Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MisterZimbu posted:

Just want to say that my main takeaway from prerelease is that the foil storybook cards are absolutely beautiful.

Also a questing beast.

Was also surprised to see how common the alternate art cards actually were as well; seemed like it was about one in every other pack.

Yeah, I pulled a couple and they're way better than I thought they would be. Went in thinking I'd ditch any I pulled, but they look nice enough I think I'll keep them. Apparently the fairy counter spell I got is worth like 15 euros right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yawgmoth posted:

theros/khans was legit my favorite standard ever

i think it's fair, i was considering RTR/THS standard which was all packrat and desecration demon but khans opened up the format a lot.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

wotc is doing a good job of ensuring that each new standard format is more miserable than the last

this standard has been around for like three days lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I enjoyed both hyperlinear devotion decks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Monoblack devotion was super dominant but it was also just a cool deck so I wasnt too upset about it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Did you report the nazi to the TO? Someone at GP Indy a couple years back got asked to change his shirt because it looked extremely swastika-esque.
Fake edit: Would they let you wear a shirt that says in English block letters "Let's rape some bitches!"? Both are extremely hostile.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

I enjoyed both hyperlinear devotion decks.

thats not what linear means

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tubgoat posted:

Did you report the nazi to the TO? Someone at GP Indy a couple years back got asked to change his shirt because it looked extremely swastika-esque.
Fake edit: Would they let you wear a shirt that says in English block letters "Let's rape some bitches!"? Both are extremely hostile.

I reported to the closest thing the store has, she was clearly uncomfortable with it as well but said it wasnt really enough to say anything about it to them without them saying or doing anything. She said she would talk with the owner about potentially changing their store policy but im not sure how far that will go. She did thank me for saying something though so maybe something comes of it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Press that poo poo like an olive, and get everyone else to as well. Drive these inhuman monsters back underground.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
they will probably institute a no politics rule rather than anything else. a lot of magic players are chuds and the owner is going to want to tiptoe around alienating their clientele.

the owner might also be a chud because small business owners are pretty much trump's whole demographic.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 29, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, I pulled a couple and they're way better than I thought they would be. Went in thinking I'd ditch any I pulled, but they look nice enough I think I'll keep them. Apparently the fairy counter spell I got is worth like 15 euros right now

I'm curious to see how they are going to implement these in Arena and if it's going to be a grind or a gouge. They are absolutely gorgeous

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

the owner is going to want to tiptoe around alienating their clientele.
Worked for Chik-Fil-A. :haw:

Sampatrick posted:

the owner might also be a chud because small business owners are pretty much trump's whole demographic.
Counterpoint:the owner of Dreamers' Vault in Minneapolis would ask very very politely once. He is a better man than I.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 29, 2019

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tubgoat posted:

Press that poo poo like an olive

What

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
That is how you get cooking oil. I couldn't think of anything else offhand that one presses relentlessly.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sampatrick posted:

While this is true, your average LGS is only reluctantly a business.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

That is how you get cooking oil. I couldn't think of anything else offhand that one presses relentlessly.

Babies for baby oil?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mat Cauthon posted:

Second day of the prerelease and people already claiming the new set ruined standard. Has to be some kind of record.

If it took till the second day it isn't a record, people will complain about standard being ruined on day -20.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

Babies for baby oil?
I'm anti-natalist to my bones, but once they're out, they're a vulnerable citizen that must be protected.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

The deck Floch won the PT with was the best standard deck ever.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cactrot posted:

If it took till the second day it isn't a record, people will complain about standard being ruined on day -20.

Teferi has been out for like 4 months and it supposedly insurmountable

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Teferi has been out for like 4 months and it supposedly insurmountable
In fairness, Jace, the Mind Sculptor was less of a pain in the rear end when I played against him.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I’m just jamming a knight aggro deck and waiting for people to stop exploring new cards and get back to playing Narset/Teferi before I put together something more competitive

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Standard seems fun enough, except for Garruk, who seems like a gigantic pain in the rear end for non-sweeper decks. I got trounced by a desk with him and tolsimir playing that rakdos midrange deck, which turns out isn’t very good.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
A guy in my first match pulled a full art non foil will and rowan and questing beast. So I guess you can get full art in the packs?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time posted:

Got to mythic with freakin wolves, set owns

and by mythic I mean gold

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

The American Dream posted:

A guy in my first match pulled a full art non foil will and rowan and questing beast. So I guess you can get full art in the packs?

I think "extended art" cards are the ones you can only get in collector boosters.

Extended art are the ones I've been thinking are going to be the hard ones to find, being foil all the more so. Foil seems basically common now and extended art is the new thing nobody has. Full frame art occurs only on plainswalker cards and the extended art seems to be on almost anything including planswalker cards unless I'm losing my mind.

Obligatory https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/project-booster-fun-2019-07-20

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 29, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Was it for sure a regular booster pack from a normal-print box, or were there special one-of promo packs for the prerelease?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Tubgoat posted:

Was it for sure a regular booster pack from a normal-print box, or were there special one-of promo packs for the prerelease?

He said he pulled it from his pre release. That’d be the dumbest way to cheat ever. It was full art non foil. I think the collectors pack version would be foil.

I have a GED so like Hell im trying to figure out that loving chart.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

like Hell im trying to figure out that loving chart.
*shudder*

Wasn't accusing the opp of anything, just making sure it wasn't from a seeded prerelease pack or something.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I got a full art non-foil Royal Scions and several alternate Adventure arts in my pre-release pool so at least some of the Collectors stuff is in pre-release packs.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mr. Locke posted:

pre-release packs.
This is what I was getting at, though it is my understanding that the alt-frames are raredrops in regular boosters. I can't loving wait for two weeks from now when I can draft.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
Play-any-deck mode was great. Getting a couple games in with a bunch of different Fandom top 8 decks was a welcome break from jank world.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Tubgoat posted:

This is what I was getting at, though it is my understanding that the alt-frames are raredrops in regular boosters. I can't loving wait for two weeks from now when I can draft.

You can definitely get the borderless walkers in regular packs, I pulled a borderless Garruk today from a sealed draft booster box.
Additionally, I watched a guy last night pull a foil borderless Oko from a prerelease pack at midnight. I think thats the most expensive card in the set?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

My prerelease was sweet, opened Emry, Vantress Gargoyle, Clackbridge Troll, Murderous Rider, and Castle Lochthwain. Ground people out with U/B.

This format is fun, if a little bomb heavy, but slow formats usually are.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
loving god, I wish any of my LGSes drafted this weekend.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

motedek posted:

Play-any-deck mode was great. Getting a couple games in with a bunch of different Fandom top 8 decks was a welcome break from jank world.

I became that dude and started a smurf to keep playing the event, feels good.

If you want to, queue up a video or podcast because while you can skip the tutorials (account settings) you cannot skip the "win 3 games vs AI with a Portal deck to unlock regular game modes" requirement.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Did the classic at my prerelease tonight: the 0-2 drop. I just don’t get sealed. I’m sure there’s a better deck in my pile, but I always feel I get just enough to almost be good in every color, which is annoying. At least I pulled an Emry for EDH purposes and a Once Upon A Time to probably sell early because I’m betting it’ll tank soon.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BrianBoitano posted:

you cannot skip the "win 3 games vs AI with a Portal deck to unlock regular game modes" requirement.
As one who feels he has a solid grasp on the game, I'm still pretty okay with this.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

Did the classic at my prerelease tonight: the 0-2 drop. I just don’t get sealed. I’m sure there’s a better deck in my pile, but I always feel I get just enough to almost be good in every color, which is annoying. At least I pulled an Emry for EDH purposes and a Once Upon A Time to probably sell early because I’m betting it’ll tank soon.

As a fellow lootdrafter, I'm usually there for the pulls and if I can build something cool from it I'll stick around, and if not, I've got better things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lets Pickle posted:

My prerelease was sweet, opened Emry, Vantress Gargoyle, Clackbridge Troll, Murderous Rider, and Castle Lochthwain. Ground people out with U/B.

This format is fun, if a little bomb heavy, but slow formats usually are.

Emry + Vantress Gargoyle seems pretty good.