Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system will you play the Good COD Game on?
PS4
XBone
PC
generic comedy option
View Results

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

jabro posted:

lol no one said that.

John F Bennett posted:

In the end it's just a game, you do with it what you want. Buy it, don't buy it. If you're an adult then go buy some loot boxes, if you're a kid then you're not allowed to buy them anyway.
Let people do with their own money what they want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

See no one said that. You guys keep trying to twist what people say to fit your narrative.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, it's not like billionaire corporations employ psychologists or commission studies on the most effective way to hook those most likely to succumb to gambling addiction or anything, it's their fault for trying it and not "just saying no"...

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

dunno why i'm surprised by all of the "free market can do no wrong, fault lies in the individual" posters itt

I look forwards to paying to WIN, unlike some of you free loading Losers!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

someone said loot boxes aren’t the problem; it’s *bad parenting* that’s the problem

You cut out most of what I said but whatever, twist it however you want.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

You cut out most of what I said but whatever, twist it however you want.

Explain how your post says anything other than a half assed "loot boxes are bad but really it's the parents fault."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
There’s two big arguments going on here but really the one way you can really exercise your voice is to not buy the game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

oh for sure, just not buy call of duty, because there's so many other competing games just like it that all your friends are going to play too, such as

Kilometers Davis posted:

I enjoy pulling the slot machine lever. Even more so when it doesn’t cost me anything and I’m rewarded with fancy skins!

Why Borderlands 2 was the best game; a literal slot machine in a bar that didn't require real money, and you got loot, money, cosmetic items, and inventory upgrade currency.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 28, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bumper Stickup posted:

Explain how your post says anything other than a half assed "loot boxes are bad but really it's the parents fault."

I said they are bad but there are simple ways to avoid having your child be exploited by them. Like, actually using the tools that hardware manufacturers provide or you know, engaging with what your children are consuming to some degree, or not just giving a 7 year old free reign on your credit card for the M rated game you bought them. I don't get why the suggestion that people have any sort of personal responsibility in life is so offensive, but this is the SA forums so I guess I'm not that surprised.

All of the "think of the children" "think of the gambling addicts" stuff in regards to loot boxes has always just seemed like BS to me anyways. I've never seen anyone express this level of concern with like, actual gambling addicts or other kids stuff that functions the same way as loot boxes. But you bring up loot boxes and it's drama central. Just comes off as people being mad about a thing they don't like in their games more than actually caring about exploitation tbh.

My point is that good parenting can prevent this stuff, and if there is some minority of adults wasting their life savings on this stuff it's a pretty deep rooted problem that goes way deeper than just loot boxes, and they need to get professional help. Which I support in the form of universal health care! Just thought I'd add that last bit because I can already tell I'm about to get called a republican because I don't buy whole hog into this kind of thinking lol.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I said they are bad but there are simple ways to avoid having your child be exploited by them. Like, actually using the tools that hardware manufacturers provide or you know, engaging with what your children are consuming to some degree,

i don hav time, i got 2 get to my 3rd job s i can giv them a lunch 4 school thx nyway

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
A lot of my friends buy NHL every year. I stopped buying ea sports games since 2012. You’re not a bad person if you do or do not buy. But literally the only thing that I’m theory could send a message is them making less money.

I mean there’s other ways too but I’m buying this stupid loving game and I guess if that means some kids are going to go insane over loot boxes I’ll live with it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf got 19 for free on xbl but I only played one game back over the summer. Wanna get into it, but gently caress analog sticks for shooting. Be cool if they finally updated the graphics so they all dont look like fat beer league jimbos. pretty much raze and start from scratch really if they wanna make it in any way good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

i don hav time, i got 2 get to my 3rd job s i can giv them a lunch 4 school thx nyway

Oops I almost forgot to give them my credit card on the way out!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

veni veni veni posted:

I said they are bad but there are simple ways to avoid having your child be exploited by them. Like, actually using the tools that hardware manufacturers provide or you know, engaging with what your children are consuming to some degree, or not just giving a 7 year old free reign on your credit card for the M rated game you bought them. I don't get why the suggestion that people have any sort of personal responsibility in life is so offensive, but this is the SA forums so I guess I'm not that surprised.

All of the "think of the children" "think of the gambling addicts" stuff in regards to loot boxes has always just seemed like BS to me anyways. I've never seen anyone express this level of concern with like, actual gambling addicts or other kids stuff that functions the same way as loot boxes. But you bring up loot boxes and it's drama central. Just comes off as people being mad about a thing they don't like in their games more than actually caring about exploitation tbh.

My point is that good parenting can prevent this stuff, and if there is some minority of adults wasting their life savings on this stuff it's a pretty deep rooted problem that goes way deeper than just loot boxes, and they need to get professional help. Which I support in the form of universal health care! Just thought I'd add that last bit because I can already tell I'm about to get called a republican because I don't buy whole hog into this kind of thinking lol.

This is a very good post!

Also, I like shooting other humans so I can't wait to get my hands on this COD game. When I say I like shooting humans, I meant online of course.
But I always turn voice chat audio to zero, I don't want to hear my team members breathing. Because they breath a lot and I sometimes even hear music.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Oops I almost forgot to give them my credit card on the way out!

You didn't have to, they input the number while you were sleeping. Kids are smart.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Let's talk about how schoolyard kids use "default" as an insult. "Default" as in looking like a game character that has no mtx-cosmetics on them.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Here are my impressions from the beta to try to talk about game instead of lootbox chat:

Gunplay in CoD has generally felt smooth and good, and MW takes it to a higher level. There's a real weight and punchiness to the gunplay, and you can feel the attention to detail and work that went into the guns. The movement feels weighted and grounded without feeling plain slow like WW2 did. And there's still room for players to differentiate themselves via movement.

Weapon balance is solid. At the start of every CoD, people say "this is an SMG year" before they unlock attachments for the ARs and LMGs. Yes, the MP5 and MP7 are pretty good. So were the M4 and FAMAS once you got attachments. It's a similar story with the first LMG once you get Quickdraw & Stock, and figure out how to abuse mounting. Making TTK faster meant that snipers weren't the blight that they were in WW2 and BO4. This is a Call of Duty game, meaning the shotguns were bad.

Ground War was fun and dumb. It was my favorite mode out of 2v2, 6v6, and 10v10. I'm hopeful that the frames will be better at launch, as optimization is one of those things left until late.

The streaks are a mixed bag. The higher-end streaks, starting with the VTOL, feel appropriately powerful. The low-end streaks are trash. UAV and Personal Radar are worthless since everyone runs Ghost. The changes to CUAV and the airstrike feel like change for change's sake. The Predator feels like a boat to control. Finally, the popular low-end streak combos are no more. UAV, CUAV, and Care Package are all 4 streaks, and you can only choose 1 4 streak reward.

These maps leave a lot to be desired. Instead of building 3-lane maps, Infinity Ward are on record saying they wanted to build maps around power positions, like many of the classic CoD4/MW2 maps:

quote:

One of the biggest changes was in terms of map design. Says Geoff; “if you take a horizontal plane, and you give everybody the exact same weapon, who wins? What skill wins? It’s really the player that has the better aim.” It was time to even the playing field (and the battlefield) just a little: “In our previous games, we would have these power positions, and those got boiled out of the game due to concerns about ‘head-glitching’ or camping. But that was the kind of special sauce that made Team Deathmatch work so well; that you have a power position and you actually have an advantage by having a line of sight and people would gravitate toward you.” In a general sense, the new Modern Warfare maps are more about these power positions, as well as “the ebb and flow between them, and digging into the negative space between them, and being [in] a realistic setting.”

The problem is that IW forgot to balance those power positions. On every map but Gun Runner, the move is to set up in the second story of a building, and park your rear end there. The counter positions to those power positions in the spawn areas are weak. The lighting setup in the beta meant that it was difficult to spot players in these power positions, particularly the 2-story on Azhir Cave. The enemy name tag was often the only indicator that someone was there. Even if you know someone is posted up in a power position, there are few gameplay counters. In CoD4 and MW2, you had wall penetration via Deep Impact/FMJ, and strong frag grenades to flush campers out. In MW, wall penetration is mediocre even with FMJ on an LMG. Grenades are of average strength.

The map design, lack of counters, and other elements (always-on Ghost, OP claymores) make it feel like you're being punished for moving around. I could play faster in ancient MWR, where everyone knew everything. I should wait a month before buying to see if IW fixes the lighting, connections, spawns, and other issues. But watch me buy this at launch because peer pressure and the potential of Ground War as a podcast game.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I agree with your point on bullet penetration, why is it so much weaker now? Sometimes I’d shoot a bullet through wood easily, other times I’d be unloading on someone behind a railing and not getting any penetration. I

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Adaptabullshit posted:

Let's talk about how schoolyard kids use "default" as an insult. "Default" as in looking like a game character that has no mtx-cosmetics on them.

Ok now describe “basic” for me in terms a scared boomer would understand

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It should be legal to hunt and kill gacha/lootbox whales and gambling addicts like how they made it legal to hunt drug dealers and junkies in the Philippines

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

Bumper Stickup posted:

NBA 2K20 is straight up basketball themed gambling.

https://youtu.be/46MQ1ZMZ-l4

I watched this whole thing thinking it was a parody of stupid loot box poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Godzilla07 posted:

The enemy name tag was often the only indicator that someone was there.

The lighting left me with more mixed feelings than anything else in the beta. On one hand it was pretty nice looking and it was fun to hide in the shadows, and also became less of an issue as I got to know the maps really well. On the other hand it's just loving frustrating getting killed by things you can't see and the cave level actually hurt my eyes at times. I really hope the final game has a suite of NV scopes I think that would make it more palatable. Like, I want a reflex or ACOG where I can flip a little night vision attachment on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I ended appreciating the contrast issues of the cave just because you could ultimately use it to your advantage. And holding down the center area with the elbow turn in the cave was fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Let’s just talk about loot boxes on a dead gay forum instead of having dialogue with our local politicians.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Godzilla07 posted:

These maps leave a lot to be desired. Instead of building 3-lane maps, Infinity Ward are on record saying they wanted to build maps around power positions, like many of the classic CoD4/MW2 maps:

The problem is that IW forgot to balance those power positions. On every map but Gun Runner, the move is to set up in the second story of a building, and park your rear end there. The counter positions to those power positions in the spawn areas are weak. The lighting setup in the beta meant that it was difficult to spot players in these power positions, particularly the 2-story on Azhir Cave. The enemy name tag was often the only indicator that someone was there. Even if you know someone is posted up in a power position, there are few gameplay counters. In CoD4 and MW2, you had wall penetration via Deep Impact/FMJ, and strong frag grenades to flush campers out. In MW, wall penetration is mediocre even with FMJ on an LMG. Grenades are of average strength.

The map design, lack of counters, and other elements (always-on Ghost, OP claymores) make it feel like you're being punished for moving around. I could play faster in ancient MWR, where everyone knew everything. I should wait a month before buying to see if IW fixes the lighting, connections, spawns, and other issues. But watch me buy this at launch because peer pressure and the potential of Ground War as a podcast game.

Yeah, I agree 100% in the map design. It was incredibly frustrating to have what felt like 100 dead angles to get shot from, and no matter where i looked, I'd always get shot from the other spots i didnt check. There was very few straight up gunfights for me.
But on the other hand, I seldom saw any players completely dominating the matches like in the previous Modern warfare. I guess the labyrinthine maps enables every dog to have his day so to speak.

Another thing that irked me with the beta is that the shotguns are back to being super unreliable again. After playing with shotguns in the battlefield games, the COD shotguns feel almost useless. I could have the entire upper body of a player within my crosshairs and still miss or have a glancing shot.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It worked for Belgium. Loot boxes have the same regulations as regular gambling now over here.
That means you can't buy it or be sold to when you're under 21 years old, the laws says so. So if you're a kiddie under 21, go play something else or let your boomer parents buy it for you while they give you their credit card info. (says Belgium)

Or just don't bother with the lives of other peoples and just enjoy the game. Let them become addicted if they can't handle it, why take this stuff so personal. It will balance itself out in the end, you'll see. It always does!

COD talk, I kinda liked the cave. It has some good places to set traps and ambushes. And the outside part looks really beautiful.
Overall, I really liked the maps I've seen so far. It's fun entering/exiting buildings so smoothly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

These are the best maps since MW2 easily.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

call of duty: brave exvius

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Edit: Nevermind, I'm going to start a GoFundMe to buy 1,000 lootboxes in the new Call of Duty

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 29, 2019

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I hate 3 lane design. Much prefer this.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Adaptabullshit posted:

Can we cancel the planet yet? Like, the whole thing? I don't like this timeline anymore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"The planet's dyin', Cloud,"

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

hey guys every so often i get shithoused on cheap beer and drop $20 on cod bitcoins, am i part of the problem

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

hey guys every so often i get shithoused on cheap beer and drop $20 on cod bitcoins, am i part of the problem

what if you spent that extra money on upgrading your beer, or buying even more of it...

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Nah, game companies don't care about your contribution as much as the whales. They spend hundreds to thousands of dollars a month on microtransactions. They're like crack addicts.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

why does activision care about your match.com conquests

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

why does activision care about your match.com conquests

Cause if they know you spend money on dates, you're not spending it gambling, so they don't have to bother giving a loving casual decent skins and guns.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

I'll will definitely buy lovely pistol varients should the need arise. :blastu:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Huh. The phone game gives you the Purifier at Level 3. This should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

it'll be interesting to see if Activision Blizzard's current China-related PR fuckup affects this game's release in two weeks

not only because gamers are not remotely good at following through on outrage, but also b/c I feel like they've kept the brands somewhat separate and most of the ire is aimed at Blizzard specifically at this point (otoh the PC launcher puts the Blizzard brand name pretty front-and-center, so...)