Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

T3hRen3gade posted:

Random question, but does anyone have any Australian-made horror recommendations? After I saw "The Babadook" I found another Australian gem in "The Loved Ones," which I also thought was great and never see anyone really talk about. A few years later I found the dark apocalyptic thriller "These Final Hours" on Netflix, and for some reason that hit me pretty hard. It was not an easy watch (none of these movies are), but it felt very poignant and original. I realized I haven't paid much attention to Australian horror and maybe I should, because based on those movies it seems like a lot of talented people are making great things out there. Anyone have any other recommendations?

It's a bit older than those, but Next of Kin is drat good and should be much better known than it is. I think it's on Shudder now too.

Strange Behavior is also good fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I haven't seen Dude Bro Party Massacre III since it first came out and it is still fantastic. The whole bit about the paddle boat owner who had his entire family killed by a college prank making the frat brothers take pictures with his family's graves had me crying laughing.

Also "My bang bus! My Dreeeeaaaammm!" It's the most childish dumb humor but it's so good. Also Andrew WK is in the movie.

Edit: Also the genius of a scene where the frat Bros and Andrew WK decide to start partying and they pull out a tape labelled "party hard" and you expect the AWK song but it's just generic 80s muzak.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 25, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just rewatched Little Shop of Horrors for the first time in decades, and man it's good. There are a few jokes I never got like Seymour apparently having taken the dentist's body back to the plant shop via subway.

Also, Audrey II might be my favorite monster design.

Now do yourself a big, big favor and watch the original ending.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

T3hRen3gade posted:

Random question, but does anyone have any Australian-made horror recommendations?

I thought Roadgames was just okay, but a lot of people swear by it.
It is one of Tarantino's favorites and inspired Wolf Creek.

The poster is great too.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Finished out my night with Threads. Fuckin hell people aren't kidding when they say it's one of the bleakest movies. I'm all hosed up from that last scene.

So tonight I watched, in order:
One Cut of the Dead
Dude Bro Party Massacre III
Threads

I am experiencing tonal whiplash which might tear my body asunder.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Snack Bitch posted:

Where did you see it at? You at Fantastic Fest too?
Nope, at Love & Anarchy in Helsinki.

I don't want to spoil too much but The Lighthouse may have the best scenes ever of grim dudes getting drunk as hell.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Now do yourself a big, big favor and watch the original ending.
Oh, I have, and have also seen the stage musical years ago.

But I'll be honest, I think I prefer the original happy but still foreboding ending. I do feel like there must have been some way to have that ending and still incorporate "Don't Feed the Plants."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone have recommendations for slightly below-radar horror anthologies? There’s a billion of these on Tubi and I don’t know which to watch.

Here are some recs from me:

Trick ‘r Treat: I’m willing to bet folks here know this one, but it’s a favorite (and I think the director may be a former goon?) Campy, fun horror with an interstitial short that toes everything together in a nice way.

Southbound: This is more straight horror, and the shorts vary in quality, but one of them genuinely unsettled me, which is a really rare experience for me and always refreshing. (I think, prior to the “hospital” short in this, the last movie to do so would’ve been the “pitchfork” scene in the Crazies remake?) Some of the CG work is a little corny, but it’s an ambitious and cool film overall.

Necronomicon (1993), Tales of Terror, Dead of Night (1945), The Vault of Horror, Tales from the Hood, Minutes Past Midnight, Kwaidan, Spirits of the Dead, Creeptales.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BioTech posted:

I thought Roadgames was just okay, but a lot of people swear by it.
It is one of Tarantino's favorites and inspired Wolf Creek.

The poster is great too.

Road Games is excellent.

T3hRen3gade posted:

Random question, but does anyone have any Australian-made horror recommendations?Anyone have any other recommendations?

The recent film The Nightingale will count for the October Challenge, by the way. It's a rape revenge thriller, but it's basically a modernized Witchfinder General with Vincent Price. It's set in Tasmania, but it's an Australian film, and it's Jennifer Kent, the same director as The Babadook.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 25, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Road Games is excellent.

The recent film The Nightingale will count for the October Challenge, by the way. It's a rape revenge thriller, but it's basically a modernized Witchfinder General with Vincent Price. It's set in Tasmania, but it's an Australian film, and it's Jennifer Kent, the same director as The Babadook.

