Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bumble He posted:

yeah the line.between gamestore/game/metagame/in-game advertisement/advertisement etc. is so blurry with sc. remember that the last citcon was “sponsored“ by a fictional in-game manufacturer. this is all completely nuts and insane.

i think that this complete clusterfuck off lore/vision/fiction and reality is exactly what the cultists crave. there are definetly different types of “gamers“ out there. i love “run and gun“ games, pure simple fun. i give a rat's rear end about story, levelling up my character or collecting trophies/loot/etc. but that's what most gamers really enjoy.

the star citizen breed may get kicks out of hitting that “purchase“ button while feeling important and like a distinguished member of an exclusive private club.

thats my 2 cents, good night all you fud spreading devils.

I think the last VIP event for that stupid minelayer ship was claimed to be sponsored by Anvil, as well?
While I get that some people like in-lore things to leak out into the real world marketing, I think a lot of people would scratch their heads and ask what was going on if the next Blizzcon was "sponsored" by the Terran Confederacy or the next Nintendo Direct video was somehow "sponsored" by the royal family of Hyrule.
The CGI Bowser showing up in a Nintendo video and getting sent off-screen by their actual marketing exec named Bowser was kind of amusing, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite part of having a lovely starter ship (seriously I have considered upgrading to an Avenger for the sole purpose of making my lovely unfunny videos easier to make, which is insane) is that my ship (much like yours, I assume) DOES have a designated cargo space but you can't put the grabby hands boxes into that cargo space so uhhhhh as far as CIG is concerned I can go gently caress myself if I want to try 90% of their missions lol

correct - this Citizen is even making fun of it:

why can't i loving place a box in there? what the gently caress chris roberts, i'm not giving you money. i gave you $20 10 years ago (or however long its been) give me box storage technology.

you can fit a loving cow in there

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

So are we going to see an official response to the Companies House filing or to the Sunk Cost video? Are they going to rouse Ortwin from his coffin? Is Sandi going to tearfully pretend to leave social media again? #istranglewithsandi

I think you should leave the strangling to the professionals. Tickling is ok (with consent).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

0/0 = 0⁰ = 1.
Let's fight.

:eyepop:

trucutru posted:

You get an error, as long as that zero rear end in a top hat is a the bottom part it ruins the party for everyone, even itself.

But Chris manages to ruin the party even when he's at the top, so what does that make him?

tooterfish posted:

Depends.

Some systems will give you undefined. Some NaN. Some will hard lock and have to be reset.

Fortran resets the universe. This is why no one uses Fortran any more.

Note to self: don't touch Fortran.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

TheAgent posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/oct/02/revealed-global-video-games-giants-avoiding-millions-in-uk-tax-sony-sega

yeah, you can find CIGs/F42s stuff through that website they listed

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/competition/transparency/public?lang=en

roberts just found another tax haven scam after the germany movie scam stuff got a little illegal and I think the program isn't long for this world (this is the 3rd major report on it in 6 weeks)

Also, the tax relief is intended for games companies to actually release a game, and generate tax revenues from selling game copies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I come bearing a message from Beet:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Naughty Dog has re/release 7 games since Star Citizens announcement.

Uncharted released its final game AND a standalone expansion post 2014 start up time. So, technically, development didn't start until 2017 in Star Citizen math

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/489527126

mighty fine physics engine you got there, CIG.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the problem with starship troopers is that you cant just make a straight up propaganda flick, right down to the peaceniks deservedly dying, and expect that the target audience of teenage boys understand that its a satire or parody at all. Like the only way Starship Troopers is a satire is if you go into it with both a clear intellectual understanding of nazi propaganda and contempt for it. To the extent most people understood the satire, it was only at the level of the kids smashing the bugs being over the top. Even though that wasn't over the top it was literal portrayal of a mobilized fascist society.

and thats how we get star citizens

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 4, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The monthly report is out.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17266-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-September-2019

I liked this part:

quote:

They’re currently investigating the details so they can predefine the structural setup of the usables needed to allow the designers to create the infrastructure alongside the behaviors. These scenarios help identify edge cases to tackle on the second pass for the usable slotting code implementation.

They are investigating the details to predefine something to setup what they will need to create the infrastructure to detect edge cases... 8 years in. Early days!

quote:

Animation
The team completed the basics of the bartender and are getting started on drink mixing and the beer tap usable.

This is beyond parody.

quote:

Features (Gameplay)
September saw the PU Gameplay Team complete several features for Alpha 3.7, including improvements to the character customizer, Comm-Link UI, and VoIP & FoIP. They’re currently addressing the remaining bugs and polishing in preparation for release. Work also continued on the ‘Team’ and ‘Vehicle’ comm channels alongside improvements to the legacy code within the VoIP and Chat systems.

That's it, that's all the gameplay you get, you locusts.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the problem with starship troopers is that you cant just make a straight up propaganda flick, right down to the peaceniks deservedly dying, and expect that the target audience of teenage boys understand that its a satire or parody at all. Like the only way Starship Troopers is a satire is if you go into it with both a clear intellectual understanding of nazi propaganda and contempt for it. To the extent most people understood the satire, it was only at the level of the kids smashing the bugs being over the top. Even though that wasn't over the top it was literal portrayal of a mobilized fascist society.

and thats how we get star citizens

I'm not sure Verhoeven really intended ST as satire. It's not quite his milieu. I think the fascist imagery was intended more to make the audience squirm.
https://youtu.be/OaPlyLYFZkg

Also remember this is 1997. Neo-Nazi america is still isolated radicals getting set on fire by the ATF. There is no patriot act, no tea party, hell it predates the Star Report (published on 9-11-98). President Trump wasn't even a Simpsons joke yet.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm not sure Verhoeven really intended ST as satire. It's not quite his milieu. I think the fascist imagery was intended more to make the audience squirm.
https://youtu.be/OaPlyLYFZkg

Also remember this is 1997. Neo-Nazi america is still isolated radicals getting set on fire by the ATF. There is no patriot act, no tea party, hell it predates the Star Report (published on 9-11-98). President Trump wasn't even a Simpsons joke yet.

Verhoeven has outright stated in multiple interviews he loving hated the book and the movie was 100% intended as satire tearing its worldview apart. It's not a fan theory, it's right from the mouth of the director.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I unironically love the first Starship Troopers movie (and may we not discuss the sequels), the Roughnecks Chronicles TV series, the mildy obscure FPS, and the extremely obscure anime OVA. They are hugely fun and well done science fiction.The book I enjoy overall for the science fiction and the stark differences from other versions. I don't have a meaningful comment on the politics, but I know that at one point it was (and may still be) required reading for US Military Officers.

Edit: The loving propaganda videos sprinkled through the film absolutely kill me.

https://youtu.be/ijvTiDnWJLE

Edit Edit: Forgot about the weird CGI Anime movies that came out. They were... pretty bad but better than the original sequels. At least Casper van Dien was back.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 4, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: investigate the details to pre-define the structural

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jonny Nox posted:

Verhoeven ... satire. It's not quite his milieu.

Bruh.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

0/0 = 0⁰ = 1.
Let's fight.

poo poo. That is tucked up if true.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17266-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-September-2019

I liked this part:

They are investigating the details to predefine something to setup what they will need to create the infrastructure to detect edge cases... 8 years in. Early days!

This is beyond parody.

Staggered development yo!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Bofast posted:

I think the last VIP event for that stupid minelayer ship was claimed to be sponsored by Anvil, as well?

I think you'll find they were celebrating a legacy of fruitful cooperation

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

Also

quote:

Last month the team spent a lot of time pushing updates to the hair pipeline, which will feature in an upcoming video.

Important pipeline right there.

quote:

One of Narrative’s main focuses last month was a motion capture session that recorded new content for upcoming PU releases (such as the air traffic controller for New Babbage). This involved significant pre-production coordination with several teams including Live Design, Animation, Performance Capture, and Audio.

Still persevering with the mocap eh Chris.

quote:

This included checking the effects of large numbers of glowsticks in a single area and looking into why harvestable dung was duplicating itself and crashing the server.

