Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Finally we get to catch Missingno in Pokémon Go

This would own though. As long as it didn't corrupt your game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Friend pointed out its probably rotom. :|

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown on Shadow Pokemons?

Basically, from what I've read up on them, the Return charged attack is pretty mediocre, so I wonder if the 20% stardust and 10% candy discounts they get make up for having to unlock a second attack to get them up to snuff.

You can remove return(or frustration) for the low low cost of "a single charged TM"; once they lose return they go back to the normal move pool. I've been going for every Larvitar I can find from rocket stops in the hopes of them bringing Smackdown back this december.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hannibal Rex posted:

Basically, from what I've read up on them, the Return charged attack is pretty mediocre, so I wonder if the 20% stardust and 10% candy discounts they get make up for having to unlock a second attack to get them up to snuff.

As just posted, shadow larvitar is pretty rad if you get one with decent IV pre-purify, since it'll cost less to power up. I have a 794 96% I'm now grinding out the candies for a tyrannitar. Y'know, cause larvitar are so dang common and all.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Hannibal Rex posted:

They just look cool. They have no advantages or disadvantages fighting as your Pokemon. If anything, they are more of a negative because they cost twice the amount of stardust AND candy to power up (so think like up to 400,000 stardust and 400 some candy if you want to max one out). The majority of them are caught with really low level, so most of them will cost a fortune to power up purely just so they have the red eyes and dark flames. Evolving costs the normal amount of candies at least. The exclusive charge moves they get by default as a shadow Pokemon (Frustration) and after purifying (Return) are pretty garbage and would only get STAB on normal type Pokemon. You can easily TM these moves away. The game really pushes for you to purify them because not only would it remove the stardust/candy cost penalty, but it would raise them automatically to level 25 (plus getting that airy white aura around them).

That said, it's up to you how you spend your stardust. A lot of people just stop after evolving a shadow Pokemon because that's all you really need to show one off at a gym. It hardly matters for its CP unless you're gonna use it in raids or you play PvP a lot locally. Powering a shadow Pokemon for a serious gym defense isn't worth it because nothing is hard to take down in gyms ever.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you don't have a full team of Tyranitars for raiding, evil Larvitars aren't a bad way to get there, but they don't help much with the candy situation. Or I guess Dratinis if you want TEAM DRAGONITE.

How's Snorlax with Return, usual caveats about Normal-type damage aside?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Return is still considered the worst charge move for Snorlax. The only advantage it has is as a gym defender where it fires faster and is harder to dodge.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Prop Wash posted:

If you don't have a full team of Tyranitars for raiding, evil Larvitars aren't a bad way to get there, but they don't help much with the candy situation. Or I guess Dratinis if you want TEAM DRAGONITE.

If you don't have a team full of (Bite/Crunch) Tyranitar for raiding then you should be doing Tyranitar raids anyways. The main draws of shadow Larvitar are
- Guaranteed level 25 post-purify, the same level as a weather boosted normal raid
- The purification IV boost effectively means you have a higher chance of getting something good since any shadow 8/8/8 or higher translates to "pretty drat good post-purify"
but the most critical point
- If they do Community Day Replay again, the only way to get Smackdown would be to evolve a Pupitar-- you can't get CD moves using TMs on already-evolved pokemon.

(Shadow Dratini do deserve their own shout-out as well, higher candy costs to evolve than just catching a Dragonite in the wild, but they come pre-weather-boosted which may not be super common depending on your area)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 30, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Willsun posted:

They just look cool. They have no advantages or disadvantages fighting as your Pokemon. If anything, they are more of a negative because they cost twice the amount of stardust AND candy to power up (so think like up to 400,000 stardust and 400 some candy if you want to max one out). The majority of them are caught with really low level, so most of them will cost a fortune to power up purely just so they have the red eyes and dark flames. Evolving costs the normal amount of candies at least. The exclusive charge moves they get by default as a shadow Pokemon (Frustration) and after purifying (Return) are pretty garbage and would only get STAB on normal type Pokemon. You can easily TM these moves away. The game really pushes for you to purify them because not only would it remove the stardust/candy cost penalty, but it would raise them automatically to level 25 (plus getting that airy white aura around them).

Yeah, maybe my question wasn't well put - I'm mainly interested, if purified pokemon have an advantage over regular ones, or if the cost of getting them a good charged move, whether by unlocking a second one, or by using a TM, is higher than the benefit of the discounts they get.

I haven't been playing long, so I can't gauge how easy or hard TMs are to get.

One other thing I've read is that evolving purified mons on Community Day seems to get rid of Return for free. Does the CD charged move stay on the mon if you evolve it a second time? Or do you only get it on the last evolution?

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't been playing long, so I can't gauge
One other thing I've read is that evolving purified mons on Community Day seems to get rid of Return for free. Does the CD charged move stay on the mon if you evolve it a second time? Or do you only get it on the last evolution?

You only get CD charge move on the last evolution

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007
I have an 'add one friend' task, so here's my number again. In Australia, if that's relevant.

edit: Got one. Feel free to send more though, I guess. Friend list limit is 100, right?

The Sezza fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 30, 2019

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The max distance is probably just over 20,000 so that's pretty neat.

Yeah, New Zealand <--> Spain and Chile/Argentina <--> China/Mongolia/Siberia are one of the few places on Earth where there is actually solid ground on opposite sides of the globe. Okay and Greenland/Antarctica

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hannibal Rex posted:

Yeah, maybe my question wasn't well put - I'm mainly interested, if purified pokemon have an advantage over regular ones, or if the cost of getting them a good charged move, whether by unlocking a second one, or by using a TM, is higher than the benefit of the discounts they get.

I haven't been playing long, so I can't gauge how easy or hard TMs are to get.

With the exception of community day (which is the exception rather than the rule), you'll likely need to blow charged TMs on an evolved pokemon to get them to the right moveset anyways. Charged TMs have a decently-high drop rate from Tier 5 raids, with the caveat that "the drop rate is effectively tied to the number of balls you get"-- it's a little complicated but the upshot is if you T5 raid at a gym your team owns, with mostly people from your team, with proper counters to deal a useful amount of damage, you'll be getting a charged TM every 2.3 raids on average. Additionally, if you keep your eyes peeled, Niantic will occasionally have event research that rewards TMs as well.

The extreme TL;DR is there's no reason to necessarily use a purified over a normal pokemon, it's just a slightly different route with slightly different costs (and for some pokemon, getting a specific shadow pokemon is far easier than hunting down an extremely rare spawn; and on top of that, you're far more frequently going to see those pokemon below level 25 than above, which adds to the candy/dust cost). Getting a purified shadow pokemon to level 40, 3rd tier evolution, optimal moveset costs 174,600 stardust, 332 candy, and 1 or more charged TMs; getting a standard level 25 pokemon to the same location costs 194,000 dust, 345 candy, and 0 or more charged TMs. Whether that's worth it to you would primarily depend on what you have in your inventory.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 30, 2019

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

The Sezza posted:

I have an 'add one friend' task, so here's my number again. In Australia, if that's relevant.

edit: Got one. Feel free to send more though, I guess. Friend list limit is 100, right?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Today I had at least 7 Pokemon flee from me, several of them after 5+ Pokeballs had been wasted. Like just automatically take out half my Pokeballs and don't bother with the Pokemon spawning if you're gonna pull that poo poo game

Also I hatched 3 gifted eggs in a row. All of them Alolan Grimer :negative: I am good on Grimers game, my cup runneth over with Grimers

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Whats the level to suggest a goddamn stop again

