Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
There might be a few kinks to work out in my bouncing acid-trail wand still :v:

Certain gods where not happy getting their holy temple drenched in acid apparently...

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
That jerk blamed me when a worm from the previous level bit into the holy room

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

bandaid.friend posted:

That jerk blamed me when a worm from the previous level bit into the holy room

This is, without a doubt, my least favorite part of the game. If a worm exists somewhere, it is a certainty that it will eventually enter a Holy Mountain and probably kill your run unless you can manage to find it and kill it.

My second least favorite part of the game is how enemies will cluster around the exit from a Holy Mountain. In the later parts of the game it feels like you're guaranteed to take a bunch of hits just getting out.

I really want to like this game, but it's very frustrating sometimes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I will say that if you have a chainsaw those guys that appear when you anger the gods are no longer scary and just become a free source of a million gold . Just jump inside of their shield and you can take them out in a few seconds pretty easy

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

As soon as you find any kind of flask you can drain it, then fill it with water(or pheremones, berserkium, whatever) and then whenever you step in a bit of sludge you can just right click spray yourself clean with water

FYI pheremones are at least mildly flammable so you probably don't want to use that, in case you have to douse yourself

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/bJm1pg9.gifv

:saddowns:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

"always carry a water flask" is probably the most useful advice for this game

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I don't usually like playing Early Access games because I milk the fun from them before they release and never play them again but I'm quite happy I was convinced to make an exception for this. It's absolutely fascinating to play and explore and I love the spellcrafting already despite only having made one thing. It's like Magika's concept was recognised in the form of an actually good game

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

This game is way too feast or famine. 5 runs this morning and not a single decent attack wand on any of the floors I got to, I'm generally full clearing areas too. So I was pretty much hosed by the time I got to the Ice Caves. Not a single chainsaw or decent digging tool either. Shops have been awful.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

doublepost bc I don't think I've laughed harder playing this game than when i got this dumb loving wand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xemzyI5tUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPRO2SApO8

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

2 more almost promising runs that could not compete with the Ice Caves due to a lack of any decent weapon options. Went out of my way to grab 4 orbs during one of them too, it just didn't matter in the end.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Help I am addicted to building rapidfire-shotgun-bouncing projectiles with trails! It hurts both me, the enemies and my CPU in equal measure!

Flooded entire sections of the ice caves with poison, died horribly a few minutes later. :v:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BaconCopter posted:

This game is way too feast or famine. 5 runs this morning and not a single decent attack wand on any of the floors I got to, I'm generally full clearing areas too. So I was pretty much hosed by the time I got to the Ice Caves. Not a single chainsaw or decent digging tool either. Shops have been awful.

yeah I came here to complain that I just played like 10 games and never once found a flask (whaaa??) or any spells whatsoever that can dig.

imho this game would be 100x better if you started the game with a chainsaw and a water flask. Being able to dig freely simply makes the game way more fun

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 29, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
tentacle spell is powerful a f, always get it

also i dropped down into the ice caves that run to have two groups of jetpack dudes on either side of the cloud and a worm immediately came up to make me fall through the floor

yea sure guess i'm dead

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Polo-Rican posted:

yeah I came here to complain that I just played like 10 games and never once found a flask (whaaa??) or any spells whatsoever that can dig.

imho this game would be 100x better if you started the game with a chainsaw and a water flask. Being able to dig freely simply makes the game way more fun

I agree with regards to the water flask, at least. The first few minutes before you find any kind of flasks are really annoying, since any small pixel of fire, or sludge might potentially bring you down to an unsafe amount of health. The chainsaw would be a bit OP, since you could always get every gold nugget in the walls.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Had a promising run end on the 4th floor by polymorphing into a firefly then flying into some water and dying instantly. Not sure if Im more annoyed or impressed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

tentacle spell is powerful a f, always get it

also i dropped down into the ice caves that run to have two groups of jetpack dudes on either side of the cloud and a worm immediately came up to make me fall through the floor

yea sure guess i'm dead

It can steal from Holy Mountain too (only spell components though not wands). Circle of Levitation also works or whatever it's called

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

a self-imposed viking funeral....

edit: one a few tips. The bomb wand you start out with has a super low recast delay/recharge time. What I've been doing is putting attacks I want to spam on it and just use the default 1st wand if I need to spam. Made a really far run with it because I found sawblades to start which do 20 damage.

What is EVEN BETTER is putting Dig spell(s) on it. You can just fly down through the dungeons to make a bee-line for the gate or use it to make an escape from a tough situation.

One thing to remember when digging is recreate S-traps if acid/lava/whatever is flowing down. Same purpose as real S-traps is the bend traps the foul liquid while you have a clear tunnel.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 29, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

cant cook creole bream posted:

I agree with regards to the water flask, at least. The first few minutes before you find any kind of flasks are really annoying, since any small pixel of fire, or sludge might potentially bring you down to an unsafe amount of health. The chainsaw would be a bit OP, since you could always get every gold nugget in the walls.

