Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Given the chance, who/what should I cosplay?
Kane
Commander McNeil
The Kodiak
NOD Soldier
View Results

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
God I love the NOD intro. Slavik is also a believable and great rear end in a top hat, in fact in generla the NOD protagonists all are.

I also love how GDI has a command airship while NOD has a command tunnelling vehicle, it's very cool and thematically appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

CABAL was probably the reason I always played the NOD campaign instead of the GDI one.. what a great thing to have.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So once again the game makes it gloriously clear that we are, quite possibly, the baddies. Not edgy and misunderstood, not tricked/coerced/forced into doing bad things that we didn't really want to do, but actual fanatical cultists hellbent on world domination (and then some).

I think the biggest difference between TD Nod and TS Nod is that there is less of a guerilla vibe and now much more of a culty feel to it. The smiles on the news presenters' faces are totally on point, and the way Oxanna looks at Slavik makes me wonder if she's interested in him romantically, interested in using him to get higher up in the organisation before having him brutally murdered, or just interested in turning his skin into office furniture.

I do miss the hand of nod no longer having a giant statue of a hand with the world in its grip, though.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
huh

back in the day, I saw that little screen the execution broadcast was playing on as some sort of comedically oversized display blown out of the dead trooper's helmet.

now I just see it as a phone or tablet, and definitely streaming on youtube.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Crazy Achmed posted:

the way Oxanna looks at Slavik makes me wonder if she's interested in him romantically, interested in using him to get higher up in the organisation before having him brutally murdered, or just interested in turning his skin into office furniture.

Those three things are not mutually exclusive you know.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I got to love the difference in the gdi and nod starts.

GDI: Mac! The base! Save it!

NOD: In two minutes you just witnessed 3+ betrayals, a pair of execution attempts on traitors, and a jailbreak.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Crazy Achmed posted:

So once again the game makes it gloriously clear that we are, quite possibly, the baddies. Not edgy and misunderstood, not tricked/coerced/forced into doing bad things that we didn't really want to do, but actual fanatical cultists hellbent on world domination (and then some).

I think you mean "bringing the technology of peace to the world", comrade.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Did I say I objected to any of that? 10-year-old me immediately gravitated towards Nod in TD simply because holy poo poo, you actually get to be the baddies for once. I do think they could have come up with a better slogan than "peace through power" although I can't

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Peace Trough Power
Kane Lives In Death
One Vision, One Purpose

All NOD.

GDI?

I Love To Win

:sad:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

True, Peace through Power is a bit lame but Kane Lives in Death and One Vision, One Purpose are pretty neat.

The virgin Mcneill versus the chad Slavik. poo poo, "I love to win" probably isn't even a real GDI slogan, their official one is probably you sitting and filling out forms or some poo poo while Solomon berates you over a teleconference link.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I love to win, the forms you have to fill in if you win are a lot shorter than the forms they make you fill in if you lose.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Peace Trough Power
Kane Lives In Death
One Vision, One Purpose

All NOD.

GDI?

I Love To Win

:sad:

Well, umm, there is also, ahhh, "Lets kick some rear end." and... hmm, ohh, "Not in my world." Yeah...

Seriously though, I love the design NOD has in this game, their Light Infantry outfits alone are amazing, and they have more fully embraced their scorpion theme as well, as seen in several vehicles and defenses. Shame about the Hand of NOD though, the whole hand gripping the globe look was just amazing as it was impractical, another plus for NOD in my book. Who cares if it is totally impractical and wasteful of materials, as long as it looks cool/intimidating.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

True, Peace through Power is a bit lame but Kane Lives in Death and One Vision, One Purpose are pretty neat.

The virgin Mcneill versus the chad Slavik. poo poo, "I love to win" probably isn't even a real GDI slogan, their official one is probably you sitting and filling out forms or some poo poo while Solomon berates you over a teleconference link.

The official GDI slogan is "GDI killed no children" or something, probably.

I couldn't finish either campaign, but I've been interested in NOD's campaign more, so I wonder what will happen next. I'd like to know how do they obtain technological knowledge to make cyborgs and such, for example - though I don't suppose it will be adressed, given how the Titan 2.0 came and went with no fanfare.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Well, umm, there is also, ahhh, "Lets kick some rear end." and... hmm, ohh, "Not in my world." Yeah...

Seriously though, I love the design NOD has in this game, their Light Infantry outfits alone are amazing, and they have more fully embraced their scorpion theme as well, as seen in several vehicles and defenses. Shame about the Hand of NOD though, the whole hand gripping the globe look was just amazing as it was impractical, another plus for NOD in my book. Who cares if it is totally impractical and wasteful of materials, as long as it looks cool/intimidating.

The Brotherhood is definitely marketed better than GDI. I started looking into the Hand of NOD and why I think it should look the way it is and the pool is deeper than I thought and I think I'll have something cool to think about later when I can get a better grasp on how to present it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, THAT'S where the effort went.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

Oh, THAT'S where the effort went.

:(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

When you have a faction of hammy villains you are always in for a Good Time (if you get to play them).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I meant in the story dork

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GDI has another slogan, "we save lives"

It's short and snappy and focus-grouped well

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

This is it folks, best part of C&C until we get to Red Alert 2 (and its expansion pack). God, what a golden age.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FoolyCharged posted:

I got to love the difference in the gdi and nod starts.

GDI: Mac! The base! Save it!

NOD: In two minutes you just witnessed 3+ betrayals, a pair of execution attempts on traitors, and a jailbreak.
"Quite a bit of personality to it, right off the bat."

