Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

skasion posted:

The nightjars are so much less scary than the purple ministry ninjas, those guys are total bastards. Nightjars are only a threat in groups, their guard is so weak you can just batter them down with R1s if you’re not being attacked by another one.

The Ministry Ninjas are pretty much Black Knights from Dark Souls, intimidating and very high risk to engage on equal footing, but as soon as you get their rhythm they go down like rats.

The nightjars are more trouble than theyre worth since theyre so dodgy and mobile, but good deflect timing sees them staggered in one round of their combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I think the Senpou Assassins are the least worth-it of them all. Single ones are easy but I usually just run past groups. They don’t really drop anything worthwhile in terms of cash, items, or xp, the ones with poison or shield hats are annoying if you don’t have antidotes or the axe equipped*, but most of all is their grab. In groups it can be hard to tell which one is the one actually initiating the grab so it’s hard to know which way to move.

*Not that opening up the menu and equipping them is hard, but they aren’t usually part of my standard load out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of the design decisions i lament is them having “only 3 tools equipped at a time” instead of letting you pull from a weapon wheel or numbers on the keyboard. just let you pick what the current “active” version of each tool is instead.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I'm honestly more curious as to what the hell Sekiro has been up to for the three years after the Hirata raid.
Because Kuro's dialogue makes it sound like he hasn't seen him since "that night" and Sekiro doesn't remember it, however he does at least know three years have passed since the raid.
Are "that night" and the raid the same? Sekiro could have multiple gaps in his memory (come on DLC!)
Then when you first try to escape, Genichiro makes some comment about how he hasn't seen Kuro since his uncle's funeral, was that right after the raid, before?
I mean obviously Owl didn't end up with Kuro, and one would assume the Interior Ministry didn't either, and from the samurai chatter it sounds like Kuro being prisoner and Sekiro being in the well are recent events.
So Genichiro's plan to use Kuro's blood seems recent as he's increasingly getting desperate.
I dunno, maybe Sekiro has just been sulking in the well for years.
Rough three years for everyone really, Owl got weaker, Isshin got sick, Sekiro losses everything.

You could maybe argue Genichiro was looking for the black mortal blade, but, that blade looks awfully similar to one Isshin used to defeat Tamura in the opening cut scene... (it is noticeably different from the one he wields as Tengu and fights you with in the Shura ending)
:shrug:

Also I found a youtubechannel that's actually going through Japense folklore and such rather than just making things up, so there's some interesting things.
They found out what the straw man is, literally a straw man.
http://yokai.com/waraningyou/

I also randomly stumbled upon a demon called Ashura, it's what that three headed statue in Senpou is.
http://yokai.com/ashura/
Might be more commonly known, but I thought it was neat.

Pulcinella posted:

I think the Senpou Assassins are the least worth-it of them all. Single ones are easy but I usually just run past groups.

They do suck to fight, but are worth killing as they reliably drop Gachiin sugar.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Can someone explain the Return ending to me? Did it just really happen the way I think it happened or is there some lore implication I missed doing that quest? Because, uh...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What do you think happened

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

new kind of cat posted:

Can someone explain the Return ending to me? Did it just really happen the way I think it happened or is there some lore implication I missed doing that quest? Because, uh...

Kuro "dies" so that he can be reborn back in China (or whatever "the west" refers to), where the immortal dragon heritage belongs. The child of divine waters is the vessel, both metaphorically for the water/blood and literally in that she will give birth to Kuro

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

according to mythology dragons are born in korea so its likely there.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Kild posted:

according to mythology dragons are born in korea so its likely there.

Plus the Divine Dragon wields the Seven-Branched Sword which is Korean in origin.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

What do you think happened

I’m pretty sure the divine child of the waters became pregnant with a psychic kuro

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

new kind of cat posted:

I’m pretty sure the divine child of the waters became pregnant with a psychic kuro

Pretty much!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got all the skill points, so all that’s left in my charmless run for platinum is to beat Sword Saint Isshin and make sure not to accidentally select an ending other than Severance. I made a bunch of attempts on Thursday and yesterday. My first two games saw everything going faster once I started beating Genichiro and Isshin’s sword phase without blowing my healing items. But now that I really have to know the timing of his attacks I have a super hard time reading him during the spear phase and end up dead very quicly..