So, how did they bring Vincent Price back from the dead?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

So, how did they bring Vincent Price back from the dead?

You know, the film's villain, Sam Claflin, isn't as charismatically menacing as Vincent Price playing Hopkins, but he's arguably a bigger piece of poo poo of a character whose face you wanna cave in with a rock for being so vile. He really did a great job.

Mild spoiler about The Nightingale--(it's literally the premise)--but it has the worst baby death since mother!. It's not as grotesque as the latter, but it's also not softened by absurdity.

Both friends who saw it with me said they liked it but will absolutely never watch it again. I loved it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone know of good shorts featuring vampires?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Megasabin posted:

Not technically a short I guess, but the segment "Midnight Mess" from the anthology The Vault of Horror is a vampire story that I like.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Franchescanado posted:

It's set in Tasmania, but it's an Australian film

Owned

There's a great and odd backwoods horror called Night of Fear from 1972 that's hard to imagine didn't have any influence on Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is like a dollar on YouTube

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
has anyone seen Larry Fessenden's new movie Depraved? I've read some reviews that make it sound interesting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

There's a great and odd backwoods horror called Night of Fear from 1972 that's hard to imagine didn't have any influence on Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is like a dollar on YouTube

see this is why i love this thread

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Untrustable posted:

One Cut of The Dead is amazing. Just go in blind. I ended up pausing it at the (first) credit scroll to ask the thread what was so good about it. It is the feel-good hit of the summer. Seriously great movie.

I think that's what's throwing people off when they're saying it's a crap film. I'd been looking at the runtime and wasn't sure what was up with the first credits rolling at something like a half hour in. I kept watching since the thread's yet to steer me wrong on a recommendation.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gey muckle mowser posted:

has anyone seen Larry Fessenden's new movie Depraved? I've read some reviews that make it sound interesting.

Always down for a good wendigo movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

T3hRen3gade posted:

I didn't know any of this, and it just made Skyrim that much more awesome. :aaaaa:

Random question, but does anyone have any Australian-made horror recommendations? After I saw "The Babadook" I found another Australian gem in "The Loved Ones," which I also thought was great and never see anyone really talk about. A few years later I found the dark apocalyptic thriller "These Final Hours" on Netflix, and for some reason that hit me pretty hard. It was not an easy watch (none of these movies are), but it felt very poignant and original. I realized I haven't paid much attention to Australian horror and maybe I should, because based on those movies it seems like a lot of talented people are making great things out there. Anyone have any other recommendations?

e: vvvvv Guy Pierce AND Sam Neill?! Sold. I've seen the title pop up before, but didn't know who was in it or what it was about. Hell yes.

Lake Mungo is one of the best horror movies I've seen

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

A year later and I'm still completely weirded out by the bizarre tone of that movie and the ending where she just jumps in a stranger's car and drives off to the apocalypse while her sister happily waves.

Such an odd film.

She was horny, what more do you want?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

She was horny, what more do you want?

And nobody would ever say she can't take care of herself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Regina's cute, but her hair is amazing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

And nobody would ever say she can't take care of herself.

I heard an interview with the actress and she said that the “Daddy would’ve gotten us uzis” line was made up on the spot because the cheapo guns they had kept jamming. They were actually supposed to have uzis in that scene and had trained at a gun range with uzis to prepare.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

It's an incredibly fun movie.

Agreed. I agree with all of the complaints about it too, but it still works despite them, and isn’t close to being the worst Godzilla movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

damnit now that midsommar's out on VOD i no longer have an excuse not to watch it

i didnt even like hereditary :colbert:

why is it so long why couldn't 3 from hell have been 2 and a half hours instead

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've never really seen a lot of chatter about Dead Set. My friends and I loved it when it aired back in '08ish. Looks like it's on Netflix now (https://www.netflix.com/title/70229514), so for anyone that needs a zombie fix, I recommend it. It's a fast watch, only 5 episodes. It has loads of good gore with fun and also annoying characters that you want to hate, and it's set against a more unique backdrop for a zombie apocalypse than usual. A+ series, about as good as the first season of Walking Dead, but with some comedic beats.

Kvlt! posted:

damnit now that midsommar's out on VOD i no longer have an excuse not to watch it

i didnt even like hereditary :colbert:

I didn't care for Hereditary, but I thought Midsommar was good.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

teagone posted:

I've never really seen a lot of chatter about Dead Set. My friends and I loved it when it aired back in '08ish. Looks like it's on Netflix now (https://www.netflix.com/title/70229514), so for anyone that needs a zombie fix, I recommend it. It's a fast watch, only 5 episodes. It has loads of good gore with fun and also annoying characters that you want to hate, and it's set against a more unique backdrop for a zombie apocalypse than usual. A+ series, about as good as the first season of Walking Dead, but with some comedic beats.

It might be up on Youtube as well.

For as much as I'm not into shows like Big Brother, Dead Set was really good and engaging. I will admit I was a bit surprised that it was aired on TV considering the gore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hate reality TV shows like Big Brother. I think that's part of the reason I love Dead Set so much lmao.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Finally caught Midsommar last night and found it to be a cerebral, flawed, but ultimately worthwhile entry into the criminally small genre of folk horror.

With all movies I'm interested in, I shield myself from ads, trailers, promotional material so I can go into a movie pure and innocent, absent of expectations. I thought it shared a LOT of DNA with Hereditary, and was 100% not suprised to discover the same guy directed the two. Had I known that going in, I think I wouldn't have enjoyed the film as much as I did.

It was the remake The Wicker man should have received. It was more faithful to the spirit of the original than the boring transitivity Nic Cage prostituted himself for.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 25, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I really need to call bullshit on this. I get that people don't like the argument about genres, but The Nightingale is really, really not a horror movie even though it can be horrifying at times.

It's an intense movie that features a rape as an inciting incident, but calling it a "rape revenge thriller" is terribly reductive. It's ultimately an anti-revenge movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Don't most revenge movies at the very least gesture towards the idea that revenge is bad?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Revenge never even vaguely hinted at revenge being bad. Nevertheless, Revenge is a loving awesome movie.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't watch a lot of "revenge films" since I just don't really like that thing, but I feel like the ones that do edge towards "revenge is bad, you're becoming a monster" usually do so by having another person there to go from sympathetic ally to reluctant hero so just don't get categorized as "revenge films".

But again, I'm not a connoisseur of the sub genre so I could be way off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The best anti-revenge story is No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Are You Afraid Of The Dark had a couple good ones. The Tale of Midnight Madness, The Tale Of the Night Shift, and The Tale Of The Vampire Town.

Yeah they're campy, but also fun.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

The best anti-revenge story is No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle.

You think seeking revenge makes you cool?

No, no it doesn't

It turns you into a giant goofy loving parade float and gets you killed

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Help me out here thread. I vaguely recall a horror movie where the masked killer finishes up killing all the teens at the beginning of the movie and then goes back to his unassuming normal life. The twist is one of the teens survived and starts to hunt the killer, his friends, and family, to get revenge and becoming a masked horror movie killer himself. That's all I remember about it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Don't most revenge movies at the very least gesture towards the idea that revenge is bad?
Yes, but they usually have their cake and eat it too. Like it technically arrives at that point, but after you saw some rad murders. The Nightingale has one moment of a character getting revenge, and it is not enjoyable.

It's also just not what the movie is about. It's not a story about someone realizing that revenge has made them a monster or anything trite like that.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It was the remake The Wicker man should have received. It was more faithful to the spirit of the original than the boring transitivity Nic Cage prostituted himself for.

I really want to see Midsommar now. I love the original Wicker Man, and if it's channeling that kind of vibe minus the weird naked musical bits I'm guessing, but then again maybe not lol then I'm excited.

Also, thanks for all the Australian movie suggestions, I'm adding most if not all of them on my to-watch list. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the October Challenge, because I can't realistically do all 31 movies due to time constraints, but I'm definitely building a list of stuff I can watch and do a write up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've decided that X-Cross will be the first movie I watch for the October Challenge because A: I want to watch X-Cross again, and B: I hope that by talking about X-Cross I can get someone else to watch it, thus making me no longer literally the only human on earth to have seen X-Cross