Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

a device called IBM Citizen Watchpad is very page 666

e: gently caress, I knew it was going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
current linux + microsoft status: my system suddenly decided to start thrashing all over the hard disk and become unresponsive when I launch visual studio code

im not sure whether the blames lies on Linux, Microsoft, electron, or on me for mixing all these great tastes together

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

out of curiosity is vscode running on the Linux side out the Windows side

fwiw I’ve been running vscode on plain standalone Linux and it’s refrained from thrashing the disk afaik

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

out of curiosity is vscode running on the Linux side out the Windows side

fwiw I’ve been running vscode on plain standalone Linux and it’s refrained from thrashing the disk afaik

it's running in linux which is not virtualized (dual booting)
and I have been using it for a while and it never did that either, until today where it decided to honor the visual studio brand tradition of randomly making GBS threads the bed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Private Speech posted:

a device called IBM Citizen Watchpad is very page 666

e: gently caress, I knew it was going to happen

frankly you should be banned for this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I want to find a MacGuffin to integrate systemd with electron, glued together by python 2.7, and tie essential services to this infra. XML for config.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Mawarannahr Bucket posted:

I want to find a MacGuffin to integrate systemd with electron, glued together by python 2.7, and tie essential services to this infra. XML for config.

pulseaudio gui

oh there’s a knock at the doo-

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phobeste posted:

pulseaudio gui

oh there’s a knock at the doo-

silenced by lack of linux audio support

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mawarannahr Bucket posted:

easy, vscode as the default systemd editor/pager

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd is not bloat at all, why you mention it in the same breath as electron baffles me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
GNU/electron

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

systemd is not bloat at all, why you mention it in the same breath as electron baffles me

i don't use linux and that's literally the only thing i hear about systemd. that it's bloated

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it's better after you learn to stop worrying and love systemd (or at least love that every vendor/distribution isn't trying to roll their own init system/service management stuff anymore)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
systemd is pretty good imo. theyve incorporated a lot of great security features into the unit files over the past couple years

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

PrivateTmp=yes
ProtectHome=yes
ProtectSystem=full

stuff like that oob is nice af!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

akadajet posted:

i don't use linux and that's literally the only thing i hear about systemd. that it's bloated

sounds like you need to stop talking to morons that think a shell script launching 1000 subprocesses to check if a program is running is less bloated than systemd

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Docker solves a lot of the use cases of systemd tho

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

abigserve posted:

Docker solves a lot of the use cases of systemd tho

use cases like network dropping out until you manually restart dockerd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i like docker for dev tooling (e.g. its the best way to do cross-builds with rust) but imo stay away from dockerd for anything that you want to run longer than you entering a command into a shell

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive heard you can run systemd processes in cgroup containers but haven't tried it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Progressive JPEG posted:

use cases like network dropping out until you manually restart dockerd

I'd bank money this is due to some nix networking bullshit more than docker tbh

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
someone please tell me why mint is the worst thing and I shouldn't be using it because I assume there's a reason

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I accidentally installed workstation CentOS 8 instead of server and there is an option for desktop icons

kinda makes me want to switch from fedora to centos for just this reason

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
so it's woot but on a truck? Lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

someone please tell me why mint is the worst thing and I shouldn't be using it because I assume there's a reason

it's based on ubuntu so https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617481&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post435197939 probably applies

their website got hacked a while back and the installer got infected with malware
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3001
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

generally, if you like the desktop environment in a smaller linux distribution there's no reason why you can't just install fedora and pick that desktop environment during the installation process and also reap the benefits of a corporation running the show instead of some dipshits.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Suspicious Dish posted:

so it's woot but on a truck? Lmao

uber, but for woot

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I somehow posted to the wrong thread lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hifi posted:

it's based on ubuntu so https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617481&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post435197939 probably applies

their website got hacked a while back and the installer got infected with malware
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3001
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2994

generally, if you like the desktop environment in a smaller linux distribution there's no reason why you can't just install fedora and pick that desktop environment during the installation process and also reap the benefits of a corporation running the show instead of some dipshits.

can you update from version to version or do they still force you to do a clean install to upgrade?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

carry on then posted:

can you update from version to version or do they still force you to do a clean install to upgrade?

yeah you update versions with 'dnf dist-upgrade' now, it's been around for a couple of years.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I somehow posted to the wrong thread lol

something something not a truck something series of tubes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Progressive JPEG posted:

something something not a truck something series of tubes

this isn’t the tesla thread either

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

abigserve posted:

I'd bank money this is due to some nix networking bullshit more than docker tbh

in a prior job dockerd would just periodically poo poo itself in production environments and anything running on that system would lose network until someone finally came by and gave it a kick

dockerd is so unreliable that k8s basically muscled a reduced featureset fork of it via the moby/containerd split

to be clear, dockerd is totally fine and useful for running on your local system for dev tooling and/or building images but don't leave it running unattended

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

it's a derivative of a derivative of debian so god knows who's hosed with the packages you end up using

it does still require flatten and reinstall to upgrade probably because they cba to even get that right

use fedora ffs every linux company other than red hat and maybe suse is a goddamn clown show. do you have a good reason not to use red hat?

devs name releases after girls who they've stalked/whose hair they've smelled (ok lol not really but seriously the girlname release naming convention is kind of creepy)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

it's a derivative of a derivative of debian so god knows who's hosed with the packages you end up using

it does still require flatten and reinstall to upgrade probably because they cba to even get that right

use fedora ffs every linux company other than red hat and maybe suse is a goddamn clown show. do you have a good reason not to use red hat?

devs name releases after girls who they've stalked/whose hair they've smelled (ok lol not really but seriously the girlname release naming convention is kind of creepy)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint_version_history

wow, you were not kidding

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Goes to show you can still learn something new (and sad) every day. Only a 13 year history of it, too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sapozhnik posted:

Wowza

I'm too lazy to change my netbook that's running mint but when I replace it in the winter I'll do fedora instead

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
ibm aquired red hat so fedora is doomed

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Debian still best

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
maybe they’ll bring SMIT to Linux atop systemd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

devs name releases after girls who they've stalked/whose hair they've smelled

lol which of you just edited wikipedia to add that claim