Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
java is also the issue always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
thanks. that's the kind of insightful comment I come to this den of tech experts for.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im thinking back real hard and i cannot recall a single time i was positive after interacting with anything that needed java

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
same with adobe air, macromedia flash, all of those plugin-needed bullshit extensions. the modern web is getting there but java is so gross from a user perspective

pram
Jun 10, 2001
scaling confluence requires 'data center' and its very cumbersome and requires a shared store like NFS. it can be properly sharded and load balanced though. that is a different license however. most people thus try and throw more hardware at their single node, so it runs like complete poo poo always

the atlassian cloud was even worse because it was all openvz containers with the minimal amount of resources, and the hosts were hilariously oversubscribed. they changed the architecture after i left but it was basically the equivalent of handing money to hostgator or something at the time

pram
Jun 10, 2001
atlassians engineering org was very poor, and they were completely unprepared for running any kind of SaaS. they simply lacked the talent and expertise before the IPO. thats of course unsurprising though because they are australians

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Unprepared for running a SaaS, like they didn't anticipate users submitting text fields containing emoji?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
atlassian is first and foremost a support company. unprepared as in they had no infrastructure people, no operations knowledge, and their only worthwhile applications are a completely lovely + ancient monolithic architecture

JIRA was particularly bad. for example it originally didn't have any foreign keys or constraints in its DB schema so literally EVERY installation in the wild had corrupted data somewhere. it was also an enormous undertaking to attempt to make it multi-tenant

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

How many confluence users can you have before it blows up on a single node? We’re looking at no more than 1500 total with maybe 50-100 actually using it.

We do have a spare HP SuperDome X to run it on though

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
it doesnt matter if confluence is bad or good since all internal wikis are just repositories for documents that nobody reads, ever. we have approximately 3 such systems (in a <200 person company lol), all of which entered use because someone was like "ah, if only the wiki solution was BETTER, people would use it for something more!"

the blog functionality lets me type in markdown and get shown the resulting rendered formatting immediately so that's cool i guess.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I set up my own replicated dokuwiki because at least with that one I know I can still access the documentation if something bad happens. Nobody else edits it because apparently wiki syntax is impossible to learn

How is MediaWiki nowadays? The last version I installed was in 2008 I think

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

florida lan posted:

it doesnt matter if confluence is bad or good since all internal wikis are just repositories for documents that nobody reads, ever. we have approximately 3 such systems (in a <200 person company lol), all of which entered use because someone was like "ah, if only the wiki solution was BETTER, people would use it for something more!"

the blog functionality lets me type in markdown and get shown the resulting rendered formatting immediately so that's cool i guess.

first job i had (at a large multinational) had a twiki install which was very lightly structured and policed, but was then genuinely a treasure trove of real information on things. very much one of those where it needs to be as low-friction as possible to work though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wikimedia is fine if just you just need a simple, basic wiki

it probably also has the widest array of various plugins for it since it's relatively popular thanks to wikipedia

i've been running one at work for almost 10 years, along with a ldap auth plugin and it's been working without a single hitch so far.

the confluence instance we have is finally seeing some use now that support moved from mails to jira support desk tho, so i'm looking forward to one of the two failing catastrophically soon

pram
Jun 10, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

How many confluence users can you have before it blows up on a single node? We’re looking at no more than 1500 total with maybe 50-100 actually using it.

thats lightweight, shouldnt be an issue

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

confluence used to work fine for thousands of users without sharding, but when you bolt ten years of poo poo to the side of the same old app things start not to work as well

see also: jira

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

java is also the issue always

the wrongest thing ever posted

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

I hate how Confluence is a giant slow java pig because the functionality is pretty good and infinitely better than Shartpoint

Maybe our sharepoint admins are exceptionally terrible but we have like 10 different instances running and there's no unified search function so you will never ever find what you're looking for. Searching for anything on one of the sites will bring up hundred different outdated revisions of the same word document scattered all over the place after people emailed it around and uploaded it to their departments sharepoint folder.

I am pretty sure that this is hell and I'm being punished for something I did in an earlier life

share point never worked, ever

its core design involves serialising objects to ms sql and deserialising them on every page render

think about that for a second

hundreds or thousands of sql BLOB retrieval’s for every page load

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

share point never worked, ever

its core design involves serialising objects to ms sql and deserialising them on every page render

think about that for a second

hundreds or thousands of sql BLOB retrieval’s for every page load

I must be misunderstanding you because that sounds like 99.9% of all webpages everywhere. what do you mean "serialising" to MSSQL?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

abigserve posted:

I must be misunderstanding you because that sounds like 99.9% of all webpages everywhere. what do you mean "serialising" to MSSQL?

