Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Finished up the fourth and last season of Preacher. It felt like an afterthought to the other seasons. I'd say it'd run out of steam, but it didn't even feel like it had any steam to start with. There were only a few memorable lines and situations, and most of it felt disjointed and pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Just finished season 2 of Dark

I need a minute. Woah

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I need a minute. Woah

Right?!

Is there an ETA on S3? Spring '20?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Undone is pretty cool. Gave me serious flashbacks to those 90s adventure computer games where they had live actors in CGI backgrounds. The story is a bit tepid but the characters are, although all horrible people, well grounded and portrayed. It is especially a joy to watch Rosa Salazar bring her character to life.

Finally started watching Babylon 5 and, though I'm only 3 episodes in and yes, parts of it are seriously dated and cheesy and yes, it borrows some stuff from Star Trek, the characters, story and acting (alright, some of the acting) have me thoroughly hooked. It never aired here so I'm going to enjoy going through it in the next couple of weeks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Meatgrinder posted:

Finally started watching Babylon 5 and, though I'm only 3 episodes in and yes, parts of it are seriously dated and cheesy and yes, it borrows some stuff from Star Trek, the characters, story and acting (alright, some of the acting) have me thoroughly hooked. It never aired here so I'm going to enjoy going through it in the next couple of weeks.

Good, just a warning that Season 1 is very "monster of the week" and can drag in places, but don't skip any of it, then strap in for the rest of the ride.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Went back at a 2nd try at AHS Cult and remember why I quit the first time. There are some interesting political and social insights but the series rips off so many books and movies I can't tell if they are Ryan's insights or just a by product of borrowing from so many sources. Honestly I think he was just trying to offend everyone but it ends up being muddy and boring. Evan Peters absolutely kills it though, he's too good for AHS.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Right?!

Is there an ETA on S3? Spring '20?

Nothing official yet but they started shooting it in May. There's some speculation that it might drop on June 27th, 2020, for reasons that are obvious if you've seen the show, but that's just fan theory at this point.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Good, just a warning that Season 1 is very "monster of the week" and can drag in places, but don't skip any of it, then strap in for the rest of the ride.

Yeah there is some clear arc building going on already. Really enjoying it so far.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Working on HBO's Rome series because the Roman History megathread in A/T said it's good. It's good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Finished Carnival Row so spoilers.

I liked the show in general but I hated the ending.

Part of it is because I feel like it just came out of nowhere. Like, we spent the whole season learning that Jonas wanted nothing to do with politics and also that he’s not a racist piece of poo poo cause he’s fine with loving the fairies. He also knows who kidnapped him and that the blackmail letter was forged by his sister-girlfriend. But then in the course of 10 minutes in the last episode he turns into Hitler 2.0 and orders the gestapo to rounding up the non-humans into ghettos. It just kinda feels like they cut out an episode, one that showed his struggles or whatever.

The other reason I hated the ending was just because of current events. So skip over this if politics triggers you but I just feel like its completely irresponsible in these days to leave off with an ending like that. Every normal person that watches the show is going to understand that the point of it was that they are the bad guys doing bad things and nobody should look up to them. But we are in an time where a video game about shooting nazis is controversial because right wing shitfucks are offended. I’m just worried that those same shitfucks are going to watch the last scene and take the complete opposite meaning.

Anyway, Puck, Fae, Pix, Critch. I understood that Critch was just a catch all slur for non-human. The fairy people are I think officially called Fae and Pix was more of a nickname than a slur right? What about the guys with the horns? I think they were only ever called Pucks so maybe that’s their name, but the people calling them Puck were racist as gently caress too so who knows.

Speaking of Pucks, I’m really curious about Mr. Agrareus(?) background. What does he do? There was that scene where he said that people will line the streets with electricity in the future (and also electricity seems like it’s not a thing) and I remember he deflected a follow up question like he said too much. Is it possible he’s a time traveler? I hope that’s not an idiotic take.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Resting Lich Face posted:

Working on HBO's Rome series because the Roman History megathread in A/T said it's good. It's good.

Rome is so good, its sad that it only got 2 seasons, and the 2nd one got time-warped to make it more of a conclusion. If they had given it Game of Thrones confidence it might still be on. That said splitting the cost with the BBC is probably what doomed it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I honestly don't see where the $120 million went with the first season of Rome. I think there was a huge mismanagement of the budget and that's probably why the show was cancelled. Also HBO was probably looking for Sopranos viewing numbers and got nowhere near that. The first season of Game of Thrones was 60 million and it looks just as good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I honestly don't see where the million went with the first season of Rome. I think there was a huge mismanagement of the budget and that's probably why the show was cancelled. Also HBO was probably looking for Sopranos viewing numbers and got nowhere near that. The first season of Game of Thrones was 60 million and it looks just as good.

Probably a poo poo load of it went right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcyllqvFCo

'Between March 2004 and May 2005 Rome was filmed in co-production with Rai Fiction in the Italian countryside on Cinecittà studios' six sound stages in Rome. A collection of massive sets in Cinecittà studios' back lots comprised an elaborate "period reconstruction" of sections of ancient Rome.[8] It was a huge undertaking, with an international crew of 350, and more than 50 local Italian interns.

The production is regarded as one of the most expensive in the history of television. Funding was generously employed to recreate an impressively detailed set featuring a number of Roman Villas, the Forum, and a vast slum area of the ancient city of Rome. A significant part of this set was later destroyed by a fire that burned down a portion of the Cinecittà Studios in 2007.'

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 4, 2019

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

I honestly don't see where the $120 million went with the first season of Rome. I think there was a huge mismanagement of the budget and that's probably why the show was cancelled. Also HBO was probably looking for Sopranos viewing numbers and got nowhere near that. The first season of Game of Thrones was 60 million and it looks just as good.

I am just glad Rome got an ending unlike Carnivale.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Finished Carnival Row so spoilers.

I liked the show in general but I hated the ending.

Part of it is because I feel like it just came out of nowhere. Like, we spent the whole season learning that Jonas wanted nothing to do with politics and also that he’s not a racist piece of poo poo cause he’s fine with loving the fairies. He also knows who kidnapped him and that the blackmail letter was forged by his sister-girlfriend. But then in the course of 10 minutes in the last episode he turns into Hitler 2.0 and orders the gestapo to rounding up the non-humans into ghettos. It just kinda feels like they cut out an episode, one that showed his struggles or whatever.

The other reason I hated the ending was just because of current events. So skip over this if politics triggers you but I just feel like its completely irresponsible in these days to leave off with an ending like that. Every normal person that watches the show is going to understand that the point of it was that they are the bad guys doing bad things and nobody should look up to them. But we are in an time where a video game about shooting nazis is controversial because right wing shitfucks are offended. I’m just worried that those same shitfucks are going to watch the last scene and take the complete opposite meaning.

Anyway, Puck, Fae, Pix, Critch. I understood that Critch was just a catch all slur for non-human. The fairy people are I think officially called Fae and Pix was more of a nickname than a slur right? What about the guys with the horns? I think they were only ever called Pucks so maybe that’s their name, but the people calling them Puck were racist as gently caress too so who knows.

Speaking of Pucks, I’m really curious about Mr. Agrareus(?) background. What does he do? There was that scene where he said that people will line the streets with electricity in the future (and also electricity seems like it’s not a thing) and I remember he deflected a follow up question like he said too much. Is it possible he’s a time traveler? I hope that’s not an idiotic take.

Agreus hunted down escaped Fae that broke their indentured servant contracts to make his money. The electricity thing is showing that he's forward thinking. Pix is short for pixie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think you're putting way more thought into it than the writers did. It's just lazy writing like the rest of the show: as viewers, we're just supposed to immediately understand that he's right, but they couldn't be bothered to try to write an actual explanation for him to give that would make sense within the story. They probably haven't even bothered figuring out an actual backstory for him either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Agreus hunted down escaped Fae that broke their indentured servant contracts to make his money. The electricity thing is showing that he's forward thinking. Pix is short for pixie.

It's racist, the are Fauns. Puck or regional variations are about as old of a word for the hooved horned folk as it gets.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

It's racist, the are Fauns. Puck or regional variations are about as old of a word for the hooved horned folk as it gets.
Puck is actually a specific mythological character, but since it's supposed to be a racial slur it sort of makes sense I guess.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mystes posted:

Puck is actually a specific mythological character, but since it's supposed to be a racial slur it sort of makes sense I guess.

I'm pretty sure i just said that

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you say so.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Puck or regional variations are about as old of a word for the hooved horned folk as it gets.

I did say so. Literally.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think it's a particularly well-written show, but most of those points are covered in the text. They don't really go into what it is Agreus does on a day to day basis, but chances are he's so fuckin' rich that he just pays people to tend to his business while he does meetings and other victorian socialite bullshit and such.

Jonah's turn at the end is a bit abrupt but not out of character, as he doesn't really seem to give a poo poo about anyone other than himself.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked it when the one dude was super excited to meet Agreus and was floored when the extravagantly rich man turned out to be a fantasy Republican.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I think Jonah can have sex with pixies prostitutes and still be a racist, like that’s not any kind of redeeming quality lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You tryin to say something about Tommy Jeffs motherfucker?! :argh:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I need a minute. Woah

Just binged the first two seasons and drat I agree. Starts of slow in the first season but the episodes all end with cliff hangers so it's very easy to go on even with the slowing pacing. But it definitely picks up as the show goes on.

More people need to watch this show. It's like Stranger Things/Twin Peaks/Time Crimes had a baby and its amazing but it being German + slow pace will put some people off.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Is Dark subtitled? Or dubbed or something? Most of my tv time lately is in the gym and I can’t watch foreign language stuff if I’m not giving it my full attention.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

beanieson posted:

Is Dark subtitled? Or dubbed or something? Most of my tv time lately is in the gym and I can’t watch foreign language stuff if I’m not giving it my full attention.

Both are available I think.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
About halfway through the first season of The Leftovers. It's decent but not totally holding my attention. It seems unfocused. I'm gonna stick with it through at least the end of this season though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 is when it gets good. If you're feeling like giving up just skip to season 2. It's a new setting and many new characters and they get rid of the annoying ones. They even change the intro and it's much better than the "look at me I'm prestige tv with THEMES and ART" wankfest intro in season 1.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 6, 2019

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yeah Leftovers is the rare series that just gets progressively better with each season. I’d stick it out, it’s slow but there’s great stuff throughout.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm several episodes into a French series, English title is Black Spot, on Netflix. It's about a small French town in the middle of nowhere that has an unusually high murder rate so the powers that be send a special prosecutor to figure out what is going on and close some cases, and maybe he has other business yet to be revealed. The main character is a young woman, one of the local deputies, with an enigmatic past and who may or may not be turning a blind eye on local shenanigans (but probably not). Listed under horror but it's 98% crime drama, 1% hints of something supernatural lurking in the woods, 1% hints that the mayor is a crime boss. It vaguely reminds me of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp combined with The Wicker Man. So far I like it and my wife seems to enjoy it and she hates everything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mu Zeta posted:

HBO has gone on the record many times saying they learned a lot of hard lessons (made big mistakes) with producing Rome, and never could have pulled off Game of Thrones if they didn't learn from Rome first.

So yeah, they wasted a ton of money.

Resting Lich Face posted:

True Roman Bread for True Romans.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

They even change the intro and it's much better than the "look at me I'm prestige tv with THEMES and ART" wankfest intro in season 1.

Just got to S2E1 and oh hey, I love Iris Dement and this song is perfect for this show!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wormil posted:

I'm several episodes into a French series, English title is Black Spot, on Netflix. It's about a small French town in the middle of nowhere that has an unusually high murder rate so the powers that be send a special prosecutor to figure out what is going on and close some cases, and maybe he has other business yet to be revealed. The main character is a young woman, one of the local deputies, with an enigmatic past and who may or may not be turning a blind eye on local shenanigans (but probably not). Listed under horror but it's 98% crime drama, 1% hints of something supernatural lurking in the woods, 1% hints that the mayor is a crime boss. It vaguely reminds me of Sleepy Hollow with Johnny Depp combined with The Wicker Man. So far I like it and my wife seems to enjoy it and she hates everything.

Someone else recommended it in the Dark thread. They said it starts really strong but drops off. I might watch it as I love murder mysteries.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ulio posted:

Someone else recommended it in the Dark thread. They said it starts really strong but drops off. I might watch it as I love murder mysteries.

I've watched most of S1 and it's solid so far. It's a mystery (usually murder) of the week show but there are several longer arcs percolating in the background. There are no super sleuths, no British style red herring mysteries, and characters behave according to their personalities and not for plot convenience. There is a supernatural element that sometimes serves as deux ex machina but it's woven into the greater storyline so I don't mind it. I feel like at this point even if it falls off in S2 it will be better than most shows.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm enjoying the hell out of Raising Dion

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Just got caught up on the last couple of seasons of Letterkenny still good and I'm still laughing, but some of the charm has worn off and it, like most sitcoms that go past 3 or so seasons, more of a character and catchphrase thing now, which is a problem when most of the characters are pretty thin at best. So yeah, still good and I'll keep watching, but not handling the transition to "long-running sitcom" as well as something like Sunny IMO.

e: I put a pin in Patriot after one episode. It seems really good and I will get back to it, but felt a little to bleak and nihilistic for me to handle right now, so I'll return when my head is in a better space for it!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I haven't seen more than one episode of Letterkenny but I feel probably the best parts are on YouTube and after watching them my enthusiasm to actually watch the series, cooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I'll agree that Letterkenny is a skit show with only the most perfunctory of plots and no character development whatsoever, but as a non native English speaker, even with it having run out of steam after the 4th season, that poo poo is still glorious to me. Honestly, just watching any of it makes me go I did not know you could do that with words!

Along those lines, I watched the first season of Mr Inbetween, and though enjoyable it struck me as no more than a vehicle for some cool dialogue and a shot of the main guy calmly grinning.

In other news, I have progressed into season 2 on my Bab5 binge. "Babcom" will never not make me giggle, and the writing is still very uneven but drat, I'm hooked and having fun watching it.