Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

So Texas was cool but I am very happy to be home. Our trip wasn't really a vacation so we didn't have much time to relax. Texas Goons, your food options are heavenly but the highways are nightmares. I don't think I could ever live there.

It was almost all in DFW, right?

I lived there for two loving decades. And for much of that, I drove for a living. 635 is horrible, 75 is okay so long as you don't mind gridlock from 5am-10pm, the tollway is the Dallas Autobahn until you get into Frisco (where city cops can actually stop you; south of there only state DPS can stop you). 35 is a goddamned trainwreck even if you've lived there forever. 30 is suicide (especially near downtown).

Come to Austin, where you get to decide if you'll take an upper or lower decker every time you hit 35. :v: (but seriously people here do drive a little better... putting on your signal occasionally gets someone to let you in, instead of a 110% chance of someone swooping in to box you in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We were all over the DFW region but we stayed in Richardson. My dude took us to some ritzy fuckin places to eat and I think we spent more on 3 meals than I usually spend to eat for a month.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

STR posted:

110% chance of someone swooping in to box you in

Hello, I live in DFW and can confirm how lovely the drivers are here. Everyone is constantly fighting for position lol

Other than the driving, hope you enjoyed the visit though!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Hello, I live in DFW and can confirm how lovely the drivers are here. Everyone is constantly fighting for position lol

Other than the driving, hope you enjoyed the visit though!

I did. That BBQ made me cry because I'm worried I won't ever eat anything that good again. Deep Ellum was pretty cool. I wish we'd had more time to site-see but we were there primarily for a wedding.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You can find bbq that good, but the real issue is the sauce. Nobody outside texas does the sauce right for me. :(

Thankfully the local bbq truck has a spicy sauce that is just perfect and if ya'll are ever north of tampa/st pete, hit me up and I will show you the real deal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

2 beers and I'm going to regret the morning after. A poo poo load of rum or whiskey? No problem*. It's like a dad superpower.

* I lied.

My terrible drinking super power is I literally cannot black out. I can get alcohol poisoning drunk (like 20+ shots worth) and I will still remember every embarrassing thing I did in that state, down to the littlest detail. In fact, I think I remember it more vividly than otherwise because I still haven't forgotten any of them to this day.

I don't get that drunk any more.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Enjoy your overdraft fees + payment cancellation fees + bank service fees + they somehow accidentally cancel both payments and now you're late on your mortgage fees.

Agreed, gently caress banks for ever but in this case at least the customer service rep was super helpful and waived all fees.

I thanked her profusely because it was my dumbass fault.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

You can find bbq that good, but the real issue is the sauce. Nobody outside texas does the sauce right for me. :(

Thankfully the local bbq truck has a spicy sauce that is just perfect and if ya'll are ever north of tampa/st pete, hit me up and I will show you the real deal.

You're dead on, we have a local joint that is amazing but the sauce didn't come close.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Agreed, gently caress banks for ever but in this case at least the customer service rep was super helpful and waived all fees.

I thanked her profusely because it was my dumbass fault.

Everyone should use a credit union because banks suck, even if they pretend they don't sometimes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know if anyone remembers Mike Portnoy with the Hello Kitty drum set, but he just upgraded to the Pokemon set and it's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbfHs4tph9k

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Rhyno posted:

You're dead on, we have a local joint that is amazing but the sauce didn't come close.

Lucky for you you have a friend in DFW who can mail you the good local sauces.

Also, re: sauce chat, what's the consensus on the vinegar-y carolina style stuff? I like it every once in a while but I prefer the sweet & savory most of the time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't like vinegar-y sauces. There's a local place that does a "carolina gold" sauce that's this sweet mustard sauce and it's awesome and a new fave. Trader Joe's has something pretty similar to it that I've been using. I don't have a good source for something for brisket, though. And I love me some brisket.

But yeah, good sauces are hard to find. Haven't had too much luck with off the shelf stuff. I've tried making my own a few times and it never turns out that great either. v:v:v

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
vinegar sauce is the best

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Siochain posted:

Claire is awesome. Molly is amazing. Brad is the man. loving love how BA is killing it on youtube.
Also, the recipes tend to be great.

It doesn't work great with recent sobriety chat, but Rick making the apple pie with vodka as part of the crust was great. "Okay, dough goes back in the fridge for a bit, and we have ice cold Grey Goose here, so it's martini time!" Also, he put a respectable amount of apples in the pie.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Mustard is the best. Vinegar is good for whole hog, but I prefer mustard.
For beef, I want something good enough I don't need to sauce.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KozmoNaut posted:

It really is fantastically beautiful in the highlands. It may just be my favorite place in the whole world. Schwarzwald is a close contender.

That reminds me, we got to see Castle Aaaaaaaargh (really Castle Stalker), which was pretty cool. Only from a distance though, but I wish we could have gone there and inside.

Some of my favorites

Carlaverock in southern Scotland

Castle Kilchurn on Loch Fyne

Tarbert Castle

Loch Lomond Park, going up the mountain from the west coast to the east

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

So Texas was cool but I am very happy to be home. Our trip wasn't really a vacation so we didn't have much time to relax. Texas Goons, your food options are heavenly but the highways are nightmares. I don't think I could ever live there.

A fair description.
It's better a bit out of the metro areas, but then you run into suburban hell, depending on the area, and lose some of the food options, of course.

STR posted:

It was almost all in DFW, right?

I lived there for two loving decades. And for much of that, I drove for a living. 635 is horrible, 75 is okay so long as you don't mind gridlock from 5am-10pm, the tollway is the Dallas Autobahn until you get into Frisco (where city cops can actually stop you; south of there only state DPS can stop you). 35 is a goddamned trainwreck even if you've lived there forever. 30 is suicide (especially near downtown).

Come to Austin, where you get to decide if you'll take an upper or lower decker every time you hit 35. :v: (but seriously people here do drive a little better... putting on your signal occasionally gets someone to let you in, instead of a 110% chance of someone swooping in to box you in).

30 through Arlington and up to Dallas isn't quite as bad since they widened it and finished construction. Still poop through Dallas DT, though, and I will admit that I rarely experience I-30 at the height of rush hour, so my experience is skewed. Everything else is spot on. I really don't understand how 635 is such a shitshow, but it literally always has been. BTW, if you've ever heard the parody song "9 Coronas", the LBJ mentioned in the song ("LBJ is way too narrow after 9 Coronas!",) that's 635, AKA the Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Alright, which one of you did this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3KWN7LlYMO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

T-Square
May 14, 2009

^^^All signs point to powershift.

KozmoNaut posted:

Claire is absolutely fantastic and Brad is like a big golden retriever puppy, always so enthusiastic and supportive and happy-go-lucky. They have amazing chemistry on the show. He's like the perfect slacker big brother.

My favorite BA episodes are the ones where Brad and Matty go noodlin' for catfish. Matty is so out of his element, but he goes along with it, because how can you not just go along with Brad's antics?

One day when I was home sick and didn't particularly feel like watching anything, I noticed there was a random rear end BA channel on my Roku TV, so I downloaded it and they had some play list of all Brad poo poo on it, so I hung out with him for the day.

Speaking of cooking and YouTube, I highly recommend checking out Binging With Babish. He's taking on a ton of different projects now so I don't think he updates Binging and Basics every Tuesday and Thursday anymore, and he's not necessarily an expert chef or anything, but he does a really good job editing and voicing over his videos. I've gotten way into cooking because of him, and have recreated a ton of poo poo from his show over the last two years, with varying degrees of success. I'm also holding him responsible for the amount of kitchen tools and gadgets I've bought, including a set of tiny whisks :3:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I did. That BBQ made me cry because I'm worried I won't ever eat anything that good again.

You won't.

I'm still trying how to figure out an efficient way to catch a flight to Love Field, get a ride to Deep Ellum, buy a suitcase full of BBQ, and get it back to VA with me in under 24 hours.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty drat sure the relationship is over at this point. Massive fight because... I'd been up 22 hours and needed sleep badly (I work nights, it was my day off, so I stayed up a bit later than usual), and she wanted :gizz:. I wound up sleeping in the garage just to GTFO (that suuuuucked even with a big box fan), and she eventually figured out I didn't really go to a hotel (woke up to the garage door being flung open several hours later; I disconnected it from the opener when I laid down, but it doesn't have a lock on it). It's the first time I've ever raised my voice at someone I'm in a relationship with, and I feel lovely about that, but you can only press my buttons so long before I fire back.

No words spoken so far today. The moment I have the keys to a working car in my hands is when I open up a storage unit and start hauling all my crap over there (preferably right when she leaves for work in the AM). 5x5 should hold the bulk of it (the one big item can handle being stood up on its side).

Rhyno posted:

We were all over the DFW region but we stayed in Richardson. My dude took us to some ritzy fuckin places to eat and I think we spent more on 3 meals than I usually spend to eat for a month.

