Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Matt Walker, a producer at Capcom, addressed some of the concern over Project Resistence.

https://twitter.com/retroOtoko/status/1172251508139864064?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It doesn't seem like the highest budget thing in the world, re-uses a lot of assets, and appears like they're not aiming for it to be a full price title. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some B-team's project while also testing the waters with the netcode of the engine for something more ambitious.

All while offering a neat looking gameplay experience, which we've barely seen in the commercial space outside of the (cancelled? shut down?) multiplayer Fable game, Dungeonland and the previously mentioned HL2 mod Zombie Master.

Definitely not worthy of so much scorn from folks in general, though I'm no fan of the damage numbers. Then again, I had mild hopes for Umbrella Corps and its mix of PvE and PvP, but we all know how that one turned out.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think just redoing outbreak type scenarios and pushing that game out would work today- the outbreak scenarios are pretty threadbare, mostly, so something to give that type of scenario some replayability would go a long way.

I'm interested in seeing how it works.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
As long as Capcom keep putting out titles like RE7, RE2R and Megaman 11 they can pull out as much spin-off garbage as they like.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Matt Walker, a producer at Capcom, addressed some of the concern over Project Resistence.

https://twitter.com/retroOtoko/status/1172251508139864064?s=19

I'm not sure how aping a passing trend aimed at streamers is offering something "new", but you do you, Capcom.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yeah not feeling it. If I want to play with 3 randoms against a big monster I can just play Iceborne.

In RE I wanna be alone and so very afraid

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

WaltherFeng posted:

:same:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah not feeling it. If I want to play with 3 randoms against a big monster I can just play Iceborne.

Or teamed up with someone like Chris Redfield and having an adventure through bombed out virus places punching monsters because that's how we roll.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I'm not fond of Project Resistance but since Capcom is personally doing it, at least it won't be the mistake Operation Raccoon City was.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lunethex posted:

I'm not fond of Project Resistance but since Capcom is personally doing it, at least it won't be the mistake Operation Raccoon City was.

its out sourced lol

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Convex posted:

As long as Capcom keep putting out titles like RE7, RE2R and Megaman 11 they can pull out as much spin-off garbage as they like.
:hmmyes:

WaltherFeng posted:

I can give or take the being alone bit but being afraid of whatever could be around that corner/behind the door is a necessity.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lunethex posted:

The same kind of mistake, maybe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

its out sourced lol

Yeah specifically it's being developed by a Taiwanese studio that opened in 2017 and all they've done so far are the recent wave of Capcom switch ports (onimusha, RE1/0 etc). Hell if you go to their website and click on their release history it just has a poem http://neobards.com/games/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Project Resistance is Trash CONFIRMED

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wanderer posted:

It's always basically been magic. Even back in the day, up to CV, how it spread, what it did, how long it took, and how it worked were all basically done on a case-by-case basis without any attempts at handwaving like "different strains" or "mutated versions."

I often like to think of the alternate universe where somebody like Bioware or Obsidian had ever made an RE game. There would be a 30-page graduate thesis in the game, available from your inventory screen, that went into explicit, loving detail about the T-Virus, and everything it did in that game would either be within those boundaries, or its violation thereof would be the primary focus of the game's plot. ("It's not supposed to be able to do that!")
An influenza infection can vary from basically just being tired with a sore throat, to dying while violently gushing out of both ends - I don't think we need an explanation for why a zombie virus doesn't present entirely uniform outcomes in all infected. It certainly doesn't make it magic just because the writers make it do poo poo on a case-by-case basis. (The actual magic part is the apparent ability to resurrect corpses, as seen in RE3 and CV, as well as the the portals it creates to the mass dimension.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In Training posted:

Yeah specifically it's being developed by a Taiwanese studio that opened in 2017 and all they've done so far are the recent wave of Capcom switch ports (onimusha, RE1/0 etc). Hell if you go to their website and click on their release history it just has a poem http://neobards.com/games/

this owns lmao

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Same same

RE games are best with the lights out, the sound cranked up, a joint and with no spoilers going in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man it could have been a good game but it’s just a cash grab.

Which isn’t branching out

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

before Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite came out, there was a lot of hype that Capcom wasn't outsourcing it and all of their fighting game veterans were coming back to make something awesome!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

In Training posted:

hahahaha

egg on my dumb face

I genuinely and instantly assumed it was Capcom doing it because up to this point because off the top of my head no other game in the franchise has ever had the graphical fidelity of a main entry, least of all the one that made RE2Make what it is (and we've already mentioned how it's all 100% RE2make assets and graphics etc).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah it's weird how the Capcom fighting game division seems to have shat the bed whereas everything else bar Dead Rising has gone back to basics and been amazing. I guess interest in fighting games has been pretty niche for a long time though, so there's not really a market for basic fighting games without loads of extra dumb costumes and stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

Yeah it's weird how the Capcom fighting game division seems to have shat the bed whereas everything else bar Dead Rising has gone back to basics and been amazing. I guess interest in fighting games has been pretty niche for a long time though, so there's not really a market for basic fighting games without loads of extra dumb costumes and stuff.

Mortal Kombat 11 sold like 10 million copies and was the first M rated game to top Nintendo hardware in like 10 years. Capcom just makes bad fighting games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MK11 is also a bad fighting game and does well bc of the costumes, so it seems irrelevant

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The only good fighting game is Dong Dong Never Die.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

The only good fighting game is Dong Dong Never Die.

Soul Calibur 2 is my favourite. 3 was also good although they never ported the updated arcade version to consoles :(

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tekken Tag Tournament :colbert:

Late edit:

"Don't touch my stuff."

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 14, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For all the ups and downs of the RE franchise, fighting games are even worse. Like 1/10 is good.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Non-trailer gameplay

It's bizarre. The total lack of music combined with the Mastermind constantly talking (plus his outrageous accent) makes for a really strange vibe.

e: gameplay looks sorta fun though!

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 15, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm actually really into that now...I assume like most games there will be UI options, so if you just turned off the garish numbers it really does look like 5 minute bursts of Outbreak levels. It just depends on how fun the maps are to actually play.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Non-trailer gameplay

It's bizarre. The total lack of music combined with the Mastermind constantly talking (plus his outrageous accent) makes for a really strange vibe.

e: gameplay looks sorta fun though!

I have to say that when they said Mastermind I wasn't expecting an outrrrrrrrageous French accent.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Umbrella HQ is in France, makes complete sense.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

6:49 in that video

gave me a tickle.

also lol that like/dislike ratio

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Umbrella HQ is in France, makes complete sense.

I'm still sad that we never got that location in a proper game. The intro to Code Veronica looks really cool and then bang, you're on a lovely island with the most irritating man in the world

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This looks baddddddd

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

In Training posted:

I'm actually really into that now...I assume like most games there will be UI options, so if you just turned off the garish numbers it really does look like 5 minute bursts of Outbreak levels. It just depends on how fun the maps are to actually play.

Same, take away the numbers, some good maps, and no awful progression system. The last point is what I'm most worried about.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In Training posted:

the RE1/0 ports apparently have insanely bad loading times, which seems like it shouldn't be possible so in some ways they have displayed an impressive technical expertise.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

rabidsquid posted:

the RE1/0 ports apparently have insanely bad loading times, which seems like it shouldn't be possible so in some ways they have displayed an impressive technical expertise.

I played through 1 on Switch recently and it wasn't insanely bad. It could be better but it loads when the transition animations finish. I believe it's just 0 that has the problems.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Why not just re-release Outbreak 1&2? Not a full remake, just the original games with the textures upscaled a bit, a voice chat option. Slap that on Steam that's easy money, it would sell like hot cakes for not masses of effort.

Plus it would preserve Outbreak.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

OldMemes posted:

Why not just re-release Outbreak 1&2? Not a full remake, just the original games with the textures upscaled a bit, a voice chat option. Slap that on Steam that's easy money, it would sell like hot cakes for not masses of effort.

Plus it would preserve Outbreak.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are behind-the-scenes technical issues on the Outbreak games that keep them from being ported. They were PS2 exclusives before there was a PlayStation Network, and even for the time of their release, their matchmaking and lobby software was bizarre.

This is, after all, Capcom, and at least the first Outbreak was a genuine hit at the time. The only reason they wouldn't have ported them by now is if they can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't know, CVX never got ported to PC and they already did all the legwork to get it running on MT Framework for the last-gen HD versions. Also they never rereleased RE1-3 or Dino Crisis 1-2 on Steam despite there already being PC versions that work fine with a bit of tweaking. Capcom's just a weird company.