Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

I mean then you're also kind of assuming America conquers all of Earth in the back story (which granted does explain why 99% of people Earth in a position of authority seem to be American)...

There's a unified Earth government, in which America would be a big mover and shaker. When the US spends as much on the military as pretty much everyone else combined, it's not wholly senseless to think that they might have some influence on the makeup of Earthforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Soylent Pudding posted:

It vaguely makes sense if you assume space forces grew out of the (US) air force structure which uses generals instead of the navy structure which uses admirals.

Okay, so how come Sheridan is a captain and not a colonel? :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Everything is fully explained here. I'm sure there are other fan sites with contradictory information.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Okay, so how come Sheridan is a captain and not a colonel? :)

To be fair captain (of a ship and possibly also static installation aka stone frigate) is different from captain (the military rank)...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

There's a unified Earth government, in which America would be a big mover and shaker. When the US spends as much on the military as pretty much everyone else combined, it's not wholly senseless to think that they might have some influence on the makeup of Earthforce.

99% of it? That's not 'influence' that's 'total takeover'.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

A quick wikipedia search suggests Russia and China use the equivalent of general for their air forces too. Which is about as much effort as I'm going to put into following an off the cuff remark. But it's clear in the show that Earthforce is primarily grown out of NATO military traditions.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
When was EarthGov established? I don't remember any clear dates in the show, but I haven't read any of the novels.

feedmegin posted:

99% of it? That's not 'influence' that's 'total takeover'.

American-accented English may be the standard language within EarthForce. Ivanova was educated abroad deliberately to have a more international outlook and identity, better integration with other EarthGov nations, etc., and would easily seem like she's an American with a Russian name if you didn't know her personal history.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
EarthGov was established in 2085. Around the time the Psi Corps was established, the EA was basically invading and taking control of nations that hadn't joined the Earth Alliance yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
S02E06

Earth:The San Diego Ruins

Oh hell yeah.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

TraderStav posted:

S02E06

Earth: The San Diego Ruins

Oh hell yeah.

Wouldn't The San Diego Ruins be like... a bunch of burned out malls and a roadside avocado stand?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IBBwnRDZ7s

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

poolside toaster posted:

Wouldn't The San Diego Ruins be like... a bunch of burned out malls and a roadside avocado stand?

"And they put too much cilantro in everything!"

feedmegin posted:

I mean then you're also kind of assuming America conquers all of Earth in the back story (which granted does explain why 99% of people Earth in a position of authority seem to be American)...

I don't really recall the conflict that EarthForce/EarthGov emerged out of, but if Western nations were part of the victors, it makes sense as to why Western rank structure would be used.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was under the impression it was just an evolution of the UN rather than conflict?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was under the impression it was just an evolution of the UN rather than conflict?

I believe so. There's a bit of detail in the first Psi-Corps novel, much of which predates first contact with the Centauri, but I don't remember it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but if you then amalgamate everybody's navies and air forces on either manpower or budget basis, USAF and USN get to write most of the traditions for whatever service they end up helping to found. China gets a couple of picks. Russia probably gets to make everyone wear that snazzy blue-striped shirt, and... the Brits and the French might get some say about something. And that's where EarthForce traditions come from.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, but if you then amalgamate everybody's navies and air forces on either manpower or budget basis, USAF and USN get to write most of the traditions for whatever service they end up helping to found. China gets a couple of picks. Russia probably gets to make everyone wear that snazzy blue-striped shirt, and... the Brits and the French might get some say about something. And that's where EarthForce traditions come from.

Now I want a scene like the one where Sinclair introduces a member of all of Earth's religions, but it's one where they pick ugly uniforms, dumb ranks, and weird bureaucratic procedures from every military branch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

I believe so. There's a bit of detail in the first Psi-Corps novel, much of which predates first contact with the Centauri, but I don't remember it.

Oh word, there's Babylon 5 books too?!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TraderStav posted:

Oh word, there's Babylon 5 books too?!

Lots.

Rather difficult to find nowadays, though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Timby posted:

Lots.

Rather difficult to find nowadays, though.

Oh, wow. Are they worth reading? I imagine only after I have finished the series?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Oh, wow. Are they worth reading? I imagine only after I have finished the series?

The Shadow Within and To Dream in the City of Sorrows are good for backstory. The Psi-Corps and Centauri trilogies are just good, period. Jury is out on the Technomage trilogy. But don't go looking for them before you finish the series, as even the titles are spoilerific in some cases.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

The Shadow Within and To Dream in the City of Sorrows are good for backstory. The Psi-Corps and Centauri trilogies are just good, period. Jury is out on the Technomage trilogy. But don't go looking for them before you finish the series, as even the titles are spoilerific in some cases.

I'm kicking myself, because I had the second Psy-Corps book but either threw it away or gave it away before finding out how rare they were. :doh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm kicking myself, because I had the second Psy-Corps book but either threw it away or gave it away before finding out how rare they were. :doh:

I think the only one that's even remotely close to affordable on eBay is the first Psi-Corps book.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
How much do the Psi-Corps books go for? I got all 3 for 15 dollars a few months ago

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Adaptabullshit posted:

How much do the Psi-Corps books go for? I got all 3 for 15 dollars a few months ago

Hardcover? I've seen the trilogy for around $150.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Ah. I got them in paperback form which explains the affordability.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I had #2 in paperback.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have all three post-show trilogies in paperback (:smug:) but then I'm the guy that will defend the Technomage trilogy.

One of these days I do need to try to pick up To Dream in the City of Sorrows. If it's not $300 by now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have all three post-show trilogies in paperback (:smug:) but then I'm the guy that will defend the Technomage trilogy.

One of these days I do need to try to pick up To Dream in the City of Sorrows. If it's not $300 by now.

I had all the canon ones. The 3 trilogies and then The Shadow Within and To Dream in the City of Sorrows. I gave them away to someone in one of the B5 threads, I believe. I read the Centauri trilogy and then The Shadow Within. Was good! Would recommend all of them where available, as they're actually canon and not just bullshit fanficcy asides.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I actually have a spare copy of The Shadow Within. It turned up as a free gift when I bought the Centauri trilogy.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU91BMLgc

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Coming of Shadows

I love this show. Perfection.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

TraderStav posted:

The Coming of Shadows

I love this show. Perfection.

Emperor Turhan's speech in the observation dome is my favorite moment in the whole series, but really the entire episode is such an excellent little tragedy.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 3, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Emperor Turhan's speech in the observation dome is my favorite moment in the whole series, but really the entire episode is such an excellent little tragedy.

That was an excellent moment.

I have so many thoughts about that episode but cannot process them quick enough to get down. G'kar was masterful. Everything was just perfectly laid out and then executed.

And it's only S02E09!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

"How will this end?"

"~IN FIRE~"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

That was an excellent moment.

I have so many thoughts about that episode but cannot process them quick enough to get down. G'kar was masterful. Everything was just perfectly laid out and then executed.

And it's only S02E09!

The great thing about it is, the best is yet to come.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

lost my old email posted:

smdh if you don't watch b5 on a 10 inch crt like god intended

my mom won a 13" tv in some drawing and put it in the kitchen to watch while cooking

I remember watching b5 on that b/c b5 was shown as either the same time as the news or david letterman and I was not allowed to interrupt that for more Star Trek

also

on the topic if ds9 wasnt around would b5 be more fondly remembered. What if Avery Brooks left ds9 and Kenneth Marshall or Michael Dorn replaced him? Would ds9 have fared as good as b5? prob not, Avery Brooks was great as the commander/captain role

I always liked Sinclair coming back to become Valen and if that wasn't the plan, then that is a great pivot in character and story by the writers

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

lost my old email posted:

smdh if you don't watch b5 on a 10 inch crt like god intended

First time I watched B5 was on this thing

That's a 6inch black&white TV.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My parents had a color 25" console TV from the '70s in the basement, I lived in style. As long as I slapped the screen in just the right spot so the blue cathode would fire up.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Hiya thread- I'm watching Babylon 5 for the very first time and know nothing about the show other than it has a few recognizable costumes, some similarities to DS9, and a war with the "shadows" (spooky!). I'm going through this view order right here: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/eplist.html

Just watched In the Beginning and The Gathering, getting read to start on season 1. I started Midnight on the Firing Line on Amazon Prime when I noticed some aspect ratio weirdness and did a little googling. Is there any recommended way of watching the show where the special effects aren't cropped and zoomed in? I'm also a little skeptical of wide screen since it wasn't shown that way on tv, but whatever.

Also why is the Centauri Republic apparently ruled by an emperor? It's a republic ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Hi! We'll go back to spoiler-tagging even things about Season 1. On non-cropped CGI: Time travel. I don't think it's available with original 4:3 CGI shots anywhere. Maybe on VHS. On widescreen: It was shot originally in widescreen, so it doesn't really detract anything, just usually add some empty space around the characters. I'm neutral on it.

Regarding the great Centauri Republic, well. Sometimes republics have emperors, y'know?