Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had that level up bug once but I couldn't tell you what caused it. Before I revamped my modlist I remember using a mod that added a button press to open the level up menu so it wasn't automatic.
Here it is: Delay Level Up

That one doesn't appear to be part of the modlist, and the VNV setup is so picky that putting that in there would probably break something at this point. I'll probably start over with the list linked earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bloody Pom posted:

That one doesn't appear to be part of the modlist, and the VNV setup is so picky that putting that in there would probably break something at this point. I'll probably start over with the list linked earlier.

Does Viva New Vegas use mod organizer? because adding a mod with MO makes it so you can't gently caress up the install, just possibly some saves, but you were already talking about scrapping the run.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It uses MO2, it just also uses a bunch of tailor-made .esp replacers and zMerge patches, so adding in things from outside the list could make things screwy,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bloody Pom posted:

It uses MO2, it just also uses a bunch of tailor-made .esp replacers and zMerge patches, so adding in things from outside the list could make things screwy,

You can drop mods in and out of MO2 without impacting the install. Again, you might gently caress up the save and need to start over with a new character, any modding whatsoever or just playing New Vegas might do that (base game with patches is a lot more stable than what the game was on release, but it's still touchy). But you won't have to start over from scratch.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Unless the list you followed has a mod in it that directly messes with the levelup GUI, the mod Arcsquad won't break anything. Especially if you use MO and you can easily test it without loving up your setup.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Did nexus just purge a bunch of mods? I was looking at various things to add just yesterday and the links have broken. Maybe they just reshuffled?

EDIT: yeah, looks like Nexus has changed their links again.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 1, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Could you give an example? Like a link or a mod name

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the link format in this thread is different from the format nexus uses right now so all the links are broken. just open a random mod on nexus and copy/paste the mod id

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
why the hell do they change the link structure so drat often

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Are we sure they've actually changed it? It still seems to be https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/XXXXX to me, which is what they've used for years

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
When they dropped the old mod organizer for the new one they did a bit of a shake up with their mod database. The mods are still there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Light Gun Man posted:

why the hell do they change the link structure so drat often

Like two years ago

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah the OP has not been updated in aaaaaggeeeees too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Found a fix to the problem I was having. Opening and closing a container after leveling up seems to get the menu to appear. I just never found out because I'm using the FO4 mouseover loot mod. :rolleye:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you using Lootmenu or Quickloot? I recall Quickloot having some bugs.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

Like two years ago

i just remember going through mods linking to mods and every time the links were all broken and there were like 4 different URL structures showing up on different mods. bugs me, i dunno.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah LootMenu is the one that's actually being updated, so you'll want to use that one

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I found that the new version of TTW does have New Vegas weapons like the Anti-materiel Rifle and Light Machine Gun, but they're now all high level (16+) vendor-only deals, which basically means you have to level up to that and wait for the vendors to restock before you bother with the Waters of Life, in which Enclave soldiers with 30 DT start showing up. The Enclave troopers also sometimes have the Plasma Caster, which is handy.

You can now also ask for AP ammunition for turning in stuff at Fort Independence, which is really nice. It's practically the only way to keep the Anti-Materiel Rifle fed, since .50 is extremely rare in vendor inventories.

The stated reason for the lever action weapons (save for the ones found in Point Lookout and Lincoln's Repeater) and obvious NCR standard issue weaponry such as the Service Rifle and 9mm Pistol not appearing is for lore reasons and the desire to keep both wastelands distinctly separate. No idea why the Silenced .22 Pistol doesn't appear on the East Coast but the SMG does, though.

The one change I do not like is the old Fallout 3 minigun spin timer being restored (the vanilla New Vegas spin timer is 0.25 seconds, the Fallout 3 spin timer is 0.75 seconds). I know it's because the minigun appears much earlier in DC, but the weapon is practically unusable as a result.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Did they seriously not fix the Enclave people having ungodly DR and being common enemies at the same time? It completely borks the difficulty curve of the main quest of Fallout 3. :|

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Did they seriously not fix the Enclave people having ungodly DR and being common enemies at the same time? It completely borks the difficulty curve of the main quest of Fallout 3. :|
It's deliberately left in because 1) it amuses the author that starting in DC is essentially hard mode and 2) they, along with super mutants (who now have 15 DT like their Mariposa counterparts) are supposed to be an actual threat and not the joke vanilla Fallout 3 portrayed them as.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Has there been any news regarding the New Vegas remake for Fallout 4? The official website hasn't had an update in like 9 months. I know that's not a good sign but still

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Upmarket Mango posted:

Has there been any news regarding the New Vegas remake for Fallout 4? The official website hasn't had an update in like 9 months. I know that's not a good sign but still

They're still going, just not a huge amount to announce at the moment. Their Facebook page is typically more active, and includes links to mods that make up components of the overall F4NV project (Including one released just last week).

There's a big-rear end interview with one of the project leads here if you want a deep dive into the project and how it's organized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rwhj3zmIyA

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

maybe one day the minigun will be good

today is not that day

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

Given the rate of progress on the Morrowind in Skyrim remake, I really wouldn't hold my breath for it.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Looking forward to the Morrowind remake in the Oblivion engine to come out.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Skwirl posted:

Given the rate of progress on the Morrowind in Skyrim remake, I really wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Yeah, from what I've seen the project is well organized enough that I give it a very good chance to come out eventually, but it's also such a monumental undertaking that it's going to be a very, very long time before it does.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is it the NV or the FO3 port where they asked Bethesda about including the voiceover files in the mod, and when Bethesda told them they were idiots they decided to record all of the dialogue anew with amateurs

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

Is it the NV or the FO3 port where they asked Bethesda about including the voiceover files in the mod, and when Bethesda told them they were idiots they decided to record all of the dialogue anew with amateurs

First one, then the other.

The NV one has gotten at least one pretty good sound-alike though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997PAfxFiGE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should have not even mentioned the voiceover stuff because then Bethesda was legally obligated to defend their IP. Finish the work first and then release it so at least a build is always available before the C&D hammer strikes.

Besides you know somebody is going to release an audio pack with the original voiceover at some point. It's like when someone released the entire Rome total war soundtrack for Rome 2.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They should have not even mentioned the voiceover stuff because then Bethesda was legally obligated to defend their IP. Finish the work first and then release it so at least a build is always available before the C&D hammer strikes.

Besides you know somebody is going to release an audio pack with the original voiceover at some point. It's like when someone released the entire Rome total war soundtrack for Rome 2.
Or just create an installer-tool that takes your existing FO3/FNV install, unpacks the voice files and copies them over. Perfectly feasible. And while Bethesda will say that isn't allowed (which they kind of have to say because otherwise they'll possibly open the door for legal problems) it is perfectly legal.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Sure, Tale of Two Wastelands has a perfectly legal workaround that's been well received by the community, but what if instead we didn't do that and did the worst possible option instead.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just release Fallout 3 and New Vegas in the FO4 engine, Besthesda. Take my loving money, you cowards.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Internet Wizard posted:

Sure, Tale of Two Wastelands has a perfectly legal workaround that's been well received by the community, but what if instead we didn't do that and did the worst possible option instead.

The difference is that Fallout 3 and New Vegas use the same kind of audio file, whereas 4 uses a different format. It's dead simple to convert the files (And the F4NV team had already created a tool to do so), but according to Bethesda modifying the files (As opposed to just moving them) is what places it into the legal no-no zone.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The difference is that Fallout 3 and New Vegas use the same kind of audio file, whereas 4 uses a different format. It's dead simple to convert the files (And the F4NV team had already created a tool to do so), but according to Bethesda modifying the files (As opposed to just moving them) is what places it into the legal no-no zone.
Releasing a tool that takes a file from game A, modifies it and places it into game B is perfectly legal. If it wasn't somehow then a whole fuckton of community-made tools and even Bethesda's own various toolsets wouldn't be allowed.
The rule for porting content between Bethesda's games is don't distribute any files from the games and don't contact Bethesda. And in return Bethesda will look away and pretend you don't exist.

Bethesda will always say "No, stop right now!" whenever they're contacted directly about a port-mod. For them the main issue is most likely the various licence agreements. Take a random song that Bethesda licenced for use in FO3. If a modder ports that song over to FO4 and Bethesda were to approve that, then it potentially opens the door for whoever holds to rights to said song to hit Bethesda over the head with a bat made out of humongous fines because Bethesda facilitated that song being used outside of the licenced scope.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 3, 2019

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Playing through tale of two wastelands right now with the Hokuto Shinken new vegas mod and its very fun and fixes the bullet sponginess, highly recommend.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I know that the OP hasn’t been updated in a year or two, so is there another place that I can find a solid selection of graphic update and QoL mods?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

hey quick question, who ends up in charge if the Omerta bosses and Cachino end up killing each other

e: I sided with Cachino and had convinced him to take out the other two, and when all of us met up I convinced Big Sal that I was working for Nero, who then got shot by Big Sal. Cachino opened fire on Big Sal but then Big Sal shot him right over the sofa and then opened fire on me. Now I'm the only one left.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 7, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

i am tim! posted:

I know that the OP hasn’t been updated in a year or two, so is there another place that I can find a solid selection of graphic update and QoL mods?

I think the popular guide right now is Viva New Vegas, I also found this other guide made by some youtuber which I haven't checked out yet.

They're both (probably) worth checking out, though they might disagree on some points. Just pick what you like.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 7, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I just did VNV with Wabbajack and holy poo poo it is wonderfully simple to do. Took me maybe half an hour of actually doing stuff to have everything running, with downloading and generating LoD adding another hour or so of background stuff that doesn't require any input. Wabbajack is the bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

ThaumPenguin posted:

I think the popular guide right now is Viva New Vegas, I also found this other guide made by some youtuber which I haven't checked out yet.

They're both (probably) worth checking out, though they might disagree on some points. Just pick what you like.

Oh man I was just about to ask for something like this. I think I'm gonna stick with VNV and pick some stuff up from the other guide, like this rad as hell pipboy.