Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cleans the residue from spilled liquids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Merijn posted:

I have never heard of this solution. What does it solve? Does it work?

a #2 pencil eraser does a pretty much perfect job of cleaning corrosion off of the contacts, which can obviously clear up weird memory errors where everything is actually good.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Merijn posted:

Pencil erasers are slightly abrasive. They do a fantastic job of cleaning up lightly corroded/oxidized electrical contacts. It's a method I've used before to actually fix problems surprisingly.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.

Merijn posted:

I've seen this done on ancient hardware back in the 90s to fix memory errors on old built into the wooden desk CAD computers.

I miss that machine with it's 8 inch floppies and the ancient plotter that effectively had ink pens for its ink system.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Soooo. I am in Ventura doing this computer migration and laptop flip for a 150 person office. The guy who owns and runs the local MSP we use was here in the office with me. I was talking to him and he stopped responding. I went and did a thing, came back and he was kinda acting strange (He has Diabeetus and I thought he was having low blood sugar). He was not responding so I ended up calling 911.

He had a stroke, they took him to the hospital. He's okay now, talking to his kids and has feeling in his hands.

Holy gently caress that was terrifying. Take care of yourselves people.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of something that happened a few weeks ago - head of IT services, heavy smoker, briefly stopped breathing; I was the nearest first aider, but since I was new I hadn't been added to the first aider list... which was across the floor in the breakroom, where the guy who found him ran to... and the other first aiders on the list weren't around.

He was fine by the time I found out and got over to him, but gently caress. Make sure your first aid plans are up to date, and that you know who's trained, because remembering that poo poo in an emergency is a lot tougher than in a bullshit yearly drill.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Today at noon, our company is launching an internal service to allow employees (and not contractors) from our company and our parent company to fly standby on our planes for effectively cost. I am on edge about this because anything less than a perfect launch will likely mean some people will lose their jobs (this service was supposed to have been set up over a year ago).

Today at 10AM, our offshore helpdesk deleted the Azure AD group that the internal service uses to verify whether the person is authorized to access the site (e.g. is an employee vs is a contractor).

Cue: full on panic attack.

Thankfully it wasn't too difficult to rebuild using dynamic membership rules, but gently caress you Microsoft for not making groups like these recoverable and gently caress you helpdesk for choosing today of all days to gently caress up. Now the painstaking process of re-adding all of the authorized applications, but that can take a few days without anyone putting up too much of a fuss.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The AD recycle bin for on prem AD has saved my rear end a few times.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenNight posted:

The AD recycle bin for on prem AD has saved my rear end a few times.

Conversely, it has enabled my boss to restore all the bad things and severely fuckup shared email boxes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Does Azure AD not have the recycle bin? Fuuuuuuuck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Does Azure AD not have the recycle bin? Fuuuuuuuck.

There are "Deleted Users" and "Deleted Groups" but it is not quite as universal as the AD recycle bin.

For example, currently "Deleted Groups" only supports O365 groups, so if you had a AAD Dynamic group and it got deleted...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It would be nice to have IAM roles on a per-group basis to lock people out of critical groups

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Fool posted:

There are "Deleted Users" and "Deleted Groups" but it is not quite as universal as the AD recycle bin.

For example, currently "Deleted Groups" only supports O365 groups, so if you had a AAD Dynamic group and it got deleted...

I though dynamic groups were ephemeral in that they're created for specific tasks and can disappear or delete (vs a conventional AD distribution group).

Then again my concepts for dynamic groups come from my exchange 2010 training.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

incoherent posted:

I though dynamic groups were ephemeral in that they're created for specific tasks and can disappear or delete (vs a conventional AD distribution group).

Then again my concepts for dynamic groups come from my exchange 2010 training.

Sorry, when I said Dynamic Group I meant Security Group with Dynamic Membership.

So if you have a group with complicated membership rules and then accidentally delete it, good luck.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Well then, I totally expect this to bite me in the rear end in the future.

*jots down notes* setup task powershell export everything to .csv every day

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Just store those csvs on a Buffalo USB drive. Those can't fail.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

[...] Security Group with Dynamic Membership.

So if you have a group with complicated membership rules and then accidentally delete it, good luck.
Bingo.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Two years ago at a prior job there was an issue with our SAN controllers crashing due to a network loop, causing pretty much all our services to go down for ~3 days. Classes had to be canceled and students were unable to register, so it was a big deal. Administration brought in a group to audit the IT department.

Fast forward to today, I'm trying to find my previous manager's title and decided to use the employee directory. Couldn't find his listing, so I expanded the search to the IT department but I couldn't find ANY listing. Did some more looking around, found a press release stating that the entire IT department (~30 people) was outsourced earlier this year.

:rip:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Two years ago at a prior job there was an issue with our SAN controllers crashing due to a network loop, causing pretty much all our services to go down for ~3 days. Classes had to be canceled and students were unable to register, so it was a big deal. Administration brought in a group to audit the IT department.

Fast forward to today, I'm trying to find my previous manager's title and decided to use the employee directory. Couldn't find his listing, so I expanded the search to the IT department but I couldn't find ANY listing. Did some more looking around, found a press release stating that the entire IT department (~30 people) was outsourced earlier this year.

