Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I finally beat the game as Fl4k after first doing it as Zane, and man Zane really needs some love. The difference in power is night and day between the two in Mayhem. Like I could come up with weird gimmicks to make Zane just "ok", but I've tried both the Crit Fade and Rakk build for Fl4k and they both wipe the floor compared to anything you could do with Zane.

Also, question about Rakks: are they homing at all or do they just go in a straight line? I can't really get a feel for how they act for targeting. They seem kind of wonky.

Edit: Also do action skill duration buffs affect Rakks at all?

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Gravy Jones posted:

I thought that was funny and totally in character. I guess it's all subjective, which is one reason it's literally impossible for them to remove jokes that "don't land" because what doesn't land is going to be different for everyone. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the writing throughout, given how down on it a lot of people are and feel that maybe some expectations were a little high considering what type of game it is and what has come before.

It's not THAT subjective - I maybe just cited maybe not the best example of the writing being pretty clumsy. There's a lot of stuff like taking away player involvement in the story and the villains being pretty one-note that are pretty games writing workshop 101 critique stuff.

Anyway the story is blah but it's not enough to ruin what's an otherwise fantastic game. And in spite of the crummy writing a lot of character voice lines are quite great - especially for the player characters. People who aren't too hung up on the story not being what it could have been will probably enjoy the story too, bad jokes and all.

Just gotta cross fingers that they take the criticism seriously for editing and punching up the scriptwriting in the DLC and future expansions/sequels.

Also while the writing was pretty crummy the worldbuilding and characters introduced set up the potential for a writer's sandbox to create some really great stories using the new setting areas & that expanded cast. Sorta like what was accomplished in Tales. There's a lot of characters I found likeable that I want to get to know more in better written takes on them.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 29, 2019

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
After the Zane buff I finally feel like sntnl/duplicate is a stronger combo than sntnl/grenade.

The duplicate seems particularly strong with a few specific gun types. For some reason, it actually shoots shotguns as fast as it can (faster than the PC I think), vs AR/pistols. It dominates with conference call or hellwalker. Woodblocker is also great, so I basically switch between those depending on the Mayhem mods. Shotguns are the smoothest, I run around dropping shields with 9-volt then swap the clone onto them. Another fun thing for trash clearing is Berner - the clone gets your shield, even without the capstone, and spawning the clone counts as the shield hitting full charge. Unfortunately swapping doesn't seem to trigger it.

I still haven't found a good boss/anointed-melting build, though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hakarne posted:

I finally beat the game as Fl4k after first doing it as Zane, and man Zane really needs some love. The difference in power is night and day between the two in Mayhem. Like I could come up with weird gimmicks to make Zane just "ok", but I've tried both the Crit Fade and Rakk build for Fl4k and they both wipe the floor compared to anything you could do with Zane.

Also, question about Rakks: are they homing at all or do they just go in a straight line? I can't really get a feel for how they act for targeting. They seem kind of wonky.

zane does barely work but the only build I have found worthwhile is maxing out anything with speed for a constant dmg boost when you are moving. His dummy tree can make you invulnerable for a long time but you arent going to be killing anything so what is the point. The plus side for zane is that he can use most guns effectively and his skill that lets you freeze on crits can freeze frost immune enemies.

Its telling that his most popular build was just anything + pipe bomb and now its the same with Hex. He needs some buffs

fl4k is good but if you want to experience insane power try amara. None of the other characters can come close to the dps or survivability of her top several builds

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 29, 2019

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Fauxtool posted:

fl4k is good but if you want to experience insane power try amara. None of the other characters can come close to the dps or survivability of her top several builds
Uhhm.. shield/nade moze would like a word. And that's coming from someone with a 50 elemental main, brawl secondary amara fully kitted out with the best legendaries.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Don’t know about other freeze immune enemies, but brain freeze can’t freeze anointed (though critting them enough can trigger CCC)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Uhhm.. moze would like a word. And that's coming from someone with a 50 elemental main, brawl secondary amara fully kitted out with the best legendaries.

moze is great but is spikier in dps while having lower dmg mitigation. Her pure healing is a lot higher but also peaky. Moze also ruins multiplayer with her screen clutter, lag and aoe team damage.

A lot of people are stacking elemental damage weapons and skills on amara and thinking thats her best build. Melee dmg and chaining dots is way way more effective.
I run a build close to this but with better rolls on gear your dots can tick around 300k. If you wanna really minmax you can open up your skills midfight to swap elements and stack 2 more dots ending up doing around 500k a tick but that would be stupid since nothing in the game needs that much damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kiuHPJ5nMc

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 29, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

Don’t know about other freeze immune enemies, but brain freeze can’t freeze anointed (though critting them enough can trigger CCC)

maybe because they were originally mini bosses, but I meant stuff like frost skags. You can definitely freeze those.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Hemish posted:

The other one was annoying because it was annointed enemies teleporting and getting stuck inside things/walls/buildings or whatever and not being able to progress because they're usually mid bosses or straight up bosses so you have to kill them.

Had only one of those so far. It was just behind the wall so I could damage it with a rocket launcher

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
is there an editor available yet?

i would like to start a new character, but I want to do it with both mayhem and tvhm from level 1 (if that's even possible).

I really dislike getting low level gear, or having to fight weak rear end enemies because I overleveled doing side stuff. I like the enemy scaling.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tabletops posted:

is there an editor available yet?

i would like to start a new character, but I want to do it with both mayhem and tvhm from level 1 (if that's even possible).

I really dislike getting low level gear, or having to fight weak rear end enemies because I overleveled doing side stuff. I like the enemy scaling.

its not exactly what you want but there are save files with every character at lvl 50 and no quests done in tvhm

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
What's a good loadout for the current Gravewarden on mayhem3? It takes me like 2-3 minutes to kill him. I watched a video where a guy Lyuda's him down but I tried mine and it was really slow.

Traunt, however, dies in 30 seconds like a little bitch, with a bunch of different guns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

kickascii posted:

What's a good loadout for the current Gravewarden on mayhem3? It takes me like 2-3 minutes to kill him. I watched a video where a guy Lyuda's him down but I tried mine and it was really slow.

Traunt, however, dies in 30 seconds like a little bitch, with a bunch of different guns.

I Lyuda the weak spot, Hellwalker for the big weak orbs when it does the punch moves, and endless Hippity Hoppity grenades for when it goes down.

Hellwalker's potential DPS with a Moze build that gets 3+ shots/reload is pretty incredible I gotta say. I dunno how but I swear to god I once got like 7 shots without reloading.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 29, 2019

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
king/queens call on the weakspot-orbs when he punches is also a safe bet but very tiring on your fingers.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kickascii posted:

On my crit Fl4k he dies somewhere between his second and fourth attack, whatever they happen to be. I got really lucky with my Lyuda though and it's got the x2 on it so it's kinda unfair.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
god this goku amara build is hilarious if you can roll hte right stats for the items it needs.

im using it now and i'm barely even shooting my gun

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Thumbtacks posted:

god this goku amara build is hilarious if you can roll hte right stats for the items it needs.

How does it hold up in mayhem 3?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
All these Amara posts after I just started a FL4K playthrough...

I'm glad all of the Vault Hunters are interesting to play. My boy Zane just gets the short end of the stick but he's still an interesting character

Oh yeah FL4K is insane. I got to the same point as I did with Zane in half of the time it feels like.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 29, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Flak is a total powerhouse don’t worry. Fade out with a Jacobs shotgun is gorgeous and straightforward

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I'm tooling around with the Pet Fl4k mentioned earlier.
Takes a bit longer to kill enemies but you and your pet are more or less invulnerable.
Everything is a constant radioactive explosion. Forever.
I did find some incredible gear to support it but its a fun change in pace - pointing at things for your nuclear eridium skag to vortex while lobbing in radioactive hexes and an itchy flakker to mulch everything at once.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I decided to start Moze after getting a bit bored of trying to find a Hellwaker with Zane.

Demolition Woman looks extremely my jam. What's a good build for it?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
By far the best Moze build is a Demolition Woman / Shield of Retribution grenade build that uses a combination of a couple specific items to make you nigh invulnerable. It's a fantastic build and you get to spam grenades forever, but it's pretty gear reliant. There's a ton of youtube videos out there for it.

One heads up, Iron Bear is completely worthless past the mid 30s so don't go into the class hoping to use it a ton.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Solumin posted:

I decided to start Moze after getting a bit bored of trying to find a Hellwaker with Zane.

The blue demolotion woman tree is fine for leveling but not optimal until the capstone, imo. It really starts humming once you get to the 3rd tree and crit grenades, and you have a grenade that mirvs and has a lot of multiple hits (multiple crits to quickly refill grenades). While leveling your grenade probably wont get out a ton of crits like a legendary Hex or Stormfront will later.

What I did was go down the green tree, skip any ability that buffs your mech, iron bear or whatever it's called. When you finally get to the capstone(bottomless mags), switch to the blue demolition woman tree and get that capstone instead(short fuse, which is explosion procs on bullet hits)

For leveling up I like jakobs assault rifles, the single shot ones, use them to snipe at heads off the hip at long range (dont bother looking down the scope unless youre super long range). Keep elemental weapons of whatever type, sometimes they are better than the jakobs vs shields/armor.

kickascii fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 29, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does TVHM reset the bounty and hunts? Aka can you can get another Lyuda in the mail from Zer0?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Demo Moze seems to be rather lackluster against bosses like the Grave Warden or Tyreen though? I tried it and it seemed very slow - great for clearing normal baddies though.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Diving late into BL3, I got a question on the story and Vault Hunter Mode: After finishing the Mainquest, I can restart New Game plus which isTVHM? Can, or better: Do I have to play all stroy and side missions again there? So this is a restart?
I am asking because I will skip some side quests then in the first playthrough and do this in the THVM where the loot and grind to 50 works better anyway? Or am I am missing something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr.PayDay posted:

Diving late into BL3, I got a question on the story and Vault Hunter Mode: After finishing the Mainquest, I can restart New Game plus which isTVHM? Can, or better: Do I have to play all stroy and side missions again there? So this is a restart?
I am asking because I will skip some side quests then in the first playthrough and do this in the THVM where the loot and grind to 50 works better anyway? Or am I am missing something?