Write your own punchline for that one.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm not sure Verhoeven really intended ST as satire. It's not quite his milieu.

:allbuttons:
This is the hottest take I've seen on anything ever.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wow, nice to see the mods actually taking action.

I presume those who get timeouts will now be saying the mods are poo poo, and they are going to set up their own subs (oh, they already did that).

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zushio posted:

I unironically love the first Starship Troopers movie (and may we not discuss the sequels), the Roughnecks Chronicles TV series, the mildy obscure FPS, and the extremely obscure anime OVA. They are hugely fun and well done science fiction.The book I enjoy overall for the science fiction and the stark differences from other versions. I don't have a meaningful comment on the politics, but I know that at one point it was (and may still be) required reading for US Military Officers.

Edit: The loving propaganda videos sprinkled through the film absolutely kill me.

https://youtu.be/ijvTiDnWJLE

Edit Edit: Forgot about the weird CGI Anime movies that came out. They were... pretty bad but better than the original sequels. At least Casper van Dien was back.

I quite liked the cartoon. At least they included the skinnys in it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The future is closer than you think.... all you've got to do is believe!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Guys, Star Citizen is good!

30 ships kamikazing a hammerehead.

Now this is pod rac... i mean goon worthy gameplay.

Everyone, quick, pledge now! Just a starter package will do!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm not sure Verhoeven really intended ST as satire. It's not quite his milieu.
did you also miss the satirical elements of robocop

Beet Wagon posted:

what a loving mess

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

TheAgent posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/oct/02/revealed-global-video-games-giants-avoiding-millions-in-uk-tax-sony-sega

yeah, you can find CIGs/F42s stuff through that website they listed

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/competition/transparency/public?lang=en

roberts just found another tax haven scam after the germany movie scam stuff got a little illegal and I think the program isn't long for this world (this is the 3rd major report on it in 6 weeks)

quote:

Regardless, the British Film Institute, which runs the test, has strongly backed the relief. It commissioned a report last year which claimed that for every £1 invested into the games industry via VGTR generated £4, based on employment and other economic spillover effects.
now where have i heard that before :thunk:

source: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1019681/Star-Citizen-Going-Beyond @12:20

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I think they meant Direct to Pocket Model.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

iospace posted:

glitched star citizen NPC in the background

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hair pipeline. What a game.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Adorable and horrifying, all at the same time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

In a working game with working physics, that could actually have been a cool video. Now it's just... lacking in fidelity.

trucutru posted:

I liked this part:

This is beyond parody.

Trucutru with a good summary.

Ah, yes. Aegis. I can't even keep track of all the stupid fictional corporations at this point. They are all so bland and generic it's almost impossible to remember.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Bofast posted:

Ah, yes. Aegis. I can't even keep track of all the stupid fictional corporations at this point. They are all so bland and generic it's almost impossible to remember.

thats the one that really punches above its weight

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tippis posted:

0/0 = 0⁰ = 1.
Let's fight.

wrong

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"what's a ratio over zero if the nume-"

"Nope."

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zebedy posted:

thats the one that really punches above its weight

I think you'll find that that's half the ships in SC, friend :)

Oh, side note for anyone who likes decent science fiction. I was just reminded of this audio drama series where Leonard Nimoy and John de Lanci (with some guests) play out old science fiction classics like Journey to the Center of the Earth or The Lost World.
Good for commuting or such :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I thought this was somewhat interesting from the patch notes:

quote:

Arena Commander and the Persistent Universe now maintain separate ship and item databases. The status of your ship in the persistent universe, including fuel state, damage state, and whether it is destroyed or not will have no impact on your ship setup in Arena Commander. Loadout customization is also specific to each game mode and is no longer transferable. Rented items and ships done in the Arena Commander customization menu will only be available in that mode and vice versa for purchased or rented items and ships in the persistent universe.

Double fleece? I thought all these modules would be seamless?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Do you need RoboHitler to make an appearance as the supreme commander who goose-steps into a banana peel while a slide whistle plays to confirm it is satire?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 4, 2019

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Something, something, Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npU9rT3obwo

It's doom and gloom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

chris roberts is a poo poo game designer