Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

With the Challenge I've been jotting down notes here and there as I watch because I like to watch movies stoned and right before bed, which is not conducive to writing them up properly in the morning.

Yeah, this is great advice. If you can't think of what you want to write when it comes time to post it in the thread, you can just clean up/clarify your notes and post those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

this is the only thread on this dead gay forum where people tolerate me can i post em here instead

if you post in that thread I promise I will watch Evil Bong for the challenge

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

With the Challenge I've been jotting down notes here and there as I watch because I like to watch movies stoned and right before bed, which is not conducive to writing them up properly in the morning.

I jot down my notes and thoughts while watching too. Then I just refine it when I'm adding the image links and whatnots.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

I jot down my notes and thoughts while watching too. Then I just refine it when I'm adding the image links and whatnots.

And that is above and beyond. It's not really required(but it is appreciated!). Some people write a few sentences about each film, it's not like anyone's handing out grades.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've already watched Evil Bong 2 for the challenge because Kvlt said he was participating. I refuse to watch anymore--ever--until he participates.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

And that is above and beyond. It's not really required(but it is appreciated!). Some people write a few sentences about each film, it's not like anyone's handing out grades.

I know, but here I am with a bunch of horror film aficionados outside my friend circle who can not only discuss themes but understand something being so bad it's good. I can't help but be wordy and show off what interesting posters I find.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drat, Ouija is not a good movie

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Ouija 2 is actually much better.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Stink Billyums posted:

Is this streaming anywhere?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stink Billyums posted:

I can easily believe that. Ouija is the worst movie I have ever seen that involves a Ouija board

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

Don't do it, he still owes me a writeup. All of Kvlt's bong promises are lies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Irony.or.Death posted:

Don't do it, he still owes me a writeup. All of Kvlt's bong promises are lies.

I bet he's never actually watched a single Evil Bong

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Stink Billyums posted:

yeah it's surprisingly decent, nothing amazing but it's a solid ghost story. I never bothered with the first one, but I saw Ouija 2 because I'm a fan of Mike Flanagan in general and I wasn't disappointed.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
If anyone is on the fence about watching Viy (you should, it's awesome) my girlfriend sent me this link she found today while looking up a movie for a Slavic professor. She works in the foreign language department at a major university and curates their collection of foreign films, and she assured me Viy was already in there. Anyway you can watch it in Russian with English subtitles for free at the link.

e: Nevermind, it lets you watch it for a few minutes then pops up a paywall. drat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Viy is indeed awesome. I saw it at a rep screening last year so I'm declining to rewatch for the challenge or MOTM since that experience was so perfect.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I made a twitter to randomly post gifs of horror title cards that I think are neat:
https://twitter.com/CardsTitle

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If I'm really tired in the middle of my days off for the week, am I (generally) going to fall asleep watching the iconic/classic Universal monster films? Obviously this is a subjective as poo poo question, but I'm torn between "You know, I have this collection BR sitting on my shelf and it is the season for it" and "Ehh I'm too tired to focus properly".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

If I'm really tired in the middle of my days off for the week, am I (generally) going to fall asleep watching the iconic/classic Universal monster films? Obviously this is a subjective as poo poo question, but I'm torn between "You know, I have this collection BR sitting on my shelf and it is the season for it" and "Ehh I'm too tired to focus properly".

Depends.

Most of them are too short to be boring. The original Frankenstein has this strange atmosphere that can really draw you in with the lack of music and just everything around it. Bride is an all time classic movie where SOMETHING is always happening.

The Mummy is way, way, way slower. Its sequels often dance on being boring.

Dracula has a lot of life and stuff to love even if it doesn't have a real ending.

The Invisible Man would be a hoot to watch while worn out. That's a trippy film about some one going off their tits after they lose the ability to see their tits.

Wolf Man is just a drat good, efficient movie, and possibly one of the tightest films ever made in how it establishes *EVERYTHING* about werewolf lore that we know and love to this day, all around a big character drama and tragedy, in such a short run time.

Basically if you don't mind your movies in black and white, there are far, far worse films to check out

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hate how the Lon Chaney wolfman looks. I can never get over that. He doesn't look anything like a wolf, just an rear end in a top hat in makeup.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah it's a very unrealistic movie.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat Creepshow episode two is REALLY loving fun

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

I hate how the Lon Chaney wolfman looks. I can never get over that. He doesn't look anything like a wolf, just an rear end in a top hat in makeup.

Literally the best werewolf we'd get until the late 70s early 80s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just make all werewolfs look like the one from Kamen Rider Kiva

edit: that show also had the best vampire designs.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 4, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I really like human looking Wolfmen. There's something about a werewolf just being a hairy dude with fangs that appeals to me.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I made a twitter to randomly post gifs of horror title cards that I think are neat:
https://twitter.com/CardsTitle

This is good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FreudianSlippers posted:

I really like human looking Wolfmen. There's something about a werewolf just being a hairy dude with fangs that appeals to me.

Hey :heysexy:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oliver Reed’s wolfman in the Hammer movie Curse of the Werewolf is a fuckin beast.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I like the Lon Chaney look because I kind of hate stuff where werewolves are just wolves. I like for it be some clear hybrid between a man and wolf.

Like, the American Werewolf in London transformation is amazing, but I'm not crazy for the actual wolf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like a huge, beastly werewolf that definitely doesn't look like a man but is also way bigger than a wolf. American Werewolf in London is a bit disappointing in that way(as much as I love it), I really love the werewolves in The Howling and Dog Soldiers. More of a loup garou, I suppose.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Werewolves who are just regular wolves are lame.

Werewolves who are just hairy dudes are kinda lame but still better.

Werewolves who are big wolves are ok, I guess.

But I feel like its all debates of the past because there's no reason someone shouldn't be making hulking monsters today when even like bad and mediocre tv shows are doing it. We need more werewolf stuff.

What were Twilight werewolves? I bet they were regular wolves.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Twilight Werewolves are just really big CGI wolves.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like werewolves that look like giant animatronic rat monsters like the ones in Trick or Treat and Ginger Snaps.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, Werewolves are kind of the shittiest monsters.

Like they get paired with vampires all the time which is stupid because vampires are the best monsters.

Werewolves should be relegated to hangout with mummies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The ideal werewolf is a big slightly demonic animal that you only call a wolf because that's the closet thing you can think of. Like some of the descriptions of the Beast of Gevaudan.

But nobody does that, they just make them people with wolf heads and scraggly fur

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Trick'r'Treat is good but Krampus is better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with werewolves is too often people go with the "out of control, other person" thing where the human is a victim to the wolf. You gotta go with the "the wolf is my darker side and I'm being seduced by it" thing. That's got way more room for storytelling and fun.

But it also means you either need to make your protagonist the villain and have a strong hero in the wings, or build a strong enough protagonist for them to be a hero against. I think the formula just trips creators up in who is what role.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, Werewolves are kind of the shittiest monsters.

Like they get paired with vampires all the time which is stupid because vampires are the best monsters.

Werewolves should be relegated to hangout with mummies.

Bullshit, werewolves rules vampires drool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like the Lon Chaney look because I kind of hate stuff where werewolves are just wolves. I like for it be some clear hybrid between a man and wolf.

Like, the American Werewolf in London transformation is amazing, but I'm not crazy for the actual wolf.

I gotta agree that it's a bit lame when it's just like a normal wolf running around. Even Goosebumps knew better.

STAC Goat posted:

The problem with werewolves is too often people go with the "out of control, other person" thing where the human is a victim to the wolf. You gotta go with the "the wolf is my darker side and I'm being seduced by it" thing. That's got way more room for storytelling and fun.

But it also means you either need to make your protagonist the villain and have a strong hero in the wings, or build a strong enough protagonist for them to be a hero against. I think the formula just trips creators up in who is what role.

I think the former is way scarier. Knowing that you can turn into an out of control monster and have no power to stop it is frightening, becoming more of a dick less so.

Ginger Snaps did it best by having it be like an entire other personality that slowly takes you over that you have no power to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

And while you can tell good werwolf stories, I think that's kind of the core of the issue. They're just not as versatile as other monsters in terms of the stories you can tell with them or takes on them. They also suffer from the fact that The Fly is kind of the best werewolf movie despite having a different animal.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bullshit, werewolves rules vampires drool.
Find me a picture of a werewolf that's cooler than Count Orlok