Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BMan posted:

calling it now, it can't run in VR because they made the graphics too good

That's a cromulent excuse but absolutely not a real reason, there have to be dozens of ways you can throttle settings to make it viable for VR. If it's fundamentally unable to do VR it's going to show in things like severe input lag even without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If this is bleeding edge world rendering engine tech then it's probably got primatives for foveated rendering.

Once you have foveated rendering, all the other traditional levers and buttons you have to improve frame rate work with a pretty good multiplier.

Red Matter uses unreal engine which is ancient and it's got some kind of crude foveated stuff so I would imagine a new ground up rendering engine being built in the year of our Lord 2019 is going to have basic VR frame rate improving features.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I really want to know how the regular scenery in bumfuck Siberia or Africa will look like.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

If this is bleeding edge world rendering engine tech then it's probably got primatives for foveated rendering.

Once you have foveated rendering, all the other traditional levers and buttons you have to improve frame rate work with a pretty good multiplier.

Red Matter uses unreal engine which is ancient and it's got some kind of crude foveated stuff so I would imagine a new ground up rendering engine being built in the year of our Lord 2019 is going to have basic VR frame rate improving features.

You don't need foveated rendering, you just need to be able to do reasonably high-resolution multiple target rendering with low latency, this is DX9-level stuff.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I hope MSFS team also puts some though into the "gaming" side of the sim. Or at least have good SDKs for 3rd party devs to do mission generation.

The current system where things like FSEconomy have a separate program that connects to the sim is ok, but would be nice to be able to have built-in UIs.

I mostly used FSE just as a random flight generator that took me to obscure places and with the FS20 graphics that would be several times more interesting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Negrostrike posted:

I really want to know how the regular scenery in bumfuck Siberia or Africa will look like.

Alaska.

:getin:

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
My guess is, open those places in Bing Maps with 3D satellite mode, it’ll probably look close to whatever you see.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Small VR trip report:

I got to try X-Plane on a friend's Valve Index today, and it looked really good. I flew the stock C172 and all of the gauges were very readable. The graphics settings were on whatever the defaults are (we literally installed it and then launched it) and the framerate was fine. (I think he has a 1080) I set the yoke to ergonomic and it was very usable, you just rotate the controller in place.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

P3D has come along well with graphics performance since I've been away from pretend airplanes. I can cold-start to cruise a PMDG airplane with my WMR on and frames stay silky smooth.

Running a GTX 1070 with assloads of VRAM and an i7 7740X.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A few days ago I set off from my home airport in upstate NY and am currently planning to circumnavigate the globe in my TBM in xplane. ProjectFly has a cool passport feature, so I’ll spend a ton of time flying to random countries.

I just jumped from Canada>Greenland>Iceland>Ireland, and this weekend I’ll hit some stops around there. It’s been super fun so far. I have a buddy starting out of the Pacific Northwest heading west, too. He flies a lot more frequently than I do so he’ll finish before I do, but it’s cool to watch him on projectfly grasping over to Kamchatka.

I already picked a crappy airport (Weston, in Dublin) with no lights (at least in the scenery) and accidentally landed at the nearby military airfield. Oops. I’ve been trying to unlearn the habit of staring into my instrument panel, but in this case maybe I shouldn’t have Beelined for the closest PAPI-enabled runway I could see.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

For those that care about such things, reminder that projectFLY is ran by Matt Davies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Going back to previous VR discussions, the Rift will have hand and finger tracking come early next year, which may resolve one of the biggest issues with playing sims in VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Going back to previous VR discussions, the Rift will have hand and finger tracking come early next year, which may resolve one of the biggest issues with playing sims in VR.

As long as if doesn't see my hand in front of me (on my stick) and think I'm typing to flip every switch on the Ka-50's front panel, that will be neat.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Minto Took posted:

For those that care about such things, reminder that projectFLY is ran by Matt Davies.

What does this mean, for those of us not in the know?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Shine posted:

As long as if doesn't see my hand in front of me (on my stick) and think I'm typing to flip every switch on the Ka-50's front panel, that will be neat.

Obviously, that'll be up to the developer. I just think it's cool that the capability now exists.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I used to play Test Drive with this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Quest will have finger/hand tracking. With lower visual quality and lag with a tethered cable. So you would lose readability compared to the Rift S, which will not get hand/finger tracking. I’m keeping my Rift S, it hits a sweet spot as a sim VR headset that the Quest’s tethering isn’t going to make obsolete.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

hannibal posted:

What does this mean, for those of us not in the know?

One of biggest pieces of poo poo in the flight sim community. The claim to fame that sticks out to me was him getting super mad that other shader apps got released after he bought the PTA source code and wanted to sue them for copyright infringement. :lol:

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 30, 2019

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

The Quest will have finger/hand tracking. With lower visual quality and lag with a tethered cable. So you would lose readability compared to the Rift S, which will not get hand/finger tracking. I’m keeping my Rift S, it hits a sweet spot as a sim VR headset that the Quest’s tethering isn’t going to make obsolete.

It will eventually. And certainly whatever next iteration they do will.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It will eventually. And certainly whatever next iteration they do will.

Oh I'm sure the Quest 2 or whatever in 2021 will be great for sims, but all the software optimization in the world on the Link feature isn't going to change the fact that stuff is harder to read in the OLED screen of the quest thanks to the subpixel arrangement.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

These last few days I was checking out Jetfighter III for MS-DOS and I was kinda impressed by the amount of scenery available in its special edition (most of Argentina and Chile, Alaska, Chukotka, Japan, Korea, etc.).

So I was wondering, is there another old flight sim featuring the whole planet as scenery besides the Microsoft ones? Or at least with a big chunk of it? I'm interested in this kind of real-world representation in games and simulators.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Has anyone used both the Rift and Rift S?

My rift is starting to break and while I’m sure it’s cheaper to fix it, it might be a good excuse for an S this holiday season. I don’t think I can justify an Index. I just wonder if the readability of text and things is worth the upgrade or if it’s slight? And also if it runs comparably well or if it’s significantly harder to render for.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, I've had a Vive for a while, and just got a Rift S, and the Rift S is so much better. I'm not sure how the Vive compares to the original Rift, but I imagine they're similar.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Has anyone used both the Rift and Rift S?

My rift is starting to break and while I’m sure it’s cheaper to fix it, it might be a good excuse for an S this holiday season. I don’t think I can justify an Index. I just wonder if the readability of text and things is worth the upgrade or if it’s slight? And also if it runs comparably well or if it’s significantly harder to render for.

Yeah I have both. The Rift S is a massive step up in clarity, you can actually read the cockpit panels now. Love it for flight simming and the price point is a nice sweet spot. No cameras either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW2kQnWpUJ4

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I get why they're doing it, but things like an update announcing the preview of a preview, and now the preview of the preview, and in a week or two releasing the actual preview... It's a bit much.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Do you guys notice any huge performance difference re: frames between the Rift and the S?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought Rift S was just EOL'd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uvar posted:

I get why they're doing it, but things like an update announcing the preview of a preview, and now the preview of the preview, and in a week or two releasing the actual preview... It's a bit much.

I agree. I also really can't stand that YouTube movie trailers now all have a 5 second trailer-for-the-trailer right before the trailer starts. It's idiotic.

Anyway, that MSFS video still looks great. That shot of Central Park is stunning. I hope it has missions like FSX.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

uvar posted:

Yeah, I wasn't going to post it but the NYC bit was just really pretty and the water reflections were super nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also just to :spergin: San Francisco never really has clouds like this. It's either gonna be clear or it's gonna be heavy rolls of fog and mist coming off the ocean. Okay maybe like two days a year.

Looks pretty fantastic to me, though -- and accurate. I recognize all of my local reporting points. The San Mateo Bridge is missing :spergin: but I assume it's still in progress because I am not a moron and I know what an alpha is.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hadlock posted:

I thought Rift S was just EOL'd

Not really, the Quest updates aren’t going to bring it to parity if you wanna look at cockpit panels and not do the hunchback squint

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Anyway, that MSFS video still looks great. That shot of Central Park is stunning. I hope it has missions like FSX.

Agree, looks great. I'm starting to wonder how/if they'll handle seasons since it's all based on the satellite photos. It looks great so if we just have to fly in summer all the time, so be it. That said if they have a way to make seasons work... daaammnnn I'll be impressed, which probably bodes well for everything else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Agree, looks great. I'm starting to wonder how/if they'll handle seasons since it's all based on the satellite photos. It looks great so if we just have to fly in summer all the time, so be it. That said if they have a way to make seasons work... daaammnnn I'll be impressed, which probably bodes well for everything else.

I doubt they'll have proper seasons with ground cover. They might have seasonal weather effects, increased chance of rain/fog/clouds of certain types at times of year?

That said, who knows. Maybe they'll use Azure AI™ to generate seasonal variations.

Have we seen any non-mountainous snow yet?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I wonder how difficult it would be to make this thing work.

It uses gameport and I'm pretty sure the old drivers don't exist on the internet anymore. And even if they did, they would be for... I don't know, Win95?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it's a game port, it's just (up to) four analog axes and four buttons. Get a cheap USB adapter and program it through ppjoy or whatever.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Vatsim finally joining the 2010s with respect to voice technology, 24 hours of downtime scheduled for the upgrade, upgrade scheduled to go live at 2000z on the 14th

https://www.vatsim.net/node/3313

EDIT: It's going to get a very large stress test on the 26th, as that is when the Semi-annual Cross the Pond event happens, and it normally sees 3k+ connections. For reference, as I type this there are... 560 (including myself)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 29, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Adnor posted:

I wonder how difficult it would be to make this thing work.

It uses gameport and I'm pretty sure the old drivers don't exist on the internet anymore. And even if they did, they would be for... I don't know, Win95?

MY FLIGHT YOKE!!! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: oh my god I loved that thing when I was 11!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Kilonum posted:

Vatsim finally joining the 2010s with respect to voice technology, 24 hours of downtime scheduled for the upgrade, upgrade scheduled to go live at 2000z on the 14th

https://www.vatsim.net/node/3313

EDIT: It's going to get a very large stress test on the 26th, as that is when the Semi-annual Cross the Pond event happens, and it normally sees 3k+ connections. For reference, as I type this there are... 560 (including myself)

Sounds pretty great. Crazy that I recognize some of those voices from years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So looking to dive into some 3rd party stuff.

Looking at bigger ones like ProjectFly, AirHauler, etc.

Question is how much of it is redundant or conflicting? What is everyone else running as far as this stuff goes?