Since I don’t need to pay ridiculously inflated XP costs anymore, I could just get the charm. That platinum is sooo cloooose...

Edit: Got 'im! According to the Steam achievements page, I started playing on July 4, and got the final achievement today.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 29, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I am coming back to the game after a few months since I couldn't beat the final boss.

I can't get past his second form. the old samurai who comes out of the guy's body. What are some tips and strategies to beat him?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Get your rear end beat over and over until you have his rythm down, run away any time he sheathed his sword or charges a wind attack but be sure to sprint back in to get a few hits in after.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Raposa posted:

Get your rear end beat over and over until you have his rythm down, run away any time he sheathed his sword or charges a wind attack but be sure to sprint back in to get a few hits in after.

So the run, charge, lick, run, repeat strategy?

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the run, charge, lick, run, repeat strategy?

stay in his face and dictate the fight. only put distance for the spinning wind charge [you might even be able to jump this and punish but i’m bad at getting it consistent] when he sheathes up, prepare to deflect the elbow thrust and jump over his perilous. being too far from him will cause him to use ashina cross, which might be preferable if you’re good at deflecting it.

when he swings his spear at you and jumps back, he almost always follows up with a few shots from his gun — deflecting these properly will bait him into a thrust attack that you can mikiri counter and punish

stay aggressive and bash your face against him until you feel his rhythm, recognize his tells, and can deflect reliably. you must crush his posture, do not give him time to breathe

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well those two radically different strategies.

FWIW, my vitality is at 17 and my attack power is at 10. Is that strong enough to defeat him or should I explore/grind some more?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think I like the Boss Rush mode now. I got up to Playthrough 3, so now all my money can go to spirit emblems.

It's nice being able to fight the bosses in different times of the day

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well those two radically different strategies.

FWIW, my vitality is at 17 and my attack power is at 10. Is that strong enough to defeat him or should I explore/grind some more?

I think you can get your attack power up a bit more which will help as well as some more prayer beads so yeah explore some more and clean up on missed upgrades.

of course, he’s totally defeatable with the stats you have but getting more can only help

new kind of cat fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 30, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For the sword phase you definitely want to stay on him as much as possible.

His basic attacks are easy to deflect and both the thrust and sweep are telegraphed by a punch attack.

His wind AoE is dangerous but for some reason you can dodge it like a sweep.

The spear phase is tricky so outranging him when he goes into extended combos is ok because his posture recovery is bad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I haven't seen this "spear phase" yet. Is that his third and final form?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I haven't seen this "spear phase" yet. Is that his third and final form?

second! third is ... similar to the second.

being aggressive and learning his rhythms is the most efficient and rewarding way to fight him. just keep at it. soon genichiro will be nothing more than a button check, and the sword phase will melt

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
For the wind charge attack just use ichimonji and stagger him out of it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

GodFish posted:

For the wind charge attack just use ichimonji and stagger him out of it.

or literally jump on his head if you can't get the timing right for Ichimonji.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I just beat ISS for the first time yesterday, and what ultimately worked for me was "R1, R1, L1, <defend or punish follow-up as appropriate>, repeat." For his first phase, when he sheathes his sword and doesn't gather wind that's your cue to strafe-run behind him (clockwise worked best for me) and hit him a couple times, which works for both of the attacks he does out of that stance. Keeping in his face and pressing swords seems to make him do his special perilous attack more often in the final phase, which is what you want. Middle phase is probably the hardest overall.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I can't stand multi-phase boss battles. Just so one really challenging encounter and that's it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the wind charge spin thing almost always comes after that move where he drive-by slashes at you while dashing a short distance away--there's a very exaggerated wind-up where he draws the sword back to one side first. if you deflect the slash and then immediately hit Shadowrush, the jumping portion of Shadowrush will cause you to pass over the wind slash 100% of the time

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, now I have the final boss in spearmode.