There's no such thing as a ritzy place in Richardson, except for that itty bitty corner of new development in the old telecom corridor (basically between Renner and 190, east of 75, near the Plano Fry's). :colbert:

If there's a next time in Richardson, go to Del's Charcoal Burgers for a decent burger (been around since the 50s or 60s IIRC?). Olive Burger is really good too, though they're on the other side of 75, down Beltline a bit (still inside Richardson, but not much). Or Burger Street is also on Beltline; they're a DFW chain with pretty good burgers. Del's serves up old school messy burgers, complete with non-ADA restrooms with doors narrow enough that an average person has to turn sideways to get through the door. They cook their burgers on a proper charcoal grill.

Rhyno posted:

I did. That BBQ made me cry because I'm worried I won't ever eat anything that good again. Deep Ellum was pretty cool. I wish we'd had more time to site-see but we were there primarily for a wedding.

You missed the glory days of Deep Ellum (mid-late 90s). It got overtaken by a lot of crime in the 00s, but it's bounced back quite a bit since then. Lots of awesome places down there, but the rent and property taxes have driven most of the cool indie places out (... kinda like Austin) outside of nightclubs and bars.

West End used to have its own 4 or 5 story mall (West End Marketplace) - mostly non-traditional stores, but the Tilt in the basement was awesome, and a decent movie theater on the top floor. It's still standing, but (a) been closed for ages and (b) it's been gutted for several years. They took down all the Dallas Alley neon along the side of the building too.

Darchangel posted:

30 through Arlington and up to Dallas isn't quite as bad since they widened it and finished construction. Still poop through Dallas DT, though, and I will admit that I rarely experience I-30 at the height of rush hour, so my experience is skewed. Everything else is spot on. I really don't understand how 635 is such a shitshow, but it literally always has been. BTW, if you've ever heard the parody song "9 Coronas", the LBJ mentioned in the song ("LBJ is way too narrow after 9 Coronas!",) that's 635, AKA the Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway.

Fair enough. I lived on 30 just before Rockwall, so I had to drive that shitlane to get anywhere. Unless I wanted to drop :10bux: on tolls, but even then, rush hour meant a minimum 20 minute drive to get to the turnpike (<2 miles away). Once you're west of 35E it's not nearly as bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We ate at DA Mario by Ford Field and Nosh. I don't know anything about Dallas really but the 8 course meal at Nosh was about $250 per person. Thankfully I didn't pay for that one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Some of my favorites
Carlaverock in southern Scotland

Castle Kilchurn on Loch Fyne

Tarbert Castle

Loch Lomond Park, going up the mountain from the west coast to the east

I'd been thinking about a surprise trip over there sometime next spring, sure looks like it would be a week or two well spent.

When will I learn I'm bad at big projects? Bought the formula ford project this spring, still fighting with it and running into one thing after another. It's nickel and dimeing me to death on a daily basis, figure out one thing and run into another. So clearly the solution is to buy a complete car that only needs a couple things (battery, harness, tires, fluids, setup) and go racing right? This one was prepped by a pro shop, in December of 2017, before the owner passed away after only getting it on track once. Price is right so we'll see how it works out.

booze chat: we usually don't drink much, every few months we'll have a fort weekend. Build a pillow/blanket fort then drink and watch movies all weekend.

so sick of the whole reproductive industry, $20k+ later we have nothing but a ton of stress to show for it. I was on meds for 11 months that made me severely depressed and useless (which seriously hosed with the race car progress) only to verify I'll never be able to father a child. Now we're using a donor but they keep loving up here cycle so we've had three 'near misses', each time she's on the same meds I was on but at a MUCH higher dose which makes here feel like poo poo and be depressed. Then another miss for more depression. We're not giving up yet but for gently caress sake I can't wait for this poo poo to be over whether we end up with a kid or not. please don't quote this, just needed to get it off my chest and will probably delete it later

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

We ate at DA Mario by Ford Field and Nosh. I don't know anything about Dallas really but the 8 course meal at Nosh was about $250 per person. Thankfully I didn't pay for that one.

A friend of mine used to be the executive chef at Nosh. Good taste, but holy :10bux: is it expensive.

He got sick of doing the whole "executive chef" poo poo and owns a burger counter way out of town now (been around for ages, he bought it about 6 or 7 years ago - and he was smart, he hasn't changed a drat thing about the place aside from introducing onion rings). He's not making nearly as much, but much less stress, and he bought a house nearby (for $150kish or so; it would have been a $300-600k house in DFW proper depending what part of town he went for). His commute is now 5 minutes instead of an hour and a half to Nosh (he bought the house while working there). He's making enough from it to raise 3 kids, support a stay-at-home mother, pay his mortgage, and still put a fair bit into savings. :golfclap:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 3, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

A friend of mine used to be the executive chef there. Good taste, but holy money is it expensive.

