Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

John F Bennett posted:

Did anyone see the The Changeling? Another movie about a haunting and it's really good.

Very suspenseful horror and George C. Scott's performance is just great.

I watched it as a kid and spent the whole movie waiting for the faeries to show up. Very disappointing. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Gaunab posted:

The ----bear---- scene was one of the scariest scenes.

Yup! It really rattled me, and did nothing for my kids or wife. They thought I was a wuss.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't really like that movie. I'm with your wife and kids.

Like, not in a weird way.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Inzombiac posted:

I recall Prince of Darkness being pretty good for the time. Really, really weird ending.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iY-QBvy3lR8

This scene creeped me out when I saw it as a kid. And the one infected scientist that kept laughing and crying.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQhp6pQNDvs

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
IMO the prequel to The Thing (same exact title) is underrated. It's not as much of a masterpiece but you can tell they worked hard on it.

As for less mega-classic creepy/horror movies I can recommend:
It Follows
Under the Skin
The VVitch
Annihilation
The Mist
Cube
Mama

Interesting stories from my childhood:
-When I was a kid I would go to the video store (not blockbuster) all the time. I would have all these movies I wanted to see mainly because of the VHS box art and plot synopsis on the back. One of the biggest ones I wanted to see was Alien because of the egg on the front. Finally I bargained with my mom into letting me see it in exchange for some big chore or something and when I did it scared me so much I watched pretty much the entire thing muted, sometimes turning up the volume very low just so I could hear the dialogue and follow the plot. That's when I learned that the number one contributor to making a traditional feature film scary is the sound.
-The only two movies I've ever not been able to finish because of how scared I got were The Blair Witch Project (I hate found footage movies now but the first time it's novel) and What Lies Beneath. I was a kid at the time but I remember them because I watched plenty of other movies that I was able to finish so those two stick out in my mind.
-Someone alluded to it in a previous post but for my generation the internet arrived when we were kids and unfolded during our teenage/young adult years, so to know about something you had to have had either firsthand experience, have been taught about it in school, or read about it in a book. I think technically I may have seen Scream first, but for some reason the first movie that I think it really dawned on me that serial killers actually exist was from watching Silence of the Lambs so even though it's billed as a thriller it's pretty scary
-I have never been truly comfortable in any amount of water larger than a hot tub. I've watched a ton of movies that have contributed to this but Jaws probably started it all and was the best. Even when I'm in a pool sometimes the thought occurs that an invisible shark could be teleported there and eat me. I'm an adult now so I will go swimming and I'll even have fun but deep down in the background of my mind the fear is always there.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Amarcarts posted:

-I have never been truly comfortable in any amount of water larger than a hot tub. I've watched a ton of movies that have contributed to this but Jaws probably started it all and was the best. Even when I'm in a pool sometimes the thought occurs that an invisible shark could be teleported there and eat me. I'm an adult now so I will go swimming and I'll even have fun but deep down in the background of my mind the fear is always there.

My ex supposedly had a similar fear; it was enough for her to be paralyzed from going for a dip in the ocean in Mexico... something about sharks being able to smell the period blood from very far away. Interesting whether pop-culture induced fears can be retained from childhood and carried onward to adulthood to be credited as a genuine source of anxieties.

I would say watch Cloverfield (one not two because the 2nd is made by dogs and shrieking 13-year-old with Xbox headsets) though not for its spooky CGI aliens, but for its novelty and cinematic accomplishments akin to the Blair Witch Project... but with grandiose aliens.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I will second The Thing prequel.
Yeah, all the puppets got replaced with CG because some dumbfuck executive wanted it to look like a video game.

However, the set design is practically flawless in recreating the Swedish base from the first movie.

The alien is more brazen and agressive, which some people hated, but I like to think it was figuring out humanity and by the time it (barely) escaped to the American outpost, it realized it needed to be a little more patient.

Edit: one think I will say is that if you pay close enough attention, it does confirm a huge part of the end of the first movie:

We find that in the prequel, the thing cannot replicate inorganic material. Teeth fillings are the test to see if someone has been replaced. An imperfect test but the best they could manage without any other info.
At the very end of the original movie, you can see that Jules is wearing earrings. MAYBE he got replaced and put in the earrings but we see no evidence of it exhibiting that behavior beforehand.

YMMV if that makes the movie better for you. Personally I don't like it and suspect the prequel producers didn't notice that detail.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 29, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

They're not Swedish Inzombiac, they're Norwegian :colbert:

The screen test of the actual practical effects are pretty dope, but that movie was just bad.

The whole movie just went over like a wet fart to me. One thing I particularly hated was that it had like, a 'fast zombie' thing going on compared to the original.

They also didn't do enough with the language barrier and distrust/paranoia, and some of the scenes to get the Norwegian camp to line up with what Mac and Copper found in the original was kinda hamfisted.

Ooh, a spooky axe lodged in a door. What happened, I wonder? Did they turn on each other?!
Oh, nah, Joel Edgerton picked it up for a half second and swung it at a tentacle.

To be fair, The Thing is my favorite movie of all time, so I wholly admit I'm likely biased.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 29, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's a shame they got rid of the practical effects. I'm sure they would have been good - the autopsy scene looked great - but we weren't deprived of a hidden masterpiece; at best we'd have a mediocre movie with cool effects.

There were no memorable characters or scenes and nothing like the tension and paranoia of the first. The Thing lacked the animal cunning that made it scary before. Now it's just a big dumb monster.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Charlie brooker's dead set?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The 1989 miniseries The Woman in Black is spooky as hell and you can watch the whole (probably I haven't gotten through the whole playlist yet) thing for free on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpl9pVHh8LA

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I didn't really like that movie. I'm with your wife and kids.

Like, not in a weird way.

They liked it a lot. They just didn't think it was scary. That damned scene gave me nightmares though.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

this un named movie is still watchable on youtube right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTBuWJE0a8

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Dregs posted:

My kids and I marathoned The Haunting of Hill House yesterday and they ended up sleeping on the floor in the living room under a pile of blankets, and begged me to stay on the couch with them.

They're 17 and 15.

I loved The Haunting of Hill House and highly recommend it to everyone. I watch almost no tv and generally dont have the patience, but this gripped me. More than a horror it is a great family drama. But as to the spooky side, it really delivers a thorough haunted house tale (plus often uses its supernatural stuff as metaphor for mental illness and emotional turmoil).

happyhippy posted:

Room 1408
There are two endings, one lovely, one wtf.

Room 1408 is good fun. I like it for just how much of a mean spirited hater the room is. Most ghostly supernatural movies have the thing act without obvious emotion, or like a simple predatory animal that just attacks and kills you. But Room 1408 is a total rear end in a top hat.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

zenguitarman posted:

Can somebody help me, I've been thinking about what this movie was like, forever ago when I was a kid and I dont know what it is, but it creeped me out when I was little...

I want to say it was house on haunted hill (original) but I'm not so sure, it might have been in black and white, but there were a bunch of people and I think various supernatural spooky things happening. There was a banshee I think, but one scene in particular I remember was some ghosts coming to take away some lady and (I think) her husband runs up to them and is like "no take me take me instead!" And the ghosts whisk him away into the skies and he's just gone. That freaked me the gently caress out. Can't remember the rest of it though...

I think you may be thinking of High Spirits:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095304/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's kinda how you described it. Dude (Peter O'Toole) is trying to save his hotel and comes up with the idea that the place is haunted. He invites over a bunch of Americans and then it turns out the place is actually haunted.

More of a family spooky film.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Moon Atari posted:

Room 1408 is good fun. I like it for just how much of a mean spirited hater the room is. Most ghostly supernatural movies have the thing act without obvious emotion, or like a simple predatory animal that just attacks and kills you. But Room 1408 is a total rear end in a top hat.

"Gerald Olin: It's an evil loving room."

I loved that movie. I think I saw it in the theater. I didn't know it was a Stephen King story but coincidentally I owned it and read it a few years ago. It's really short and everything escalates pretty quickly.