What are some recommended tips? It's easy to get the first hit on him but it's almost impossible to block his follow up attack.

Also, I assume his final form is the last orb, or is there going to be another version of him after I kill the three orbs?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
What makes spear phase difficult is that most of his moves have hyperarmor so, like you said, it's easy to hit him but he'll hit you right back because you're not able to interrupt his moves. I found it easiest to let him have the initiative and hit him on counterattacks after each parry. IIRC there are about six moves he can do if you stay in his face:

- fast high forehand: parry and counter
- average high backhand: parry and counter
- slow low backhand: parry and counter
- jump back with spear sweep (usually followed by repeated shots): either dodge forward and hit him, or block the spear/shots and Mikiri the followup thrust. Watch out for the rare sweep mixup
- leaping overhead slam: dodge or block, then hit him
- charged wind sweep: run away / ichimonji / jump / double parry / firecrackers / mist raven

If you mistime a parry he will launch into various combos and it will be a lot harder to avoid taking damage. If you need to heal then try to use a rock for cover.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally my experience of the boss in question was that forcing him to parry you is very very successful for almost all of the fight, as his sword form only has 3 follow-ups to him parrying and all are easy to respond to. The Spear Phase has more follow ups to him parrying, but most of them have strong tells and simple responses from the player to answer, additionally if you can parry the close up spear of the giant wind-slash you will take no damage from it.

He's the final exam of the game, and heavily encourages the aggressive playstyle Sekiro is trying to teach. It's almost the exact same deal as Genichiro, where going aggressive until Genichiro parries you is a very good way to control the fight from start to finish.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2019

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
The hardest part of the spear fights is finding safe openings to attack. The best opening is when he does his big jumping overhead spear slam. You can either parry it by using the umbrella and immediately attack with the "projected force" skill or just dodge forward to miss the head of the spear and get a few hits in.

If you can do that and consistently pull off mikiri counters you'll eventually get him. If I'm remembering right he usually does a thrust attack after shooting his gun, I would always watch out for that for an easy mikiri counter.

He's a hard boss, and the fight is extremely long. It took me a few evenings to finally beat him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally my experience of the boss in question was that forcing him to parry you is very very successful for almost all of the fight, as his sword form only has 3 follow-ups to him parrying and all are easy to respond to. The Spear Phase has more follow ups to him parrying, but most of them have strong tells and simple responses from the player to answer, additionally if you can parry the close up spear of the giant wind-slash you will take no damage from it.

He's the final exam of the game, and heavily encourages the aggressive playstyle Sekiro is trying to teach. It's almost the exact same deal as Genichiro, where going aggressive until Genichiro parries you is a very good way to control the fight from start to finish.

:agreed:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I beat him much faster than the owls because he, like genichiro, heavily rewards you for going in hard and he can go down pretty fast. He was also thrusting whenever I deflected all 3 of his bullets which made going in easy.

For his third orb when you see the lightning try out mist raven, it is a pleasing interaction.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
If you're really struggling with stage 2 use up your emblems on fireworks/mortal blade to speed through it as fast as possible, stage 3 is a lot easier since you can lightning reversal him down.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm afraid of using emblems and stuff since I have to grind to get more after I lose.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
If you haven't opened the door for the woman in Fountainhead Palace to kill the mist nobles, its an incredibly easy fast grind for spirit emblems and money to use for spirit emblems (they also drop pellets and wax)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm afraid of using emblems and stuff since I have to grind to get more after I lose.

You're not using them now, in case you run out and can't use them later. You're already not using them, how would running out be any different?

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I am only a few hours into this game. I beat the second General mini-boss, decided that I didn't want to gently caress with ghosts or whatever so I went the other way and went down to stab the snake in the eye (was I supposed to hang out and kill it there?). I put in a couple of attempts on the horse guy and I wasn't making any real progress so I went back to the temple and went into the dream/memory thing at the buddha statue. I got to the spear mini-boss before I had to go to work. This game loving rips.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can’t kill the snake there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I got to the final form of the final boss. Is there a way I can predict where the lighting will strike?