Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
How did that work with things like college papers? Did students in the 60s and 70s learn how to type, or did they just handwrite everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My mom took keyboarding in high school and made money in college (70s) typing up papers for people. She noted that keyboarding for a computer wasn't quite the same, since you could edit much easier, and the keys didn't require the same force.

She had a fancy typewriter, I think it was a wedding gift. It had spell check built in, it would beep if you typed a word it didn't recognize. It also had a memory to auto-type a page. She had saved my dad's resume, so you could make multiple copies on-demand. And it was all entirely obsolete by the time I would have had any use for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Memory-stored typing was cool because you hit a button and the typewriter would run off like it was possessed :devil:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

rndmnmbr posted:

Keys were an old way of locking your workstation (and now you know the source of the term) by disconnecting the keyboard. Which is all the key did, IIRC.

Back in college, one of my roommates tried something sneaky to keep the rest of us off his computer: he switched the wires from the key-lock and the turbo button to each other's connections on the motherboard. To unlock the keyboard, you had to disengage the turbo button. It actually worked for a couple of days until someone caught him in a moment of carelessness, "unlocking" it as he sat down.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Konstantin posted:

How did that work with things like college papers? Did students in the 60s and 70s learn how to type, or did they just handwrite everything?

From working at the library at my Alma Mater, I've understood that until the 1940s or so, you would write a thesis manuscript by hand, then submit it to a copy typist, who would hammer out your scribbles in legible type. Then you'd glue in any figures you needed.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

From working at the library at my Alma Mater, I've understood that until the 1940s or so, you would write a thesis manuscript by hand, then submit it to a copy typist, who would hammer out your scribbles in legible type. Then you'd glue in any figures you needed.

I've been told that for some subjects like chemistry or math they had special typewriters just could make up math equations or even chemical structures haven't really looked into though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I remember reading an old engineering thesis where the author included thanks to his girlfriend for writing in the math in a readable way after he typed the text.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My mom had an electric typewriter in the closet in the 90s, but I never used it.

At our other office this woman who had been with the company since 1989 was still using hers because she would cry if they tried to switch her to a computer and everyone would feel bad and give it back; she hated any technology more recent than that and only begrudgingly got forced to use a cell phone. She was still doing job order forms and timesheets by putting templates into her typewriter until a quadruple bypass forced her to retire in like 2016.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That reminds me of “Two-, Three-, and Four-Atom Exchange Effects in bcc ³He”.

Jack H. Hetherington wrote the paper in 1975. He was its sole author, but he used the royal “we” throughout.

He wished to submit it to a journal, but their style manual forbid using “we” when only one person had contributed.

This is 1975, so Hetherington can’t just run a find & replace on the paper.

So what does he do? He adds his cat as a co‐author, under the name “F. D. C. Willard”. The cat (Felis domesticus) was named “Chester” and his father was Willard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I remember when I got a certificate for something in elementary school and some lady typed into an electric typewriter and then printed it onto a certificate. It was the coolest poo poo I had seen up to that point.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Also, when I was in school I learned how to use those in my technical drawing course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lettering_guide
You traced one letter/number after another with your ink-pen. It was surprisingly fast with even a bit of practice.

That intermediate time where most normal text came through computers and printer, but anything unusual was made by hand and then optically copied was quite strange.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve known people to keep typewriters around just to put addresses on envelopes.

They didn’t want to gently caress around with a printer for the volume they were doing but they wanted it to look professional.

I can’t say I blame them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Also, when I was in school I learned how to use those in my technical drawing course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lettering_guide
You traced one letter/number after another with your ink-pen. It was surprisingly fast with even a bit of practice.

That intermediate time where most normal text came through computers and printer, but anything unusual was made by hand and then optically copied was quite strange.

What are the red lines for?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I read The Caine Mutiny a couple years back, and one of the naval officers' jobs was to manually cut and paste updates to their manuals and code books, which they picked up when they came to shore.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Spacing guides, makes it easier to line all the letters up.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

To make it easier to find the correct distance between two letters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Neato

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Stencils used to be very popular.
I used one of those through college, it probably still is in some moving box in storage.

Back in those days there were supply stores near colleges and tradeschools with large racks of useful stencils, right next to the crayons for the younger kids.
Starting from the common stuff, like circles or metric screwheads.
Ending with more exotic stuff like NATO symbols or hydraulic logic circuits.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

VictualSquid posted:

I used one of those through college, it probably still is in some moving box in storage.

Back in those days there were supply stores near colleges and tradeschools with large racks of useful stencils, right next to the crayons for the younger kids.

This is giving me factorio nightmares.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VictualSquid posted:

My high school geometry class in the 90s required a particular big fancy translucent green stencil called a GEOMETER that was available in the school store. Absolutely everyone had one sooner or later, unless you were on a seriously remedial math track. Damned if I can remember what it actually had, though, and google seems to have never heard of it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

My mother worked in public schoolswhen I was a child and so had access to a teacher's supply shop. They had everything: transparency templates, Mobil playsets, crayons and markers in any size and color, oversize teaching props (huge plastic hearts and poo poo), all you need to facilitate any lesson plan. How did I spent my $5 a week allowance? Stencils, stencils, stencils. Didn't even know what half of them were useful for but boy did I have fun channeling my inner Moebius.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

madeintaipei posted:

They had everything: transparency templates, Mobil playsets, crayons and markers in any size and color, oversize teaching props (huge plastic hearts and poo poo), all you need to facilitate any lesson plan.

New York's hottest club.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

packetmantis posted:

New York's hottest club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5laG1E0Q4b8

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

packetmantis posted:

New York's hottest club.

:bravo: thank you for this!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

packetmantis posted:

New York's hottest club.

gently caress that’s a great joke.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

To make it easier to find the correct distance between two letters.

No ruler is going to tell me how to do keming! :argh:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Konstantin posted:

Right up into the late 80s big companies had a typing pool where you would send letters written in longhand and one of the “gals” would type it up.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Buttcoin purse posted:

No ruler is going to tell me how to do keming! :argh:

:hmmyes:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

My mom took keyboarding in high school and made money in college (70s) typing up papers for people. She noted that keyboarding for a computer wasn't quite the same, since you could edit much easier, and the keys didn't require the same force.

She had a fancy typewriter, I think it was a wedding gift. It had spell check built in, it would beep if you typed a word it didn't recognize. It also had a memory to auto-type a page. She had saved my dad's resume, so you could make multiple copies on-demand. And it was all entirely obsolete by the time I would have had any use for it.

We had a Smith-Corona that did the beeping when you misspelled something. It also had this fancy feature that you could type up to a line of text on a tiny screen and look over it for errors before committing it to a page.

I had to actually use the thing for a couple of high school assignments. We had an old Macintosh but the printer was busted. We lived in the sticks, the internet wasn't a place for commerce and printers were expensive, so the Smith-Corona it was.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I like the dedicated full bridge rectifier template. I found a link to a video of someone using one of these to draw a circuit on my phone earlier but now i can't find the link.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Oct 6, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VictualSquid posted:

That literally could be used as a prop in Star Trek and no one would notice.
My mom had a bunch of things like that, but they were all much thinner. I feel like they were made to used to stencil rather than a pen? My dad also still had a slide rule which he tried to show me how to use and I could barely understand the basics of. Thank god for calculators.

I don't know why this discussion reminds me of this, but older goons might remember having desks in school that had a hole in them for inkwells? Like how old were those desks? When the hell were inkwells last needed to be at hand? Like I know schoolls are cheap, but I am pretty sure even in the early part of the 20th century you didn't need to have an open inkwell next to you at all times when writing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know why this discussion reminds me of this, but older goons might remember having desks in school that had a hole in them for inkwells? Like how old were those desks? When the hell were inkwells last needed to be at hand? Like I know schoolls are cheap, but I am pretty sure even in the early part of the 20th century you didn't need to have an open inkwell next to you at all times when writing.

Dip pens hung on in some schools till ballpoints replaced them in the 1960s.

Fountain pens are great to carry around in a pocket but dip pens are almost as good when sitting at a desk and they’re cheaper, with fewer breakable parts.

Fountain pens can have feed issues, but dunking dipping the tip of a pen in ink always works.

That’s true even if you are using a fountain pen: dipping it in ink will bypass any feed issues. Besides which, the fountain pen still needs to be refilled pretty regularly so why not keep the ink well around?

JFK used dip pens, but to be fair that’s partly because it was a good way to mint souvenirs at signing ceremonies.

There’s a comic I wish I could find right now about a vagrant who goes into a bank and someone asks what business he could possibly have in there. He was sucking up the bank’s ink in his fountain pen, which illustrates that even poor folk might own fountain pens while banks still had dip pens and inkwells in the lobby.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

twistedmentat posted:

My primary school had those desks when I finished in the late 90s, and those desks would have been around since the 50s at least. We weren't a poor school, but I guess the administration never felt the need to replace them, and to be fair they were still in decent condition.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The inkwell holder found new life as a convenient place to store pencil shavings.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I read The Caine Mutiny a couple years back, and one of the naval officers' jobs was to manually cut and paste updates to their manuals and code books, which they picked up when they came to shore.
Looseleaf binders are common in libraries, particularly law libraries, even today. They're publications that get updated so frequently that the library simply receives and exchanges only the relevant pages.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looseleaf binders are common in libraries, particularly law libraries, even today. They're publications that get updated so frequently that the library simply receives and exchanges only the relevant pages.

I wrote technical documentation, and that's how it worked in their physical form. Whole pages would be replaced, usually with changes highlighted. Eventually the revision count would get too high, and they would issue a whole new book.

By the time I was around, they were only doing electronic distribution. CDs when I started, DVD not long after, and Download not much longer after that. That first DVD was marked "Book 17" or whatever, even though they had never actually issued a physical book in that series. We did download updates, but we couldn't rely on those too much. Some of the guys were on dial-up connections in third-world countries, and others worked sites where internet connections were not permitted, they could only bring in the officially branded CD/DVDs, and use them on a laptop that remained on-site.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

My son had to learn how to use a dip pen in second grade last year. In the Czech Republic.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The same went in the sixties/seventies for programming courses! You'd hand write your program and then someone would use a typewriter computer machine kind of thing to punch the holes in stacks of punch cards.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan takes a look at a laser thingy without a laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrHxdQ0XvOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

I teach graphics to high school kids in Australia and while a majority of the course is CAD based there's a section that's entirely manual drafting which I kind of like cause it makes the first steps into CAD far easier. I have a stack of stencils floating around mostly to do with ISO bolts and architechtural items. The sets of elipse templates are the most used though because with the time I have to teach manual drafting teaching kids how to drawing an elipse by hand isn't feasable.