Also yeah. There is one lovely ending and one good one. I can't remember which one it is for sure but I'm pretty sure the theatrical version has the good one.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

CharminUltraStrong posted:

I would say watch Cloverfield (one not two because the 2nd is made by dogs and shrieking 13-year-old with Xbox headsets) though not for its spooky CGI aliens, but for its novelty and cinematic accomplishments akin to the Blair Witch Project... but with grandiose aliens.

i know some people hate on the camera operator's chatter, but goddamn i love that movie; it nails the scale of the event better than any kaiju movie i've seen

finally watched A Quiet Place last night because of this thread and enjoyed it, and i appreciate that there's pretty much no context or explanation to pick apart and ruin the movie. on a semi-related note, i don't think anyone has mentioned Hush, which is an interesting take on what's an otherwise pretty straightforward slasher flick (the protagonist is a deaf mute).

a couple others that i don't think have come up are Near Dark, a gritty, western-ish vampire movie with Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen and directed by Kathryn Bigelow; Fright Night, another vampire movie with the classic "poo poo is going down next door and nobody believes me" setup with good acting, great effects, and even some decent humor; Peter Jackson's ridiculous zombie splatterfest Dead Alive (or Braindead depending on where you live); Versus is another ridiculous zombie movie, but in that Japanese way of being hella stylized, super dramatic, and hyper violent; and Rare Exports, a fun Finnish movie about the true nature of Santa Claus (hint: it ain't nice)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

funkybottoms posted:

a couple others that i don't think have come up are Near Dark, a gritty, western-ish vampire movie with Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen and directed by Kathryn Bigelow

Sign me up.

I just looked it up and Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) is in it. It's an Aliens reunion.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Near Dark is a really good vampire movie, and you'll never forget the bar scene.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

I will second The Thing prequel.
Yeah, all the puppets got replaced with CG because some dumbfuck executive wanted it to look like a video game.

However, the set design is practically flawless in recreating the Swedish base from the first movie.

My last roommate was one of the set carpenters and I was living with him when the movie came out. He was exceedingly proud of the building work on that shoot and it was so exciting to go see it in the theatre. I love seeing compliments on it in the wild, so thank you!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sign me up.

I just looked it up and Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) is in it. It's an Aliens reunion.

She also plays John's foster Mom in Terminator 2. Can't go wrong with her.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
American History X-2

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

She also plays John's foster Mom in Terminator 2. Can't go wrong with her.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Inzombiac posted:

Edit: one think I will say is that if you pay close enough attention, it does confirm a huge part of the end of the first movie:

We find that in the prequel, the thing cannot replicate inorganic material. Teeth fillings are the test to see if someone has been replaced. An imperfect test but the best they could manage without any other info.
At the very end of the original movie, you can see that Jules is wearing earrings. MAYBE he got replaced and put in the earrings but we see no evidence of it exhibiting that behavior beforehand.

YMMV if that makes the movie better for you. Personally I don't like it and suspect the prequel producers didn't notice that detail.

Yeah but they ruin it by dubbing in an alien scream when she toasts him, confirming he was taken over.

Telebite posted:

There is a relatively low budget found footage movie on Amazon Prime (there are a lot of them) called Descent Into Darkness and it's one of the types of films you describe. I almost turned it off because it has a REALLY "just another dumb low budget found footage film" vibe to it, and the main character seems completely silly and harmless. If you stick with it, you get the "pulled in" effect and after the ending you'll be pretty disturbed and thinking about it for days.

I'll definitely check this out! Cheers.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I never got how the end of The Thing was supposed to be ambiguous

if either of them was the thing, why wouldn't it just take over the other guy?

every time I bring this up people use it as a jumping off point to discuss their theories about this mystery (a mystery that does not exist (because neither of them was the thing (because if one of them was the thing it would just eat the other guy (or whatever the thing does (I don't remember))))) but I am pretty sure this is the correct conclusion and that I am the best at understanding movies, thank you and god bless