If they started the player with a chainsaw they'd just have to cut down on gold veins. Still worth it IMHO. The physics system is what makes this game special and without the ability to freely dig you can't really play with the environment.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

If they started the player with a chainsaw they'd just have to cut down on gold veins. Still worth it IMHO. The physics system is what makes this game special and without the ability to freely dig you can't really play with the environment.

give the player a chainsaw before the ice caves soyou can drop icicles on the hiisi every time

its the most satisfying thing oh my god the way it just cracks them in one tap

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Just give the player some way to destroy the environment in the beginning that isn't the bomb. The fact that the basic projectile spells can't deal damage to the environment hurts a ton, especially when you cannot do anything to a wood wall 3 pixels thick.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
That's my second run where I've gotten an incredible lightning based wand and been one-shotting everything left and right then jumped into some water to put out a fire/clear some sludge and immediately electrocuted myself to death. :(

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Shyrka posted:

That's my second run where I've gotten an incredible lightning based wand and been one-shotting everything left and right then jumped into some water to put out a fire/clear some sludge and immediately electrocuted myself to death. :(

I feel your pain, yesterday I had cleared the upper pyramid and jumped into the sludge to grab the wands without even thinking about it. :saddowns:

Just had one of my best runs, got to the Temple of the Art but there was maybe 30 enemies waiting for me at the bottom of the Mountain exit. Even though I had 300 HP it melted in seconds.
Shoutouts to chainsaw, not only for it's digging, but for it's ability to turn fast wands into completely insane machine guns with double cast.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
imo you shouldn't start with a water flask, you should start with an empty flask. both because it'd be more interesting to find something to fill it with, and also because it would tutorialize filling flasks to new players(I have an empty flask, what should I do with that?)

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Shyrka posted:

I just killed myself by finding a metal floor with a thunderstone and some toxic sludge on it, almost died picking it up and got sludge all over me so I flew over to a pond of more toxic sludge and dilluted it with water from a bottle.

Literally on the way to the portal a screen away I spot another pond of water and thinks "Huh I should refill my water!" Dives in and scrolls through my list of items to select the water bottle....That is after the thunderstone in the list :v:

Edit: Just killed myself again in literally the exact same way, never picking those upp again, not because they might not be useful but because clearly I am not a responsible adult capable of carrying them :negative:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 30, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

imo you shouldn't start with a water flask, you should start with an empty flask. both because it'd be more interesting to find something to fill it with, and also because it would tutorialize filling flasks to new players(I have an empty flask, what should I do with that?)

That's a great idea. Hope Hempuli is reading this

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

arghhhh I was having my best run yet... hit the shop, picked Extra Life as a perk, and then opened the inventory to check something out. The ceiling above the perks collapsed on me and despite having just picked up the +1 life, I get an instant game over. My guess would be that the game respawned me in the rubble, causing me to lose both lives instantaneously?

IronicDongz posted:

quoting this again in case a dev reads this thread!!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

IronicDongz posted:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

(Points made in the thread duly noted!)

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I need to stop putting trails on my wands when I have the ice field perk, I keep getting caught in pixels.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I finally have a build with wands anywhere and vampirism. Time to scum the hell out of the entire world.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Hempuli posted:

(Points made in the thread duly noted!)

Hey Hempuli! :glomp: Awesome game. With Baba Is You and Noita, you're on a pretty solid streak. What other stuff are you working on?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im confused as to when falling objects will hurt me or not. is it just earthquake that makes that happen or is there other cases?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the player should start every game with a nuke, circle of acid, death cross, or other incredibly lethal spell in order to teach the player not to use everything they pick up without setting it up with an appropriate spell combo first

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

violent sex idiot posted:

im confused as to when falling objects will hurt me or not. is it just earthquake that makes that happen or is there other cases?
There's a lot of cases where this can happen. Falling rocks after getting a perk, falling ice from shooting ice structures... I've been killed by a random bit of debris that got flung out of a giga black hole. Safe to assume most physics objects can kill you if they hit you hard enough.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

There's a lot of cases where this can happen. Falling rocks after getting a perk, falling ice from shooting ice structures... I've been killed by a random bit of debris that got flung out of a giga black hole. Safe to assume most physics objects can kill you if they hit you hard enough.

I don't think ice does it, i've intentionally tried and couldn't get it to hurt me. Same with the stalactites in the first room of the cavern. It seems to be only a specific material called "broken concrete" (or something close to that?) and the material is only spawned, as far as I can tell, by nukes and by the Holy Mountain collapse after you pick a perk up

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

goferchan posted:

I don't think ice does it, i've intentionally tried and couldn't get it to hurt me. Same with the stalactites in the first room of the cavern. It seems to be only a specific material called "broken concrete" (or something close to that?) and the material is only spawned, as far as I can tell, by nukes and by the Holy Mountain collapse after you pick a perk up

i died to "physics" damage after using earthquake and having the top of the level right out of the pipe fall on me so maybe its related to the temple bricks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
counterpoint:

https://i.imgur.com/GWn3QG6.mp4

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I can see why they would burn witches. they are highly flammable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/OxZb64g.mp4