I mean if you have a “share point list” that is not a bunch of rows in a database

it is a set of .net objects serialised to giant text blobs, and written to th DB as sql BLOB types

edit: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/blob/binary-large-object-blob-data-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I mean if you have a “share point list” that is not a bunch of rows in a database

it is a set of .net objects serialised to giant text blobs, and written to th DB as sql BLOB types

lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
sounds like they should have used mongodb

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sniep posted:

im thinking back real hard and i cannot recall a single time i was positive after interacting with anything that needed java

everyone here says java is good and fast but every java app or webapp is slow and bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my stepdads beer posted:

everyone here says java is good and fast but every java app or webapp is slow and bad

more weird 90s bullshit

tomcat, the most bloated java thing that ever existed, serves static content as fast as apache

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
I think the real phenomenon is that if you notice a web app was written in java it is because it is an eneterprise grade disaster ruining your day

java is not the villain in that scenario

java doesn’t make oracle ebusiness suite slow and bad. Oracle made it that way. java was just th hot buzzword at th time

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The problem is that increasingly robust, fast languages and faster hardware enables increasingly bad programmers to build shippable garbage.

It's almost a zero sum game

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The problem is that increasingly robust, fast languages and faster hardware enables increasingly bad programmers to build shippable garbage.

I suspect java has done us good in this light

could be worse, could be literally any scripting language

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The slowest piece of software I interact with is vagrant which is written in ruby

And man

It is a dog

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

can’t be worse than planning a meeting with outlook on Mac when your directory is hybrid on-prem/azure and you need a meeting room

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for java specifically one of the advantages (which at times appears to be a disadvantage) is that it was one of the first languages to really push a certain style, not only syntactically, but also of abstraction. that is, you can go out and hire java programmers, put them to a task with little guidance, and given a (not very high) base level of competence they'll produce solutions which are broadly similar, and which will tend to prominently feature tiny units of abstraction which makes them easy to integrate with each other or other pieces of software. compare e.g. to c++ where even hugely competent programmers would often create things which are far more mutually incompatible (from simply being so different in styles that they require vastly different skillsets to understand right up to sufficiently incompatible pointer management/thread setups/runtime circumstances that it'd be a research task to properly mix them).

this commodification is a good thing, e.g. making it a lot more doable to run a project as a normal 9-5 job where things can get done even in the face of people e.g. going on sick leave or new people being hired. it also means that a lot of projects which would in the past have just failed spectacularly (it's broken, no one understands how it works, and the person closest to understanding just quit) will more frequently be pushed across the finish line through dogged effort, piling on the special cases and extra layers of abstraction until it from most points of observations seems to do the thing intended, which will tend to produce stuff that might be filled with warts and unpleasant to use. which is not necessarily pleasing, but really is for the best.

incidentally go is pretty lovely, including in this regard, but rob pike was not wrong observing that languages should be designed with this (it by default being easy to hire a 9-5 programmer to just jump into a project) in mind. gofmt is pretty much the only part of go that achieves anything in this regard though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

cassandra is written in java and i hate it.

therefore

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

except when your old person manager tries to make a ticketing system out of it and force it on the team because they can't understand jira

counterpoint: jira sucks

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
people who actually like jira are the worst.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jira and confluence are pretty good and miles better than the alternatives.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one of the biggest problems is how easy it is to install plugins and plugins are almost universally poo poo

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

no one learned from wordpress

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shaggar posted:

jira and confluence are pretty bad but miles better than the alternatives.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the best thing we did for the stability of our jira instance was to remove people from jira admins

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
SharePoint is not that bad anymore. Now, you can mount it as a worse Dropbox drive and aside from the once a month the Onedrive application shits it self, documents synchronize to team members.

A folder full of Word and Excel files may not be great, but it is heaps ahead of a slow as gently caress wiki without a working search function.

Plus you can answer any question with “the information you’re looking for is on SharePoint” and nobody can prove you wrong.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's not really sharepoint tho. that's one drive that's been semi rebranded as sharepoint. you can still do classic sharepoint in office 365 and its still really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

klafbang posted:

Plus you can answer any question with “the information you’re looking for is on SharePoint” and nobody can prove you wrong.

This is good in theory but the management will just tell you to find it for them