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
Oculus is a TERRIBLE movie the whole premise is that these two characters understand and know that there's an evil cursed mirror that makes you hallucinate things that aren't real. they KNOW it does this and then they go in the house with the evil cursed mirror and they proceed to believe every hallucination they are having is totally real.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I liked that the oculus kids had a plan but I feel like the screenwriter/s were not very clever about how the mirror subverts their plan. there wasn't a lot of, you thought this was what's going on but it's really this other thing! they just keep loving up
but I only watched it once and I wasn't in a very good mood that day so idk

also yes 1408 is good and yes it's the theatrical ending that's the good one

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cubone posted:

I liked that the oculus kids had a plan but I feel like the screenwriter/s were not very clever about how the mirror subverts their plan.

well they had a plan but that plan only works if you're not dealing with a reality subverting mirror which they knew they were dealing with!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It kinda made sense to me, the stuff that was happening might have been real or not. That was the suspense of it.

Oculus is a perfect movie, I tell you!

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Drunken Baker posted:

For a real scare turn your monitor... to whatever program you use to watch films and watch The Borderlands sometimes known as "Final Prayer". The Vatican send a priest and a tech-guy to a small church in the middle of nowhere Scotland in order to verify (but more likely to debunk) a haunting.

Although it's a found footage film (and includes one obvious, but character driven jump scare) the movie is soaked with tension, atmosphere and dread. The two leads have fantastic chemistry and are constantly at odds with the locals (and the land itself) as they film and document the site of the supernatural activity. Mark Kermode said he was desperate for a breather in the final act when things escalate and he's a massive horror snob.

Speaking of the end, I'd implore anyone who's interested in the film to avoid the trailers and to really settle in and absorb everything that's presented to you. Everyone I've known who I've bullied into watching "another dumb found footage film" has ended up saying they just couldn't stop thinking about it for days after.

My lad, I think you and I might as well get married because I both evangelical about this film, and I love the drunken bakers

If you haven't seen A Dark Song, I recommend it.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

John F Bennett posted:

It kinda made sense to me, the stuff that was happening might have been real or not. That was the suspense of it.

Oculus is a perfect movie, I tell you!

you need to be held accountable for this awful opinion! if you know a mirror can completely change how you see reality how do you think 'oh i will put some cameras on it' is going to save you. it can make you see anything it wants you to see!! that includes the cameras!! god this movie makes me so mad.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Yes, but if they were filming it and they manage to watch the video somewhere else then it would work. It didn't seem like the mirror has infinite range?
The only thing that could be unreal is the action of putting cameras on there, but why not try it, huh?

It's a really good movie! And what a twist!

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
did you even watch the movie? i don't think you did because it's not like they just set up cameras and then hosed off, they set up cameras and then romped around the house with the mirror that is trying to kill them

"they manage to watch the video somewhere else"

yeah you could totally do that if you didn't already walk into the house with the mirror that kills you to death

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
oculus is like 1408 but dumber

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Cubone posted:

every time I bring this up people use it as a jumping off point to discuss their theories about this mystery (a mystery that does not exist (because neither of them was the thing (because if one of them was the thing it would just eat the other guy (or whatever the thing does (I don't remember))))) but I am pretty sure this is the correct conclusion and that I am the best at understanding movies, thank you and god bless

Too bad, I'm taking the bait. The Thing clearly has limited experience with humans or else it would have already conquered. If it is still alive at the end it is in a position of having barely made it out of its encounter with the Norwegians alive, and is on the absolute brink of dying in its second encounter. With only one body left it isn't going to take any chances. It needs to look like a presentable corpse in order to be collected without suspicion by the next crew to come along. If it fights the last survivor it risks either complete defeat or being blown into a grotesque form that will either be torched or isolated quickly. You could even interpret this as a brain bug style "It's afraid", if the Thing can be considered to have emotions.

