Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Creep Show is kind of weird because the actual shorts are pretty good, but the wraparounds and comics transitions are pretty lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Creep Show is kind of weird because the actual shorts are pretty good, but the wraparounds and comics transitions are pretty lovely.

The comics weren’t great but I will hear no Ill words about a ghoul drinking a beer and painting a doll head while chuckling

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean The Creep (or the Creepkeeper or Vaultcreeper or whatever he's called) is certainly no Cryptkeeper. The Cryptkeeper would've come up with like ten puns for "head" by the end of the second story.

Why that's certainly no way to get.. a head! She'll never be the head of her class! Why, if she thinks she's going to head off trouble, I've got noose for her... she's headed in the wrong direction! EEEE HEEHEEHEEHEEHEE!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
One Cut of the Dead is absolutely fantastic. There's not really any horror in it but any horror fan should love it. Very creative and fun. Can't wait to watch it again.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

el oso posted:

One Cut of the Dead is absolutely fantastic. There's not really any horror in it but any horror fan should love it. Very creative and fun. Can't wait to watch it again.

It is, without any hyperbole, my favorite movie of the year so far.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Y'all hyping this thing big time, but I'm waiting til Oct 1st by god.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

The comics weren’t great but I will hear no Ill words about a ghoul drinking a beer and painting a doll head while chuckling
I was mostly fine with him, but the animated transformation kind of sucked.

My heart is also waiting for puns that never come.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I wasnt even gonna watch it on account of being a zombie movie but now I'm confused and intrigued and it's pretty much on top of my watch list.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

deety posted:

My favorite little reference in the new Creepshow was the chained up crate in the dollhouse attic.

On rewatch, I noticed one of the rugs in the dollhouse has the same pattern of the carpet in the Overlook hotel.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Castle Rock is a good representation of the platonic ideal of Stephen King

Creepshow is a good representation of early 80s King as he actually was

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

practical effects creep rules though

edit:What are some good, lesser known Miike horror films to help fill out october? Or, hell, what's the GOOD garbage in his monolithic catalogue?

Pomp fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 28, 2019

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
31 movies minimum including all challenges. Only theme is that I won’t be watching any movies I’ve seen in the last 10 years. All new movies or movies I haven’t seen in a long long time.

First challenge I’ve attempted since I wasn’t both working full time and a full time student so I shouldn’t have any trouble completing it this time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fran why did you start the challenge right when Dragon Quest 11 came out :argh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pomp posted:

edit:What are some good, lesser known Miike horror films to help fill out october? Or, hell, what's the GOOD garbage in his monolithic catalogue?

Gozu (2003) for sure, don't skip this one

Also for general oddness check out Izo, maybe Zebraman

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

The real horror challenge was the dragons we slayed along the way.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

married but discreet posted:

I wasnt even gonna watch it on account of being a zombie movie but now I'm confused and intrigued and it's pretty much on top of my watch list.

it has zombies in it, but it isn't really a zombie movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

Wow I never thought it'd be Kvlt! who was the truest poser of them all........

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Has anyone done the october challenge but just watched the same movie 31 times? someone should do that...for science

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

gey muckle mowser posted:

it has zombies in it, but it isn't really a zombie movie.

Sort of like the one part in the "Something to Tide You Over" part of the original Creepshow movie except not like that at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

COOL CORN posted:

To vindicate himself, Kvlt! must write a two-page essay on why Dragon Quest is horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

What's the general consensus of how many films are in the Amityville Horror franchise? It's like how we've joked about how many are in the Demons franchise with official films and the ones they just slapped a title on.

No less than 20.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I started watching the Possession of Hannah Grace since it is on Prime and loving :lol: the possessed girl's dad is the same guy that plays the dad in the Exorcism of Emily Rose. Anyways it's loving unwatchable and I couldn't make it 20 minutes in but that made me laugh, I guess that is that actor's niche now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Has anyone done the october challenge but just watched the same movie 31 times? someone should do that...for science

Watch Rob Zombie’s 31 31 times for 31 days.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Watch Rob Zombie’s 31 31 times for 31 days.

What is the most horrific description of hell, Alex?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

COOL CORN posted:

I thought we set a better example for him. *sob*

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Perfect. In this challenge there's always a couple of years when I'm watching a movie solely because "this is the first movie from that year I could find." So any good hook like "Bela Lugosi's later films" works for me. Thanks. Let me know when you intend to watch it and we can try and synch up.

My watching arrangement is pretty fluid, so just say hey when you're ready to knock that one out, and I'll line it up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

I thought we set a better example for him. *sob*

I kept telling you to beat him

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

I started watching the Possession of Hannah Grace since it is on Prime and loving :lol: the possessed girl's dad is the same guy that plays the dad in the Exorcism of Emily Rose. Anyways it's loving unwatchable and I couldn't make it 20 minutes in but that made me laugh, I guess that is that actor's niche now.

Shoulda stuck with it, it's a nice, low key, moody flick.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I very much hated Exorcism of Emily Rose.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shoulda stuck with it, it's a nice, low key, moody flick.

Hmmm. All right I'll give it a shot then. I was just put off by how generic the exorcism scene at the beginning was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo I meant the dad from The Last Exorcism not Emily Rose. i haven't even seen Emily Rose! haha. Last Exorcism is good though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
my october is gonna be watching every chucky and every hellraiser and every noes and also all the poltergeists

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

One Cut of the Dead was an absolute pleasure. Thank you thread, as always.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

YOU PEOPLE MADE ME THIS WAY WITH YOUR MIDSOMMARS AND YOUR MIKE FLANAGANS YOU CREATED THIS MONSTER IVE BECOME

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

YOU PEOPLE MADE ME THIS WAY WITH YOUR MIDSOMMARS AND YOUR MIKE FLANAGANS YOU CREATED THIS MONSTER IVE BECOME

Evil Bong should have taught you this already

That monster was inside of you all along

You have learned nothing

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
You guys are killing Kvlt! with your quality horror suggestions.

The bro has waded through spooky schlock for so long the sunshine of quality actually burns.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
more accurately, he now knows the pain of Japanese salarymen everywhere: having to balance important duties with new Dragon Quest

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

You guys are killing Kvlt! with your quality horror suggestions.

The bro has waded through spooky schlock for so long the sunshine of quality actually burns.

this is actually unironically true, I watch so much low-budget splatter and SOV poo poo that now modern high-production, "quality" horror films are kinda really boring to me. It's not that there aren't ones I don't like but when you consume so much schlock and SFX-showcase splatter you don't really wanna sit through like Hereditary stuff

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

more accurately, he now knows the pain of Japanese salarymen everywhere: having to balance important duties with new Dragon Quest

Actually lol'ed at this

ALSO: I've been diving into Asian horror a lot recently (I've been trying to watch Suicide Club but it hurts my eyes so bad). I've seen all the splatter stuff like Guinea Pig, Toky Gore Police, Machine Girl, Grotesque, etc. so i'm mainly looking for either less-known extreme stuff or some great ghost stories or just any really good Asian horror: i haven't seen any "classic" Asian horror movies besides the Vampire Doll trilogy, Audition, and The Grudge so feel free to toss me a suggestion that's more "popular" as well. No found footage please I get motion sick.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 28, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Have you seen Wild Zero? I think you'd dig it. Also Mikadroid Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla. For more slow-burn stuff, there's Kwaidan and Pulse, and in animation, there's the Violence Jack series, Demon City Shinjuku, and Hell Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Have you seen Wild Zero? I think you'd dig it. Also Mikadroid Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla. For more slow-burn stuff, there's Kwaidan and Pulse, and in animation, there's the Violence Jack series, Demon City Shinjuku, and Hell Target.

I haven't seen any of these so all this is a fantastic place to start! The only names that ring a bell are Violence Jack. Thank you!