:rip:

Sounds fair to be honest. 3 days for a not so complicated issue shows a level of incompetency that is kind of a burden.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Renegret posted:

gently caress you, you don't get to see that I looked at your e-mail. No way in hell you're going to use that against me when I choose to ignore you.

I do this but I also request explicit received and read receipts for all messages.

:hehe:

E: And I have a rule to auto-delete the receipts because: gently caress reading through those.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 1, 2019

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sickening posted:

Sounds fair to be honest. 3 days for a not so complicated issue shows a level of incompetency that is kind of a burden.

So in conclusion make your fuckup a "wipe the school out through SCCM" level, not "gently caress up the registration period" level.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

incoherent posted:

So in conclusion make your fuckup a "wipe the school out through SCCM" level, not "gently caress up the registration period" level.

Reading that story always warms my heart. :allears:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

less than three posted:

Reading that story always warms my heart. :allears:

Someone do the needful and post this! I haven't seen it in a few years.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Iron Rose posted:

Basically it's entirely possible to publish a SCCM boot script that effectively DBAN's any machine set to PXE boot automagically without user intervention, which apparently was 'literally everything, including servers'. Whoopsie!

Edit: And you can force it to reboot and run via the SCCM main console if you're feeling sufficiently froggy and/or day-drunk.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

If only they'd written a PowerShell script to create the group in the first place.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

If only they'd written a PowerShell script to create the group in the first place.
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but it sounds like you're suggesting we write PowerShell scripts with hardcoded values (the dynamic group generation rules) and then commit them to a Git repo or something?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Season 6 of The Wire sounding pretty good:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/whats-a-backup-baltimore-city-it-kept-data-on-local-drives/

quote:

In a report to a committee of the Baltimore City Council last week, City Auditor Josh Pasch said that the city's Information Technology department could not provide any documentation of its work toward meeting agency performance goals because the only copies of that data were kept on local hard drives and never backed up to a server or the cloud.

The lost data, Pasch said, resulted in a "loss of confidence" in whether the IT department was accomplishing anything on its to-do list.

City Councilman Eric T. Costello interrupted the testimony to interject, "That can't be right? That's real?... Wow. That's mind-boggling to me."

In a written statement to the committee, Baltimore City Chief Information Officer Frank Johnson acknowledged the findings of the audit and said that his agency would work to improve the department's data-storage practices. Johnson, however, is on "extended leave" from the agency. It is widely believed he will not return, according to sources in Baltimore City government who spoke to Ars Technica.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

nexxai posted:

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but it sounds like you're suggesting we write PowerShell scripts with hardcoded values (the dynamic group generation rules) and then commit them to a Git repo or something?

"Make a ps script to create each dyn group, with logging so you can be able to redo in case of failure or azure ad deletion."

This is what i think he meant

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

quote:

City Councilman Eric T. Costello interrupted the testimony to interject, "That can't be right? That's real?... Wow. That's mind-boggling to me."

I bet $10 that city councilman voted to slash IT's funding

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Corruption in Baltimore? Surely you jest.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Wait. Why does the HelpDesk, which in my mind is the first-level picks up the phone when something breaks line of support, have rights to delete things like that?

Oh, silly me, xsf and I both know that setting up proper permissions is an afterthought, and what kind of consequences that can have.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That Baltimore story is some real "yes I did my homework but then the computer crashed" stuff

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Some super genius Windows engineer decided that the "Windows PowerShell" entry in the right-click-start-button menu should not point to powershell.exe but to the PowerShell shortcut in the Start menu. If you move or delete that shortcut the menu item breaks.

:negative:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's .lnk's all the way down

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Wait. Why does the HelpDesk, which in my mind is the first-level picks up the phone when something breaks line of support, have rights to delete things like that?

Oh, silly me, xsf and I both know that setting up proper permissions is an afterthought, and what kind of consequences that can have.

Proper permissions are for companies that don't move fast enough or break enough things. (oh god our cloud stuff is a mess)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Iron Rose posted:

The original University post is gone but

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-78/aggressive-configmgr-based-windows-7-deployment-takes-down-emory-university

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

Proper permissions are for companies that don't move fast enough or break enough things. (oh god our cloud stuff is a mess)

Nah, it's all fine.

Wait. Splunk crashed out the whole DockerEE environment last week.

Never mind.

Edit: JFC this place is loving imploding.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 2, 2019

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Our reservations system is rather old and cumbersome, so 9 years ago when one of our business units needed to use the reservation information in new and exciting ways, the company built them a stand-alone application instead of trying to wedge it into the existing system.

Said application gets a daily update from the reservations system, which is supposed to include everything for the current year and all future years. Last week we noticed that the application wasn't receiving any updates for 2020, so we asked the developers who work on the reservations system to investigate.

Well, it turns out that when the reservations system checks to see what information to hand over, it's only looking at the last digit of the year. So since 0 is less than 9, it didn't think it had any reservations to hand over. Also, when the year rolls over to 2020 it will start sending us reservations from the past, because at that point it will see the current year is 0 and think it needs to give us 2011, 2012, etc.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The Y2K problem all over again.

What was old, comes new again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted: