Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a goofy, and general history question, but I was lying in bed last night super comfortable on my memory foam mattress and long staple cotton sheets and I was wondering at what point in history would a king or emperor, the most priviledged and wealthy members of society, first have a bed that compares to my bed in terms of comfort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

JcDent posted:

Going by wiki, the Island underwend a series of "snake eating Gorilla" treatments that ended up with hunter-killer teams mercilessly chasing down the few rabbits not killed by (poisoned?) bait and biowarfare:

this is what happens when you just try to wing it in ecology

often people trying to restore islands have to do invasive species control in secret, because if PETA gets word they can swing huge pressure campaigns against the government agencies responsible for goat or rabbit removal. In at least one case they have directly caused extinction by successfully delaying remediation until it was too late for the local fauna.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

feedmegin posted:

Why do they need their own camo? It's not like it's more expensive to make. If it's objectively better camo, why doesn't everyone get it?

It's the Navy's land camo, so it's been de facto only for SEALs. The Marines hold the rights to MARPAT jealously partially because it gave a distinctive look for recruiting.

Also, more practically, MARPAT is a bit older, and the coyote brown and black that it uses stand out like crazy under IR, so enemies with night vision get to see someone who's dayglo with extra-dark spots. So the when the navy got to make a woodland camo, they took advantage of that knowledge and made one with a different color palette. (UCP was an early effort at that sort of thing, but the method of taking the best universal pattern and then throwing out all the colors from the test suite that were too bright under IR... only left greys. Later efforts use khakis and do a lot better)

BalloonFish posted:

There are a lot of very good reasons why you're considered an ace pilot with 'only' five kills. There are plenty of perfectly competent and courageous fighter pilots who flew in active duty for years and only downed one or two enemy aircraft. It was a game that had a massively high skill barrier just to enter, and then you needed both skill and luck to be successful at it. And, as has already been said, you needed to be lucky enough to survive long enough to get the experience to be really competent at the business of combat flying.

You also need the enemy to be obliging enough to show up. Jimmy Thach, one of the best of the very well trained and practiced prewar cadre of USN fighter pilots (Not joking there, they flew a lot of missions and were just about the only WWII air force that was actually trained marksmanship in deflection shooting, which you can kind of tell from histories of their early fights. They make a lot of marginal shots stick against enemies that have an energy and maneuverability advantage on them) scored only five kills. Why is that? We know for a fact he's a good pilot and aerial tactician. It's simple. He only saw enemies on five sorties.

Also, prewar cadres absolutely flew faux dogfights.

I might try to summarize some of the stuff from The First Team next week when I'm not busy.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's important to note in Thach's case that pretty much as soon as he became an ace he was whisked off to become an instructor, which is why he only saw 5 sorties. Some Luftwaffe/Japanese pilots accumulated so many kills because they were repeatedly sent out into combat until they died (also some pretty, ahem, loose confirming of kills)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

xthetenth posted:

It's the Navy's land camo, so it's been de facto only for SEALs. The Marines hold the rights to MARPAT jealously partially because it gave a distinctive look for recruiting.

The fact that they can do this seems so silly. It's not the biggest deal in the world but surely someone could say "gently caress you guys hand it over" if it was?

Actually is there any particular story about how the US Marines became a full fourth branch in almost all respects (sorry coast guard) instead of being more subservient to the Navy? It seems like by World War 2 they're already doing they're own thing.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The fact that they can do this seems so silly. It's not the biggest deal in the world but surely someone could say "gently caress you guys hand it over" if it was?

Actually is there any particular story about how the US Marines became a full fourth branch in almost all respects (sorry coast guard) instead of being more subservient to the Navy? It seems like by World War 2 they're already doing they're own thing.

The SecDef has determined the Marines can't copyright something owned by the DoD, but are letting them keep the pattern as a distinctive uniform.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The fifth Commandant of the Marine Corps started aggressively using Marines as a quick-response expeditionary force in the 1820s, because budget cuts after the War of 1812 were sapping funds away and he wanted to ensure the Marines had a mission.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Marines always did the expeditionary thing even as early as the Barbary Coast shenanigans, and they've always had just enough distinctiveness to stay separate. Plus they have a knack for doing relevant stuff at the right time to avoid drawdowns.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Ace Combat training:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I miss that webcomic.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Neophyte posted:

Ace Combat training:

You have to treat your airplane like your best girl, get inside her and take to heaven 3 times a day.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

(sidenote: flying a target aircraft was probably pretty high on the list of lovely wartime jobs)

That's why they had women do it.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

SimonCat posted:

You have to treat your airplane like your best girl, get inside her and take to heaven 3 times a day.

Woof!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

This is a goofy, and general history question, but I was lying in bed last night super comfortable on my memory foam mattress and long staple cotton sheets and I was wondering at what point in history would a king or emperor, the most priviledged and wealthy members of society, first have a bed that compares to my bed in terms of comfort?

Let's see what Wikipedia says:

Early beds were little more than piles of straw or some other natural material (e.g. a heap of palm leaves, animal skins, or dried bracken). An important change was raising them off the ground, to avoid drafts, dirt, and pests. 23-5 million years ago, before the advent of humans, apes began creating beds composed of a sleeping platform including a wooden pillow

Genetic analysis suggests that the human body louse, which lives in clothing, may only have diverged from the head louse some 170,000 years ago, which supports evidence that humans began wearing clothing at around this time. These estimates predate the first known human exodus from Africa, although other hominid species who may have worn clothes – and shared these louse infestations – appear to have migrated earlier.

Sewing needles have been dated to at least 50,000 years ago (Denisova Cave, Siberia) – and uniquely associated with a human species other than modern humans, i.e. H. Denisova/H. Altai. The oldest possible example is 60,000 years ago, a needlepoint (missing stem and eye) found in Sibudu Cave, South Africa. Other early examples of needles dating from 41,000-15,000 years ago are found in multiple locations, e.g. Slovenia, Russia, China, Spain, and France.

So the technology for making comfortable beds existed about 50k years ago.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

this is what happens when you just try to wing it in ecology
i will hear nothing against my plan to repopulate greenland, iceland, the maritimes, and northeast canada with walruses, good sir

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

i will hear nothing against my plan to repopulate greenland, iceland, the maritimes, and northeast canada with walruses, good sir

Sable Island will once again be walrus-y

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The MARPAT is getting really popular... uh, internationally, too. I wonder if it might start to lose some of its alleged recruiting power in the US.

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1180043501540655104

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dude looks like a customized COD character from 2010.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dude looks like a customized COD character from 2010.

The guy has more likely than not, played CoD multiplayer and bases his aesthetic off of it

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The guy has more likely than not, played CoD multiplayer and bases his aesthetic off of it

Postmodern warfare: Soldiers imitating hot video games and then recording and posting their battles to social media.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ponzicar posted:

Postmodern warfare: Soldiers imitating hot video games and then recording and posting their battles to social media.

I dunno about the former, but there's already plenty of battle footage on social media from Syria and Ukraine. Given the relative age ranges, it's probably pretty likely some subset of the recorders have played CoD and the like, so...

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

I dunno about the former, but there's already plenty of battle footage on social media from Syria and Ukraine. Given the relative age ranges, it's probably pretty likely some subset of the recorders have played CoD and the like, so...

It's absolutely already happening, even if the video game influence isn't as conscious or overt.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I wonder how many guys have said 'F' when their comrades have come back as casualties

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The various propaganda videos from the Syrian civil war show that their propaganda departments have absolutely have played CoD and other modern FPSs. There are regular digitally edited flourishes that clearly ape western military media.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As has been said, they really couldn't enforce it if it came down to it. But in practice each branch of the service seems to like having their own distinctive uniforms, so there's no real chance of the army saying "let us use your pattern or else."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
an article is out, PM me for links. (Unfortunately it isn't free.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/1180168490864562176

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

zoux posted:

Comfort is quite objective. Rich people in the 16th and 17th century (and probably much earlier) slept in very complicated beds with many layers of different materials, which cost far more in relative terms than your bed did, even before you get to the ornate wooden bedstead and rich canopies. Also, a huge amount of labour went into dismantling and airing the bed every morning (because mattresses stuffed with organic materials get gross if they are allowed to be even slightly damp) and cleaning the linens by hand.

But were they more comfortable? Hard to say.

I also have a vague memory that everyone slept sitting upright, but I don't remember the source for that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Rope weaved beds and hammocks were probably used by a lot of people.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

It's a Black Adder joke.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SimonCat posted:

It's a Black Adder joke.
so's what Anshu said

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the planes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
i love you all but less jargon please

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mr Enderby posted:

I also have a vague memory that everyone slept sitting upright, but I don't remember the source for that.

Well definitely not everyone, they slept lying down in East Asia.

Although often while resting their head on a pillow that looked along these lines:

Which have always seemed like they must be extremely uncomfortable to me, although I suppose I've never tried it out myself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koramei posted:

Well definitely not everyone, they slept lying down in East Asia.

Although often while resting their head on a pillow that looked along these lines:

Which have always seemed like they must be extremely uncomfortable to me, although I suppose I've never tried it out myself.

That poo poo makes me feel that everyone wasn't so much drunk as sleep-deprived

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Would you like... put something softer on top of it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Don Gato posted:

It's meant to blend into the ship itself to make it harder on people to identify individuals, blending into the ocean is a feature unfortunate side effect.

Why? "We've spotted the enemy cruiser, but we aren't going to consider it a threat until we count how many people there are on the deck"? Or is it for the abundant cases of boarding followed by melee combat?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Why? "We've spotted the enemy cruiser, but we aren't going to consider it a threat until we count how many people there are on the deck"? Or is it for the abundant cases of boarding followed by melee combat?

Snipers from shore while they're docked, making it harder for non-IR EO cameras to detect individuals on a ship from drones and ISR platforms, things like that. The actual fight is a minor consideration, it's all about before the guns are fired.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

iirc dazzle camo worked quite well at confounding the enemy

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Dazzle does work, but its purpose is not to obscure that there is a ship there, its to obscure how long that ship is and what way it is pointing in order to confuse optical rangefinders.

E: Curse your edit :arghfist: