Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Binary Badger posted:

Louis Rossman is different from most folks because he knows what the hell he's talking about at a bare metal level.

That's where 95% of his expertise is.

He doesn’t know WTH he’s talking about, though. He’s a self taught component level repair tech who got some minor youtube celebrity. His knowledge has massive gaps, but the fame has gone to his head and now he’s trying to act like he knows how to design things and how engineering organizations should work.

As someone on the engineering side, when I listen to him, there are a lot of “But...” and straight up tooth grinding moments. There was a recent one where he went nuclear about Apple supposedly designing a newer version of a MBP to fail worse on water entry than old models, whether due to incompetence or hinted-at malice. It was cringeworthy. I mention that particular video because Dave the EEVBlog guy (actual engineer) posted a response video where, despite taking care to not come across as a hostile callout, he calmly dissected Rossman’s claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Okay, I stand corrected.

He does seem to know his way around a soldering iron, but next time I'll reserve judgment on any of his ilk until I see some rebuttals of their work.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/10/3/20897467/dell-xps-13-laptop-six-core-processor You can now buy a 13-inch laptop with a six-core processor

C’mon Apple, give me a six-core 14” edge-to-edge MacBook Pro with Face ID.

eames
May 9, 2009

The whole MacBook lineup is starting to look pretty stale compared to the recent windows releases, but maybe that’s just me.
I read some rumors about high end (read: very expensive) devices with microled launching next year, so we’ll probably see little more than a bunch of speed bumps with fixed keyboards and smaller bezels this year. Hope I am wrong!

vvv I didn't watch the video (nor am I planning to) but the new MBA cooling seems fine. It's essentially a passively cooled system like the 12" MB with a little fan for extra airflow. It's a 7W TDP CPU after all, nobody is complaining about iPad Pro cooling either. vvv

eames fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 4, 2019

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

re: the MBA cooling video, are they seeing greater heat-related failures than expected with the design though? The immediate counter-point to the video is that the pressure differential will cause airflow through the chassis (and over the heatsink) anyway as the intake is on the opposite side to the fan. Did Rossman omit discussion of this because it's just not delivering enough cooling anyway (and focusing the fan's airflow presumably would), or because Rossman knows nothing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
A thread-related LGR:

https://youtu.be/9UclHrIIaYA

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pivo posted:

re: the MBA cooling video, are they seeing greater heat-related failures than expected with the design though? The immediate counter-point to the video is that the pressure differential will cause airflow through the chassis (and over the heatsink) anyway as the intake is on the opposite side to the fan. Did Rossman omit discussion of this because it's just not delivering enough cooling anyway (and focusing the fan's airflow presumably would), or because Rossman knows nothing?

This is what it looked like to me. The vanes on the heatsink are arranged so that they will receive a small airflow across them through the intake being on one side and the fan on the other to cool the SEVEN WATT processor. It's hard to imagine the total heat generation in the MBA is more than the iPad Pro 13".

The current fanless MacBook's processor is only 4.5W.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

The whole MacBook lineup is starting to look pretty stale compared to the recent windows releases, but maybe that’s just me.
I read some rumors about high end (read: very expensive) devices with microled launching next year, so we’ll probably see little more than a bunch of speed bumps with fixed keyboards and smaller bezels this year. Hope I am wrong!

vvv I didn't watch the video (nor am I planning to) but the new MBA cooling seems fine. It's essentially a passively cooled system like the 12" MB with a little fan for extra airflow. It's a 7W TDP CPU after all, nobody is complaining about iPad Pro cooling either. vvv

Honestly I think the screens now are great. Having a new high end 16 inch laptop, followed by a 14 inch new model (please please please) and a good keyboard again and I’ll be stoked... in 2022 when version 2 or 3 is out and it’s the best one of that type. It will also be when I’ll upgrade my (new) MacBook Pro 2015 which I love dearly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The two things I want:

Thicker MacBook
99W Battery

Edit* Bonus magical unicorn round:
- Ryzen instead of Intel

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I feel like Apple would throw in one of their Bionic chips into a MacBook before they'd ever consider going with a Ryzen chip.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I remember when “Apple has secret AMD Macs” made the rumor sites around ~2012 supposedly due to Apple and Intel having a disagreement and everybody collectively poo poo a brick because this was during the bad old days

I’d love a 12 core iMac now tho. Or a Threadripper iMac Pro.

Also the Mac Mini would be vastly improved with the sort of ‘AMD Inside’ Intel CPU that went into the latest high end NUC. That seems a smidge more realistic than an AMD APU ever going into one of those. The current graphics seriously limit its capability.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 4, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

teagone posted:

I feel like Apple would throw in one of their Bionic chips into a MacBook before they'd ever consider going with a Ryzen chip.

Probably, on the other hand Apple must be getting Intel chips really, really cheap at this point. The 14nm chips going into the Mac Pro are going to be worse than TR2 in almost every way.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple usually arranges sweetheart deals for itself whenever external vendors are involved.