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Level 40, but stop submissions are unavailable at the moment (at least in Germany). I think it was something about a bug.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So since IVs are apparently not nearly as important in GO (I'm not sure if the stars relate to the IVs or if they are also a seperate thing) and combat power generally seems to be more important, between these two it'd probably better to go with the non-3 star one? I think someone here mentioned it was really only edge cases where a player would want the IVs over the CP:

I know this stuff isn't that big of a deal in PoGo but I like having buff bois

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Friend pointed out its probably rotom. :|

Your friend is probably right :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If they change the UI to Rotom-Dex I am uninstalling the game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If they change the UI to Rotom-Dex I am uninstalling the game.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So since IVs are apparently not nearly as important in GO (I'm not sure if the stars relate to the IVs or if they are also a seperate thing) and combat power generally seems to be more important, between these two it'd probably better to go with the non-3 star one? I think someone here mentioned it was really only edge cases where a player would want the IVs over the CP:

I know this stuff isn't that big of a deal in PoGo but I like having buff bois

Amoonguss is largely a dex filler, so either one would really work. Very bulk focused, and no STAB fast move. Roserade will be a better Grass and Poison attacker than it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Yeah, New Zealand <--> Spain and Chile/Argentina <--> China/Mongolia/Siberia are one of the few places on Earth where there is actually solid ground on opposite sides of the globe. Okay and Greenland/Antarctica

Also here is a tool to help you find out what is more than 10000km away from you. https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kantesu posted:

Amoonguss is largely a dex filler, so either one would really work. Very bulk focused, and no STAB fast move. Roserade will be a better Grass and Poison attacker than it.

Amoongus is decent in Great League though, if PvP is your thing.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
It's fairly niche in Great League. Stats are great, moves are less so (particularly its fast move options). It'll be great in the right cup format, though.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

The Sezza posted:

Sent another one to you since I just got add another add a friend.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Kantesu posted:

Oh I just grabbed him since he was what I was looking at, I wasn't asking for him specifically just this kind of IV vs CP situation

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
here's the thing, while IVs don't matter that much in actual math terms, around here almost universal player perception is "15 attack or trash" so IVs do matter to our dumb brains

the other way to look at it is IVs don't change but you can always level something up. I tend to filter by IV so I can toss most of what I catch easily (if it's low IV it goes) and I don't worry about it too much beyond that.

e: in your specific example the first foongas has 69 hp so I'd keep it for that alone :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well one is around 40IV, the other is around 80IV, with how stats work in this game, if you max them both out, the higher one will perform 4% better overall.

So yeah, if you're short on stardust, always power up the higher level one, but you'll never tell the difference.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

The Sezza posted:

I just sent you one too! I need a friend and also an egg/hatch from australia

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
The latest tweets from the pogo account make it sound like there will be team rocket go leaders or something.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1178700733719277568?s=20

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

slave to my cravings posted:

The latest tweets from the pogo account make it sound like there will be team rocket go leaders or something.

https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/1178700733719277568?s=20

that bottom one is huey from mgs

"i didn't want to create mewtwo!! team rocket made me"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Meltan Gear???

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Wow, apparently the Go-tcha scooped up my first Deino on the way to work. Taking a walk with my emo dragon buddy now! :3:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've been running low on potions and revives, so I had to adapt my tactics.

If sending waves of freshly caught cannon fodder into gyms to clear them out, and then selling their remains to the Professor's meat packing plant is the wrong way to play the game, I don't want to be right.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DizzyBum posted:

Wow, apparently the Go-tcha scooped up my first Deino on the way to work. Taking a walk with my emo dragon buddy now! :3:

pretty hosed up that they put deino in the game before gible

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Unrelated to any updates or fancy new pokemons:

I was equal parts :toot: and :aaaaa: when I caught it

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

pretty hosed up that they put deino in the game before gible

what?

I've already caught a gible and it's evolution in the wild

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Nah mate, it only exists in the game as a buddy for other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Drove through my usual superspawn parking lot where average was 20 mon in a half mile. It was about 4 today. Go go Niantic.