Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I'm sure that those of you that thought those Marvel cartoons were good watched them when you were real young and fell in love with them. Nothing wrong with that as I have cartoons I fell in love with too as a kid that are no doubt complete garbage and way worse than the Marvel cartoons of the '90s. I didn't watch them as a kid though, I revisited them years later when I was in my late teens and they just weren't very good. They were bland and stilted and the animation was terrible.

I think the stilted part is the most important part here. Like, the VAs may not be the best ever but I think the biggest problem by far is the gratuitous amount of awkward pauses in dialogue. Spider-Man's not nearly as bad as X-Men but both are littered with them. I don't know or more accurately can't be bothered to look them up who was the problem, the director or the editor or both, but I feel like with some decent editing you could make the shows like 10x better without having to record new lines. That said, yeah there's a lot that's just plain bad (like the black suit or Storm constantly overacting or biggest of all the animation) but I feel like with some decent voice direction you could make the shows worlds better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time.

Batman: the Animated Series was originally intended as a primetime show suitable for family watching, rather than specifically a kid's cartoon. But the general attitude toward animation prevailed so it became a kid's cartoon and the rest of the DCAU followed suit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

Plus the weird choice to hold back Osborn until really late in the run so you have the Hobgoblin coming first. And the fact that the contemporary comics were kind of a mess, so they do poo poo like the clones and 6-armed Spidey. (Black Cat getting the super soldier serum does predate the more modern 'every frickin' experiment is an attempt to recreate Cap' trend, though.)

Clones yes, but six-armed Spidey was from the early 70s. The series was good for adapting stories from the full history of the comics up to that point. I don't think any series is going to surpass it for that kind of thing. Spectacular may have had it continued.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time. DC cartoons at around that time were all iconic period pieces while Mavel's cartoons were all messy soap operas with vague general access to absurdly futuristic technology. It ages less well, but it's definitely exciting.

I hope that Barnes was paid well for his work on the cartoon, because so many episodes are just marathons of him recapping, quipping, explaining, and reacting. 90s Spiderman just couldn't brood in silence.

Gargoyles often had real guns too, even if it did also include plenty of more sci-fi stuff too(though it actually bothered to explain where that stuff came from rather than have it appear out of nowhere)

Gaz-L posted:

Some producers of content for kids are convinced that if there's not dialogue at all times that the little darlings' eyes will glaze over and the TV magically shuts off.

This is especially apparent in the several seasons of Power Rangers made between Saban buying the rights back and him selling the franchise to Hasbro

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

TwoPair posted:

I think the stilted part is the most important part here. Like, the VAs may not be the best ever but I think the biggest problem by far is the gratuitous amount of awkward pauses in dialogue. Spider-Man's not nearly as bad as X-Men but both are littered with them. I don't know or more accurately can't be bothered to look them up who was the problem, the director or the editor or both, but I feel like with some decent editing you could make the shows like 10x better without having to record new lines. That said, yeah there's a lot that's just plain bad (like the black suit or Storm constantly overacting or biggest of all the animation) but I feel like with some decent voice direction you could make the shows worlds better.

If it's anything like the DiC dub for Sailor Moon, then it likely came down to it costing too much to do multiple takes and not doing table reads. The original VA for Serena/Sailor Moon was also the voice director for the show and she got sacked after 14 or so episodes because she was costing the studio too much money for doing multiple takes for dialogue.

I think I remember hearing that the Ocean dub for DBZ had similar issues but there were a whole lot of other hosed up things going on with the initial dub.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Gargoyles often had real guns too, even if it did also include plenty of more sci-fi stuff too(though it actually bothered to explain where that stuff came from rather than have it appear out of nowhere)

Gargoyles even went far enough to explain that the laser beams from their sci-fi guns weren't actually the thing doing the damage, but just for aiming the actual, invisible beam that was blowing stuff up

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aces High posted:

I think I remember hearing that the Ocean dub for DBZ had similar issues but there were a whole lot of other hosed up things going on with the initial dub.