TVHM is just New Game+ yes, but you can switch between Normal and TVHM whenever you want without losing progress in either one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Solumin posted:

is there a particular reason why zane would want a hellwalker? in my experience, the clone sucks with it unless you're dealing with a bunch of melee range targets. fire only is also a problem in mayhem.

for some reason the game keeps throwing anointed hellwalkers at me, just threw away another one yesterday. (all had the same status effect chance +75% after action skill anointment)

ps. i hate the bullet reflection mayhem modifier

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 29, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Stalking the universe as a 7 foot non binary murder robot is surprisingly immersive.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

kickascii posted:

The blue demolotion woman tree is fine for leveling but not optimal until the capstone, imo. It really starts humming once you get to the 3rd tree and crit grenades, and you have a grenade that mirvs and has a lot of multiple hits (multiple crits to quickly refill grenades). While leveling your grenade probably wont get out a ton of crits like a legendary Hex or Stormfront will later.

What I did was go down the green tree, skip any ability that buffs your mech, iron bear or whatever it's called. When you finally get to the capstone(bottomless mags), switch to the blue demolition woman tree and get that capstone instead(short fuse, which is explosion procs on bullet hits)

For leveling up I like jakobs assault rifles, the single shot ones, use them to snipe at heads off the hip at long range (dont bother looking down the scope unless youre super long range). Keep elemental weapons of whatever type, sometimes they are better than the jakobs vs shields/armor.

I'm thinking about going hard in the splash damage, so lots of Torgue guns for me. Green + Blue will work for that, I think.

Rinkles posted:

is there a particular reason why zane would want a hellwalker? in my experience, the clone sucks with it unless you're dealing with a bunch of melee range targets. fire only is also a problem in mayhem.

for some reason the game keeps throwing anointed hellwalkers at me, just threw away another one yesterday. (all had the same status effect chance +75% after action skill anointment)

ps. i hate the bullet reflection mayhem modifier

Two reasons: I really like shotguns and this one makes awesome noises when you shoot it.

I restart the game whenever I get bad modifiers. I sometimes wish the modifiers were less random: give 1 modifier to me (e.g. +50% elemental damage/-50% normal damage, or +50% damage to some weapons/-50% to others) and 1 modifier to the enemies (more health or resistances or whatever). It's annoying to get multiple modifiers that just make enemies tougher, but it's also absurd when I get +50% elemental damage and +50% weapon damage modifiers at the same time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So called “””””” whistle blower “”””””

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Solumin posted:

I restart the game whenever I get bad modifiers. I sometimes wish the modifiers were less random: give 1 modifier to me (e.g. +50% elemental damage/-50% normal damage, or +50% damage to some weapons/-50% to others) and 1 modifier to the enemies (more health or resistances or whatever). It's annoying to get multiple modifiers that just make enemies tougher, but it's also absurd when I get +50% elemental damage and +50% weapon damage modifiers at the same time.

i think i just don't like mayhem, though making the rules simpler would help.

btw, if you didn't notice, the modifiers also change every time you move between maps.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Thumbtacks posted:

Loot expanding white elephant

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Rinkles posted:

is there a particular reason why zane would want a hellwalker?

It does give great consistency for duct tape mod since it only applies to the first shot per mag and Hellwalker is a new mag every shot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

great big cardboard tube posted:

It does give great consistency for duct tape mod since it only applies to the first shot per mag and Hellwalker is a new mag every shot.

clever, didn't think of that. (my hellwakers are 2 shots, because i like mag expansion relics)

i never use the skill, do we know if the nades hurt you?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So I finally got the "fall through the world forever" bug and had to log out.

then when I logged in, my bank was empty. :rip:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Ive been grinding in Mayhem 3 trying to get a Doomwalker, Graveward seems to never drop legendaries? Traunt reliably drops some. How are people getting the showers of legends I've seen?

I found a nice Vladof rifle with the alien barrel and Cryo, it fires a beam that increases power over time and supplies off from the target to others nearby. Want to find more like it, it's only a blue rated well below a lot of my other kit. Are alien barrels consistent across brands? I suppose the only other rifle maker with them is Torgue so theirs will probably be different.

I just started on Amara, super disappointed she can't set her skills to Cryo, I'm not sure Zane can make much of his mild affinity for it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

clever, didn't think of that. (my hellwakers are 2 shots, because i like mag expansion relics)

i never use the skill, do we know if the nades hurt you?

They do, build I saw paired shock nades with a shield that heals you from shock damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Skypie posted:

So I finally got the "fall through the world forever" bug and had to log out.

then when I logged in, my bank was empty. :rip:

Was it the one after Troy? It’s not actually forever though it’ll take like 5 minutes to hit the “bottom” if you don’t ground pound.

And I wonder if that is what triggers the bank bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, that final Clapslist mission is actually really sweet.