Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

To this day I cannot bring myself to hit Swablu. I usually run away from battle, or if it's a trainer battle try to use sapping or status draining moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ka0 posted:

To this day I cannot bring myself to hit Swablu. I usually run away from battle, or if it's a trainer battle try to use sapping or status draining moves.

I feel the same about hunting hidden ability rockruff. I couldn't bear to hurt the puppies. I just waited till wonder trade did it's thing.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zore posted:

Yeah Gamefreak decided to do a lore drop at some point that it's insanely painful and drives most Pokemon with it mad with rage because ????

Like what the gently caress Gamefreak.

There's some really weird and disturbing aspects of XY's story like how a 9 foot tall dude used a laser cannon powered by Pokemon life energy, who all died to create it, to end a bloody war 3000 years ago. Also said laser cannon brought his beloved Floette back to life, who was enraged that her owner did such a thing. This is all in-between the standard bad guy wants to destroy the world with legendary monsters story. Especially odd after BW's story actually being interesting, unique, and a departure from the usual stuff.

XY was just really weird on most levels from the ultra linear world, even by Pokemon standards, to how gated Megas were, to the super strange Mega selections themselves.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 7, 2019

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Rotom dex is an edgelord. Also what do you expect? He's a ghost type.

rotom dex is a motherfucker and needs to shut the hell up. i hate rotom dex

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rotomdex is my son and i love him

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Exploud has a ridiculously wide movepool, STAB Boomburst, and a HA which makes STAB Boomburst hit ghosts, giving it MegaEvo type stats is overkill. I did a rotating roster in my latest run of ORAS but the Whismur I caught before the first gym has never been boxed. She's basically my Pikachu and I just wish I had walking Pokemon here to complete the look.

They gave Garchomp a mega. There is no overkill anymore.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

SirSamVimes posted:

The big irony is that Mega Garchomp manages to be worse then regular Garchomp.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SirSamVimes posted:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SirSamVimes posted:

Its Mega made it arguably worse though. Which is an accomplishment

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Its Mega made it arguably worse though. Which is an accomplishment

Speed is everything.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mega Garchomp is good, it just isn't "always use this in lieu of regular chomp" good, which is very different from all the mediocre or bad mons who got megas. And frankly it's the best thing to do for giving megas to already strong mons.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
also it looks like an eva so thats cool

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

qnqnx posted:

Speed is everything.

Sableye (faster): PU
Mega Sableye (slower): OU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
mfw my opponent just sacked their lando

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/Saternoir/status/1180944612048986113

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

less laughter posted:

Sableye (faster): PU
Mega Sableye (slower): OU

Still applies. Having more speed is usually a good thing unless you actually want to be slower then your opponent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still love that Sableye is up there with Regigigas, Slaking and Archeops as one of the few Pokemon with a wholly negative ability for some reason? And even then, half can have Keen Eye which is just mostly irrelevant rather than actively detrimental

They really overvalued how good 'no weaknesses' was in Gen III.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Zore posted:

I still love that Sableye is up there with Regigigas, Slaking and Archeops as one of the few Pokemon with a wholly negative ability for some reason? And even then, half can have Keen Eye which is just mostly irrelevant rather than actively detrimental

Considering Sableye only got Stall in Gen IV, and the Lagging Tail and Full Incense exist as Items, I'm pretty sure it was intended to be used for some kind of 7d chess plays that just didn't pan out because Sableye is definitely not the mon to appreciate it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At the extreme ends of speed is the ideal. Low end for Trick Room, high end for normal stuff. There's basically an anti- goldilocks zone where being in between its terrible absent other things

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

The bizarre part was that it got Stall in Gen IV, not III. Have to wonder what they were trying to do with it there.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Competitively speaking, how do Mewtwo's 2 broken mega evolutions fare compared to vanilla?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Getting banned from a banlist is bar none the greatest accomplishment in Pokemon.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Competitively speaking, how do Mewtwo's 2 broken mega evolutions fare compared to vanilla?

Going solely off of the smogon blurbs: Normal mewtwo with a life orb beats out Y for pure damage, but it has 10 lower base speed, has a worse ability, and takes 10% of its hp in damage for every attack it does. So overall Y is better in more situations than normal, although normal can have its niche. X may as well just be a whole different pokemon thanks to it getting a secondary fighting type and being a physical attacker.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I thought we were getting shadow ball Mewtwo tonight, but it's Psystrike again?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Bell_ posted:

I thought we were getting shadow ball Mewtwo tonight, but it's Psystrike again?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

will home and sleep have separate threads

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
pokemon sleep is unironically my most anticipated upcoming pokemon game and probably the largest reason for this is that i dont know what it is

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

pokemon sleep is unironically my most anticipated upcoming pokemon game and probably the largest reason for this is that i dont know what it is

It's basically 2019's Monpoke.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Mega Mewtwo Y is a reasonably common staple. Mega Mewtwo X is a bit more niche. Normal Mewtwo is pretty nonstandard and considered kind of gimmicky/weak.

So keep in mind that these are the speed tiers on the high end of ubers:

504: Deoxys-Speed
445: Scarf Yveltal
439: Scarf Lunala
438: +Nature Deoxys-Attack
433: +1 Rayquaza
416: Mewtwo-Y
399: Neutral nature Deoxys-Attack
396: +1 Zygarde-Complete
394: Mewtwo, Mewtwo-X, Mega Gengar
392: Ultra Necrozma
383: Marshadow
375: Naganadel
372: Mega Salamence, Arceus

Mewtwo Y cleanly outspeeds 3 very common Pokemon that normal/X can't, and that is worth quite a lot. It's especially important that Mewtwo actually preys on the 3 Pokemon between 130 and 140 base speed (Deoxys falls over to everything, Zygarde gets taken out by Ice Beam, Gengar gets taken out by Psystrike), and Mewtwo doesn't actually have a great answer for Lunala or Yveltal anyways. Like, Shadow Ball will only ever knock out Lunala with Shadow Shield down and it's extremely gimmicky because Shadow Ball isn't useful in the rest of the meta, Lunala can ohko Mewtwo with Moongeist Beam anyways, and if it's a CM Lunala that gets off a CM Shadow Ball stops ohkoing even without Shadow Shield. Ice Beam only does around 70% to even the most offensive builds of Yveltal.

If you think about the actual upsides of Mewtwo-X, it gains a reasonable matchup vs Yveltal, Ho-oh, and Dusk-Mane while becoming an Arceus-Dark counter. Ice Beam is still so important for hitting Salamence, Rayquaza, and Zygarde that even Mewtwo-X runs it, though it ends up a lot weaker than on Mewtwo-Y, which means the 3 attacking moves run are often going to be Low Kick, Ice Beam, and Stone Edge (if you don't have Stone Edge for Ho-oh and Yveltal that takes away a lot of the reason to use Mewtwo-X at all). This leaves Mewtwo without a psychic move, meaning its matchup against Mega Gengar, Marshadow, and Naganadel now kind of suck. It's important to Mewtwo that X exists because you can't tell if Mewtwo is X or Y before a battle starts, but its actually selling points aren't great compared to Y.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

They could give Mewtwo X ice hammer too. Never too late to make a broken thing more broken.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DrLavaYT/status/1181613800199540736

They really, really, really should've gone with that design and made Blastoise...I dunno, related to Lapras?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

blastoise is way cooler than 'what if wartortle but slightly bigger'

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

blastoise is way cooler than 'what if wartortle but slightly bigger'

Venusaur and Charizard are both "Middle Evo But Bigger With An Added Feature"

Would have fit well with the rest of the Gen I evos, most of which are just "Larger Versions of First Evo"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Vinylshadow posted:

Would have fit well with the rest of the Gen I evos, most of which are just "Larger Versions of First Evo"

what are you calling venusaur's added feature that isn't covered by "middle evo but bigger"?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Charizard getting wings is pretty distinct comparatively

Also you have several Gen 1 evos that change a ton from their prevos like Dragonite, Gengar, Fearow, Golbat, Venomoth, Golem, Exeggutor, Gyarados, Kabutops, etc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like beta stoise. Wartortle suffers from rhyhorn syndrome- I like their evolutions but I also really like the prevo's design and wish more of that stuck around.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vinylshadow posted:

https://twitter.com/DrLavaYT/status/1181613800199540736

They really, really, really should've gone with that design and made Blastoise...I dunno, related to Lapras?

Oh I love that tail, they should have combined the tail and ears of this guy with Blastoise's cannons.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rinkles posted:

what are you calling venusaur's added feature that isn't covered by "middle evo but bigger"?

The plant on its back has blossomed

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

It's taken over 1000 eggs but I finally hatched the shiny eevee I wanted!

He's gonna make such a cute sylveon.

To celebrate I'd like to gift his sister to someone here.

She doesn't have her hidden ablity and her calm nature limits her evolution options but she's free to the first goon who'd like her on the condition that they give her a nickname.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Aristide posted:

It's taken over 1000 eggs but I finally hatched the shiny eevee I wanted!

:eek: