Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
He's 66? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's amusing that with Stupid Watergate II, John didn't mention that what Trump was "investigating" was that Biden essentially did something very similar in Ukraine as well

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's amusing that with Stupid Watergate II, John didn't mention that what Trump was "investigating" was that Biden essentially did something very similar in Ukraine as well

Not really. They both threatened to withhold funds but with Biden it was part of a general international push to get a more competent investigator in place whilst Trump did it to dig up/manufacture dirt on a potential political opponent.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Not really. They both threatened to withhold funds but with Biden it was part of a general international push to get a more competent investigator in place whilst Trump did it to dig up/manufacture dirt on a potential political opponent.

Biden's son had nothing to do with it?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Biden's son had nothing to do with it?

I think he was given the position to encourage a closer relationship with the US and that the actual diplomatic push had nothing to do with him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It seemed like he could barely move his mouth.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Alhazred posted:

It seemed like he could barely move his mouth.

Probably Botox.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hunt11 posted:

I think he was given the position to encourage a closer relationship with the US and that the actual diplomatic push had nothing to do with him.

Also, the diplomatic push was one of the truly bipartisan efforts in the last decade.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

swickles posted:

Also, the diplomatic push was one of the truly bipartisan efforts in the last decade.

And backed by the EU, it was something multiple countries wanted and the US was available to get it done. We and other countries have withheld aid in the past if a country is doing something we don't want them to do, this time it was just centered on the one guy.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Seems haven't talked about last night's show, but, I was at the taping. It only took me like 3 years of tries for me to get tickets.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Diva cups are actually a real thing:eng101:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alhazred posted:

Diva cups are actually a real thing:eng101:
That was the one I knew. It was the other two I hadn't heard of and didn't specifically know if they're real or not.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I knew which one was fake because while I'd never heard of a "diva cup," the fake one had a patently absurd name.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who woulda thought that a strict and dehumanizing policy with no thought to wellbeing or consequences would lead to mass suffering?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm surprised that there are "only' 32 million more males than female. That's like a 2% difference.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

so are we going to start seeing a huge rash of Chinese incel violence in a few years? like, in this country there are actually more women than men and we still have a bunch of disaffected lonely young men who believe they're never going to have a sexual relationship because of genetics, imagine if there actually were millions more men than women here. generally when a bunch of men fail at pick-up artisting that is the next step.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DC Murderverse posted:

so are we going to start seeing a huge rash of Chinese incel violence in a few years? like, in this country there are actually more women than men and we still have a bunch of disaffected lonely young men who believe they're never going to have a sexual relationship because of genetics, imagine if there actually were millions more men than women here. generally when a bunch of men fail at pick-up artisting that is the next step.

you get a gold star for weirdest takeaway, congrats

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who woulda thought that a strict and dehumanizing policy with no thought to wellbeing or consequences would lead to mass suffering?

excuse me this is a pro-capitalist show

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sexpig by night posted:

Young, hopeless men with few or even no prospects seems a pretty big loving deal to me? I doubt they'll go the incel route because it's totally stupid to anyone not braindead though

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Young, hopeless men with few or even no prospects seems a pretty big loving deal to me? I doubt they'll go the incel route because it's totally stupid to anyone not braindead though

The silver lining for China is that they don't have like 12 guns or whatever per person just floating around there, within easy reach of every braindead psychopath. :yaycloud:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Atomizer posted:

The silver lining for China is that they don't have like 12 guns or whatever per person just floating around there, within easy reach of every braindead psychopath. :yaycloud:

japan has a similar population of disaffected young men but they just hole up and get body pillows, which is really the best case scenario

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

japan has a similar population of disaffected young men but they just hole up and get body pillows, which is really the best case scenario

This is basically what they did in the US too until white supremacists decided that it would make for a good recruitment pool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What was the ostensible reason for attempting to dramatically reduce their population anyways? Did they just buy into malthusian apocalypse hypotheses and decide that they couldn't support themselves?

Phi230 posted:

excuse me this is a pro-capitalist show

I did think that you could draw a couple parallels with American immigration policy. Especially the creation of a class of legal unpersons. But it's so much more pervasive and anti-family.

Also a clear distinction is that in America we're free to talk openly about how horrible the national policy is and even have the prospect of changing regimes within the year.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Young hopeless men are famously the most braindead demographic. Whatever manifests will probably be stupid in its own way, but it's not hard to imagine some kind of collapse or downturn at some point when China's chickens come home to roost.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Me as well. I don’t think they’ll wind up like American incels either, but yeah...it’s already driving sex trafficking, so toxic poo poo is already happening.

Taking LWT at face value, a generation of men who were commonly treated as princelings throughout their youth who then need to compete brutally for women seems...dangerous in a lot of ways. I can’t imagine the experience of women trafficked into China for marriage to that person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't help but picture every party I've ever been to where the ratio was like 6:1 women to men.

Angry, sexless, loveless men are the single biggest threat on Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You pretty much have the same thing with the lost boys in the West who were promised success on a silver platter just like Boomers and got nothing.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

It must be real nice to live a life of total historical amnesia

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You pretty much have the same thing with the lost boys in the West who were promised success on a silver platter just like Boomers and got nothing.
That's just it. It's happening absolutely everywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

What was the ostensible reason for attempting to dramatically reduce their population anyways? Did they just buy into malthusian apocalypse hypotheses and decide that they couldn't support themselves?

Yeah. There were other concerns that the population would get too big too, and China doesn't have that much good farmland so a massive population plus an ideological dedication to autarky weren't compatible.

Some of my students in China had stories about the policy. As the show mentioned, having a girl didn't always count (it was administered locally and my stories are from a city in Sichuan). If you had a girl you could apply for an exemption to try again for a boy without getting in trouble.

One girl in my class was the first born, and her parents wanted to try again when she was in late elementary school. They bribed a doctor to write a report that she was mentally disabled and shouldn't be counted as a person, and when they met with the family planning people my student had to pretend to basically be inert, barely able to move and not able to speak or understand language. The officials bought the act and they got permission to have another kid, who turned out to be a boy so the family was happy that now they had a real child.

A lot of my students were from rich families that would just eat the fine/pay bribes and keep having kids until they got a boy.

Korea also really hates daughters but the imbalance there is less acute since it wasn't government policy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really don't have much to say about the latest episode beyond the obvious, like it sure does suck having a malevolent madman in the highest office of the country, but I bring news related to the show.

:siren: Bob's eating poo poo. :siren:

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really don't have much to say about the latest episode beyond the obvious, like it sure does suck having a malevolent madman in the highest office of the country, but I bring news related to the show.

:siren: Bob's eating poo poo. :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDX7yVmQam8

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

No thoughts on the voting machines segment?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Oliver recommending voting machines with a paper trail was very cringe.

The solution is to get rid of voting machines. Vote with pencil and paper (no dumb punchcard poo poo). That poo poo works and, combined with proper bipartisan ballot count monitoring, cannot be hacked.

Ofcourse, it also cannot be grifted for sweet government contracts, which is the main reason voting machines are a thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Then again there was that dude who just stole all the ballots and trashed them. But yeah. poo poo's super rare.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Five seconds after the very first secret ballot election in human history was announced, a corrupt politician figured out a way to manipulate the results, .

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pretty much every election I have ever been really aware of, there have been truckloads of articles and allegations that voting machines are very easy to compromise and almost certainly have been. Nobody ever does something about it. I guess at least this election cycle there's the excuse that the current administration is in cahoots with the biggest threat to free elections and actively sabotaged the measures that congress attempted to implement.

The whole "politicians will never try to change the system that out them in" is painfully true, and it is why everything will steadily slide downhill as old systems show their old problems and just get worse and worse as bodies created by flawed systems refuse to bite the hand that fed them, and the bodies that follow them can be even more flawed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’ll never stop election fraud you just try to minimize it enough for it to statistically not matter. In general I think voter fraud is pretty minimal anyways, ya know, since it’s away easier to suppress turnout.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Orange Devil posted:

Oliver recommending voting machines with a paper trail was very cringe.

The solution is to get rid of voting machines. Vote with pencil and paper (no dumb punchcard poo poo). That poo poo works and, combined with proper bipartisan ballot count monitoring, cannot be hacked.

Ofcourse, it also cannot be grifted for sweet government contracts, which is the main reason voting machines are a thing.

An optical scanner is still a voting machine, and the bill Oliver is talking about covers those as well.

Unless you’re actually suggesting hand counting ballots, which is a massive undertaking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Voter fraud and electoral fraud are two different things and one is a much bigger problem than the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Invalid Validation posted:

You’ll never stop election fraud you just try to minimize it enough for it to statistically not matter. In general I think voter fraud is pretty minimal anyways, ya know, since it’s away easier to suppress turnout.

Yeah, the cases of voter fraud are statistically insignificant (although, admittedly, how much impact there was on 2016 is up in the air) and I think prior to 2016 there had been like seven or eight confirmed cases of voter fraud across the last three elections and almost all of them were to benefit Republicans. The tool that actually works is voter suppression, and that's only going to get more brazen over the next year.