He got sick of doing the whole "executive chef" poo poo and owns a burger joint way out of town now (been around for ages, he bought it about 6 or 7 years ago - and he was smart, he hasn't changed a drat thing about the place aside from introducing onion rings). He's not making nearly as much, but much less stress, and he bought a house nearby (for $150kish or so; it would have been a $300-600k house in DFW proper depending what part of town he went for). His commute is now 5 minutes instead of an hour and a half to Nosh (he bought the house while working there).

My friend's wife is friends with the newish executive chef (this is a new Nosh location from what I overheard). Dude was kind of odd and got lovely when I declined the tequila sorbet.

And honestly the burger we had for lunch was better than anything I ate at Nosh. I'm not fancy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

loving hell, NitroSpazz. :glomp:

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Rhyno posted:

I took my wife to DaMario for an anniversary dinner and the food was good but holy poo poo not "wipe-out-my-budget" good. We at least bonded over the experience and got vodka drunk to forget :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RoboFrance_29 posted:

I took my wife to DaMario for an anniversary dinner and the food was good but holy poo poo not "wipe-out-my-budget" good. We at least bonded over the experience and got vodka drunk to forget :shrug:

We ate somewhere swanky every night we were there and it just reminded me that I am not fancy or classy at all. Gimmie a gyro served up by a sweaty dude who speaks no english and I'm far more satisfied.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Quotin' that.

Take care of yourself and your people, guys. My issues are minor compared to what's going on with some of y'all, but even so, it's easy to get wrapped up in stuff and get all twisted in place.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Rhyno posted:

We ate somewhere swanky every night we were there and it just reminded me that I am not fancy or classy at all. Gimmie a gyro served up by a sweaty dude who speaks no english and I'm far more satisfied.

:hmmyes:

all food should be food-truck food imo

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also quoting this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Take care of yourselves and those close to you, dudes :glomp:

T-Square posted:

I highly recommend checking out Binging With Babish.

His video on cajun food is absolutely wonderful. We made gumbo following the recipe from the video and it is hella good eatin'.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RoboFrance_29 posted:

:hmmyes:

all food should be food-truck food imo

Goddamn yes please. Portillo's is opening here shortly and they're starting food truck service on Monday. I can't fuckin wait.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Rhyno posted:

I'm with you, bud. Every time I eat somewhere fancy, I'm generally underwhelmed. I mean, the food is *good*, but not good enough *to me* for the price. I will admint up front that I'm not picky, and really don't have a taste for subtle, which I'm sure plays into it, but a $100 steak had better make me jizz my pants, or I'll just get a decent $30 one, know what I'm saying? A good burger, even.
Pretty much similar to why I can never see myself wearing expensive jewelry or a fancy watch. Oh, you have a $1000 watch? That's nice. So does it show you messages, or track sleep, or have multiple timers/alarms like my Apple Watch? No? Eh. Hell, the Watch is the most expensive watch I've ever had, and it was on sale for $150.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks guys, just feels good to write it all out sometimes. I could be much worse, we have our health and a very good support system.

find out if it's prostate cancer tomorrow because FML just what we needed on top of all this other poo poo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat dude.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED
New to this thread but for real, NitroSpazzz, take care. I hope things are on the less-lovely side for you and yours soon.

Can't post enough :glomp:'s but I'd gladly get PMs if you need to vent some more to a stranger.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Darchangel posted:

I was amazed to find Shiner in Pennsylvania when I was there for work 9 years ago - I didn't have the opportunity to go beer shopping when I was in Chicago, though.

When I first moved Seattle from Dallas and was feeling super homesick I was walking down the street and saw a BBQ place that had Shiner posters and was using Shiner six pack holders for their condiments and it almost made cry 😂. Shiner makes it everywhere.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

X-post from the A/T fishing thread and the outdoor subforum's new lurecraft thread!

My first mold came in. 5.5" kicker worm mold from angling AI! I am excite :yayclod:. The machining on it is just loving fantastic and I can't wait to start using it. Now if household stuff would stop breaking I could buy the rest of the stuff to start injecting baits. Hopefully I won't need a vacuum chamber with the plastisol I'll be using, but the humidity here in florida may make it necessary. :saddowns:

And for fun, this mold compared to a rabbit ear joy stick from 13 Fishing!

The body of the kicker worm is a bit narrower and its a 1/2" shorter. Perfect for throwing on a little shaky head jig or swimming along with a light (1/8-1/4oz) texas rig. Gonna have to experiment with using floating plastics, salt, etc to figure out a desirable mix for various fishing styles I think.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Elmnt80 posted:

X-post from the A/T fishing thread and the outdoor subforum's new lurecraft thread!

Makes me think of this thing I had when I was a kid: