Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

ALSO: I've been diving into Asian horror a lot recently (I've been trying to watch Suicide Club but it hurts my eyes so bad). I've seen all the splatter stuff like Guinea Pig, Toky Gore Police, Machine Girl, Grotesque, etc. so i'm mainly looking for either less-known extreme stuff or some great ghost stories or just any really good Asian horror: i haven't seen any "classic" Asian horror movies besides the Vampire Doll trilogy, Audition, and The Grudge so feel free to toss me a suggestion that's more "popular" as well. No found footage please I get motion sick.

I really like The Red Shoes, and like Darthemed said Pulse is very good too. Have you seen House? That’s a must-see.

Some other older stuff I recommend: Horrors of Malformed Men, A Chinese Ghost Story, Blind Woman’s Curse, Suddenly in the Dark, Jigoku, Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Noroi is extremely worth a watch.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kvlt! posted:

ALSO: I've been diving into Asian horror a lot recently (I've been trying to watch Suicide Club but it hurts my eyes so bad). I've seen all the splatter stuff like Guinea Pig, Toky Gore Police, Machine Girl, Grotesque, etc. so i'm mainly looking for either less-known extreme stuff or some great ghost stories or just any really good Asian horror: i haven't seen any "classic" Asian horror movies besides the Vampire Doll trilogy, Audition, and The Grudge so feel free to toss me a suggestion that's more "popular" as well. No found footage please I get motion sick.

House (1977)
Cure (1997)
Shutter (2004)
The Untold Story (1993)
2LDK

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, if there weren't a 'no found footage' request, Noroi was gonna be my first rec.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Wild Zero introduced me to how loving rad Guitar Wolf is and for that I will be forever thankful.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Kvlt! posted:

Encounters Of The Spooky Kind isn't really "scary," but is definitely horror-themed and a lot of fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Have any of you watched the Netflix show Haunted? It's a Supernatural Tell-all, like "My Celebrity Ghost Encounter", but the re-enactments are really well-made, and the show is unrated, so you get plenty of blood and jump scares mixed with the storytelling segments.

It's really good. Probably the best "Ghost Story" format show I've seen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Franchescanado posted:

Have any of you watched the Netflix show Haunted? It's a Supernatural Tell-all, like "My Celebrity Ghost Encounter", but the re-enactments are really well-made, and the show is unrated, so you get plenty of blood and jump scares mixed with the storytelling segments.

It's really good. Probably the best "Ghost Story" format show I've seen.

I was on the fence about it, because I know the Discovery Channel had a show like this that was really meh, but I'll check it out now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I was on the fence about it, because I know the Discovery Channel had a show like this that was really meh, but I'll check it out now. Thanks for the recommendation.

It's especially disturbing. The second episode is hosed up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darthemed posted:

Have you seen Wild Zero? I think you'd dig it. Also Mikadroid Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla. For more slow-burn stuff, there's Kwaidan and Pulse, and in animation, there's the Violence Jack series, Demon City Shinjuku, and Hell Target.

gently caress yes.

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen any of these so all this is a fantastic place to start! The only names that ring a bell are Violence Jack. Thank you!

Everything Darthemed recommended here fuckin' owns in its own way (Wild Zero especially, the way it goes from such a slow start to, what it is, oh my God that movie is amazing), great suggestions.

I don't like Violence Jack much myself (the manga is good stuff though honestly) personally, but that's definitely a high up there one if you like splatter. Also it's been a couple pages so it's time for LORD OF BOOTY and I to talk up Genocyber again if you haven't seen it, it's just three episodes and they're all on YouTube, sci-fi horror with a really cool premise and consequences of stuff, and it's like one of the ur-anime if you're looking for some gory or/and body horror action. The manga is really good too but was cut short very early.

On top of what was suggested, you might dig Rubber's Lover, Hellevator, and Death Powder.

Also, you must have seen it but as someone that's saying they want Asian horror AND your preference for schlocky stuff, please please please please please seek these out if you haven't seen them, I believe they're all on some combination of Prime/Shudder except Boxer's Omen which seems to have vanished:

Boxer's Omen
Bruka: Queen of Evil
Gozu
Lady Terminator

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also The Seventh Curse is on Amazon! I got introduced to that in last year’s challenge and it is loving insane.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My wife and I watch one horror movie a year and we’ve seen basically none of them. What are some must-sees?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lumbermouth posted:

Also The Seventh Curse is on Amazon! I got introduced to that in last year’s challenge and it is loving insane.

OMG yeah Seventh Curse rules and is super fun!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

My wife and I watch one horror movie a year and we’ve seen basically none of them. What are some must-sees?

August Underground Mordum is generally regarded to be one of the all time greats

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darthemed posted:

Yeah, if there weren't a 'no found footage' request, Noroi was gonna be my first rec.

It's shot like a TV show and other "found footage" but I don't think there's much there that would induce motion sickness. It's not Blair Witch shaky running POV but I'm not Kvlt's area postrema so idk

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

I haven't seen any of these so all this is a fantastic place to start! The only names that ring a bell are Violence Jack. Thank you!

Violence Jack is basically Genocyber's grungier, less artsy cousin, you'll love it

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Just as a heads-up, Violence Jack has some pretty rough content in it re: child death and sexual assault. Like I know this is the horror thread and we all cut our teeth on the skeeziest stuff possible, but I still feel like it's worth mentioning just as a general thing for people who might go in blind.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

weekly font posted:

It's shot like a TV show and other "found footage" but I don't think there's much there that would induce motion sickness. It's not Blair Witch shaky running POV but I'm not Kvlt's area postrema so idk
Yeah, most of it is pretty steady camera-work, but there's the woods scenes and the end scene, and I remember both of those bouncing around a lot as the camera operator freaked out.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The Kingfish posted:

Can’t go wrong with Halloween. The original Hellraiser is also streaming on just about every platform.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
yo whats that trilogy of films about the Japanese statue that comes to life?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Disposable Scud posted:

yo whats that trilogy of films about the Japanese statue that comes to life?

Daimajin?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Can I get some takes on Tremors 5 and 6? Are there any redeeming qualities to them? I haven't seen them, and I'm thinking about doing the whole Tremors series for the October Challenge. But I'm worried that it'll just be three movies I like and then three bad movies wearing the skin of movies I like

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

yesss thank you. I watched the first last October and thought it was swell. Going to watch those other two now.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I made my list for the October challenge on Letterboxd, half already seen and half unseen, so is there any way to check off the entries on the list as I knock them out besides 'watched' (since those I've seen before are already marked as watched)?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Can I get some takes on Tremors 5 and 6? Are there any redeeming qualities to them? I haven't seen them, and I'm thinking about doing the whole Tremors series for the October Challenge. But I'm worried that it'll just be three movies I like and then three bad movies wearing the skin of movies I like

I enjoyed Tremors 5. I didn't expect to because of Jamie Kennedy but I found him to be not that bad in this case. Tremors 6 was garbage though, and it felt to me like the Burt character just wasn't the same. But hey, if you're that far into the series I guess you might as well just finish it out.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Here's my big unsorted bargain bin style list of horror that I might watch eventually, pick some good ones, or tell me to stay away from stinkers:

1cut of the dead, waxwork, raising cain, the innkeepers, children of the corn, brain damage, the house by the cemetery, spring, tigers are not afraid, night of the comet, bat without wings, butterfly murders, climax, oily maniac, lair of the white worm, black magic, black magic 2, rosemarys baby, the gift, cujo, graveyard shift, the vanishing, nothing but the night, images, two evil eyes, the book of birdie, exorcist 3, the great alligator, the killer on the phone, weekend murders, the other hell, les diaboliques, the bloodstained shadow, burial ground, voices from beyond, screamers, daughter of dead, caltiki the immortal monster, delirium, macabre, the crazies, a blade in the dark, possum,dominion, dead ringers, eyes of lara mars, vhs, maniac, satans slaves, the witch that came from the sea, terrorvision, evil of dracula, unsane, spontaneous combustion, world of kanako, the noonday witch, house on haunted hill, season of the witch, the gate, children shouldnt play with dead things, big bad wolves, night train to terror, it comes at night, sennentuntschi, spider baby, willow creek, escape from tomorrow, the greasy strangler, zombi, castle freak, hour of the wolf, all the colours of the dark

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed Tremors 5. I didn't expect to because of Jamie Kennedy but I found him to be not that bad in this case. Tremors 6 was garbage though, and it felt to me like the Burt character just wasn't the same. But hey, if you're that far into the series I guess you might as well just finish it out.

If Tremors 5 is alright I might give it a go. Like, I know Tremors 3 isn't great, nowhere near the level of Tremors or Tremors 2, but I still like it.

married but discreet posted:

Here's my big unsorted bargain bin style list of horror that I might watch eventually, pick some good ones, or tell me to stay away from stinkers:

1cut of the dead, waxwork, raising cain, the innkeepers, children of the corn, brain damage, the house by the cemetery, spring, tigers are not afraid, night of the comet, bat without wings, butterfly murders, climax, oily maniac, lair of the white worm, black magic, black magic 2, rosemarys baby, the gift, cujo, graveyard shift, the vanishing, nothing but the night, images, two evil eyes, the book of birdie, exorcist 3, the great alligator, the killer on the phone, weekend murders, the other hell, les diaboliques, the bloodstained shadow, burial ground, voices from beyond, screamers, daughter of dead, caltiki the immortal monster, delirium, macabre, the crazies, a blade in the dark, possum,dominion, dead ringers, eyes of lara mars, vhs, maniac, satans slaves, the witch that came from the sea, terrorvision, evil of dracula, unsane, spontaneous combustion, world of kanako, the noonday witch, house on haunted hill, season of the witch, the gate, children shouldnt play with dead things, big bad wolves, night train to terror, it comes at night, sennentuntschi, spider baby, willow creek, escape from tomorrow, the greasy strangler, zombi, castle freak, hour of the wolf, all the colours of the dark

I enjoy the fact that there are two different movies called Oily Maniac and Greasy Strangler.

I haven't seen Escape From Tomorrow, but this review makes it sound like unwatchable garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BiNsFFzcs

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you've ever been too high on drugs and freaked out, Escape From Tomorrow is a really fantastic movie because you'll understand that fear.

If you haven't it will bore you to tears probably.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

married but discreet posted:

I found Eyes of Laura Mars kind of disappointing, and Spontaneous Combustion is kinda shaky. Which versions of The Crazies, House on Haunted Hill, Season of the Witch, Delirium, and The Gift are you listing?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tart Kitty posted:

Just as a heads-up, Violence Jack has some pretty rough content in it re: child death and sexual assault. Like I know this is the horror thread and we all cut our teeth on the skeeziest stuff possible, but I still feel like it's worth mentioning just as a general thing for people who might go in blind.

if it was anyone else I was rec'ing it to, I'd definitely cosign this, but uh, I think the guy who stans August Underground can handle it :v:

like that's another rec that's specifically for Kvlt! and not really meant for anyone else unless you like sick poo poo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kvlt! posted:

watch zombie rear end: toilet of the dead

as for non-mean spirited suggestions, pulse and kwaidan are both amazing

i'm also gonna ignore your no found footage rule and say noroi because it's extremely good and more of a legit mockumentary than an idiot just filming everything.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mikeycp posted:

watching every chucky

This gon' be me. But then I'm the kind of guy who hears the name "Chucky" and wants to immediately marathon all the Chuckys, no matter the time of year.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if it was anyone else I was rec'ing it to, I'd definitely cosign this, but uh, I think the guy who stans August Underground can handle it :v:

like that's another rec that's specifically for Kvlt! and not really meant for anyone else unless you like sick poo poo

I know that the thread's Weird Baby can handle it, I was more just broadcasting it for anyone out there who might be reading otherwise.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What the gently caress, the Blu-ray of Idle Hands dropped the commentary that was on the DVD. And all the other extras, but I'm really upset about the commentary. Apparently there's an Australian Blu-ray that has them all, but I'm not seeing it on Amazon.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Kvlt! posted:

I really enjoyed Noroi: The Curse, and Uzumaki rules.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kvlt! posted:

Watch Vampire Clay, I think you will like it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
MacheteZombie gave me a good idea for a gouache painting. It was very difficult, but I hope some of you like it!

It's on 9"x12" paper.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Kingfish posted:

Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood is a personal favorite

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

MacheteZombie gave me a good idea for a gouache painting. It was very difficult, but I hope some of you like it!

It's on 9"x12" paper.

I love this so much and want to hang it in my office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
More horror art.