Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1176935852326342657

No matter who wins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:shepspends:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Awwww drat I missed out on the 890j, it's out of stock!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Holy poo poo, they are making a competition and then selling versions of those ships in line with the competition?

And people are losing their poo poo in ED over the store icon being a different colour to the other icons in the station menu.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

This is so wildly unlike CIG that I can only assume it is either a mistake or they are desperately trying to get server populations up or something.

I mean I guess it could be that rentals don't really impact their sales but it's hard to see how.

My theory is that sales of basically everything but NEWEST LATEST SHIP are at near-zero. So they've decided to let them loose for peanuts, in the hopes that some idiots decide they like ship X so much that they'll buy it in order to avoid the grind to maintain it. So what if it makes a bunch of whales who bought these things four or five years ago angry? New money only, pissants.

What they're forgetting is that their game is poo poo, nobody plays it for more than a couple hours, and their store is dogpoop garbage where you can't actually give them money for the things you want except like two weeks out of the year due to all their high pressure sales bullshit.

They've absolutely screwed themselves on this.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
but they come with LTI this is an investment

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Holy poo poo, they are making a competition and then selling versions of those ships in line with the competition?

And people are losing their poo poo in ED over the store icon being a different colour to the other icons in the station menu.

You missed the other one going on:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17243-Black-Sails-And-Strong-Grog

If you beat the arena mode right now it unlocks a LIMITED TIME PIRATE SKIN CATERPILLAR buy now buy now buy now!

(Or rent for like, nothing)

E: The comments on that post are gold too. The like, second one is somebody reporting a bug that makes the achievement un-earnable, and being absolutely roasted by the community for having the tenacity to complain in a visible place.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Looks like Montoya is branching out to sticky pop.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bumble He posted:

It pays itself in 2 weeks, 90 days top.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bumble He posted:

When I die I'm going to pass on the deed to my 890J to my children and make them all millionaires.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Strangler 42 posted:

When I die I'm going to pass on the deed to my 890J to my children and make them all hate me.

Fixed

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

My theory is that sales of basically everything but NEWEST LATEST SHIP are at near-zero. So they've decided to let them loose for peanuts, in the hopes that some idiots decide they like ship X so much that they'll buy it in order to avoid the grind to maintain it. So what if it makes a bunch of whales who bought these things four or five years ago angry? New money only, pissants.

What they're forgetting is that their game is poo poo, nobody plays it for more than a couple hours, and their store is dogpoop garbage where you can't actually give them money for the things you want except like two weeks out of the year due to all their high pressure sales bullshit.

Yeah, they only make money on ship sales if A) they're brand new and shiny and B) there's absolutely no conception of how they'll work in the game.

They've clued into the fact that buyers are getting restless about the ships they bought long ago and still don't have, so to head that off they're only selling things that are about to go into the game. They're not going to back and develop those promised ships though, they already have those sales so they don't care about them - they're just trying to prevent any FUTURE dissatisfaction.

And that goes for the ships they DO release in the game - they get them working at tier 0, and then... They're done! They made their money. On to the next thing!

Bumble He posted:

But depending on who and in what context you ask, LTI is ALSO not important at all and you shouldn't worry about the fact that you can't get it! Don't worry! But you should get it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

But your life time insurance will be up, you will be burdening them with the ongoing expense of insuring such a luxurious vessel.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Ship sale damage control in the comments :v:

:a2m:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

I believe you're right:

Side note: I believe these numbers are a bit inflated, because I don't believe they can reasonably achieve 40k every day regularly. Maybe they put subscriptions in there, maybe when the day is low they just put 40k there just to make it pretty, but ever since 2014 there has basically never (except for a single day, which is likely a statistic error when the spreadsheet tracker was down or sth) been below 30 - 40k a day.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

The entirety of Dwarf Fortress resides in a procedule cave within Stat Citizen.

You know how in Dwarf Fortress, a Craftsdwarf will sometimes go into a 'Strange mood', sequester themselves in a workshop, and just start taking random-rear end materials (and sometimes rear end-materials) until they produce a masterpiece?

And you know how sometimes they bug out, and just keep asking for more and more materials, adding them on to their magnum opus, never ending until you inevitably cannot give them what they want and they go mad with rage?

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts is doing that.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

The only person who cares about the Valkyrie is the guy they paid last year to relentlessly shill it on stream.

It is a dropship in a game without troops, without sites to drop onto, without any mechanics related to the idea of combat landings and hot zones. It has door guns- there is not a single NPC in the game that you might ever shoot with one. It has turrets- to my knowledge no human being has ever achieved a kill in one of them. It has a big ramp and a loading bay for getting in formation while a twitch streamer shouts at you in RP milspeak, and that alone seems to be the only thing that keeps it going for Rexzilla.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quavers posted:

I barely paid attention to this because I thought it was some kind of ship design contest for fans, but it's literally just another excuse to hype up some ship sales? lol.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I barely paid attention to this because I thought it was some kind of ship design contest for fans, but it's literally just another excuse to hype up some ship sales? lol.

This comment, but for everything CIG has done for the last 7 years

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If i'm reading that correctly, is it CIG themselves picking their 16 favorite ships?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Star Citizen: I barely paid attention to this because I thought it was some kind of ship design contest for fans, but it's literally just another excuse to hype up some ship sales? lol.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

If i'm reading that correctly, is it CIG themselves picking their 16 favorite ships?

CaptainZylohCIG Community Manager [score hidden] 47 minutes ago
I can tell you 100% that we didn't pick ahead of time. For the last 2 weeks we've been collecting creative ship nominations on the Community Hub and on Twitter using #SCShipShowdown. The Community team voted on their favorites and we also weighed in every like, upvote, and retweet, which ultimately led to the top 16. I encourage you to go and check out all of the submissions - it's pretty easy to see how we landed with the selection. :)

The Community team voted on their favorites

Apparently.

Edit: lol

CaptainZylohCIG Community Manager [score hidden] 32 minutes ago
I was surprised by many of the submissions that came through too! Ultimately, it wasn't solely about numbers though - if you created something especially compelling/awesome, it definitely had more weight, and the Valkyrie had a few of those. Also, just because we're on the community team doesn't mean we're not a part of the community. I'll speak for myself here: I'm a huge Star Citizen geek and play every night when I get home. :P

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

akkristor posted:

You know how in Dwarf Fortress, a Craftsdwarf will sometimes go into a 'Strange mood', sequester themselves in a workshop, and just start taking random-rear end materials (and sometimes rear end-materials) until they produce a masterpiece?

And you know how sometimes they bug out, and just keep asking for more and more materials, adding them on to their magnum opus, never ending until you inevitably cannot give them what they want and they go mad with rage?

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts is doing that.

This, but on meth.

(Tojal: this is satirical.)

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, I don't doubt there will be absolutely be whales complaining that their hundreds to thousands of dollar purchases aren't worth anything if this stays as is.

They were always going to have to choose between new players and whales at some point given the actual dollar value they've set for the ships already. Either they maintain that and make it impossible to get into the game without spending huge sums, or make all the money spent already completely needless.

AFAIK many of the really expensive ships aren't available for rent. Maybe most of the whale money comes from ships that are worth say $500+.

As other have suggested, if the lower level stuff doesn't bring in cash, they might as well let the plebs play around with the pleb assets in the model viewer.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

This, but on meth.

(Tojal: this is satirical.)

:five: :drat: :five:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh btw GOG is giving away free copies of Freespace 2 right now, in case any of y'all are nostalgic for that game

Thanks for the info :)

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

The only person who cares about the Valkyrie is the guy they paid last year to relentlessly shill it on stream.

It is a dropship in a game without troops, without sites to drop onto, without any mechanics related to the idea of combat landings and hot zones. It has door guns- there is not a single NPC in the game that you might ever shoot with one. It has turrets- to my knowledge no human being has ever achieved a kill in one of them. It has a big ramp and a loading bay for getting in formation while a twitch streamer shouts at you in RP milspeak, and that alone seems to be the only thing that keeps it going for Rexzilla.

I for one have been tirelessly searching for a game in which I can stand at parade rest in the cargo bay of a space Chinook, and have some gamer bro hyped up on Red Bull shout mil-sim nonsense to me for 25 minutes. It's the cornerstone of any good modern space-sim.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Crobberts new ship is flying pretty close to the sun:

As always the Citizenry celebrates CIG's complete lack of creativity and artistic integrity.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm a huge Star Citizen geek and play every night when I get home. :P

That's called "purgatory," commando.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

No they are pretending that that backers picked them, while obviously choosing the ones they want to sell.

-Here are the backer's choices!
-Wait, the backers chose them?
-YES!!!
-How come that piece-of-poo poo is there?
-There are lots of people interested in Piece-of-poo poo
-Really?
-Well, there is amazing art
https://twitter.com/Drarenptile/status/1173189129439502336
-So you gave arbitrary values to different kinds of replies to arrive to your preordained selection of ships?
-NO!!! we tallied the posts and, using scientifically derived values, we weighted each submission.
-And you reached the top sixteen in a contest where there are less than 300 votes.
-YES!!!
-300 votes out of millions of backers.
-Yeee..ees?
-Thank you for your truthful replies. Can I buy the ships?
-YES!!!
-Oh CIG, I love you!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 25, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

Oh btw GOG is giving away free copies of Freespace 2 right now, in case any of y'all are nostalgic for that game
Someone tell Ben the best space game ever made is being given away on GOG.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/09/identity-fusion-trump-allegiance/598699/

“I have always been intrigued with the surprising things people will do in the service of preserving their identity,” says William Swann, a social- and personality-psychology professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He took up Lecky’s ideas and, in the 1990s, built them out into what he called self-verification theory. It asserts that we tend to prefer to be seen by others as we see ourselves, even in areas where we see ourselves negatively. As opposed to cognitive dissonance—the psychological unease that drives people to alter their interpretation of the world to create a sense of consistency—self-verification says that we try to bring reality into harmony with our long-standing beliefs about ourselves.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Raskolnikov posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/09/identity-fusion-trump-allegiance/598699/

“I have always been intrigued with the surprising things people will do in the service of preserving their identity,” says William Swann, a social- and personality-psychology professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He took up Lecky’s ideas and, in the 1990s, built them out into what he called self-verification theory. It asserts that we tend to prefer to be seen by others as we see ourselves, even in areas where we see ourselves negatively. As opposed to cognitive dissonance—the psychological unease that drives people to alter their interpretation of the world to create a sense of consistency—self-verification says that we try to bring reality into harmony with our long-standing beliefs about ourselves.

Who would have guessed that CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy, not the other thing - get your mind out of my gutter) would give us clear insight into why citizens have these weird validation/power/vindication fantasies?

I like the article!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Gaming evolves...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

Gaming evolves...

Attention marines! Aaaaand forward march glitch!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

Who would have guessed that CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy, not the other thing - get your mind out of my gutter) would give us clear insight into why citizens have these weird validation/power/vindication fantasies?

I like the article!

Sounds like it overlaps into groupthink and normalized deviance.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Agony Aunt posted:

I don't know why, but I had a bit of a chuckle reading this and laughed, even more, when I looked further down.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
star citizen good?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

star citizen good?

More than good, great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU