters and slayers. The +1S made them basically the can openers to the swordmasters' blenders.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 25, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The only time I've bothered to use Empire Knights was using the Tabletop Unit Caps mod, where Mortars, Great Cannons, Reiksguard, Greatswords, and Demigryph Knights were competing for the same pool of Special units. Now that was a tight squeeze for how I wanted to build my armies.

EDIT: ^^^ Yep, on a related note Empire Knights being Core units meant I could take a full 4 units with Demigryph support. The alternative was 4 Reiksguard Knights. Both have their strengths, though the question for me was how I wanted my artillery component to be arranged.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 25, 2019

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Can you still do the turn 1 take marienburg with louen?
The take out the enemy army, let them flee, attack remnants that draws out the marienburg garrison, and destroy them, and siege and take marienburg?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Aren’t shielded Silver Helms close to being faster/less armored Reiksguard with better combat stats? I guess I don’t know offhand if the two are buffed much differently in campaign, but just their raw unit cards don’t differ a ton assuming you hit your charges.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

vuk83 posted:

Can you still do the turn 1 take marienburg with louen?
The take out the enemy army, let them flee, attack remnants that draws out the marienburg garrison, and destroy them, and siege and take marienburg?

I think I did it in my last game before the Empire Undivided patch, and I don’t think anything outwardly changed for Louen

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm pretty sure they were "core" in TT and fairly mundane as far as armoured cav went, but hugely, the lances gave them what amounts to AP on the charge and for most of the game's existence, killing dudes on the charge meant not taking return blows. It wasn't the Helms themselves so much as the way cavalry worked.

AP, normal weapon damage, and anti-infantry or -large was basically all just "Strength" in TT which made elite things and especially lances and great weapons a lot more versatile. Speaking of, I'd really prefer Lions come in a different building and be offensive anti-large, kinda halfway between swordmasters and slayers. The +1S made them basically the can openers to the swordmasters' blenders.

Ah that'd basically explain it. And yeah giving Lions some more use would be cool.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Dartonus posted:

Yeah, that was what happened. So apparently he got too mighty and ambitious. Which only led to an embarrassing death in a brown sea of fur and frightened cries.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been playing about with the Beastmen and they still need some work, but Khazrak is hilarious. You can get Bestigor upkeep down to 13gpt which is hilarious. So now my army is half Bestigors and half minotaurs mixed between shields and great weapons. On field battles I've been double ranking the Bestigors and the Minotaurs to reduce incoming arrow damage. The Bestigors are the only units with any armour in the Beastmen roster, so they do a good job of soaking up fire even without shields, leaving half a stack of Minotaurs to just destroy anything they reach unscathed.

My other army is a gimmick army focused entirely on field battles and raiding. All cavalry with throwing axe centaurs to harass slower armies while the great weapon centaurs cycle charge things.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ravenfood posted:

Check if anyone's in war with them, then offer to join the war against Border Princes. That way you get to declare war on the BP without entering into a war with the Dwarfs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been playing about with the Beastmen and they still need some work, but Khazrak is hilarious. You can get Bestigor upkeep down to 13gpt which is hilarious. So now my army is half Bestigors and half minotaurs mixed between shields and great weapons. On field battles I've been double ranking the Bestigors and the Minotaurs to reduce incoming arrow damage. The Bestigors are the only units with any armour in the Beastmen roster, so they do a good job of soaking up fire even without shields, leaving half a stack of Minotaurs to just destroy anything they reach unscathed.

My other army is a gimmick army focused entirely on field battles and raiding. All cavalry with throwing axe centaurs to harass slower armies while the great weapon centaurs cycle charge things.

The new SFO build features a big beastmen rework for its next update, betaing on friday.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of, I'd really prefer Lions come in a different building and be offensive anti-large, kinda halfway between swordmasters and slayers. The +1S made them basically the can openers to the swordmasters' blenders.

Charge defence against large, all their weapon damage AP, give them a snare and maybe more mass. Somewhere between Phoenix guard and Sword masters for killy vs toughness while having a speciality in killing/stopping bigger things that might get past. Obviously up the cost to make them in line with Swordmasters/Phoenix guard.

Swordmasters kill things
Phoenix Guard hold the line against everything
White Lions are can openers big beast killers.

Building wise. Have the white Lions building lead into the Handmaidens. What kills them in the campaign is that they're in a singular building that gives nothing else. Except eagles and those are entirely pointless and so it's a slot and 3k gold for something you're largely going to replace anyway.

Swordmasters, in comparison, you pick up fairly by default as you will be building a mage tower and going another level doesn't hurt all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blinks77 posted:

Charge defence against large, all their weapon damage AP, give them a snare and maybe more mass. Somewhere between Phoenix guard and Sword masters for killy vs toughness while having a speciality in killing/stopping bigger things that might get past. Obviously up the cost to make them in line with Swordmasters/Phoenix guard.

Swordmasters kill things
Phoenix Guard hold the line against everything
White Lions are can openers big beast killers.

Building wise. Have the white Lions building lead into the Handmaidens. What kills them in the campaign is that they're in a singular building that gives nothing else. Except eagles and those are entirely pointless and so it's a slot and 3k gold for something you're largely going to replace anyway.

Swordmasters, in comparison, you pick up fairly by default as you will be building a mage tower and going another level doesn't hurt all that much.
Isnt the HElf building tree pretty old and dated at this point compared to how many others have been re-worked with patches/DLC? I kinda got that feeling when I tried out an Alith Anar campaign back before this most recent patch.

Azran posted:

Check if anyone's in war with them, then offer to join the war against Border Princes. That way you get to declare war on the BP without entering into a war with the Dwarfs.
Couldnt he also declare on someone else that the Border Princes are allied to (as long as this other ally is not also allied to the Dwarfs)?