If either MacReady or Childs are the Thing, than both thing and man are in a position of having fought the other to breaking point and lacking the remaining energy or courage to finish the job for sure. But while we may see that as a win for the Thing, who gets to go another round after being defrosted, from the perspective of a creature like the Thing it is probably more like a complete draw. It is a creature that is seemingly one consciousness that can be divided into separate parts. It might see man in the same way, such that when it revives it is just restarting its battle with a fresh segment of the man creature's form having fought the last parts of its form to a stand still.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Hey whoever recommended Gonjiam I just wanted to say, the noise that one girl makes will follow me til I die thanks for that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Moon Atari posted:

Too bad, I'm taking the bait. The Thing clearly has limited experience with humans or else it would have already conquered. If it is still alive at the end it is in a position of having barely made it out of its encounter with the Norwegians alive, and is on the absolute brink of dying in its second encounter. With only one body left it isn't going to take any chances. It needs to look like a presentable corpse in order to be collected without suspicion by the next crew to come along. If it fights the last survivor it risks either complete defeat or being blown into a grotesque form that will either be torched or isolated quickly. You could even interpret this as a brain bug style "It's afraid", if the Thing can be considered to have emotions.

If either MacReady or Childs are the Thing, than both thing and man are in a position of having fought the other to breaking point and lacking the remaining energy or courage to finish the job for sure. But while we may see that as a win for the Thing, who gets to go another round after being defrosted, from the perspective of a creature like the Thing it is probably more like a complete draw. It is a creature that is seemingly one consciousness that can be divided into separate parts. It might see man in the same way, such that when it revives it is just restarting its battle with a fresh segment of the man creature's form having fought the last parts of its form to a stand still.

Re: Thing Talk

I really enjoyed this short story from the alien's perspective.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A couple of recent views and recommendations as we head into the month of October...

Dracula
The original 1931 version. It still owns, but a whole lot of the action happens offscreen. There's multiple scenes where people say something like "Look over there!" and even more where a character remembers something that happened the previous night. Obviously they're limited on what they can do, and it does add this quality where you imagine something more horrific than what they could have shown on screen anyhow, but it's kind of funny to view it with a modern eye. There's also some amazing dialogue where Lucy is incredibly horny for Dracula and becomes a 1930s goth.

Also keep your eye open for the vampire bee at the beginning. My wife and I debated whether it was a regular size bee with a tiny coffin (either created by the bee or by Dracula) or a giant bee in a regular sized coffin. I like the idea that a bee somehow tasted Dracula's blood through a failed sting, became a vampire, and Drac felt the need to build the li'l guy a coffin.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
Definitely a bit hokier than the top tier Universal Monster Movies, but it's still really fun. The Wolfman is really due for a good reimagining in 2019 because he just wants to die, and that's like 99% of social media nowadays. Frankenstein's monster is a little lame in this, but there are a ton of really good Wolfman scenes. He's at this big European festival and he looks miserable as this huge party's going on around him, then a guy starts singing about eternal life and the Wolfman flips out and starts screaming about how much eternal life sucks. Lon Chaney Jr pulls off being a big sad lunk so well, and the tiny handful of scenes where he looks happy (usually because he thinks he's discovered a way to die) are heartbreaking.

Another movie I'd recommend as "definitely better than you think" is CHUD. Horror, to me, always works exceptionally well when it comes from some real-world place, no matter how abstract you get. Going back to the Wolfman, he's an outsider cursed to destroy everything he loves, and the only thing he wants is to rest in peace. But even that's denied to him. On a small level, if you've ever just wanted to take a loving nap but couldn't, you can relate a little bit to him.

CHUD isn't subtle at all. It's all about how the US Government doesn't give a gently caress about people and will cause a massive problem, then lie in an attempt to cover it up, then gently caress up even worse and resort to murdering people to cover up their secondary fuckup. It worked in the 80s and it works to this day because we know this happens. There's no doubt that somebody in the US Government at some point has suggested burying toxic waste under major cities, and there's almost definitely someone else who's wondered if they could weaponize the homeless.

It's all wrapped up with some cool creature designs, a ton of actors you know from other stuff, and really likable characters. Do not watch the sequel, though, it's complete crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Don't think anyones mentioned Nightbreed yet, watch it on shoutfactory now! They also stream Night of the Demons, Chopping Mall and a bunch of other good horror. Worth taking a look at.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/nightbreed-director-s-cut/592dd1cb70e61c14c301cdff