I'm really interested in hearing more about this but this isn't anime chat. Is there an article or YouTube video or something about this?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm really interested in hearing more about this but this isn't anime chat. Is there an article or YouTube video or something about this?

I think there are multiple youtube videos about the Ocean dub of DBZ.

Here's a big preview of some of the changes. Hell became HFIL, the Home For Infinite Losers, and they photoshopped the letters in every scene they were in. When helicopters or fighter jets got blown up by bad guys, they dubbed over an off screen character talking about seeing parachutes and literally reassuring that the pilots were OK (more than once.) All mentions of the after life were replaced with "THE NEXT DIMENSION", and halos over dead characters were removed/replaced.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 22, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Don’t forget an entire city being blown up, but nobody dying because it was a Sunday and no one was at work. :haw:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Bbu7oGgcY

Rest in peace sweet cargo robot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SHOCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEE I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!

Vandar posted:

It's because they went for the 1920s aesthetic and were able to argue that no child is going to just find a tommy gun lying around somewhere in their house. :allears:

Early '90s Warner Brothers was the last time we really saw a big name studio let a production staff run wild on a cartoon (which is ironic considering it was arguably the height of parental hysteria re: kid's TV). This is how we got Rupert Thorne pulling realistic handguns on Bats, and jokes like this.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ToastyPotato posted:

Hell became HFIL, the Home For Infinite Losers, and they photoshopped the letters in every scene they were in.

I always thought that was actually an improvement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was Hell in DBZ even depicted as that bad of a place? I know in Super they showed Frieza being tormented by cutesy celebrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Was Hell in DBZ even depicted as that bad of a place? I know in Super they showed Frieza being tormented by cutesy celebrations.

Hell is apparently just a place you hang out for a bit until your soul gets purified enough to get reborn.

Frieza is a unique case because he's such a shithead his soul won't get purified.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do have weird nostalgia feelings for old no-budget dubs that didn't know what they were doing. It kinda enhances a show that's already pretty cheesy. OK KO had a couple nods to old localizations, but I wish it had more.

90s X-Men was really over the top with all the screaming and yelling and orgasms, but it really fits with the drama that they were trying to do. I still like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlothfulCobra posted:

90s X-Men was really over the top with all the screaming and yelling and orgasms, but it really fits with the drama that they were trying to do. I still like it.

MOOORRRRRRRRRRPH

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Somehow Batman was the last cartoon allowed to have realistic guns for a long time. DC cartoons at around that time were all iconic period pieces while Mavel's cartoons were all messy soap operas with vague general access to absurdly futuristic technology. It ages less well, but it's definitely exciting.

I hope that Barnes was paid well for his work on the cartoon, because so many episodes are just marathons of him recapping, quipping, explaining, and reacting. 90s Spiderman just couldn't brood in silence.

The last time this came up was the Avengers cartoon, Earths Mughtiest Heroes.

The producers were given a choice for the WW2 bits.

Cap and the allies could have bullet guns, but the bad guys had to be Hydra.
Or they could be fighting Nazi's, but they had to have lasers.

They picked Hydra. Because even though it was fictional, they didn't want to give Nazi's lasers.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Honestly we were robbed of EMH, it could have been Marvel's DCAU.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

the things I was specifically referring to when it came to how the Ocean dub was done came from this interview with Brian Drummond https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Qs5FfhO2Q
He's the original VA for Vegeta, so we have him to thank for "over 9000!!!!"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Brion 100% did the right thing killing his lovely murderer uncle who promised to plunge the country into civil wars and coups as often as possible and bragged about killing his parents to his face. Playing it off as mind control is just some lmao bullshit when fuckin batman would probably kill joe chill if he laughed in his face saying "i loved killing your parents and cant wait to kill more parents of young only-childs". Also beast boy is a coward for not backing him up on it

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I feel that, yes, he made the choice for the right reasons but the optics of his decision were not good and I want to say that that was what the show was trying to communicate with every telling him he crossed a line. However, it sort of seems hollow and hypocritical considering what a lot of the metas and supers have done already over three seasons

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Brion 100% did the right thing killing his lovely murderer uncle who promised to plunge the country into civil wars and coups as often as possible and bragged about killing his parents to his face. Playing it off as mind control is just some lmao bullshit when fuckin batman would probably kill joe chill if he laughed in his face saying "i loved killing your parents and cant wait to kill more parents of young only-childs". Also beast boy is a coward for not backing him up on it

he did the right thing for the right reasons but hes still a moron

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

scary ghost dog posted:

he did the right thing for the right reasons but hes still a moron

Truth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Bedlam was helpless at the time. (And probably also under Bad Samaritan's influence when he said that as he was begging for mercy earlier.) Brion did not have any real right to execute him, then there was the whole doubling down and usurping the Kingdom from his brother.

He also was not mind controlled, his actions were just influenced. He was considering doing all that stuff, the Bad Samaritan just gave him the push to do so.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, the synopses for the rest of the episodes of this season of Spider-Man have dropped. Gotta be honest, nothing leaps out at me except Cloak & Dagger, and that's only because they're bringing in the actors from the live action series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Teen Titans Go! vs. Teen Titans comes out today

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
So I watched Batman vs. TMNT last night with my kids, and while I thought it was perfect for who I thought the target audience should be, I was kind of put off by the pointless blood in scenes. Like the dialogue is all pretty PG and the humor is pretty much geared towards 8 year old but then Shredder will throw a shuriken into someones face and there will be a bunch of blood, or someone's chest will be stabbed through with blood all over the shirt. It just seemed kinda off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

site posted:

It's really good. A very solid and fun Raven story, I think it's a bit mean to 03 Robin, but beyond that it's very true to both shows.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

good day for a bris posted:

So I watched Batman vs. TMNT last night with my kids, and while I thought it was perfect for who I thought the target audience should be, I was kind of put off by the pointless blood in scenes. Like the dialogue is all pretty PG and the humor is pretty much geared towards 8 year old but then Shredder will throw a shuriken into someones face and there will be a bunch of blood, or someone's chest will be stabbed through with blood all over the shirt. It just seemed kinda off.

I really liked the bit where they used the snaps on Batgirl's cape.

It did get a bit weird, and I think the turtles got chumped out a bit to Bats (but, I also kind of expected that.)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

site posted:

I enjoyed it! Honestly, it could have done with another great song or two after the great TTG To the Movies songs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Andrew_1985 posted:

I enjoyed it! Honestly, it could have done with another great song or two after the great TTG To the Movies songs.

Same, watched it last night. If you enjoyed TTG to the Movies, you should like this movie. I didn't think it was as great as Go to the Movies (prob my favorite DC animated movie) but still enjoyed it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im watching it right now and the 90s hip hop we are teen titans song is very funny

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked TTG VS TT except the part where the lovely DTV Teen Titans showed up. But I guess they can't use Young Justice since Raven and Starfire aren't a thing on there?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

im watching it right now and the 90s hip hop we are teen titans song is very funny

I hope 90s Hip Hop Starfire explodes

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked TTG VS TT except the part where the lovely DTV Teen Titans showed up. But I guess they can't use Young Justice since Raven and Starfire aren't a thing on there?

I was wanting the live action Titans to show up so badly and I feel like they could've easily thrown them in just because.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PicklePants posted:

I really liked the bit where they used the snaps on Batgirl's cape.

It did get a bit weird, and I think the turtles got chumped out a bit to Bats (but, I also kind of expected that.)

I'd say Batman shouldn't be able to beat one turtle, but then again Shredder kicked all 4 of their asses without trying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I'd say Batman shouldn't be able to beat one turtle, but then again Shredder kicked all 4 of their asses without trying.

Inverse ninja rule

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Did Batman face off against Splinter? I saw some clips online of that movie and it looked like his bout with Shredder ended in a draw.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Did Batman face off against Splinter? I saw some clips online of that movie and it looked like his bout with Shredder ended in a draw.

Splinter's not even in the movie. It's just the Turtles, Batman, Batgirl, Robin and Alfred, plus villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alfred and Batgirl but no Splinter? That's some bullshit.