Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I got through 3 holy warps and then stepped off a ledge and started getting shot by 2 dudes with machine guns. a third was a little further down and then someone headshot me with a sniper rifle from the far left. I tried to make a gif but it comes out diagonal for some reason. this was literally my introduction to the 4th area.

Good Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

teleportitis is not a passive. it is a death sentence. do not take it. learn from my mistakes.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Oh look who it is waiting for me at the end of the first portal. For no apparent reason, it's a god drat floating, almost permashielded, giant skeleton mage! Well that promising run was completely stripped from me through zero decisions or inputs of my own... at least it's good to know this game will just gently caress the poo poo out of you if it wants.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/TrWPuqY.mp4

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

Oh look who it is waiting for me at the end of the first portal. For no apparent reason, it's a god drat floating, almost permashielded, giant skeleton mage! Well that promising run was completely stripped from me through zero decisions or inputs of my own... at least it's good to know this game will just gently caress the poo poo out of you if it wants.

That’s the guardian who spawns if mountain is damaged, usually by a worm burrowing in there

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The patch made it so that any time I enter a portal it crashes. I guess I'm taking a break for the night. Hopefully it's patched tomorrow.

I had the replay gif maker thing enabled and turning it off fixed the crashing for me. Was crashing every single time I died, and when I reopened the game, I'd be on the same level seed as before, but sometimes some parts of the level were still changed from my last play, like wands being moved or terrain being damaged. Very weird, very buggy, I kind of understand why the death gif stuff isn't officially in the menus or anything now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mischievous Mink posted:

I had the replay gif maker thing enabled and turning it off fixed the crashing for me. Was crashing every single time I died, and when I reopened the game, I'd be on the same level seed as before, but sometimes some parts of the level were still changed from my last play, like wands being moved or terrain being damaged. Very weird, very buggy, I kind of understand why the death gif stuff isn't officially in the menus or anything now.

I ended up spawning him by thinking I was smart about using the black hole to explore the Holy Mountain to see if there were any zones adjacent to it.

Shame, it was such a promising run too.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

That’s the guardian who spawns if mountain is damaged, usually by a worm burrowing in there

That's probably exactly what happened, I'm guessing a worm spawning and doing this BS is just RNG? Because I didn't do anything to awaken any wiener-shaped jerk. The dang guardian was literally floating in the exit after the perks :gonk:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mischievous Mink posted:

I was just coming in to post this. Disabled it last night, had a fun run.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There are ways to deal with the worm. Explore Secrets

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

I've also seen an enemy turn into it by falling into polymorph potion pools.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this game is great. its exactly what i imagined cortex command would evolve into a decade ago

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Farm Frenzy posted:

this game is great. its exactly what i imagined cortex command would evolve into a decade ago

It gets compared to Spelunky for obvious reasons in every write-up but my first impression was also that the moment-to-moment gameplay is much closer to Cortex Command in a lot of ways.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A Sometimes Food posted:

I've also seen an enemy turn into it by falling into polymorph potion pools.

I once turned into it thanks to the polymorph.

I once turned into the worm, as well!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I killed the worm and drank its blood. it made me glow with a pulsing green light till I cleared the stage.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Lot of extremely weird an good games coming out recently and I'm here for it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

goferchan posted:

Oh drat just realized the trip-out effect from drinking worm blood isn't just cosmetic it gives you that "all seeing eye" spell effect where you can see through walls and parts of the screen you haven't explored, at the cost of everything being all warped and hosed up

Ok help me out, how do you 'drink'?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

resistentialism posted:

Ok help me out, how do you 'drink'?

hold s in a liquid

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

violent sex idiot posted:

hold s in a liquid

I saw people mention eating corpses earlier too, same way?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Eopia posted:

I saw people mention eating corpses earlier too, same way?

yeah same way. dunno what eating corpses does.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

yeah same way. dunno what eating corpses does.

builds strong bones

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

It's great for your complexion.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
https://i.imgur.com/NpU5D9N.mp4

?!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I hope they adjust the camera so that it centers on the point halfway between the reticle and the character!

to use soldat as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUdsLsD23Eo

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

That's probably exactly what happened, I'm guessing a worm spawning and doing this BS is just RNG? Because I didn't do anything to awaken any wiener-shaped jerk. The dang guardian was literally floating in the exit after the perks :gonk:

Yeah from what I can tell it’s basically random. If you see the worm before hitting the portal you’re really gonna want to take it down before going in, or otherwise just hope that it doesnt spawn in there.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There is an egg where the worm hatches. You can find it before it does.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

SlightlyMad posted:

Is it the green egg? there was a time I got a egg and threw it into lava thinking it would hatch into a allied dragon there was also a time I went a got the egg up in the tree to the left of the spawn in area and a bunch of acid monsters chased me and destroyed most of the stage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i get that it's all part of the chaotic gameplay to some degree but i do really wish that random worms wouldn't just completely gently caress up a run by angering the gods and getting the hellskeleton dropped on you

it'd be like if you were all the way across the map in spelunky and out of nowhere the loving shopkeeper just gets pissed and starts hunting you down. usually it requires active effort on your part to kick that particular hornet's nest. i'm fine with hilariously strong poo poo coming to hunt my rear end down as long as i had a part to play in it spawning.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
so the area east of the first three sublevels is reserved for the elevator from the lava lake down to the ice caverns, but i still haven’t seen much of the areas to the west. i found a fungal cavern west of sublevel two, but it scared me so i didn’t explore any further than peeking at the color palette for a few seconds. it’s very blue

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I don’t think the worm angering the gods is intentional, but even if it was I wish it didn’t carry over to every safe room.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Look at this terrifyingly destructive beast that I picked up, before my most promising run got cut short by one of the fungal cave warlocks picking up some kind of lightning wand and 1-shotting me from a blind corner.

Never saw anything greater than 2 spells per cast before, and usually on extremely crummy wands. And that's an acid trail on every projectile.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
There is more going on in the surrounding world than what you probably think.

WARNING: HEAVY SPOILERS

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So far my best run has been with the aid of a fire resist perk. I need to resist shooting down every lantern I see.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
This game's super fun.

If you go to the base of the big tree, you can find a water passage. If you go through it, you can find one of those scroll things. Not sure what you do with them though.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
That map is super neat. Now I just need to survive long enough to actually check those places out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they added a use for the scrolls with the recent patch. it's a bit obtuse, though.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
This game is fantastic and I've caught the 'one more run' bug.

I took the teleport when taking damage perk and one of the benefits is that it will usually send you deeper. With that and a great wand, I ended up way too deep without the, uh, skill to match the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZ6ygv32hg

Roki B fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 26, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

SlightlyMad posted:

OH HELL I didn't realize it was that egg :doh:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

BoldFace posted:

There is more going on in the surrounding world than what you probably think.

WARNING: HEAVY SPOILERS

yeah but how do you get to any of those places except the tree

or is that part of the early access dealio and, practically speaking, it's walled off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
If you get hold of a decent chainsaw wand, keep hold of it. Its the only way ive been able to consistently kill the angry god-skeleton, just get in his face as quick as possible and mulch him