Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Another year another thread about horror movies that you like or that you think suck. Here's a short list to get started:

The Conjuring Universe There was a time when every studio was trying to make a cinematic universe but The Conjuring is one that low-key succeeded. Weird. Anyway here's a list.
  • The Conjuring
  • Annabelle
  • The Conjuring 2
  • Annabelle: Creation
  • The Nun
  • The Curse of La Llorona
  • Annabelle Comes Home

IT and IT chapter 2 Come for the clown, stay for the naked old lady

The Ritual some Norse stuff

Halloween The one that came out last year was so good that they're making sequels

V/H/S V/H/S 2 The first is more rough than the second but that gives it it's charm. Also an anthology series

Happy Death Day More of a horror comedy but it's pretty good.

Alright I've started it, now you guys post. Go on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - low budget zombie movie from the early 70s. My favourite bit is when the protagonists dig up a corpse and bring it back to the house to play with

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Conjuring 1 is a legit good movie cinematically and is not just jump-scares. I'd recommend it to people that don't normally watch scary movies.

About 95% of all horror movies are low budget sex/gore fests or jump-scare movies for teens. Conjuring (1 at least I havent seen the rest) is in the 5% of "real movie" horror movies.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 24, 2019

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

Pickwick High posted:

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - low budget zombie movie from the early 70s. My favourite bit is when the protagonists dig up a corpse and bring it back to the house to play with

You have to put up with such annoying characters, but the ending is worth it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One of my family's traditions is to watch William Castle's 1959 classic House on Haunted Hill every Halloween. Castle's films are often silly, laded with gimmicks, but so much goofy fun.

House on Haunted Hill benefits from having a great cast - including Vincent Price, Carolyn Jones, and Elisha Cook. And it has skeletons! In fact, when you saw this in a theater back in '59, it was touted as being in "Emergo" which meant a plastic skeleton on a zip line would go over the audience at a specific moment during the film. :ok:

Castle followed it up the same year with another collaboration with Vincent Price, The Tingler.

Even more gimmicks - first-run theaters had buzzers under the seats that would vibrate at points during the film and there's even a trippy color scene. For that matter, some prints even had a hidden stereo track so that a few moments with screams seemed to surround the audience.

And his next film was 13 Ghosts, which had scenes with ghosts tinted red and blue so you could use special viewers to either make the ghosts appear more or disappear.

A few years later, he made Strait-Jacket starring Joan Crawford, with advertising mentioning "VIVIDLY DEPICTS AXE MURDERS!" (it was also written by Robert Bloch, who had written the novel Psycho was based upon)

(He also made a bunch of other films like Homicidal, Mr. Sardonicus, Zotz!, 13 Frightened Girls, a remake of The Old Dark House and even produced Rosemary's Baby)

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My top 5 I recommend to anyone interested in horror movies:

Creepshow
Stephen King writes 5 short tales inspired by 50s horror comics, and George Romero and Tom Savini bring it all to life. If that doesn't interest you already, the cast is ridiculously star-studded including Leslie Nielsen as a murderous husband and Adrienne Barbeau as a woman who's such an alcoholic she mixes milk and booze for a car ride. Every segment is good, but my personal favorite is "The Crate".

Suspiria
It's very weird, and the plot is somehow both extremely basic and way too complicated, but it's one of the most beautiful horror movies ever made. A girl enrolls at a dance school in the Black Forest, only to discover that there are some weird events happening on campus. I also highly recommend you watch the ad for it that played in the US, because it has nothing to do with the movie and totally rules.

The Abominable Doctor Phibes
I consider this to be the perfect horror comedy. Vincent Price plays Dr. Anton Phibes, a brilliant theologian and musician who finds out his wife is about to die on the operating table. Rushing home, his car crashes off the side of a mountain and he dies a fiery death. But then all of the surgeons that failed to save his wife begin to die and people begin to suspect that Phibes may still be alive. Some of the most amazing and inventive kills I've ever seen, since everyone is killed via one of the Biblical Plagues of Egypt. You wanna see a guy impaled by a unicorn? This is your movie.

It Follows
Amazing soundtack, amazing atmosphere, and some incredible scares. It's also one of the few horror movies with teens where you don't want anybody to die. It starts as a little mystery and then quickly turns into something more. It's also one of those great horror movies that really captures the feeling of late summer/early fall.

Bride of Frankenstein
If you've never seen this movie, go see it. If you think you know what this movie is, you're wrong. Equally parts funny and horrific, many of the classic Frankenstein moments that have entered pop culture come from this movie, including the Monster's encounter with the blind man. Also features an evil scientist happily eating a sandwich in a crypt.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Gaunab posted:

Another year another thread about horror movies that you like or that you think suck. Here's a short list to get started:

The Conjuring Universe There was a time when every studio was trying to make a cinematic universe but The Conjuring is one that low-key succeeded. Weird. Anyway here's a list.
  • The Conjuring
  • Annabelle
  • The Conjuring 2
  • Annabelle: Creation
  • The Nun
  • The Curse of La Llorona
  • Annabelle Comes Home

IT and IT chapter 2 Come for the clown, stay for the naked old lady

The Ritual some Norse stuff

Halloween The one that came out last year was so good that they're making sequels

V/H/S V/H/S 2 The first is more rough than the second but that gives it it's charm. Also an anthology series

Happy Death Day More of a horror comedy but it's pretty good.

Alright I've started it, now you guys post. Go on...

I came in here to be rude, but I actually like all the movies in the OP so instead I will contribute!

The Thing, 1982 Maybe the best sci fi horror movie of all time, with incredible practical effects and a great cast. A wonderful bit of paranoia and suspense. I don't think this film reviewed well when it released, but you would be hard pressed to find a horror OR sci fi fan who hasn't seen and loved this movie. Ranks up at the very top of John Carpenter's work, right alongside Halloween

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
If you like Dr Phibes playing death for laughs, there's also Price in Theater of Blood. It's kind of the same plot: guy people think is dead seeks stylized vengeance against his enemies. Only this time, he's an actor, not a surgeon, so his murders come out of Shakespeare.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Transylvania 6-5000 if you like lots of jokey on top of a little spooky

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

and here's my top horror:

The Haunting (1963, Robert Wise)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeAzGxWlEcg&t=7s

Good old-fashioned haunted house with almost no special effects, just tons of dread and spookiness. Has one of the best jump scares in movie history. (Also stars Julie Harris, Russ Tamblyn, and Claire Bloom)

Vampyr (1932, Carl Theodor Dreyer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDCurPnFyg

Another exercise in unease with minimalism. It's an early sound film, survives in sort of milky B&W (be sure to see the Criterion DVD/Blu-ray), and just feels creepy between all the skull imagery and having an old woman be a vampire.

Phantom of the Paradise (1974, Brian De Palma)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5qVJEg3qA

While not exactly the scariest film, this is such an essential Halloween season movie. By far the best iteration of the Phantom of the Opera story, full of clever camera/editing tricks, awesome cast (William Finley, Jessica Harper, Paul Williams, and Gerrit Graham), and songs that'll stick with you.

Carnival of Souls (1962, Herk Harvey)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0w_4vaGqD8

The only feature film by Centron industrial film director Herk Harvey (if you're a MST3K fan, you've seen a bunch of his work). On the surface, it seems like just another low budget Z-movie, but it has this eerie, dreamlike tone. It's public domain, so pretty easy to see, though definitely check out the proper restored version.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Seriously, watch The Ritual. It's such a weird and unique horror film.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The WNUF Halloween Special needs to be in your spooky movie rotation.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The VVitch: A New England Folktale
It scratches my historical fiction itch with a wonderful depiction of colonial life and also features arguably the greatest ever performance by a goat.

Dead Snow
Zombie Nazis best Nazis

Let the Right One In
This came out about the same time as the Twilight movies and was my go-to "this is an actually good vampire movie."

Pulse (Japanese version)
This defines the "slow creep" horror genre. They did an American remake of it that I didn't see and have no idea if good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sunshine and Pandorum are among my favorites. They aren't really traditional horror films, more scifi with horror elements.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
For creepy makes you not want to sleep I recommend the Donald Sutherland 70s version of Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I just got around to watching the Haunting of Hill House and I'm really digging it so far, great tension

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

gently caress yea spooky movies! :gary:

The Conjuring universe is predictable but has a few nice touches and moments throughout. I love the Warren's room of haunted crap, lots of cool potential in there but it's far spookier when left to the viewers imagination.

Also the paranormal detecting tech they use in those movies and the Insidious trilogy: old repurposed viewmasters and flashbulb cameras and voltmeters inexplicably connected to color gels and pesticide sprayers.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Poasty posted:

I just got around to watching the Haunting of Hill House and I'm really digging it so far, great tension

The Netflix version? I really enjoyed it, too, but as someone who LOVES the novel and the movie The Haunting I despised that final episode. So just keep that in mind. I still recommend it overall.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you wanna see a real spooky show? try turning on c-span!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I think The Others is a moody and spooky movie whose somber fog-based visuals work well even if you know the twist, unlike the contemporary Sixth Sense which is more of a gimmicky movie.

Also
Oculus is a movie about a spooky mirror that makes people hallucinate and may eat dogs. Normally you don't see that kind of behavior in a wall decoration.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah Oculus went all over the place.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Lake Mungo is a good watch if you like your horror slowly simmered and spread out under the pretext of a fake documentary.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The \/\/itch and Under The Skin are the spookiest movies I've seen in the last few years

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
long live the new flesh

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm fuckin spooked!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Event Horizon is my jam. I wouldn't really call the second half spooky when everything goes all insane, but it's great.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

A Fancy Hat posted:

The Netflix version? I really enjoyed it, too, but as someone who LOVES the novel and the movie The Haunting I despised that final episode. So just keep that in mind. I still recommend it overall.

Yeah the Netflix one. I'm a big fan of Stephen King so lovely endings haven't phased me since I was about 12. Only about halfway through at this point, will definitely make a white noise post about it when I'm finished.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
The Blair Witch Project is honestly my all-time favorite horror film. Everything from the uniqueness of how it was produced, its subtle but effective mythology (its verisimilitude, I guess), to its marketing campaign, to the way in which it affected the culture, to simply watching and enjoying it as a movie—I keep coming back to it and it still fascinates me.

It just loving rules.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess it didn't have the most favorable reception but I loved As Above, So Below. I'm also just a sucker for any plot that is derived from historical legends (in this case the supposed immortality of Nicolas Flamel after having created a Philosopher's stone and Elixir of Life.)

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
El Orfanato (2007) aka "The Orphanage" was pretty spooky without relying on jump scares. Maybe one or two, but otherwise it just laid on this mounting sense of dread as a mother attempts to communicate with the ghosts of the orphanage she and her husband purchased in order to find her missing adoptive son.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Alien is an amazing horror movie masquerading as science fiction.

The Descent is a creepy, claustrophobic movie about a group of women exploring a cave, and finding more than they bargained for.

Get Out is a friggin' masterpiece. Loved it, very creepy.

Mentioned already, but worth mentioning again: It Follows, The Ritual, Oculus.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

perhaps you have heard of Leprehaun???

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Egbert Souse posted:

One of my family's traditions is to watch William Castle's 1959 classic House on Haunted Hill every Halloween. Castle's films are often silly, laded with gimmicks, but so much goofy fun.

House on Haunted Hill benefits from having a great cast - including Vincent Price, Carolyn Jones, and Elisha Cook. And it has skeletons! In fact, when you saw this in a theater back in '59, it was touted as being in "Emergo" which meant a plastic skeleton on a zip line would go over the audience at a specific moment during the film. :ok:

Castle followed it up the same year with another collaboration with Vincent Price, The Tingler.

Even more gimmicks - first-run theaters had buzzers under the seats that would vibrate at points during the film and there's even a trippy color scene. For that matter, some prints even had a hidden stereo track so that a few moments with screams seemed to surround the audience.

And his next film was 13 Ghosts, which had scenes with ghosts tinted red and blue so you could use special viewers to either make the ghosts appear more or disappear.

A few years later, he made Strait-Jacket starring Joan Crawford, with advertising mentioning "VIVIDLY DEPICTS AXE MURDERS!" (it was also written by Robert Bloch, who had written the novel Psycho was based upon)

(He also made a bunch of other films like Homicidal, Mr. Sardonicus, Zotz!, 13 Frightened Girls, a remake of The Old Dark House and even produced Rosemary's Baby)

I have a tattoo from the 13 Ghosts remake, which is about goddamn near the weirdest thing I've ever mentioned about myself here. Glad to see another William Castle fan.

Concur that the first Conjuring and It Follows are great. The Descent, the original Spanish [REC], The Taking of Deborah Logan, El Orfanato, VVitch, Suicide Club, the Japanese and US versions of The Ring, The Wailing, the original Suspira. The Sacrament was panned but I found the sense of dread through it enjoyable.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mooey Cow posted:

I think The Others is a moody and spooky movie whose somber fog-based visuals work well even if you know the twist, unlike the contemporary Sixth Sense which is more of a gimmicky movie.

The end of The Others still fucks me up a little.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Also, these are spooky music videos not movies, but the band Skynd bases all of their songs off of true crime events. The concept sounds like it'll be 2edgy4u but they're actually pretty well done if you're into Industrial or EDM at all (if not in questionable taste), videos NSFW but no like, real crime scene photos or anything like that:
Gary Heidnik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh0y4CLiw-c
Elisa Lam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPOMjmO8xRI
Jim Jones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjvGiT0fWo
Richard Ramirez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acxZzjYfMQ
Tyler Hadley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wfIlIadjQ

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
nthing It Follows, The VVitch, The Ritual, Lake Mungo

throwing out Signal (2007), Stage Fright (1987), Attack the Block, Cube, Trick R Treat, and The Gate

Signal is a movie about a signal that makes people go crazy and start killing each other, and that's all I can really say without spoiling anything, but it is a delightfully disorienting flick with three directors, and boy oh boy do things take an odd turn when the second director shows up. in a good way, though. yeah I love this flick

Stage Fright is the only giallo movie I've ever seen, because I heard Hotline Miami was inspired by it and I'm a FRAAAAAUD, but if you have no familiarity with giallo it's a cool flick because you can kind of see how it differs from slashers. it's about a theater troupe being stalked by a killer in an owl mask

Attack the Block, if anybody hasn't seen it, what is wrong with you, remedy that as soon as possible, please. it is a movie about pitch-black alien monsters who crash land in and start ravaging inner city london, and the loose band of impoverished young hoodlums who find themselves on the front lines. they say things like "fam innit bruv? believe." and you'll be amazed at how quickly you start to understand them

Cube is about 6 people trapped in a Cube. how did they get there? why are they there? do they do a math? hm.

Trick R Treat is a fun anthology of Halloween stories that all take place in the same town on the same night. it delights in the spirit of the season and recalls stuff like tales from the crypt and creepshow with its twisty, fiendish surprises, while still feeling fresh, and it holds up upon rewatch because the stories are interconnected, and the whole movie is littered with callbacks and foreshadowing

and The Gate is a kids' movie from the 80's, about a portal to hell opening up in these kids' backyard. there's tons of cool, imaginative practical effects, and bubblegum pop occult stuff that makes it feel like a fun spooky adventure without getting bogged down in anything too serious. sorry I'm kind of running out of steam, I haven't had dinner yet

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mooey Cow posted:

Also
Oculus is a movie about a spooky mirror that makes people hallucinate and may eat dogs. Normally you don't see that kind of behavior in a wall decoration.

Oculus was good!

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Mr. Dick really wants Dr. Sparkle to do some more Dr. Sparkle After Dark episodes.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I saw Tigers Are Not Afraid. It's a Mexican film about a group of orphans trying to find out what happened to their parents. There is some some supernatural elements sprinkled in. It's pretty unflinching in its depictions of cartel violence.

I just signed up for a free trial of Shudder so I'm hoping to get some good recommendations from this thread.

So far this Critters TV show, garbage.
The Ranger, pretty loving stupid. Kinda a bad generic 80's style kids getting picked off in the woods flick.

Looking forward to:
Rewatching Mandy
Horror Noir documentary
Cut of the Dead
Hagazussa
and I have a soft spot for 70's shlock, of which there seems to be a decent amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/0Ek32ie.gifv