Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I assumed it was sucking the water up in the tubes. I knew it had an impeller so...I'm just dumb. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Phanatic posted:

I was doing a monster batch of egg bites for an event, using 288 eggs, and all my jars broke. That was too gross.

Is no one going to acknowledge this pun?

Guess I will.

:golfclap:

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Is no one going to acknowledge this pun?

Guess I will.

:golfclap:

I didn't even notice. Well done.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh god dammit

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I still don't get it. Wooosh I guess.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

sterster posted:

A gross is 144.

Too gross is yo mama :berninator: :chanpop: :smuggo: :yarg:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sterster posted:

A dozen dozen is a gross.
288 is too gross to explain.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

sterster posted:

A dozen dozens is 144, which is a gross.
288 eggs is two gross.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Today I learned that gross has another meaning. Thanks for making me smarter.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Honestly, I thought this was a smashmouth reference. Now I feel like an idiot.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Honestly, I thought this was a smashmouth reference. Now I feel like an idiot.

i guess you're not the sharpest tool in the shed

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Eat the eggs Smash Mouth!

Anyone remember that?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sterster posted:

Eat the eggs Smash Mouth!

Anyone remember that?

I was staring at my phone the whole time.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made my egg bites but I didn't have really small jars. I just had "jelly jar" size ones so I made BIG egg bites. Think I will find some smaller jars before I do them again as all the bacon and chives and stuff fell to the bottom of the jars during the cook.

Though I did blend the eggs, cheese and salt in the food processor which seemed to make them more airy and light. I will use the actual blender next time though because it has a pour spout and the food pro doesn't.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Haha. I made them in half-pint jars last weekend too. I had to put something on top to keep them submerged.

I just used a stick blender and it worked really well. Smooth, airy, and custardy. I used eggs, cottage cheese, and some El Salvadoran crema. Really tasty, will repeat with 4oz jars. I guess I know what all the hype is about. I just popped them in the fridge overnight, then put them in the cool water bath and then turned the IC on to cook. That way there's no thermal shock issues because it's all heating up together and it only takes 10 minutes to heat up so no issues there.

I suppose you could make them right then too, but then there's dishes right away in the morning and I was being lazy.

Going to do crème brûlée this week now, because that must be really easy to do and who doesn't love it?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Haha. I made them in half-pint jars last weekend too. I had to put something on top to keep them submerged.

I just used a stick blender and it worked really well. Smooth, airy, and custardy. I used eggs, cottage cheese, and some El Salvadoran crema. Really tasty, will repeat with 4oz jars. I guess I know what all the hype is about. I just popped them in the fridge overnight, then put them in the cool water bath and then turned the IC on to cook. That way there's no thermal shock issues because it's all heating up together and it only takes 10 minutes to heat up so no issues there.

I suppose you could make them right then too, but then there's dishes right away in the morning and I was being lazy.

Going to do crème brûlée this week now, because that must be really easy to do and who doesn't love it?

I don't understand why you can't put the jars in the bath once you've poured your mixture in. The temp you are cooking the eggs is unlikely i'd think to cause a thermal shock. AND if you are really worried you could temper them with hot/boiling water like you do with canning.

Creme brulee - Sooo easy with a circulator. I've tried making it in water baths in the over and it just never seems to come out right. Also, I'd be curious what recipe you are using. The one that I used always seems to be a little more on the custard/runny side and I'd prefer a more set creme instead. If anyone has suggestions on recipes where I can cut it with a spoon and have it hold it's shape better I'd appreciate.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You could pour it in after prepping it and pop it into the water bath. Room temp to 170 won’t really cause an issue. I went straight from fridge with the glass which could have caused an issue. It’s just the limitations of glass itself. If it’s not tempered or has a chip or something the glass will react inconsistently and as expansion occurs and can shatter. It would be worse if it was frozen.

Also, I was being lazy and only wanted to mess with it twice. Once at the beginning and once at the end when I pulled them out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just do it in a plastic bag and then when it’s done cut a corner off and pastry-bag it into your maw like a goddamn animal.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

sterster posted:

Creme brulee - Sooo easy with a circulator. I've tried making it in water baths in the over and it just never seems to come out right. Also, I'd be curious what recipe you are using. The one that I used always seems to be a little more on the custard/runny side and I'd prefer a more set creme instead. If anyone has suggestions on recipes where I can cut it with a spoon and have it hold it's shape better I'd appreciate.
What temperature do you do them at? I upped my sous vide creme brulee recipe to 176F and they come out firm and delicious every time. Otherwise just add some more egg yolks and they'll end up firmer.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Infinite Karma posted:

What temperature do you do them at? I upped my sous vide creme brulee recipe to 176F and they come out firm and delicious every time. Otherwise just add some more egg yolks and they'll end up firmer.

This is the recipe.
6 yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
vanilla( it says use vanilla pod but I'm not rich so I've been using like 1tbls of extract.)
pinch of salt

Set bath 181.5f, whisk egg, sugar, vanilla salt untill smooth. Then whisk in cream. Pour mix into quart bag seal . Add bag to water & cook for 1hr. remove bag & shake/mix. Cut corner and fill 4, 4oz jars. Chill for min 3hrs... sugar...blow torch... eat.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

sterster posted:

...181.5f...
custard sets at about 80*c(175f), guessing it's not coming out right because the temp is too high

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sterster posted:

This is the recipe.
6 yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
vanilla( it says use vanilla pod but I'm not rich so I've been using like 1tbls of extract.)
pinch of salt

Set bath 181.5f, whisk egg, sugar, vanilla salt untill smooth. Then whisk in cream. Pour mix into quart bag seal . Add bag to water & cook for 1hr. remove bag & shake/mix. Cut corner and fill 4, 4oz jars. Chill for min 3hrs... sugar...blow torch... eat.

try the chef steps recipe, ive done this twice and it was great

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/foolproof-cracklin-creme-brulee

as someone pointed out, should be 175/176ish

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BraveUlysses posted:

try the chef steps recipe, ive done this twice and it was great

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/foolproof-cracklin-creme-brulee

as someone pointed out, should be 175/176ish
This is the recipe I started with, too. I cook them directly in the 4oz mason jars instead of in a bag, I imagine pouring them from the bag into jars after cooking would also affect the consistency.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone done SV Beef Heart yet?

There's some wild variation in internet recipes so far:

18 hours at 185 ºF/85 ºC - A Blog on the Internet

24 hours at 174.2 ºF/79 ºC - Nomiku

24 hours at 158 ºF/70 ºC - Anova

Both 8 hrs 131f/55c and 140 ºF / 60 ºC for 32 hours Chefsteps Comment section

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Hello friends, I'm thinking about getting into sous vide cooking. Are the immersion circulator recommendations in the first post up to date? I'm looking for something that does not require a cell phone to use and from reading a recent post, something that doesn't intake water because I have well water and so much calcium in it that it does not play nicely with filters. Would like to keep it $200 or under.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

katkillad2 posted:

Hello friends, I'm thinking about getting into sous vide cooking. Are the immersion circulator recommendations in the first post up to date? I'm looking for something that does not require a cell phone to use and from reading a recent post, something that doesn't intake water because I have well water and so much calcium in it that it does not play nicely with filters. Would like to keep it $200 or under.

Uh, intaking water then expelling it heated is kind of their bag.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's what you need to know about hard water and immersion cookers.

Infinite Karma posted:

If it makes you feel better, ICs don't really have innards to get things sucked into.

There's some heating element tubes, a high water and low water sensor, and there's a little impeller with no moving parts (the moving parts are far away from the water up inside the non-immersible part). If something gross happens, you can take off the outer sleeve and clean off everything, but you'd have to do something weird to even need to do that.

Dewgy posted:

My water sucks and I have to take mine apart to de-calcify it every once in a blue moon, but it just needs a little bit of a vinegar soak and it's shiny and perfect again.

That's it. The pictured IC is an Anova. I have one and it's super easy to clean. Mine is a wifi/bluetooth model that I bought because it was higher wattage, and I've never used the wifi/bluetooth functionality past the first day. This isn't like smoking a brisket where you'll want to adjust temps at different times during long cooks. You kinda just set temp once and let it run for almost all recipes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whenever I need to descale my anova i just put it in some water with vinegar in a 50/50 mix (as per anova's recommendation) and it works

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah descaling an Anova is super simple

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My nomiku is all scaled up and works fine. :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah descaling an Anova is super simple

There are Anova models that don't come apart like that. The Nano can't be disassembled at all.

But you could just run some vinegar/water through it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just came home from a wedding and among other things they had US Roast Beef sous vide on the menu. The texture was nice but other than that it was very bland. They also didn't sear it at all. It was pretty disappoiting that I can make better food at home...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hopper posted:

I just came home from a wedding and among other things they had US Roast Beef sous vide on the menu. The texture was nice but other than that it was very bland. They also didn't sear it at all. It was pretty disappoiting that I can make better food at home...

Welcome to wedding catering.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

katkillad2 posted:

Hello friends, I'm thinking about getting into sous vide cooking. Are the immersion circulator recommendations in the first post up to date?

At this point you should strongly consider an Instant Pot Max, which adds a sous vide feature to everything it could already do.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

Welcome to wedding catering.

The funny thing is they did everything else right, from roast pork to mango salad everything was fine.
But the even more surprising part is a lot of people thought the beef tasted great. Only a few who had eaten sous vide before agreed with me.

I am not a food snob, but the stuff was just lacking general taste, it didn't even taste of beef, it was cut way too thick for roast beef slices and lacking any kind of salt or spices. Even the colour wasn't the proper sous vide red... I don't know what they did but that wasn't how you treat good meat.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Definitely a longer. Central Texas is known for that cut but it does cook on the smoker for about 4 hours. I would aim for 10-12 hours and presear it. A simple salt and pepper rub would be your best bet

Did this last weekend, in the original packaging. So no presear or seasoning. 138F for 11-ish hours. Nothing wrong with the tenderness, it was real nice, soft and juicy. But the taste was not good. Too beefy, a real gamey, iron-like taste. Perhaps it would have been better if it stewed in presear juices, but I don't think it would make a big difference. I'm sure it's great from a Texan smoker, but I'll give this one a pass the next time. It was from a farmer's market, local, grass, etc etc, so it want cheap either.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Sous vide deal, my local Ollie’s has Chefman circulators for twenty freakin bucks. Probably varies just due to how Ollie’s does things but that is a hell of a bargain. Picked up a spare to make veggies and one for my sister too.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Whenever I need to descale my anova i just put it in some water with vinegar in a 50/50 mix (as per anova's recommendation) and it works

FYI, you can do like a 1:30 mix and it still works great. 50/50 is way more than is needed.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Does an Instant Pot do sous vide properly or does it suck at it?

EDIT: Seems like what I'm asking about is pretty new? https://instantpot.com/portfolio-item/duo-sv-6-quart/

It's hard to find a lot of information about it. Guess I should wait.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I've been at this for a couple years now, and have modified coolers for the task (one small one for day-to-day stuff, and a MASSIVE one for big cuts and/or entertaining).

What I haven't figured out yet are:
• Some sort of rack to hold the item just an inch or so above the bottom (so water can get underneath)
• Some sort of weight

I've tried several methods to hold the food off the bottom in the past, but it seems that anything made of metal has steel in it SOMEWHERE that will start rusting after a bit, getting all gnarly in the process. I haven't found anything made of plastic that seems to do what I want (yet). I've considered just cutting up a milk crate or something, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

For weight, I've pretty much decided that it wouldn't be too hard to just vacuum-seal some smooth river rocks or something, but I don't know how I would go about attempting to clip it to a food bag, then, since any clip I can think of has a steel spring in it somewhere.

What have you guys used to solve these problems?