Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

The... significantly cheaper cost of living overall though.

There are plenty of really cheap places to live in the US where it never snows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I really miss snow. :(

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

There are plenty of really cheap places to live in the US where it never snows.
Sure but almost all places that do are a lot cheaper than the super nice places that it doesn't.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

Sure but almost all places that do are a lot cheaper than the super nice places that it doesn't.

Well if you throw in a "super nice" qualifier then it gets a little tougher. How do you feel about turquoise and bolo ties?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TVsVeryOwn posted:

An American who has never looked at a globe: "This is really surprising!"

South America, the whole thing, is east of Detroit.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I blame all my geography woes on the Mercator projection.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shipon posted:

Bad with money: Living

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
It's surprising the first time you visit Greenland and realize it's only the size of an overweight house cat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
poo poo’s not even green. Well it wasn’t then.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sundae posted:

I really miss snow. :(

I miss when this was the BWM thread and not Carchat episode 93.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Nocheez posted:

South America, the whole thing, is east of Detroit.
How dare you put this curse on me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Weatherman posted:

I miss when this was the BWM thread and not Carchat episode 93.

Carchat makes really durable winter coats, and I have one hoodie that is over fifteen years old and I still wear every cold season.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hoodwinker posted:

The... significantly cheaper cost of living overall though.

Ah, famed low cost cities like Boston and New York.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

If you don't have a hard ground freeze, you get way more insects in the spring.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Ah, famed low cost cities like Boston and New York.
I literally live in Chicago, so it's really funny that y'all are making it seem like I'm not aware of cities with snow.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Michigan.txt

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/da050z/airbag_went_off_because_of_a_pothole_in_michigan/

quote:

Airbag went off because of a pothole in Michigan
(self.legaladvice)

submitted 39 minutes ago by underratedmoose

My husband and I were driving in Michigan when we hit a pothole in our 2007 Ford Focus. In that Ford Focus there are airbags inside the front seats. The driver's seat airbag went off upon impact and insurance has deemed it a total loss, because the repair costs would be over $3,000 and more than the car is worth.

The Michigan Department of Transportation website says "If your alleged damage claim is $1,000 or more, you can recover only by filing a lawsuit against MDOT. You should consult a private attorney if you want to pursue this option." Is it worth it to get an attorney and try to get the money to repair it or should we just take the insurance money and find another vehicle?

Driving on publicly maintained roads in MI is seriously BWM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Heffer posted:

If you don't have a hard ground freeze, you get way more insects in the spring.

False, I have never seen more bugs than New England in the summer.

Live, um...finds a way.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

so is owning a ford focus

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Dik Hz posted:

Ditto. It's not like you can drive normally on ice or snow with snow tires. You still have to know how to drive on ice and snow. And you can do that just fine with all-weather tires if you know what you're doing.

All-weather tires are going to be even more important since climate change means some temperate areas will have 70F Februaries and April snowstorms in the same year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It seemed crazy to me that this would cost $3k to fix but, I guess replacing the seat air bags is extremely complicated: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/410210-drivers-side-seat-airbag-deployed.html

TIL: you have to reflash the car's memory if an airbag goes off, plus if you install a new airbag that hasn't been coded to match your car's VIN, it will probably go off immediately after you hook the battery back up :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

golden bubble posted:

All-weather tires are going to be even more important since climate change means some temperate areas will have 70F Februaries and April snowstorms in the same year.

Wait, that’s new where you live?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

golden bubble posted:

Something something don't like weather wait until tomorrow something something says everyone in every state.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Something something don't like weather wait until tomorrow something something says everyone in every state.
I slap my knee so hard from laughing that my hand passes clear through my bones, shattering them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hoodwinker posted:

I slap my knee so hard from laughing that my hand passes clear through my bones, shattering them.

:)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Live, um...finds a way.

I have never had so many mosquito bites, nor had my body react so strongly, as when I visited Newport, Rhode Island. I don't know wtf is going on over there, but the bugs alone should make it way cheaper than it is.

GWM: I was staying on someone else's boat

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MomJeans420 posted:

I have never had so many mosquito bites, nor had my body react so strongly, as when I visited Newport, Rhode Island. I don't know wtf is going on over there, but the bugs alone should make it way cheaper than it is.

GWM: I was staying on someone else's boat

gently caress Newport, though not just for that

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

silvergoose posted:

Someone didn't get invited to the debutante ball at the Breakers.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lowness 72 posted:

Someone didn't get invited to the debutante ball at the Breakers.

I had to take a tour of that while on a team building thing and it was the most boring loving thing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2019-195

SEC just fined MLM Herbalife for misleading investors. Hope this is the first of many

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Krispy Wafer posted:

Live, um...finds a way.

Yeah clearly some people have never been to northern Canada or Alaska in the summer. There are songs about how bad the insects are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Buying too much MLM garbage and would like some help lying to your spouse?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

canyoneer posted:

Buying too much MLM garbage and would like some help lying to your spouse?

Wow, that is brutal.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah clearly some people have never been to northern Canada or Alaska in the summer. There are songs about how bad the insects are.

I had never been chased by a literal cloud of mosquitoes until I visited northern Canada one summer. (On topic to the thread, basic goods are so much more expensive there that living there is definitely BWM. Like Hawaii but worse.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Did any of you guys ever play Ultima 7 back in the day? I don't want to give away too much of the plot of a 25 year old RPG, but I suddenly realized it basically summarizes as "What if Amway were somehow even more evil than they already are?"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Every road in MI is publicly maintained.

:negative:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

canyoneer posted:

https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2019-195

SEC just fined MLM Herbalife for misleading investors. Hope this is the first of many

"It's fine to enroll people in a pyramid scheme, but please don't also try to scam people with stocks because rich people might buy them" seems to be the takeaway here.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

TraderStav posted:

Every road in MI is publicly maintained.

:negative:

I'm guessing the strategy here is ":byodood: THE GUBMINT which we castrated and underfunded for eternity CANT EVEN MAINTAIN ROADS! WE NEED TO TURN THE ROADS OVER TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR!!" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

This guy gets it. gently caress Newport. It's the part of Rhode Island for people who aren't from Rhode Island.

We keep the parts that suck and are crooked as gently caress, which is everything else.