Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

devmd01 posted:

But you could have!

He might not like that particular type of tip, though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could have ended up getting shafted

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Ahhhh, the puns are cumming along, nicely.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

This really should include "2,147,483,648" somewhere in the setup though?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

This really should include "2,147,483,648" somewhere in the setup though?

Wouldn't the 99,999,999,999 test cover that case?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PremiumSupport posted:

Wouldn't the 99,999,999,999 test cover that case?

Maybe, maybe not.

I'm thinking of the crash bug in Dreamweaver when a file was an exact multiple of 8k.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

chin up everything sucks posted:

A third one was blind and lonely and kept calling in to try and reach a female tech (we only had a few) to get help setting up his online dating profile. We actually had to eventually ban this person from calling it.

Yeah, that is really sad when it happens. One former job I had was the customer support line for a commercial TV company who provided pay channels to antenna TV. There was this one old guy who would call, hang up on hearing a male voice and asking any female-sounding person "do you want to be my friend?". Sometimes he would not call for a week and then he would call 10 times in a night.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Somewhere in DC, a ticket probably just came in:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1176890146567983104

:lol:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Whenever I see a recalled e-mail in my inbox, it just makes me more interested in it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Renegret posted:

Whenever I see a recalled e-mail in my inbox, it just makes me more interested in it.

That is all its for at this point. IT has so little actual use. Its like setting something as low priority, it stands out way more.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

Agreed. The first thing I did when setting up my email box was to turn off the auto-processing of recall requests.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Nemo2342 posted:

Agreed. The first thing I did when setting up my email box was to turn off the auto-processing of recall requests.

I also auto-reject sending read receipts.

gently caress you, you don't get to see that I looked at your e-mail. No way in hell you're going to use that against me when I choose to ignore you.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The single way to guarantee your email is read by the majority of people,, us to issue a recall notice after sending

I wouldn't read it otherwise, but now you DONT want me to read it? I'm memorizing it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sickening posted:

That is all its for at this point. IT has so little actual use. Its like setting something as low priority, it stands out way more.

Exactly. Just like setting something high priority makes me less likely to respond in a timely manner.

The email debacle from the WH today has been endlessly entertaining in many of the various Slacks I'm in.

It needed a "Remove me from this list" reply all to really push me over the edge, though.

Roundboy posted:

The single way to guarantee your email is read by the majority of people,, us to issue a recall notice after sending

I wouldn't read it otherwise, but now you DONT want me to read it? I'm memorizing it.

Friend of mine had the exact same name, different email address, as one of his co-workers at an old job. Someone WAY up in the company sent an email to him with shittons of confidential information (executive salaries, etc), and then tried to recall it. "You better believe I read the gently caress out of everything in that message".

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 26, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sickening posted:

IT has so little actual use.
woah, check your capitalisation there

Renegret posted:

I also auto-reject sending read receipts.

gently caress you, you don't get to see that I looked at your e-mail. No way in hell you're going to use that against me when I choose to ignore you.
I left that on but turned off automatically-mark-as-read.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Read receipts are never not used for some petty reason. I have a coworker who sets it on for every e-mail. Auto-deny read receipt is the only way to function.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

Friend of mine had the exact same name, different email address, as one of his co-workers at an old job. Someone WAY up in the company sent an email to him with shittons of confidential information (executive salaries, etc), and then tried to recall it. "You better believe I read the gently caress out of everything in that message".

Definitely been there. I've got the same first name, first initial of my last name as one of the high high up finance guys. Every now and then someone wouldn't pay attention to their autocomplete and send me things like plans for capital projects. The best part was that this was before we were on Outlook so they couldn't even recall the emails, just politely ask me to please delete everything and not read it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's one thing that people miss about GroupWise. You could recall and it would actually delete it from the other persons mail box.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

I left that on but turned off automatically-mark-as-read.

Clever, but I don't know if it works in Exchange/O365. I've noticed that when I pull down my messages with Thunderbird and keep them marked unread but then subsequently log into the O365 webclient (or visa versa), those emails won't prompt a read receipt request on the second platform.

I imagine Exchange tracks "low-key: we know that this message has been accessed" in addition to "marked read or unread by arbitrary user decisions."

I'm wondering how it interacts with exchange policies that silently force automatic read receipts on intradomain emails. I suspect one of our executives has such a policy running for their benefit, because I don't get send-receipt prompts on any messages from them in O365, but the disposition-notice request is always in the headers and I see the prompts in Thunderbird. Also, they sent a reply email quoting a receipt from me, one time, and I'm drat skippy I didn't deliberately send one to them. Question is: do they get the receipts when an IMAP client pulls the message, or only when I actually mark it as read or O365 certifies that the email has indeed been displayed in it's environment?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know if it still does this, but at least a few years ago, the native iOS mail client would automatically (and silently) send read receipts if they were requested. There was no way to disable that "feature."

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sickening posted:

It's a handy paper trail though. That way when Captain Dumbass makes a decision based on the email you recalled, you get to say, "I recalled the incorrect information, and my later update also said to disregard the previous information."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Macaroni posted:

It's a handy paper trail though. That way when Captain Dumbass makes a decision based on the email you recalled, you get to say, "I recalled the incorrect information, and my later update also said to disregard the previous information."

I don't think that is the proper way to go about it. If an email went out that needs to go away, you delete the email on the exchange level by the folks who know how to do that. If you feel you need to follow up with communication to the affected parties for transparency, great. Recall is completely useless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Eikre posted:

Clever, but I don't know if it works in Exchange/O365. I've noticed that when I pull down my messages with Thunderbird and keep them marked unread but then subsequently log into the O365 webclient (or visa versa), those emails won't prompt a read receipt request on the second platform.

I imagine Exchange tracks "low-key: we know that this message has been accessed" in addition to "marked read or unread by arbitrary user decisions."

I'm wondering how it interacts with exchange policies that silently force automatic read receipts on intradomain emails. I suspect one of our executives has such a policy running for their benefit, because I don't get send-receipt prompts on any messages from them in O365, but the disposition-notice request is always in the headers and I see the prompts in Thunderbird. Also, they sent a reply email quoting a receipt from me, one time, and I'm drat skippy I didn't deliberately send one to them. Question is: do they get the receipts when an IMAP client pulls the message, or only when I actually mark it as read or O365 certifies that the email has indeed been displayed in it's environment?
I know it works in the Outlook client because every quarter I'll mark all my emails as read before moving them to archive and my boss complains about all the read notification spams he gets as a result. I suspect the web 365 version automatically 'behaves' itself and sends read receipts as soon as it displays the email to you.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
When Gmail didn't have read receipts, my company wrote an extension to add them :v:

Gmail: We say it's Enterprise Ready! What that means is up to you!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

When Gmail didn't have read receipts, my company wrote an extension to add them :v:

Gmail: We say it's Enterprise Ready! What that means is up to you!

Google is 100% Enterprise Ready!

Only if your enterprise is actually google.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

People need to use low-priority emails more. I send them all the time, especially stuff that I send late in the day (I'm 10am-6pm) for "I don't want to forget to ask you this tomorrow" type stuff, or "just an FYI" type stuff.

I set up an auto-reply to all high-priority emails, just to force the people who send me that poo poo to read it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Got report that a machine was crashing with random BSODs, always a different error. This normally means something with memory, but it passed memory tests. Event Viewer full of disk errors. Re-seated everything. Swapped SSD, problems still there. Couldn't run BurnItTest for more than 2 minutes.

On a whim, took a pencil eraser to contacts on the RAM stick to make them super shiny... Problem solved! Machine has been running BurnInTest for over an hour now without a single error. WTF

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Someone spilled something and won't tell you.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What is up with HP (and it's only HP) printer software installers? Why do they always take like 20 minutes to install a printer driver? What are they doing in there? I've experienced this for years, every place I've worked, around eight in ten installations will sit there on the setup screen forever. I'm surprised I don't hear more people talk about this. Less surprised that it hasn't been fixed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What is up with HP (and it's only HP) printer software installers? Why do they always take like 20 minutes to install a printer driver? What are they doing in there? I've experienced this for years, every place I've worked, around eight in ten installations will sit there on the setup screen forever. I'm surprised I don't hear more people talk about this. Less surprised that it hasn't been fixed.

I manage all the HP printers here (40 or so printers) and I don't install the software. The drivers get installed automatically from the print server. It takes less than 10 seconds. If I'm installing a local HP printer, I just choose the inf file.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

To be fair, the average printer driver bundle is now 2TB in size.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

To be fair, the average printer driver bundle is now 2TB in size.

Love to download gigs of data to go fish for the couple kb file that I actually wanted.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

What is up with HP (and it's only HP) printer software installers?

It's installing a lot of backend stuff to ensure you only use HP cartridges, shame you if you don't, and pop up helpful reminders to buy new HP ink from the HP store when your ink levels hit about 65%. It also installs a photo manager and Scan-To-Computer funtionality (that doesnt work great) for any model with a scanner.

Go get the Basic Driver Package off their website and never install another full HP package again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Guess the eraser wasn't the magic fix... Machine started showing disk errors again, with a brand new SSD.

Giving up on it.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

stevewm posted:

Guess the eraser wasn't the magic fix... Machine started showing disk errors again, with a brand new SSD.

Giving up on it.

Tried swapping the RAM sticks?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

TRIGGER WARNING, dumb jokes by goons: Also reminder about the goon that found it funny to swap out the SATA cable with a known faulty one.

Do you work with any goons?

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 27, 2019

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

stevewm posted:

Giving up on it.

Sun spots. :colbert:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PremiumSupport posted:

Tried swapping the RAM sticks?

Yea, no good.

Shitload of disk errors, no matter what disk is used. Takes multiple attempts to boot the Windows installer.. Its a Lenovo Tiny system and they use a proprietary SATA cable. Tried stealing one out of another system; no dice.

I'm calling it ded.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

stevewm posted:

Yea, no good.

Shitload of disk errors, no matter what disk is used. Takes multiple attempts to boot the Windows installer.. Its a Lenovo Tiny system and they use a proprietary SATA cable. Tried stealing one out of another system; no dice.

I'm calling it ded.

Yeah, sounds like it's the mainboard then. Not worth pursuing much further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

stevewm posted:

On a whim, took a pencil eraser to contacts on the RAM stick to make them super shiny...

I have never heard of this solution. What does it solve? Does it work?