Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Drunkboxer posted:

Well he doesn’t rant about it online or try to force himself on her I guess but he does kill himself and her and his dad. It’s perhaps the greatest gently caress YOU DAD moment in cinema.

e: Oh, are we’re talking about the scientist or the monster?

The Monster, and in his defense:

A) The Bride really wanted to die.
B) His dad was a dick.
C) Like you said, that death scene was rad as Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Vampires are only sad and seemingly sexless because no one told them they can kiss boys

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Now Count Orlok otoh, there's your incel.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

no one told them they can kiss boys

This appears to apply to girl vampires too, but they definitely gently caress anyway

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love the vampire stuff in Preacher. They took one of the worst book plots and made it funny and interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL85d1pPYtc

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp posted:

Vampires are only sad and seemingly sexless because no one told them they can kiss boys

I’m a big idiot that watched every single episode of True Blood and those guys were kissing boys all over the place. Also I’m pretty sure Drac bones Jonathan Harker in the novel, it’s just not explicitly stated.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vampires have mouths full of phallic symbols they use to penetrate living flesh. Get outta here with this “incel Dracula” nonsense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sex machine was a vampire.

Case closed

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jason Voorhees on the flip side is actually Asexual and proud of it.

Freddy is a rapist pedophile

Leatherface is a cannibal ra

...you know outside of Jason joking about the sexual traits of monsters after the 60s isn't as much fun

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Didn't Jason rape someone in a flashback in pt 3?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

No and I hate that ever came up. It flies in the face of every view of Jason as a character.

The best way to view it is Jason was new to killing people, scared her so bad she blacked out and thought she died and went on his way.

Anything else can just be ignored because it literally doesn't fit any side of Jason we've seen since.

Freddy as a rapist is, well. That's just literal fact of the character, though downplayed when he's meant to be more comical.

Leatherface as a rapist tends to happen in the dumber worse movies, and if he isn't his family has some one who is

Jason doesn't sex. Doesn't want sex. Will be brought back to life by the sheer act OF sex happening and his rage that it is happening.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Candyman’s relationships seem pretty progressive and he actively seeks out consent (he only shows up if you say his name three times).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burkion posted:

Jason doesn't sex. Doesn't want sex. Will be brought back to life by the sheer act OF sex happening and his rage that it is happening.

Jason is Procel

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Origami Dali posted:

I feel like I would remember that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They guy Kane plays in the See No Evil movies similarly hates even the concept of people having sex.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I always liked the notion that Freddy was actually wrongfully lynched, and his spirit became a violent pervert to embody what his killers reviled him for. But then, nobody’s talking about Freddy the mortal guy when they talk about Freddy, I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dracula is the ultimate embodiment of right of prima nochte and more generally the injustice of the monarchical class and how they prey on the working class and peasants.

He's not an incel he's a rich kid who date rapes routinely and is shielded from consequences due to his wealth and fame.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if I find classic movie commentaries (usually done by film historians) are super interesting from a sheer density of historical facts, or wearying because there's a distance between commentator and the film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/OddPittsburgh/status/1180195248959639556?s=19
God I'm 27 and have done jackshit

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's awesome, I'm 32 and I'm in the same category of "amounting to nothing."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yeah you've never accidentally released a movie into public domain by doing paperwork wrong, thus allowing hundreds of godawful 50 horror movie packs to include one classic to trick people into thinking the other 49 might be good too.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Quick post during a pee break while watching Razorback: Holy poo poo the hunters/kangaroo butchers are loving nuts. Straight up Texas Chainsaw + Mad Max. I love it!

Edit: gently caress me this is a gorgeous movie. Holy poo poo.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 4, 2019

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
:3:

Razorback is a gem. Saw it when I decided to grab a random VHS at the tape store about 18 years ago. Wound up watching a whole bunch of garbage afterwards trying to replicate the experiment.

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

Popelmon posted:

Quick post during a pee break while watching Razorback: Holy poo poo the hunters/kangaroo butchers are loving nuts. Straight up Texas Chainsaw + Mad Max. I love it!

Edit: gently caress me this is a gorgeous movie. Holy poo poo.

Awesome, this one is coming up on my que for the October Challenge. Now I'm pumped! :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sigher posted:

That's awesome, I'm 32 and I'm in the same category of "amounting to nothing."

I'm 38, and my greatest accomplishment is not dying

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Burkion posted:

No and I hate that ever came up. It flies in the face of every view of Jason as a character.

The best way to view it is Jason was new to killing people, scared her so bad she blacked out and thought she died and went on his way.

Anything else can just be ignored because it literally doesn't fit any side of Jason we've seen since.
Look, I don't like to view Jason as a rapist because it's gross. And I'm fine with the head canon and the film definitely leaves things kind of ambiguous.

But at the same time, it's really obvious what the movie is going for.

EDIT: Also, Part 3 Jason is just really different than other depictions of Jason. He seems more fragile and a bit more sadistic.

Jason's kind of weird because he's only really the platonic ideal of what we think of as Jason in IV.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 4, 2019

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Alright, finished with Razorback. Woof.

Razorback (1984)

This was sold to me as an Australian Jaws with a huge boar. That description is not completely wrong but it really misses why this movie is loving amazing.

The first thing that stands out is how absolutely unbelievably beautiful the cinematography in this movie is. Easily in the top 10 of the 80's. I was also really impressed by how weird it was willing to get with some of the characters. The kangaroo poachers are a very weird but also very amazing blend of Mad Max and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This frequently leads to scenes that are both absolutely disgusting and super gorgeous. Have I mentioned how loving beautiful this movie looks? God drat.

I don't want to repeat any story beats here but I really liked how the movie the big cliches without doing the big wink wink nudge nudge "hey we know what you expect here but we are doing something different" thing. The movie moves on at a break-neck pace but it never feels rushed.

Watch this movie! 100% recommendation.

4 /5

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
In tonights edition of "It is Horror?": Eyes Wide Shut. Is it Horror?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's a close call, but I think I have to go with "no."

My working definition of horror is that it's about the intrusion (1) of something we suppress or deny (2) into normal life (3) in a monstrous, symbolic form (4).

Tom Cruise's character has to actively go looking for evil, so "intrusion" is pretty weak.

The movie's attitude towards the rich, despite all the baroque imagery, is less one of suppression or denial and more one of mute acceptance: we know they get up to this poo poo and the ending, especially, is about one the participants failing to convincingly deny the ugly, mundane reality of what happened because it's too obvious. The point of the movie is that we're kind of numb to how monstrous the fabulously wealthy are, not that we deny it.

The movie's also hugely concerned with domesticity and marriage and whether Cruise and Kidman's relationship can survive contact with wealth and power, so the contrast with normalcy is there.

As for the monstrous and symbolic -- horror doesn't have to be supernatural, and it doesn't have to be allegorical, but if it's neither, that gives me pause. Like, would news footage be horror? Kubrick's film is still fiction, and the party scene is surreal and dreamlike, but the movie is extremely careful to point out that the ritual and the nightmare atmosphere are a pretension, and that these are actually just lovely old men loving prostitutes.

So no, I don't think it's horror. Compare Eyes Wide Shut to The People Under the Stairs and I think you'd have a pretty good rubric for what's missing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah I’d call Eyes Wide Shut nightmarish but not horror

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

I don't remember if I've seen a directors cut of Halloween but the director's cut of Halloween II is clearly the better version.

I'm almost certain the director's cut of the first movie is the default version on any dvd/blu you buy.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Creepshow is good fun. Only thing I don't like so far is its look, it's got that kind of cheap digital visual you get from sci-fi shows filmed in Vancouver. You lose a lot with these little anthology segments without that grainy film look.

Speaking of, Body Bags just showed up on Shudder and it was thoroughly enjoyable. Two segments from John Carpenter and one from Tobe Hooper, plus Stacy Keach with an incredible mane of hair.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Speaking of Body Bags, there's a lesser known 1991 horror movie called Body Parts that I love. It's actually very slow and not a lot happens in it overall, but then it goes all out for the final act. It's about someone who has to have a limb amputated during an accident, but then they do a procedure where they attach a different limb to him and he's restored! But the limb belonged to a recently executed violent killer! Will bad things start to happen? Find out!!!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of Body Bags, there's a lesser known 1991 horror movie called Body Parts that I love. It's actually very slow and not a lot happens in it overall, but then it goes all out for the final act. It's about someone who has to have a limb amputated during an accident, but then they do a procedure where they attach a different limb to him and he's restored! But the limb belonged to a recently executed violent killer! Will bad things start to happen? Find out!!!

To anyone who hasn’t seen Body Parts, I cannot overstate how loving insane the third act is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hypothetical Question: In twelve years, the CGI-ing dead actors technology gets so good to the point that Universal will release a new movie called House of Frankenstein that is filmed in black and white, made to look like a classic Universal Horror movie, and includes the Bela version of Dracula and Boris version of Frankenstein finally on screen together albeit through CGI wizardy. The movie is directed by whoever you feel like would be the best director and substantial money would be going to the estates of the original actors. Would you be into it?

Would it impact your opinion if Mads Mikkelsen was doing the voice of Dracula?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 5, 2019

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Timeless Appeal posted:

the Bella version of Dracula

yo cool it with the Breaking Dawn spoilers okay

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hypothetical Question: In twelve years, the CGI-ing dead actors technology gets so good to the point that Universal will release a new movie called House of Frankenstein that is filmed in black and white, made to look like a classic Universal Horror movie, and includes the Bella version of Dracula and Boris version of Frankenstein finally on screen together albeit through CGI wizardy. The movie is directed by whoever you feel like would be the best director and substantial money would be going to the estates of the original actors. Would you be into it?

I would not be into that. That sounds like a dumb nostalgia grab, except everybody who would be nostalgic for those movies would be fifty years dead by that time. Even if they were giving a lot of money to Bela Lugosi's great great grandchildren.

gently caress Bela Lugosi's great great grandchildren, they didn't do poo poo. They shouldn't get a penny from this hypothetical movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hypothetical Question: In twelve years, the CGI-ing dead actors technology gets so good to the point that Universal will release a new movie called House of Frankenstein that is filmed in black and white, made to look like a classic Universal Horror movie, and includes the Bella version of Dracula and Boris version of Frankenstein finally on screen together albeit through CGI wizardy. The movie is directed by whoever you feel like would be the best director and substantial money would be going to the estates of the original actors. Would you be into it?

Sounds weird, I'd be down

quote:

...would he be doing a Bela Lugosi impression or just doing his regular Mads voice

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Kind of a half way point?

Adlai Stevenson posted:

yo cool it with the Breaking Dawn spoilers okay
He's just too beautiful for me to not make that typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hypothetical Question: In twelve years, the CGI-ing dead actors technology gets so good to the point that Universal will release a new movie called House of Frankenstein that is filmed in black and white, made to look like a classic Universal Horror movie, and includes the Bela version of Dracula and Boris version of Frankenstein finally on screen together albeit through CGI wizardy. The movie is directed by whoever you feel like would be the best director and substantial money would be going to the estates of the original actors. Would you be into it?

Eh, just have a massage therapist hold a cape in front of his face, same thing.