Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Serf posted:

gonna have to narrow it down

And D&D isn't even the worst as mainstream (as much as they can be) RPGs go, see that White Wolf guy who turned out to be a woke rapist, which shouldn't be surprising as Beast is basically the woke rapist RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I was bored and reinstalled dawn of war soul storm and then it crashed after I defeated the sisters of battle base and I didnt save so I uninstalled.

Are there any good rts games lately?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
starcraft

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Gamers is a group that thinks wizards had it easy during the Middle Ages

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And D&D isn't even the worst as mainstream (as much as they can be) RPGs go, see that White Wolf guy who turned out to be a woke rapist, which shouldn't be surprising as Beast is basically the woke rapist RPG

https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1178694467920056322

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Yall need to play Pathfinder 2nd Edition, its basically a new version of DND 4th with goblins as a core race and created by PoC (so no chud grognard will play the new gay sjw rpg)

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1178695083257946112?s=20

Have to save this one

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Yall need to play Pathfinder 2nd Edition, its basically a new version of DND 4th with goblins as a core race and created by PoC (so no chud grognard will play the new gay sjw rpg)

Pathfinder 2E is not really a D&D 4E successor, but much to my surprise by all appearances it is good

its weird/hard to see the words "Pathfinder" and not react with visceral revulsion

e: like I cannot emphasize enough how much more respect they deserve for the way they handled their playtest and iterative design process vs. D&D 5E

LGD has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Sep 30, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bro Dad posted:

:eyepop:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It really is crazy given Pathfinder was originally based entirely on doubling down on all the worst problems of D&D 3.5 that grognards were mad that 4th edition fixed, like anyone but the wizard actually getting to do things.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

People claiming 4e was too videogamey always annoyed me. Like, the combat is the one part of D&D that SHOULD be rules heavy, you dont need rules for basic character interaction and story telling. Frankly they should throw all the skill points into the trashcan too. Like, if you have Use Rope, youre novice, advanced, master, epic, or something like that and the DM can figure out what that means.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ah, new overwatch hero time

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

LGD posted:

Pathfinder 2E is not really a D&D 4E successor, but much to my surprise by all appearances it is good

it kinda is in the sense that all the math is front-loaded and simple, while mages are no longer do-anything munchkin gods

also unsurprisingly the internet hates it because you cant genocide goblins guilt-free anymore

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Meme Emulator posted:

People claiming 4e was too videogamey always annoyed me. Like, the combat is the one part of D&D that SHOULD be rules heavy, you dont need rules for basic character interaction and story telling. Frankly they should throw all the skill points into the trashcan too. Like, if you have Use Rope, youre novice, advanced, master, epic, or something like that and the DM can figure out what that means.

I disagree, mechanics for roleplay are good imo and dnd ain't got none

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Meme Emulator posted:

It's entirely because 3.5 gave them brain damage and they don't know how to use their imaginations anymore.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

it kinda is in the sense that all the math is front-loaded and simple, while mages are no longer do-anything munchkin gods

also unsurprisingly the internet hates it because you cant genocide goblins guilt-free anymore

by those criteria a d02 adaptation of D&D would qualify as a 4E successor :v:

it's clearly influenced by/learns from 4E in certain areas, but it's more of a parallel attempt at evolving the D&D 3.x framework than a game that builds on the 4E model

Serf
May 5, 2011

pf2e is supposedly good, but i'm gonna be sticking to forged in the dark games

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's entirely because 3.5 gave them brain damage and they don't know how to use their imaginations anymore.

uh no it's because it's just wow the tabletop rpg because not letting wizards win and giving everyone the equivalent of easy to understand uses of spells and abilities is videogames, furthermore it dilutes gygax's vision and :suicide:

me and a bunch of friends have an epic level 4e campaign right now thats fun as poo poo, i can teleport all over like an anime and stab guys with my lightsaber soulsword for insane crit damage :pcgaming:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really is crazy given Pathfinder was originally based entirely on doubling down on all the worst problems of D&D 3.5 that grognards were mad that 4th edition fixed, like anyone but the wizard actually getting to do things.

yeah but it was a vastly superior version of 3.5 for people who genuinely want that experience. it's really not that surprising that once 4e nerds became an orphaned market, paizo was able to put together a vastly superior version of 4e to cater to them. they are extremely good at taking systems that were developed haphazardly and with loads of sourcebook bloat and shifting emphasis over time (like all editions of d&d), and then creating a version of that system with better-unified mechanics and fewer obscure abilities hidden deep in random books that totally break the game when actually used.

i don't think paizo were ever 3.5 grogs themselves, frankly. they just knew they could make a lot of money making an actually playable version of 3.5. and pf 1st edition is definitely much more playable than 3.5 ever was, for all that it retains the fundamental d20 flaws

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Sep 30, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

i dunno if i would call pf2e a vastly superior version of 4e. it still seems to have some weird cruft that was easier in 4e

if you want a true successor to 4e, that game is called strike!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Personally I'm waiting for Pathfinder v3 where they do 5e but don't half rear end the hell out of it.
The battlemaster fighter and advantage rules for instance are really good then they ran out of ideas after that and the rest is pretty bad.

It's the edition me and my pals play though because it's insanely easy to set up and play compared to 4th.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I liked 4th Edition, but than again I hate D&D and Fantasy/ Medieval settings, I'm much more into Sci-Fi and horror TTRPGs. Which I guess problematic fav is Delta Green, what with the whole your characters are almost all either cops, troops or spooks.

Unrelated I've been wanting to go and watch Game Center CX but I can't find it streaming anywhere online abs handset felt like subbing to a VPN so I could :filez: it

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

I liked 4th Edition, but than again I hate D&D and Fantasy/ Medieval settings, I'm much more into Sci-Fi and horror TTRPGs. Which I guess problematic fav is Delta Green, what with the whole your characters are almost all either cops, troops or spooks.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my friends and I just sit at the playground and play pretend idk why you guys need books and stuff

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Poniard posted:

my friends and I just sit at the playground and play pretend idk why you guys need books and stuff

The pictures look pretty and sometimes you can jack it to a sexy witch lady with midriff or a sexy barbarian lady with midriff or a sexy mage lady with middriff.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

wtf nobody told me books can have pictures

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stfu about this stupid nerd poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KomradeX posted:

Unrelated I've been wanting to go and watch Game Center CX but I can't find it streaming anywhere online abs handset felt like subbing to a VPN so I could :filez: it

To be fair, you can also play as a heroic park ranger or CDC scientist.

And most of the Deep State is portrayed as pretty drat evil.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

park rangers treat bears and wolves in exactly the same way that cops treat black people. they're the same loving thing

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

park rangers treat bears and wolves in exactly the same way that cops treat black people. they're the same loving thing

Rangers have far more restraint around bears and wolves than cops around black people

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

now squirrels otoh

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Agean90 posted:

Rangers have far more restraint around bears and wolves than cops around black people

this is sort of the joke

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/thSyniez/status/1169840671185702914

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

turn off the TV posted:

Stfu about this stupid nerd poo poo

Yea lets get back to talking about mechwarrior which is for cool kids.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Meme Emulator posted:

:agreed:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meme Emulator posted:

Mechwarrior is very loving cool, yeah

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I got the Gabriel Knight games because they were on sale and I heard they were good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

Update wow light mechs all suck rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It would have been nice if they let you bring things by total tonnage.