Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The Rebels are a fine high school mascot as long as their sports teams lose every game :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Popete posted:

This is some real bullshit there is no baseball today. I demand MLB get rid of off days.

Make the third-place wild card teams in each league play each other in the World Series of not being good enough.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Squall posted:

Make the third-place wild card teams in each league play each other in the World Series of not being good enough.

Counter: Make the two worst teams play a single game and they all have to wear sad clown makeup

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1178728560351166464

Do I want them to Hire Maddon or not

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

They made the playoffs 11 times since 2000, including this year.

Yeah but what I said was haven't won a playoff series. Idk what point you're trying to make but the Braves haven't been relevant for a long time, which is what I also said.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm bummed he got let go. He's clearly a bad manager.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1178730117058764803

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I am excited for tomorrow and Wednesday. There may be no more enjoyable baseball fan experience than watching a Wild Card Game that you are not personally invested in.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I like the narrative that the two hardest working front offices are duking it out for the wild card in the AL. I'm rooting for both the Rays and A's to go all the way!!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Normally I'd be all about the As and the Ray's but the Twins are alive, at least until the Yankees.

Standard gently caress the Yankees and Cardinals

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah but what I said was haven't won a playoff series. Idk what point you're trying to make but the Braves haven't been relevant for a long time, which is what I also said.

it's a bit hard to paint them as lovable underdogs when they won the division last year and were a near-unanimous pick to win it again this year

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tell a Pirates or Orioles fan the Braves aren't relevant because despite making the playoffs a bunch of times they haven't been winning series

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maddon with Ohtani could be fun, although considering the way DH forfeiture works in the AL I don't know how cute he could get with OF-P swaps mid-inning.

Angels however, much like the Cubs, need way more than a new manager if they want to make it to October next year.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Joe Maddon is going to spend the rest of his career hopping from franchise to franchise getting first year guys fired

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

it's a bit hard to paint them as lovable underdogs when they won the division last year and were a near-unanimous pick to win it again this year

Lol

Intruder posted:

Tell a Pirates or Orioles fan the Braves aren't relevant because despite making the playoffs a bunch of times they haven't been winning series

Only one team allowed to be irrelevant at a time got it

e: really weird how y'all are jumping to the defense of the almightly braves when I was responding to a comment of someone being tired of the braves like they've been blowing the doors off the league for years.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 30, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Orioles fan?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm extremely worried that a lot of people are going to be upset when this season ends up being the start of a 50 year Astros dynasty

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This is the Braves' fifth playoff berth this decade lol. "Disappointing" maybe since they haven't won a series, but definitely not "irrelevant." That is dumb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol

Only one team allowed to be irrelevant at a time got it

e: really weird how y'all are jumping to the defense of the almightly braves when I was responding to a comment of someone being tired of the braves like they've been blowing the doors off the league for years.

Spilborgh with the ultimate homer pick.

...! posted:

I'm extremely worried that a lot of people are going to be upset when this season ends up being the start of a 50 year Astros dynasty

If we win 100 games next year, it'll be the first time a team has done that four years in a row, so I don't think the Astros win 100 next year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

This is the Braves' fifth playoff berth this decade lol. "Disappointing" maybe since they haven't won a series, but definitely not "irrelevant." That is dumb.

Fine if you want to argue semantics but they make the playoffs and immediately get booted.

I will amend my comment to that they're disappointing so that nobody continues being also disappointed.

e: never thought I'd be arguing that the braves have been bad while actually the whole time they've been good

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 30, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I respect the hell out of Ryan Spilborghs for this

It's like the Seth McClung image

e: which I can't seem to find anywhere, anyone have it?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Rebels are a fine high school mascot as long as their sports teams lose every game :smugdog:

My alma mater has taken that cause seriously in football.

They banned Rebel flag stuff a few years ago, then went and introduced a costumed Colonel Rebel after never having one before. Dunno if they still use it as I try not to visit that shithole.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

I respect the hell out of Ryan Spilborghs for this

It's like the Seth McClung image

e: which I can't seem to find anywhere, anyone have it?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:tipshat:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red Sox: we want to slash 40 million from the payroll in one off season

Also Red Sox: we're raising prices.
https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1178674736378896384

It's like the ownership team took stupid pills this week.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

This image has grown even funnier as time goes on thanks to Andre Ethier’s pick of Chad Billingsley.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Homerism is good in sports because: sports are for fun and it's fun to be completely irrational in favor of The 'Ome Side (positive homerism, not whatever they have in Philly)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Spilborgh with the ultimate homer pick.
6 of the 10 teams he picked to make the postseason ended up missing it completely. Almost impressive really.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

GPTribefan posted:

This image has grown even funnier as time goes on thanks to Andre Ethier’s pick of Chad Billingsley.

It allows you to pinpoint the survey date as either 2007 or 2008.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1178743014417670144

Mookie for Correa, straight up. Or: JD Martinez Takes Discount to Return Home

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It allows you to pinpoint the survey date as either 2007 or 2008.
The whole thing points to those years too. Halladay and Santana being the top picks, one legacy Pedro pick, and no mention yet of Kershaw or Verlander.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1178743014417670144

Mookie for Correa, straight up. Or: JD Martinez Takes Discount to Return Home

JD Martinez is a dipshit chud and we’re all stocked up on OFs and DH, so no thanks.

Mookie, though :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The whole thing points to those years too. Halladay and Santana being the top picks, one legacy Pedro pick, and no mention yet of Kershaw or Verlander.

And the legacy Maddux pick who was 41 at that time and pretty much washed and would retire a year later. And uh. Had a 3.58 FIP

heh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think you'd see a mention of Kershaw as a game 7 starter anyways

Astros posters: assuming rest not an issue, game 7 World Series: Cole or JV?

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 30, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

First the one then the other

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

JV had more pitching wins this season ergo he's better duh

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Red posted:

Hello, can someone answer these questions?

1. Why Josh Reddick is an everyday player?
2. Statistically, should Reddick be an everyday player?

He's still a very good defensive outfielder and his OPS isn't that far below league average. Most teams have to put worse 8/9 hitters out there.

That said, I think the Astros will look to trade him this offseason. Kyle Tucker has looked a lot better this year in limited PAs, Jake Marisnick will always the be the 4th outfielder, and while Reddick isn't awful yet, he's not a guy you want to be paying 13 mil a year in his mid 30s when you're in win-now mode.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

They'll do a McCullers-Morton thing

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Jack Flaherty finishes the season as #1 in the league in WHIP and H/9 which is absolutely ridiculous.

First 17 starts: 90 IP, 4.90 ERA, 1.288 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 10.1 K/9, .771 OPS against

Last 16 starts: 106.1 IP, 0.93 ERA, 0.696 WHIP, 4.2 H/9, 11 K/9, .419 OPS against

Something clicked for him and I hope it never ends. (Also the Cardinals were 10-6 in his last 16 starts what a bunch of drat idiots)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Jack Flaherty finishes the season as #1 in the league in WHIP and H/9 which is absolutely ridiculous.

First 17 starts: 90 IP, 4.90 ERA, 1.288 WHIP, 8.5 H/9, 10.1 K/9, .771 OPS against

Last 16 starts: 106.1 IP, 0.93 ERA, 0.696 WHIP, 4.2 H/9, 11 K/9, .419 OPS against

Something clicked for him and I hope it never ends. (Also the Cardinals were 10-6 in his last 16 starts what a bunch of drat idiots)

NL pitcher of the month honors as well

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1178768132078473216

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 30, 2019