Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Lawman 0 posted:

Is it a good idea to give everyone jump jets

No. Sometimes it's good to give jump jets to your sniper or missile boat mech because they can jump up to high places and get accuracy bonuses. There's a few brawler mechs who get a lot of mileage out of jump jets too, so it's something you can experiment with. The Grasshopper especially benefits immensely from jumpjets, because you can have a full range of movement and still brace in cover instead of being bogged down by movement penalties in trees.

A general campaign tip I'd also like to give: the game will bait you into thinking it's a good idea to run missions against pirates for the extra money, but you'll get way more mileage out of having good relations with pirates so you can get lower prices on the black market. What's actually completely risk free is doing missions against planetary governments. Planetary governments don't have their own reputation values, so you can beat up on them as much as you want and they'll never deny market access or stop giving you contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

I got the Gabriel Knight games because they were on sale and I heard they were good.

Of course, the most infamous puzzle in the game – highlighted by this Old Man Murray article – is the one where Gabriel needs to impersonate Mosely in order to rent a moped. The first step is to steal his passport, which is done by placing a piece of candy in the hallway and snagging it from his pants while he’s busy unwrapping the treat. This in itself is weird, but not the oddest part of the puzzle. Anyway, Gabriel and Mosely look nothing alike. The logical step would be to find something to take a photo of Gabriel and then replace in the passport, but no, that would be too easy. (Strangely, you actually get a computer that makes fake IDs, but that doesn’t happen until later.) So, the first step is to steal his yellow jacket. Next, you need to hide the fact that Gabriel isn’t bald, so you need to find a hat. Then you grab a magic marker and draw a mustache on the passport photo to obscure the face. Now, Gabriel himself doesn’t have a mustache either, so you need to find a local alley cat, stick a piece of masking tape on a hole in a door, spray the cat with a water bottle in order to make it run through said hole, pick up the cat hair stuck to the tape, and then apply it to Gabriel’s face using a packet of syrup found in the dining room.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mr. Dick posted:

Transpeople can live their lives however the gently caress they want, if Mr. Dick didn't believe this, he wouldn't be posting in leftist subs.

Mr. Dick is, however, positing that gender reassignment and hormonal therapies are modern solutions to uniquely modern problems. In the same way that SSRIs are a modern solution to a uniquely modern problem. It is offered as theory, if you object, offer reasons for your objections other than feigned incredulity.

I was born the wrong sex you loving moron

sorry, I mean I was born the wrong sex Mr. Dick

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

Of course, the most infamous puzzle in the game – highlighted by this Old Man Murray article – is the one where Gabriel needs to impersonate Mosely in order to rent a moped. The first step is to steal his passport, which is done by placing a piece of candy in the hallway and snagging it from his pants while he’s busy unwrapping the treat. This in itself is weird, but not the oddest part of the puzzle. Anyway, Gabriel and Mosely look nothing alike. The logical step would be to find something to take a photo of Gabriel and then replace in the passport, but no, that would be too easy. (Strangely, you actually get a computer that makes fake IDs, but that doesn’t happen until later.) So, the first step is to steal his yellow jacket. Next, you need to hide the fact that Gabriel isn’t bald, so you need to find a hat. Then you grab a magic marker and draw a mustache on the passport photo to obscure the face. Now, Gabriel himself doesn’t have a mustache either, so you need to find a local alley cat, stick a piece of masking tape on a hole in a door, spray the cat with a water bottle in order to make it run through said hole, pick up the cat hair stuck to the tape, and then apply it to Gabriel’s face using a packet of syrup found in the dining room.

Hell yeah cant wait

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No. Sometimes it's good to give jump jets to your sniper or missile boat mech because they can jump up to high places and get accuracy bonuses. There's a few brawler mechs who get a lot of mileage out of jump jets too, so it's something you can experiment with. The Grasshopper especially benefits immensely from jumpjets, because you can have a full range of movement and still brace in cover instead of being bogged down by movement penalties in trees.

A general campaign tip I'd also like to give: the game will bait you into thinking it's a good idea to run missions against pirates for the extra money, but you'll get way more mileage out of having good relations with pirates so you can get lower prices on the black market. What's actually completely risk free is doing missions against planetary governments. Planetary governments don't have their own reputation values, so you can beat up on them as much as you want and they'll never deny market access or stop giving you contracts.

Dang that's a good as hell tip.
Thanks pk

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Taintrunner posted:

Mechwarrior is very loving cool, yeah

I wasnt being sarcastic

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lawman 0 posted:

Dang that's a good as hell tip.
Thanks pk

Also, don't buy mechwarrior parts or completed mechs off the market. You'll get their parts salvaged eventually. The only exception is for Atlas and Stalker parts. Atlases are really rare, and getting a Stalker early can really change the game because the Stalker is the only mech that can fit in 4 LRM 20s if you want to go really crazy.

e: Black Knights are also pretty rare. Black Knight may be a heavy mech, but it also has the most energy hardpoints. So you could run a M laser or L Laser black knight in the late game and it'll still hold its own.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Oct 1, 2019

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I bought battletech at launch and it maxed out my 970 and blue screened my pc

Dec 26, 2012

LGD posted:

Pathfinder 2E is not really a D&D 4E successor, but much to my surprise by all appearances it is good

its weird/hard to see the words "Pathfinder" and not react with visceral revulsion

e: like I cannot emphasize enough how much more respect they deserve for the way they handled their playtest and iterative design process vs. D&D 5E

yeah i wouldn't really say it's like 4e so much as a hybrid of 3.5/4/5

been running it a few weeks, it works pretty well so far (alchemist kinda sucks but that's my biggest complaint other than book layout)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

Let's not blame that on the 970 though, God's own video card

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Terminal autist posted:

performance is much better now but the load times are still nuts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im finding that pk was right, the double damage reduction skill is essentially to cost effective soirees, in my previous game from back at launch basically none of my pilots had that skill and all my midgame vicitories were barely over phyrric because of it

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

noita is fun and addictive as hell but also very unfinished feeling so I think im gonna shelf it for now and come back when it’s out for reals

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beat the Infinite Warfare campaign again, fuckin' hell is that a ton of fun. Love their weird military hard sci-fi universe and would kill for a sequel.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the sci fi call of duties are all very good, the more sci fi the better. black ops 2? pretty lame, not really a lot of cyber stuff happening. black ops 3 is some kind of low rent ghost in the shell plot, its insane. advanced warfare is pretty fun to play with the mobility but i found the story lame beyond the press f meme. i havent done infinite warfare but it has a space fighter carrier in orbit so how can it possibly be bad.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larry Parrish posted:

i havent done infinite warfare but it has a space fighter carrier in orbit so how can it possibly be bad.

It's the best of the 3 you listed honestly, you get to fly and do wallrunning and hack robots and other dumb poo poo. decent story too with a great amount of spectacle

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just realized the music changes when you change fighting styles in yakuza

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

are the warring houses in mechwarrior supposed to be more like medieval german princes or more like warring italian renaissance families

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For a random CSPAM recommendation I've enjoyed playing expeditions Vikings.

Has some annoying elements like constant loading screens/loving annoying enemy archers but I enjoyed things like capturing filthy thralls to help build up your town.

Also has a variety of skills, traps and weapons to keep things interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBSIbQaEO-4

etalian has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Oct 1, 2019

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: wrong thrad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

are the warring houses in mechwarrior supposed to be more like medieval german princes or more like warring italian renaissance families

german, french, japanese, a couple of others

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

They're more like royal French families ruling over unruly barons. Some factions have more or less variations among their planetary governments. The closest thing to a liberal democracy in the setting is the Taurian Concordat, which is sort of like if the United States was a constitutional monarchy.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

man MechWarrior 2 had great music

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Let's not blame that on the 970 though, God's own video card

It really reminds me of my old 9800 Pro from back in the day, that fuckin thing took everything I threw at it for what felt like years and years

No real desire to upgrade from my 970 anytime soon

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good soup! posted:

man MechWarrior 2 had great music

I'm gonna pick it up when it goes on sale

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I watched the intro video for Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries so much as a kid it's permanently seared into my brain. Not just from playing it myself, but because it was always on the display PCs at Wal Mart, Sears, or RadioShack

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah the 970 owns. I finally upgraded to the 1660 or whatever so I could slap my 970 in my gfs pc and now we can play Dark Souls 3 together without all the terrain being invisible for her during the wyvern boss run

But that lil guy is a workhorse

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
I got my 970 brand new for like 300 a couple of years ago right before bitcoin mining took off and caused to price to jump up like 100 dollars for a year or some poo poo. It will still max out most games 60 fps 1080p. Cant really seeing myself upgrading anytime soon

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I got a 970 Twin Frozr myself for a similar price. You can't even find those things on the market anymore. At this point I'd only think of upgrading if I'm going to buy in to VR.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lol remember when nvidia was like "were really concerned about how much money were making with this price gouging, dw well definitely choose to make less money rather than more in future lmao" and all the journos were like hmm yes

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

the sci fi call of duties are all very good, the more sci fi the better. black ops 2? pretty lame, not really a lot of cyber stuff happening. black ops 3 is some kind of low rent ghost in the shell plot, its insane. advanced warfare is pretty fun to play with the mobility but i found the story lame beyond the press f meme. i havent done infinite warfare but it has a space fighter carrier in orbit so how can it possibly be bad.

infinite warfare has by far the best campaign of any call of duty and is probably worth picking up on a discount for that alone

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

although evil jon snow is ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfTErqYqkeM

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Infinite wars opening was the most fascist thing I've ever seen and... As far as I can tell unironic?
It opens with you in Geneva (GET IT?) with all the military talking about how the politicians are holding them BACK and the degenerate cowards want peace. Naturally they are right and the classic yank plot of "theyr using our Arab killing superweapons against... Us????" kicks in.

Jon snow is the villain but agrees with the thrust of the plot that warrior brotherhoods are shackled by human rights but he doesn't love his warrior brothers so he's impure.
The prologue bit is you playing some goodie soldiers killing poo poo loads of his men and blowing up some industry or something and then your two men get killed on the mission which is EVIL

I didn't play past that tho

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is something really insidious about jontron having a cute cartoon picture of himself to promote videos while talking about how other peoples babies can't replace the white race

very walt disney of him now that i think about it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jontron being so loving stupid that he unforcedly outed himself as a white supremacist because he doesn't know what his own views mean was one of the highpoints of gamer culture imo
Also thinking Japan is a model society cause they make his toys

I stopped watching him after that, I assume he doubled down?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Infinite wars opening was the most fascist thing I've ever seen and... As far as I can tell unironic?
It opens with you in Geneva (GET IT?) with all the military talking about how the politicians are holding them BACK and the degenerate cowards want peace. Naturally they are right and the classic yank plot of "theyr using our Arab killing superweapons against... Us????" kicks in.

Jon snow is the villain but agrees with the thrust of the plot that warrior brotherhoods are shackled by human rights but he doesn't love his warrior brothers so he's impure.
The prologue bit is you playing some goodie soldiers killing poo poo loads of his men and blowing up some industry or something and then your two men get killed on the mission which is EVIL

I didn't play past that tho

all the earth ships get blown up except yours, and then the game becomes star fox

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i think he's tried to weasel out of it a few times, but can't imagine he's capable of introspection so it's not gonna stick

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I stopped watching him after that, I assume he doubled down?

tbh i never watched him but i get his video recommendations constantly and considering the only video i did watch of him was the white babies one it skeevs me the gently caress out seeing that cute cartoon

i mean that poo poo looks like builder bob or something else targeted for babies except with views on white genocide

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So that twee little RPG, Heartbeat, I posted about earlier decided to double down spectacularly on the whole “dev is expressing transphobic opinions” thing by offering a 41% discount on the game and soundtrack, as a reference to some study saying 41% of trans people attempt suicide. Seems lovely and I’m depressed no one can do anything about it (like basically every bad thing I see), but at the same time it is still very funny to me that some anime pervert is getting so aggressive despite making something on the emotional maturity level of a Barney episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bro Dad posted:

although evil jon snow is ridiculous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfTErqYqkeM

even better, conor loving mcgregor is the guy who punches you in the face in that scene

and then like almost immediately after poo poo pops off you loving waste him by putting a blast charge on the windows of his battleship bridge