I'd bet good money that nVidia is currently in the doghouse with Apple for refusing to give them one (among other reasons.)

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Binary Badger posted:

Apple usually arranges sweetheart deals for itself whenever external vendors are involved.

I'd bet good money that nVidia is currently in the doghouse with Apple for refusing to give them one (among other reasons.)

Just as likely Apple is in Nvidia's doghouse still for throwing them under the bus (rightly so) over that GPU debacle. Probably still bad blood on both sides; it's still recent enough to fester.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I remember when “Apple has secret AMD Macs” made the rumor sites around ~2012 supposedly due to Apple and Intel having a disagreement and everybody collectively poo poo a brick because this was during the bad old days

I’d love a 12 core iMac now tho. Or a Threadripper iMac Pro.

Also the Mac Mini would be vastly improved with the sort of ‘AMD Inside’ Intel CPU that went into the latest high end NUC. That seems a smidge more realistic than an AMD APU ever going into one of those. The current graphics seriously limit its capability.

I think Intel gave up on those AMD Inside technology because the leaks for the Nuc 9 show it using a GTX 1660Ti somehow.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Xabi posted:

A colleague just spilt a cup of coffee all over my private 2013 MacBook Pro. I wiped off the excess liquid, turned off the computer and put it upside-down. Is here anything else I should do? What are the odds it survived the disaster once I turn it on?

I’m a bit afraid it will turn on just fine and then die on me in a few weeks time when I will have trouble proving this was the reason for its death :confused:

My wife did the same thing and it basically just needed a keyboard replacement. It’s a pain in the butt to do yourself, but it is doable. If you take it somewhere official they will basically want to replace the bottom part of the computer minus the logic board.

The keyboard in the 2013 models is riveted to the aluminum case (because of course it is) and also has a giant metal sticker on the back between it and the logic board that does a reasonable job of containing liquid. My wife did have keys start to fail, but the logic board was fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Went to MicroCenter and picked up some things I hoped to be able to use..

First was a 128 GB USB stick, the Samsung BAR Plus, which was on sale for a decent price of $27. It's got the Samsung name, probably has Samsung NAND, and it's pretty drat tiny, should be a winner.

Well, it kind of was.

Pros: small, light can fit on keychain, good price, USB 3.1, tested speed, reads are at 305 MB/s as advertised

Cons:
• no SMART support. Fine, but I ought to be able to tell in advance when a flash key's gonna fail.

• Can't take sustained writes. AJA System Test Lite gave 305 MB/s read, but only 45 MB/s write; it started at 90 MB/s but immediately throttled down to 45.

• (this may be trivial to some) no LED to indicate activity. Eh, guess I'll live without it.

I also picked up something I wanted to get for a long time, so I got it thanks to a gift card; it's a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB interface. It'll convert the Thunderbolt 1/2 port on a MBP to USB 3.0. "Why, BB? Most MBP's with Thunderbolt also have USB 3?"

Well, yeah, MOST, but the most annoying are all the MBPs, iMacs, and Mac Mini from Early/Late 2011, they got Thunderbolt 1 ports but kept the lovely, slow USB 2.0 ports, USB 3 didn't come to Macs until the 2012 models.

A lot of them seem to be having issues lately (apart from being eight years old,) and trying to get a Time Machine backup or clone from those guys is super painfully slow if you use the USB, and what few Thunderbolt 1/2 enclosures docks exist are horribly expensive.

So I get this and try to start doing some backups to some cheapo USB 3.0 drives, when I notice they keep dropping from the USB chain during sustained transfers. I'm about to call the company for an RMA, when looking at the box I notice a tiny double asterisk which says 'this unit best used with a USB hub.' Then I notice it's on the box in the form of a diagram too. WTF? You mean you're charging $80 for a piece of equipment that can't power a storage device without external help? It goes back to their bargain bin tomorrow..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That makes sense - Thunderbolt doesn't carry power, right?

At least not USB levels of power.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

That makes sense - Thunderbolt doesn't carry power, right?

At least not USB levels of power.
I think it can but hell if I know how much cause there’s only been so much portable TB 1/2 stuff to begin with.

I’ve had that adapter on my older 2011 Mac mini for a while now. Before with a self powered desktop drive, and currently with a bus powered USB-SATA SSD enclosure.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Thunderbolt 1/2 ports could supply about 10 or 15 watts iirc

In principle that's enough to power a USB storage device but depending on the age of the TB chipset and design of the adapter, most of that power budget could be eaten just running the TB-PCIe bridge, PCIe USB controller, and other junk.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It also has an eSATA 2.0 port that I bet most of the power goes to.

Edit: checks out, here's the same diagram as on their box:

Found a spare USB 3.0 hub (an old Plugable) so I guess I'll keep it for servicing 2011 clients and whatever hellish machines that exist that have Thunderbolt, but not USB 3.0.

They also have a Thunderbolt 3 to eSATA 2 / USB 3.0 and a Thunderbolt 1/2 to USB 3.0/Gigabit Ethernet, the latter being useful to connect those old 2011 Macs to GE.

The Samsung BAR Plus sucks at writes, but it does make a great fast macOS installer drive, I just partitioned it for Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra and saved the fourth partition for the release version of Shatterina.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 7, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

This appears to be the GPU going into the new 16" Macbook Pro. The numbers — once throttled to fit into the 96W power envelope of the new charger — are very close to a 1060/1060 max-Q. Mobile Pascal with 3 years delay. :toot:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14949/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5500-series-for-desktop-and-mobile/2

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Maneki Neko posted:

My wife did the same thing and it basically just needed a keyboard replacement. It’s a pain in the butt to do yourself, but it is doable. If you take it somewhere official they will basically want to replace the bottom part of the computer minus the logic board.

The keyboard in the 2013 models is riveted to the aluminum case (because of course it is) and also has a giant metal sticker on the back between it and the logic board that does a reasonable job of containing liquid. My wife did have keys start to fail, but the logic board was fine.
Thanks. It means there is hope.

I have handed it in at an AASP so we will see what they find.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

dosdude installer. I think this is one of the oldest machines that still works. C2D/Q supremacy. Posting from same machine.

e: some day I'll post from a machine made during my reg year

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 8, 2019

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wonder if there's hope for my two 2011 macbook airs then :q:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

dosdude installer. I think this is one of the oldest machines that still works. C2D/Q supremacy. Posting from same machine.

e: some day I'll post from a machine made during my reg year

I thought he wasn't making installers for Macs that old?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Supported machines for dosdude1's Catalina patcher, now at v.1.1.6.

dosdude1 posted:

Early-2008 or newer Mac Pro, iMac, or MacBook Pro:
MacPro3,1
MacPro4,1
MacPro5,1
iMac8,1
iMac9,1
iMac10,x
iMac11,x (systems with AMD Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series GPUs will be almost unusable when running Catalina.)
iMac12,x (systems with AMD Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx series GPUs will be almost unusable when running Catalina.)
MacBookPro4,1
MacBookPro5,x
MacBookPro6,x
MacBookPro7,x
MacBookPro8,x

Late-2008 or newer MacBook Air or Aluminum Unibody MacBook:
MacBookAir2,1
MacBookAir3,x
MacBookAir4,x
MacBook5,1

Early-2009 or newer Mac Mini or white MacBook:
Macmini3,1
Macmini4,1
Macmini5,x (systems with AMD Radeon HD 6xxx series GPUs will be almost unusable when running Catalina.)
MacBook5,2
MacBook6,1
MacBook7,1

Early-2008 or newer Xserve:
Xserve2,1
Xserve3,1

Machines that ARE NOT supported:
2006-2007 Mac Pros, iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Mac Minis:
MacPro1,1
MacPro2,1
iMac4,1
iMac5,x
iMac6,1
iMac7,1
MacBookPro1,1
MacBookPro2,1
MacBookPro3,1
Macmini1,1
Macmini2,1

— The 2007 iMac 7,1 is compatible if the CPU is upgraded to a Penryn-based Core 2 Duo, such as a T9300.

2006-2008 MacBooks:
MacBook1,1
MacBook2,1
MacBook3,1
MacBook4,1

2008 MacBook Air (MacBookAir 1,1)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yep its the oldest supported MBP and its pre-unibody. He posted a video today showing how to make the installer and briefly says some other people have gotten it to work on an older(?) MacBook (not-pro) but the experience is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFzZWqoCng

He seems to be pretty devoted to supporting the very bottom as long as the experience is decent.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 8, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lost my dock on my laptop and only have it on my external already

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Wonder if there's hope for my two 2011 macbook airs then :q:

Yep the 2011 MBA 4.2 is supported.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Supported machines for dosdude1's Catalina patcher, now at v.1.1.6.

The Cheesegrater Mac Pro lives for another day!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah, I've already got a 5,1 equipped with an RX 580, an I/O Crest PCIe card, and 64 GB of RAM, hexacore CPU, but dammit it is getting slow compared even to the laughable TrashCan Pro..

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What do you use 64 GB of RAM for? Serious question.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

Why the hell not???

It probably wasn’t that expensive tbh.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You can never have too much RAM

Never

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Weedle posted:

having slack and chrome open at the same time (almost)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get 64 gigs of RAM sticks for $300 now. Not too bad if you just want a big e-peen as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dr. Despair posted:

having slack and chrome open at the same time (almost)

Run slack in a chrome tab?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ultimate Mango posted:

Run slack in a chrome tab?

He only has 64 gigs of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Weedle posted:

'Content creation' :smuggo: