Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Neat! Some more context from his Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1179816902547447815

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1179823999817265152

Most importantly

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1179819429087059973

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFa2_Oi-Cw

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Didn't abaddon say something soon was going to make everyone real mad at him?

I'm... I'm worried for Violence Baby :ohdear:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1179829178465738752
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1179838772667658240

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Turns out he was talking about going to a wedding.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Reach Heaven Through Violence, Baby

i think i missed that Space Dandy episode

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just gonna make Anime Billy the Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVRRTgiQwo

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The page corresponding with Hrotomos's death will be a four panels spread and everyone will be looking for loss.jpg.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm just gonna make Anime Billy the Kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVRRTgiQwo
For shame that you didn't link this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG0fKgAb3o

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you may think he is running at Alison, but actually he is running away from AOC.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

YaketySass posted:

The page corresponding with Hrotomos's death will be a four panels spread and everyone will be looking for loss.jpg.

he will try to kool aid through a wall but fail

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

YaketySass posted:

If Hrotomos' death is a loss.jpg, I'd get on patreon and sub to KSBD.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Oh no it's more PBTA stuff. Oh well, can't win it all, I suppose.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pbta is good

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's always too vague and obsessed with letting the players take the reins, which is annoying and leads to poo poo that's a tonal mess.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, its p great and i love it

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh no it's more PBTA stuff. Oh well, can't win it all, I suppose.

Just looked it over and eh it's way more Blades In The Dark than PbtA. Blades is derived from Apocalypse World, sure, but you really got to squint to see the AW stuff in this.

Really looking forward to the lore chapters to see how much of a 'weird west' vibe Abaddon is going for. Offhand the only thing that strikes me as potentially supernatural is that you don't die unless you get shot. Getting thrown off a cliff, abandoned in the desert or buried alive will certainly suck but they won't kill you. Depending on how you turn the dial that could either be 'just how this kind of fiction is told' or full on 'nope you're a revenent now go get em'

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the gun is good. the penis is evil.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Shadows in the Dark style is good stuff, so long as you have a GM who can try to guide the players away from their most weird cul-de-sacs by imposing some reality on the effect rolls. I'm in a real good Copperhead County* campaign right now where things are sane on the surface level even if it's clearly magical realism on another level.

* Copperhead County is a brilliant version of the BitD system, set in modern Tennessee and taking inspiration from crime dramas like The Wire & Justified. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone looking for a system to try out. My Hazard character, Billy-John Bobby-Jim, is all about making extremely good drugs and talking to very cute boys about high quality scotch from his perch at his biker gang's gay bar, the Manhole. The gang's made enemies of the local GOP, though, which is a bit of a problem.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phy posted:

I would feel remiss if I didn't mention LIZARD IN A SHAKO

He's too refined.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
PbtA?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Powered by the Apocalypse

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Check out Dungeon World if you want to see how PbtA works, with a D&D flavor: https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/

It basically feels like an RPG session with all the dice rolls and such, but with a heavy flavor of improv and shared storytelling. If you really want tactical combat and min-maxing, it's not gonna be for you, but if you want the mechanics to get out of the way of telling a fun story, you may like it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Check out Dungeon World if you want to see how PbtA works, with a D&D flavor: https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/

It basically feels like an RPG session with all the dice rolls and such, but with a heavy flavor of improv and shared storytelling. If you really want tactical combat and min-maxing, it's not gonna be for you, but if you want the mechanics to get out of the way of telling a fun story, you may like it.

Agreed on the tactical combat; but the mechanics are actually good in and of themselves. I like teaching AW to traditional powergamers because the mechanics drive them towards interesting stories.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

When I saw his announcement I thought that GUN would be like some random little minigame he put together for laughs, but nope, there's an 120 page sourcebook and a slew of custom sheets. Did he spend that wedding just scrawling across napkins like a madman?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

To be fair it's a PBTA adaptation and those aren't that hard (comparatively) to churn out since you've got a solid backbone to build off of. A lot of new writing that's super rad though which is pretty great. I've kind of wanted an excuse to play the KSBD rpg but I really don't think I could find a group of like minded people in my friend group.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

Agreed on the tactical combat; but the mechanics are actually good in and of themselves. I like teaching AW to traditional powergamers because the mechanics drive them towards interesting stories.

Oh I didn't say the mechanics were bad, I said that they get out of the way of storytelling. Maybe it's more accurate to say the mechanics facilitate storytelling...?

Regardless, I love PbtA games and they're reignited my love of PnP RPGs that's been dormant for years. It's so much easier to run a game and much easier to introduce new players. Which is great when you're in your 30s with no free time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Glagha posted:

To be fair it's a PBTA adaptation and those aren't that hard (comparatively) to churn out since you've got a solid backbone to build off of. A lot of new writing that's super rad though which is pretty great. I've kind of wanted an excuse to play the KSBD rpg but I really don't think I could find a group of like minded people in my friend group.

I didn't actually know anything about PBTA; I'm amazed that it already had the clock mechanism without having a western-themed incarnation because a countdown to high noon is so on the nose for the genere. I guess it's originally more like a 'minutes to midnight' doomsday analogue?

Edit: That just moves this from 'insane' to 'highly impressive' because I struggle to find time to even read new RPG books.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
It's not pbta, it doesn't have moves or the pbta dice system at all. It has its own dice system, game loop, and mechanics that are more a squished down Blades in the Dark than anything.

I had a lot of fun writing it and you should check it out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Operant posted:

It's not pbta, it doesn't have moves or the pbta dice system at all. It has its own dice system, game loop, and mechanics that are more a squished down Blades in the Dark than anything.

I am woefully ignorant regarding the variety of RP systems, I basically went DnD > Pathfinder > Black hole of Parenting, with a bit of dabbling with some Shadowrun and Dark Heresy in short-lived groups. I'm making time to read through this, it already has cool stuff I hadn't seen before that I really like (like the clock, which is really good for a Western-style game).

I'm amazed that you manage to crank through this as well as Lancer and the comic and everything else, and then to share it freely is awesome. Would you do a full book with artwork and a starter module at some point? Because I'd love to see your cowboy art.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Operant posted:

Awesome, I will. It's so hard to get the time to do that these days, I'm still trying to get my friends together to run a DW campaign (with the intention of trying to convince them to get as excited about KSBD as I am to play a BW campaign). I haven't had a chance to dive into Lancer either :(

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Apocalypse World was fun and I played and ran a fair bit of it when it came out, and it dramatically shifted how I look at running games and picking out stories within them, but I'm definitely at the point where I'm sick of every game in the dang world being a PbtA game

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

One last thing and then I'm gonna shut up about AW.

One of the big things AW did was on the GM side, and that's easy to miss if you are only a player: It formalizes and streamlines a lot of good GMing practice into a coherent package. Honestly if you are at all interested in GMing I'd recommend running a PbtA game at least once to put the questions it asks into your head.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Makes me kind of want to play as Bass Reeves in a game of Gun.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Tollymain posted:

the gun is good. the penis is evil.
Cutting with the only sword you have.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Hey Operant, would you want royalties if someone put one of your in-comic songs to music and put it on an album?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm only just now noticing the very background of the stadium roof and it looks like they've been all transported into a synthwave album cover

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Mile'ionaha posted:

Hey Operant, would you want royalties if someone put one of your in-comic songs to music and put it on an album?

Nope, just link me so I can promote the hell out of it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Preview is up on Patreon, so page likely up tomorrow. Gettin spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mile'ionaha posted:

Ooh, which one?