Kane lives in death! :allears:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I like how the NOD command tunneling vehicle is just "the Kodiak, but evil".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its also a thousand times safer, as, unless proven otherwise in a future video, it should be immune to the effects of Ion Storms. At least, so far as mobility is concerned.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 30, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chronojam posted:

GDI has another slogan, "we save lives"

It's short and snappy and focus-grouped well

And sometimes it's even true!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
There's a theory that general Solomon is the GDI commander from TD.
I guess that explains why he hates Mack's girlfriend wants civilians to die.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A personal thing, but while this intro is infinitely better than GDI's (you can tell who the devs cared about), I wish CABAL's voice wasn't the kind that sticks in my throat just listening to it. Luckily I don't need to hear it as much as a NOD commander.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Joe Kucan on...

...GDI cutscenes: Hollywood actors, it'll pretty much sort itself out

...Nod cutscenes: this is my goddamn magnum opus!!!!

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Ok watched NOD 1: Cabal is boss

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

HardDiskD posted:

I like how the NOD command tunneling vehicle is just "the Kodiak, but evil".

You can tell by all the red lighting.

Also I love how the other co-pilot just kind of shakes his head when his colleague gets murdered.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

u brexit ukip it posted:

You can tell by all the red lighting.

Also I love how the other co-pilot just kind of shakes his head when his colleague gets murdered.

I mean that seems like a typical Tuesday. Power shifts quickly in the Brotherhood after all :v:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

geonetix posted:

Cabal is boss

Needs to be thread title imo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

UED Special Ops posted:

TS-era is definitely my favourite design of all the C&C games.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

UED Special Ops posted:

Shame about the Hand of NOD though, the whole hand gripping the globe look was just amazing as it was impractical, another plus for NOD in my book. Who cares if it is totally impractical and wasteful of materials, as long as it looks cool/intimidating.

Look more closelier. The hand still grips the world...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, but the world is winning this time. It's so much bigger!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

NOD definitely has better marketing to it, and the turn towards cult theme and organizational structure seems to be the next step in how they run things. If we look at the fact that Kane had a mysterious background to him, his GDI personnel file listed him as potentially being thousands of years old and had adopted religious or spiritual aliases, and his eventual defeat at the hands of GDI without anyone being able to find his corpse. The "Temple of NOD" is another major giveaway that, while they seemed to be a terrorist organization first and foremost, they clearly had religious undertones to their outward appearance.

Looking at the themes as well, The Brotherhood of NOD sports a deep reddish hue and the iconic tail of a scorpion, although this is sometimes swapped for a design featuring an entire scorpion. It is interesting that, when looking at potential connections to the iconography, one comes across a passage for Scorpius, noting that it includes the star Antares, "the rival of Mars", named so due to its distinct reddish hue. As well, there are several mythological stories based around Scorpius. Two involve Orion, and in both he is killed by a scorpion. In the first, his boasts that he would kill everyone on the planet, drew the ire of Artemis and Leto, who sent a giant scorpion to fight Orion. Orion would perish in the ensuing combat, and Zeus would raise the Scorpion into the heavens as a result, and doing the same for Orion after Artemis requested so. The second story saw Apollo, Artemis' twin brother, grow angry at Orion after he and Artemis started getting closer to eachother. Again, the scorpion killed Orion, and both were raised to the heavens thanks to Zeus.

Yet, in my opinion, the more interesting mythos does not involve Orion at all. Instead the story focuses on Phaeton, the mortal male offspring to Helios, who wished to ride his father's chariot for a day. On the day he was finally able to do so, he panicked and lost control of the horses pulling the chariot. As the chariot's course changed, so did the Earth's temperature, at first cooling off as the chariot flew further away, and burning as the chariot came too close. Eventually, Zeus was forced to step in and strike Phaeton and the chariot with his lightning, sending the mortal to the river of death.

Now, why do I think this is important? Firstly, Kane clearly sees himself as a messiah to the people of Earth, whether they accept that or not. Secondly, we have already seen that he proves he is mortal [If I am cut, do I not bleed?], whether or not that video feed was real or doctored. The Tiberium that landed on Earth has caused mutations, but more importantly causes the land to go barren, as all available nutrients and minerals are consumed and condensed into Tiberium crystals. And lastly, it is all too similar that the Ion Cannon struck Kane in much the same was as Zeus' lightning did to Phaeton.

While Kane's goal isn't to kill every living thing on the planet, one can safely assume that, by refusing to follow him, he has no issues with doing so. Going further with the themes, the Hand of Nod initially being the design of a upright forearm and hand holding the planet. It could be implied that, as a terrorist organization or underground movement, they hold a grasp on the planet. The arrival of Tiberium, its characteristics, and subsequent value easily made that a possibility. The intro to Tiberian Dawn, with the bombing of high value targets, such as Trade Centers and the Allied high command.

After the death of Kane, the hand of NOD was redesigned and it blends two interesting details. First is how the hand looks cybernetic/robotic, due to the lines and overall shape. Second, and more importantly, is how the Hand of Nod looks like it is clawing its way out of the ground, a clear reference to the eventual, or at the least hopeful, revival/return of Kane to the Brotherhood.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
There are some "oulds" in there that exist only because I'm not writing Command and Conquer lore.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This is probably a bad comparison, but here's another reason why I prefer NOD over GDI combat equipment.

Brown/Beige and Gold.

Red and Black.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also nod is sometimes blue

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, it is obvious that those "Elite Guard" and this Hassan character are not true followers of Kane, and as such they have fallen from the path and no longer believe in wearing the true colors of the faithful. And yeah, it is cool how even in TD there was a cult-like feel to NOD that came out in full force afterwords as various commanders rose trying to live up to what they believed was Kane's will until his glorious return. Also interesting thoughts on the redesigned Hand of NOD, never really considered all that. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

AJ_Impy posted:

Look more closelier. The hand still grips the world...
:aaaaa: