Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

It might, but the thing with Conan crossing over into Avengers is that he's public domain, so Marvel doesn't have to worry about 10 years from now when they no longer have rights to the character, (ahh, who am I kidding, Disney will probably buy Games Workshop for less than the catering budget of the next Avengers film).

Conan isn't public domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Conan isn't public domain.

I thought the character was, just not all of the stories, so anyone could write a conan story, but they couldn't adapt most of Howard's works

Fake edit, google tells me it's a bit more complicated, he's public domain in the rest of the world but not the US, I'm not positive how accurate this is but it's the only concise explanation I was able to find quickly.
https://www.quora.com/Is-The-Character-Conan-The-Barbarian-in-the-public-domain

quote:

U.S. perspective:

Conan the Barbarian first appeared in Weird Tales in 1932. At the time of that publication the copyright duration for works that complied with all of the requirements, could enjoy 95 years of copyright. So he becomes public domain in 2028.

But…

Only that character and only those other characters that were in that story. As well as the fictional locations that were written of in later novellas and books. The last of the works was published in 1936—so the longest you would have to wait is 2032.

UK (and other countries):

For most countries, the duration of works in this century is Life plus 70. Works are protected for seventy years following the death of the author. Robert E. Howard died at the age of 30 in 1936. So Conan and all of his fellow characters and the settings they lived in became public domain in 2007.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Skwirl posted:

It might, but the thing with Conan crossing over into Avengers is that he's public domain, so Marvel doesn't have to worry about 10 years from now when they no longer have rights to the character, (ahh, who am I kidding, Disney will probably buy Games Workshop for less than the catering budget of the next Avengers film).

Someone at Disney would ask what they're doing with that Total War game that made so much money, and be responded to with many tugged collars.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Spider-Verse was great, and that and the one-page story by Houser in MC #1001 are really making me want a RYV revival.

I'm very slightly concerned that Annie's just going to be a human macguffin from the setup, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Black Cat remains very cool and good.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mulva posted:

Incidentally spoil tags are useless when there is no context for what they are spoiling.

Immortal Hulk by the way.

Right, I just avoid the general thread entirely until I'm done my weekly reads. Apologies.

...so did Hulk's evil dad eat the universe or what?

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 2, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Incidentally spoil tags are useless when there is no context for what they are spoiling.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Conan isn't in the public domain, or at least Conan Properties International actively asserts the copyright and trademark for the Conan character. Apparently some of Robert E. Howard's original stories fell into the public domain because they hadn't been reprinted/filed for a period of time in the 1970s (the same way the Fleisher Superman cartoons are in the public domain and can be freely reproduced, but Superman isn't in the public domain).

Which is to say you can reprint old REH Conan stories, but if you're creating new Conan stories, comics, movies, posters, statues, etc. etc. you still need the Conan Properties license. Which Marvel did not have from like 1999-2018 and therefore didn't make or reprint or reference any Conan comics, but Dark Horse did. Marvel literally announced they'd struck a deal with CPI last year.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Right, I just avoid the general thread entirely until I'm done my weekly reads. Apologies.

...so did Hulk's evil dad eat the universe or what?

If I had to guess: this is the culmination of every Hulk working together under Devil Hulk, and Bruce just kind of looks like his dad cause we all become our fathers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mulva posted:

Holy fuuuuuuuuck

E: that's it, that's all I can say

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Immortal Hulk is everything comics should be. Joe Bennett's art is superb - not just the drafting, but the composition and the storytelling. Practically every issue has that big punch moment in it, a piece of art that really rocks you back on your heels. This one has two or three.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Black Cat remains very cool and good.
It really was. I appreciated the fact that not only was the Thing suit used, but it was still in the colours from Fraction's FF run since that's when it last showed up (worn by Darla Deering).

Some slighlty more indepth Spider-Verse thoughts:

I really like the premise, and it seems like we're not going down the 'kill people off for shock value' route - heck, we even see Spder-Man Noir in the big ol' montage. And hey, we get some great alternate earths on our way through (with the obligatory Spider-Punk appearance). Plus as a fan of RYV, it's good to see Annie will be playing a major role - although hopefully as an active participant and not a human Macguffin. Kind of weird that her parents aren't getting involved, though - while I get the thematic reason why the writers don't want another Peter Parker (especially one identical in appearance to the archetypical Spider-Man), it does seem kind of weird they apparently aren't involved in the search for their missing daughter. Sadly it looks like Mayday's also going to be relegated to a cameo in the Spider-Verse montage page - while of course Miles & Gwen are the big two people think of when it comes to the Spider-Verse after Peter, she was really the trailblazer. Spider-Zero seems cool, I like her aesthetic, but I'm curious if there's going to be more to her than meets the eye. All things considered, I'm curious and excited to see where they go next. The Spidersonas in the back were all really great- hopefully they'll play into the story proper later on.

I recommend it to anyone who liked Into The Spider-Verse, or heck, Spidey in general.

Also Marvel Comics #1001 has a Power Pack story with Gurihuru art. This is not a drill. It is delightful. Give me more Power Pack Marvel you cowards.

Future Foundation was...good. Kind of not too happy that the Bucky from Exiles has also been retconned into Rikki, but that may be just because I feel it undermines that version's happy ending somewhat. But hey, they've made the subtext official at least (I'm guessing her & Julie were going to be a thing if the book wasn't already cancelled). The Lyja reveal was great, too - it really feels like there were some great ideas that the premature end have cut short, which is a real bummer.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edge & Christian posted:

Conan isn't in the public domain, or at least Conan Properties International actively asserts the copyright and trademark for the Conan character. Apparently some of Robert E. Howard's original stories fell into the public domain because they hadn't been reprinted/filed for a period of time in the 1970s (the same way the Fleisher Superman cartoons are in the public domain and can be freely reproduced, but Superman isn't in the public domain).

Which is to say you can reprint old REH Conan stories, but if you're creating new Conan stories, comics, movies, posters, statues, etc. etc. you still need the Conan Properties license. Which Marvel did not have from like 1999-2018 and therefore didn't make or reprint or reference any Conan comics, but Dark Horse did. Marvel literally announced they'd struck a deal with CPI last year.

Related rights question: why is it that the Red Sonja rights are completely separate from Conan? She was created by Marvel for their Conan comics back in the 70s, so I would think she'd be with Marvel (either all along, or currently as part of the Conan license), but that isn't the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Related rights question: why is it that the Red Sonja rights are completely separate from Conan? She was created by Marvel for their Conan comics back in the 70s, so I would think she'd be with Marvel (either all along, or currently as part of the Conan license), but that isn't the case.

From piecing it together from Wiki, it seems she has separate rights from Conan, including her own holding company.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

In other Immortal Hulk news the Absolute Carnage tie-in that came out this week is worth a read. It makes some of what's been going on in Immortal Hulk a bit more explicit and you don't really need to know what's happening in Absolute Carnage to follow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

And Bizarre Adventures, which has my barbarian BLOODSTONE story in it (as I sit in the car typing this, Iron Maiden is playing which is very apropos)

It was probably just a coincidence but when I open Spider-Verse and page one was 8-Ball I feel that’s a shout-out to our forum as I have been lobbying for more 8-Ball since I discovered him while doing our Marvel Handbook thread a few years ago. He was quite the hit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Put me on the same train as the rest of the Immortal Hulk readers, because :catstare: drat :catstare:

e:"Mastermind Excello", never stop the Black Cat deep cuts.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 3, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

It was probably just a coincidence but when I open Spider-Verse and page one was 8-Ball I feel that’s a shout-out to our forum as I have been lobbying for more 8-Ball since I discovered him while doing our Marvel Handbook thread a few years ago. He was quite the hit.

That was my first thought when I opened the book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

Technically Red Sonja is loosely based on/inspired by Red Sonya, an unrelated Robert E. Howard character. From the first solo issue of Red Sonja, Marvel credited it as "featuring the heroine created by Robert E. Howard", so she was considered part of the Conan the Barbarian Intellectual Property, same as Kulan Gath and other characters Roy Thomas and company created for the Conan comics. The same thing is true of most licensed comics, from Star Wars to GI Joe to anything else, just about the only exception I can think of is Marvel still having the rights to Red Ronin despite debuting in the Godzilla comic; maybe Toho had an unusual licensing contract?

Anyway, when they made the Red Sonja movie in the 1980s, Howard's estate split the Conan and Red Sonja rights into two separate holding companies to make licensing and promotion for each character easier, though Marvel's Conan license was grandfathered in to include Red Sonja. Once Marvel let the rights lapse, Dark Horse grabbed the Conan rights but presumably didn't want to pay up for Red Sonja, or maybe Dynamite outbid them? Regardless, Dynamite still has the Red Sonja license.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm still not sure how I feel about Hickman's X-Men so far, but I do know I want him to find an excuse to shove Mr. Sinister into every one of his future works.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Chinston Wurchill posted:

In other Immortal Hulk news the Absolute Carnage tie-in that came out this week is worth a read. It makes some of what's been going on in Immortal Hulk a bit more explicit and you don't really need to know what's happening in Absolute Carnage to follow.

I have no interest at all in Absolute Carnage or any of the symbiote stuff they're trying to sell but the Immortal Hulk tie in was pretty good.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Edge & Christian posted:

Technically Red Sonja is loosely based on/inspired by Red Sonya, an unrelated Robert E. Howard character. From the first solo issue of Red Sonja, Marvel credited it as "featuring the heroine created by Robert E. Howard", so she was considered part of the Conan the Barbarian Intellectual Property, same as Kulan Gath and other characters Roy Thomas and company created for the Conan comics. The same thing is true of most licensed comics, from Star Wars to GI Joe to anything else, just about the only exception I can think of is Marvel still having the rights to Red Ronin despite debuting in the Godzilla comic; maybe Toho had an unusual licensing contract?

I think Marvel still has the rights to the non-Rom content from ROM (the Torpedo/Turbo armor, the Spaceknights, the Wraiths) and the the couple of characters from Micronauts that weren't toys (Bug), but they went out of their way to have Circuit Breaker show up in a book other than TRANSFORMERS first so Hasbro couldn't claim her, so it's probably down to individual contracts, yeah

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Karma Tornado posted:

I think Marvel still has the rights to the non-Rom content from ROM (the Torpedo/Turbo armor, the Spaceknights, the Wraiths) and the the couple of characters from Micronauts that weren't toys (Bug), but they went out of their way to have Circuit Breaker show up in a book other than TRANSFORMERS first so Hasbro couldn't claim her, so it's probably down to individual contracts, yeah

But the rights thing also leads to hilarious moments like Iron Man 193-194, where they try so hard to use Godzilla without calling him Godzilla. Had the same bad guy from the Godzilla series, set the story in the Pacific Ocean, and had a big green lizard monster with atomic breath. They changed him JUST ENOUGH to get around the copyright but even 7 year old me was like “hey why is Iron Man fighting Godzilla?”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma Tornado posted:

ROM is an interesting case because the toy itself had almost no fiction around it. Parker Brothers just... made this toy. I think maybe he was a cyborg? Marvel filled in like every other detail, though.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

ROM is an interesting case because the toy itself had almost no fiction around it. Parker Brothers just... made this toy. I think maybe he was a cyborg? Marvel filled in like every other detail, though.

That was from that weird period where nothing was really working for Marvel except for Star Wars so they just bought up every sci-fi property the could in the hopes of hitting the jackpot again. They had Godzilla, Micronauts, ROM, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes, and a ton of other stuff.

ROM was awesome and they almost instantly made him a part of the Marvel Universe. They even had his big bad guys revealed as offshoots of the Skrulls at some point. That’s what made it work so well - they gave him a mythos and integrated him into what they were doing line-wide. It’s why when the revival everyone supposedly wanted happened at another company it flopped - no Spaceknights, no Dire Wraiths, no Hybrid, no nothin

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

X-O posted:

No, I know better than to put a BSS reference in a book. It was actually supposed to be the Squid, but I didn't realize that he was dead, and the editor pushed for 8 Ball instead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So the editor is a goon!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edge & Christian posted:

Anyway, when they made the Red Sonja movie in the 1980s, Howard's estate split the Conan and Red Sonja rights into two separate holding companies to make licensing and promotion for each character easier, though Marvel's Conan license was grandfathered in to include Red Sonja. Once Marvel let the rights lapse, Dark Horse grabbed the Conan rights but presumably didn't want to pay up for Red Sonja, or maybe Dynamite outbid them? Regardless, Dynamite still has the Red Sonja license.

ah, that explains it, thanks.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The IDW Rom had a Dire Wraith enemy, but he looked nothing like the classic Marvel versions. I think they're both using the name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IDW got away with a few things because they are pretty cozy with Marvel.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

GPTribefan posted:

That was from that weird period where nothing was really working for Marvel except for Star Wars so they just bought up every sci-fi property the could in the hopes of hitting the jackpot again. They had Godzilla, Micronauts, ROM, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes, and a ton of other stuff.

And Marvel still has Machine Man! I'd love to read these deals somewhere.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

And Bizarre Adventures, which has my barbarian BLOODSTONE story in it (as I sit in the car typing this, Iron Maiden is playing which is very apropos)

Now that I can use words again, having recovered from Hulk - I want to note that this story was *really loving good* and I got definite old-school Conan magazine vibes from it. Great choice of baddie, too.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

And Marvel still has Machine Man! I'd love to read these deals somewhere.

You wanna talk about character turns... look at Mister Machine as introduced by Jack Kirby in that book, into what he became in his solo series, into his BWS mini series, into the Nextwave iteration.

I think the deal was any original character created in those books was Marvel’s to keep, as long as it wasn’t based on the existing property. I think that’s why, for example, Dr. Demonicus stayed around at Marvel but none of the kaiju could from the Godzilla book. Since “Mister Machine” was a Kirby creation independent of anything from the book or movie, they were all good. It probably helped that it was a property that didn’t exactly lend itself to other media...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1180224394897039362

Cates is a wonderful writer, but I'm not digging the vibes on this one. Thranduil-lookin' Thor. :cenobite:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 4, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JordanKai posted:

Cates is a wonderful writer, but I'm not digging the vibes on this one. Thranduil-lookin' Thor. :cenobite:

I am super down for Captain Universe Thor.

EDIT: Awwww Yeah!

https://twitter.com/MarvelousNews/status/1180243457329119233

EDIT 2: Oh wow!

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/status/1180241905378058240

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 4, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Donny Cates taking over Thor was the most obvious choice in the world after God Country.

Really excited for Al Ewing on Guardians. His Rocket was one of the best things to come out of Marvel's push for the Guardians after the movie came out.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Now this I can get behind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Rocket wearing a Miami vice suit? Wait, Rocket and Tubbs?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Between Cates and Ewing it's only a matter of time before we get King Thor vs. Symbiote Hulk at the end of the universe.

And yes, Ewing on Guardians should be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

twistedmentat posted:

Is Rocket wearing a Miami vice suit? Wait, Rocket and Tubbs?

He wore it in Ewing's short-lived Rocket series from 2017 (which was great, but too good for this world).