Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Retro42 posted:

The ICIG went to the House yesterday with a weird packet of propaganda that probably came from the WH to State. Apparently it contained a pile of stuff intended to make the former Ambassador look bad.

It's a whole mess that a few reporters are unraveling still. Trump just kind of offhandedly confirmed he fired her because he heard bad things about her, and he likely had Guiliani/etc put together parts of that packet for this purpose.

Getting ahead of whatever damning testimony she's giving/has given to the House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Retro42 posted:

The career WH OLC people HAVE to be barely functioning alcoholics at this point.

Who isn’t at this point

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

Is Giulina on retainer/on contract as a Trump attorney? He's amazing.

he claims to be working for Trump free - some oligarchs are definitely paying him though, he has a bunch of insanely sketchy people in former soviet countries he nominally works for but appears to not actually do anything but know the president.

he's already waived privilege on nearly everything involved because of how much he's talked about it, he's claimed he wasn't doing ANY legal work for trump in lobbying Ukraine, and the remainder that might still technically be privileged can probably be pierced by the crime-fraud exception

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Farking Bastage posted:

I recently had to attend trail and sentencing of my father after he held my mother down in the bed and shot her in the face with a .44 magnum. The life without parole reading was cathartic for me. Watching the light leave his eyes when the guilty verdict was handed down was equally so. I decided to keep my mouth shut for the sake of potentially giving him anything to take to appellate court.

Good lord I'm sorry you had to go through that. You are absolutely entitled to your own reaction and feelings about it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mahoning posted:

The Trump administration combating the climate crisis by seeing if an entire administration can run purely on ethanol.

On behalf of generation X, I apologize.

Edit: hey you edited your post and this doesn't make sense now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Just another day in Fucknutsville.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I don't understand. I don't understand how they could look their son's/brother's murderer in the eye, especially given the circumstances under which she killed him, and forgive her.

I guess their reasons are their own and I'm not qualified to make the judgment for them, but I know I would NEVER have forgiven that woman for what she did.

forgiveness is not for the person being forgiven. It is for the person who forgives to be able to let things go.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ewiley posted:

"Listen your honor, my client may have murdered that hooker, but what about all the other people murdering hookers out there? who's investigating them? Why aren't we talking about that"

"Mr. Giuliani we asked if this was your client's handwriting"

For those who dont get the reference

https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/472491935207133184

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Get Rudy his flask and in front of a camera asap...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, pretty much. The GOP can just say “nuh uh it’s okay to do this” and everyone else will just be like “okay :smith:” and then the world burns.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

The most incredible thing about all of this is that nobody gives enough of a poo poo about Joe Biden one way or the other to make it worth it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1179763435703279621

The army doesn’t even train with bayonet drills anymore and many military gun makers have stopped bothering with bayonet lugs

Yeah, because you can mount a bayonet to to bottom Picatinny rail these days.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

On behalf of generation X, I apologize.

Edit: hey you edited your post and this doesn't make sense now.

Huh? No I didn't.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1179783289281884161?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zophar posted:

The most incredible thing about all of this is that nobody gives enough of a poo poo about Joe Biden one way or the other to make it worth it.

Yeah, not to turn this into the primary thread but: biden is maybe not exactly the person you need to do crimes to destroy!

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Farking Bastage posted:

I recently had to attend trail and sentencing of my father after he held my mother down in the bed and shot her in the face with a .44 magnum. The life without parole reading was cathartic for me. Watching the light leave his eyes when the guilty verdict was handed down was equally so. I decided to keep my mouth shut for the sake of potentially giving him anything to take to appellate court.

you are a much stronger man than me. I love my mama. You must have a good heart

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/EllenLWeintraub/status/1179783410820292608?s=19

"Uh, no. Thanks for the letter."

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

no bitch

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/eatinginmycar/status/1179198609222447106

This made me crack up in my office and it just really hits that schadenfreude button

Okay so I get that seeing pictures of a cop-murderer crying at her sentencing is good schadenfreude. As is seeing two nazis face beaten in. And celebrating the fact that a republican is dead sure.

But come the gently caress on man, celebrating the fact that someone is being a normal person and looking devastated at the loss of her dad? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

megan mccain and her dad are/were bad people.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, pretty much. The GOP can just say “nuh uh it’s okay to do this” and everyone else will just be like “okay :smith:” and then the world burns.

Even the self-identified Republicans in polls don't seem to be buying it though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Okay so I get that seeing pictures of a cop-murderer crying at her sentencing is good schadenfreude. As is seeing two nazis face beaten in. And celebrating the fact that a republican is dead sure.

But come the gently caress on man, celebrating the fact that someone is being a normal person and looking devastated at the loss of her dad? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Source your quotes.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Is the equivalent of Clinton saying 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman' yesterday and then announcing 'I did have sexual relations with that woman and plan on having more with other women' today?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

She hasn't lost her dad, he's there on every future job application she will fill out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Going by this same logic they should never have gone ahead with the 16,000 Benghazi hearings. gently caress off, Kevin.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1179775485380829184

Good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Is the equivalent of Clinton saying 'I did not have sexual relations with that woman' yesterday and then announcing 'I did have sexual relations with that woman and plan on having more with other women' today?

or

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/1179778401302761473

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
So here's my understanding of how all this seems to have unfolded.

1. Schweizer and the Breitbart/Global Accountability Institute crew put together stories about the Bidens doing shady stuff in Ukraine and China, they intend to repeat their successful smears of Clinton. They're actually pretty savvy media people and know that they need to inject the Biden stuff into the mainstream media--it needs to be in the NYT to get traction, not on Breitbart News. In March 2018 they publish the dirt in Secret Empires but it doesn't get any mainstream attention. The book is about a bunch of other people in addition to the Bidens and it's too early in the campaign cycle.

2. Rudy and his insane conspiracy theorist lawyers decide it would be a great idea to investigate the allegations and Trump is totally on board. Rudy travels to meet with some contacts and Trump withholds aid from Ukraine until they promise to investigate the Bidens. Pompeo, Pence, and Barr participate.

3. Whistleblower complaint goes public, Trump doubles then triples down about how, actually, asking foreign governments to validate conspiracy theories about political rivals is cool and good. Impeachment proceedings begin. Now I guess Trump is asking China to investigate too.

Basically, the whole Biden smear campaign could well have worked if it'd quietly worked its way into mainstream media during the campaign. But Rudy and Trump are very stupid and did crimes to try to force the conspiracy theories into reality, then admitted they did crimes and want to do more.

So the whole thing has backfired. Instead of vague rumors of the Bidens doing shady things in Ukraine and China landing in the NYT which would actually hurt Biden, the President is criming loudly to try to get foreign governments to investigate the Bidens. It's being pushed by his cronies and right-wing media, so it's having the opposite effect on moderate and Dem voters who are the audience where Biden smears might actually be effective.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

ManBoyChef posted:

you are a much stronger man than me. I love my mama. You must have a good heart

I tell myself he died in 2008 when he started exhibiting strange behavior to cope. The economic shitstorm turned him into a different person leading up to all of this. If there was a red flag law in 2017, I would have invoked it on him. He never at any time have that revolver out of arms reach and would indiscriminately shoot at random stuff. I'll go ahead and say it. A red flag law would have saved my mother's life.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah that's better.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:saddowns:

...Does Kevin Mcarthy live on our planet, and own a TV or phone?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

They really don't have an argument other than hoping to catch them on some technicality or declaring proper procedure wasn't followed. Trump could be on camera stating unequivocally that he will launch nuclear weapons at Ukraine if they don't turn over Hillary's e-mail server and Republicans would argue that it can't be admissible because he didn't consent to the recording.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The tech companies will save us! :kiddo:

https://twitter.com/C_Sommerfeldt/status/1179540785206824961

quote:

“They said to target homeless people because they’re the least likely to say anything to the media,” the ex-staffer said. “The homeless people didn’t know what was going on at all.”

quote:

They said Randstad project leaders specifically told the TVCs to go after people of color, conceal the fact that people’s faces were being recorded and even lie to maximize their data collections.

Some were told to gather the face data by characterizing the scan as a “selfie game” similar to Snapchat, they said.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 3, 2019

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

She can't do jack poo poo; the FEC is more toothless and impotent than Biden when he wakes up in the morning.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

megan mccain and her dad are/were bad people.

What's crazy is I actually still think McCain was better than the average Republican.

And he was still horrible!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ah poo poo, he's going to MAL?

There goes traffic again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Why even bother with this? It's not like people are going to flip their stance at this point. Seems like a waste of money

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Pants Donkey posted:

If the races were swapped, I’d imagine Guyers would be quietly given life and the story would be a footnote in the local papers.

If he were a cop it would still probably be a slap on the wrist, comparatively.

If Guyger were still the cop, there would be DALLAS STRONG thin blue line stickers absolutely everywhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pellisworth posted:

Basically, the whole Biden smear campaign could well have worked if it'd quietly worked its way into mainstream media during the campaign. But Rudy and Trump are very stupid and did crimes to try to force the conspiracy theories into reality, then admitted they did crimes and want to do more.

So the whole thing has backfired. Instead of vague rumors of the Bidens doing shady things in Ukraine and China landing in the NYT which would actually hurt Biden, the President is criming loudly to try to get foreign governments to investigate the Bidens. It's being pushed by his cronies and right-wing media, so it's having the opposite effect on moderate and Dem voters who are the audience where Biden smears might actually be effective.

Yeah, these sorts of things only work when everyone involved is aware that it's all an act that has to follow a script.

OAquinas posted:

She can't do jack poo poo; the FEC is more toothless and impotent than Biden when he wakes up in the morning.

Isn't the FEC currently dormant thanks to a lack of board members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

:saddowns:

...Does Kevin Mcarthy live on our planet, and own a TV or phone?

kevin mccarthy is one of the stupidest people in the house and was almost too stupid for house republicans to tolerate in leadership